Japengo - Maui
200 Nohea Kai Dr
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Japengo - Maui
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maui.hyatt.com/
- Phone: 8086674796
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Lounge 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Restaurant Chef Gevin Utrillo/Sushi Chef Jay Ledee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We specialize in intimate private parties up to 50 people
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Mitch McDonald 8086674796x
- Entertainment: 7 nights per week from 6:30pm-8:30pm located in the bar/cocktail lounge
A word from Japengo - Maui
A sophisticated dining experience, Japengo draws on Hawaii’s freshest, locally grown products coupled with exotic ingredients from Pacific Rim countries. Located lobby level, guests can enjoy Japengo’s indoor and outdoor patio seating overlooking resorts waterfalls and famed Ka’anapali Beach, or watch as creative sushi is rolled to order in the chic Sushi Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Japengo - Maui - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Japengo - Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (72)romantic (61)great for outdoor dining (57)special occasion (45)fit for foodies (40)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (14)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (13)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Good Sushi and entreesCostaDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed fresh sushi along with drinks at the bar one night - delicious. Another visit we did the pre - fixed 4 course dinner. Great value and perfect portions. Not bad for a restaurant in the Hyatt. We tend to prefer locally owned restaurants and unique menus, but this did not disappoint. It does not stay open later either, like most restaurants in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SukiDined on 8/27/2014Great food, setting & service. Will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauiIibbyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Always a pleasure, Japango is one of the best dining spots in Maui...service is superb, the food is excellent with many items offered with a lesser price on smaller portions that are ideal for sharing. High five to Japengo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rolls are perfectShadowDined on 8/15/2014The California roll and spicy tuna roll are on par to any of the best Japanese restaurants in Seattle. I hope Japengo opens a restaurant in Bellevue WA. Thanks for the perfect evening and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overlooked Sushi BarDenverTravelerVIPDined on 8/12/2014While the crowds go up the road to Sansei, treat yourself to this super friendly sushi bar. The Itamae here can serve up the traditional sashimi or nigiri with the best, or make something very tasty and unusual for the more adventurous. Just say "Omakase" and enjoy the ride!Special Features:
- Japengo Funluvfood22Dined on 8/8/2014First time here an was already stunned by the amazing view from the table. The service was decent, water was always filled. In regards to the sushi, the rolls were pretty good. Shrimp tempura was fine had plenty of that in California. The dragon roll was very filling and tasty. Spicy tuna roll was the star because it ha enough heat that didnt overpower the taste of the tuna. Sashimi was amazing. The salmon and ahi ahi were fresh and melts in your mouth. For dessert we got the malasadas. It was ok. Denser than the ones you would get from Yipee's but the yuzu sauce and the Kona chocolate sauce were tasty. Overall it was a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience lost with H'cane IselleRodneyfromNJDined on 8/7/2014Meal may have been better if not for storm closing in, so restaurant that is normally an open space was closed off, that is half the experience. Food was okay - short rib was somewhat over cooked and dry.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experiencevisitorDined on 8/6/2014What a find! The atmosphere, the service and the food is all top notch. We enjoyed the assorted sushi rolls,with great suggestions from our server. We are going back.Special Features:
- Best sushi everZeusylocks11Dined on 8/5/2014Definitely the best sushi we have ever had. It literally melts in your mouth. We both agreed that we would come back on our next trip even if we were staying an hour away. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable!UTFoodieDined on 8/4/2014Great Food! Great Service! Unforgettable Sunset! Amazing place to celebrate a special night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014There is a wide variety of Asian dishes offered here. The staff is very friendly. The bar is lively and friendly too. This is a very popular restaurant and is located in the Hyatt hotel. Definitely make a reservation before you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, quality presentationAlwayshungryDined on 8/1/2014Awesome staff! The fantastic, elevated beach scenery for sunset viewing (while having a glass of wine) was amazing. The pork was a little too salty so that's why 4 stars but still edible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceMauidiningDined on 7/31/2014Great food, the sushi roll was delicious and our server was very friendly and knowledgable. Would definitely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommend JapengoCelesteDined on 7/20/2014My family & I were in Maui for almost 2 weeks. Since we stayed at the Mariott along the boardwalk we enjoyed walking to dinner every night. Early on in the trip we heard that Japengo was the top rated restaurant for sushi. We were not disappointed. We enjoyed the food so much that we went back 2 more times. Twice we had Dave as our server and he was efficient and knew about everything on the menu. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Hands down, best dinner in Maui.JennyDVIPDined on 7/20/2014We tried Japengo after reading the OT reviews, all positive and decided to give it a try even though we weren't sure about a hotel restaurant. We need not have been concerned, Japengo is gorgeous. The decor and views are spectacular, particurlarly at sunset and the entire staff so friendly. Live music and cocktails were amazing and the sushi could not have been more fresh. My husband had the Manilla Clams to start and the broth was so good we wanted to drink it. The Pho was some of the best we have had and our server, Bobby was impeccable. We loved our dinner so much we are going back tonight, which we almost never do when on vacation. Best dinner we had in Maui, by far and happy to enjoy our last dinner on the island there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food! Joey is the manDakineRaulDined on 7/19/2014If you love sushi, this place is awesome. It's got an open view to the ocean and beautiful Maui sunsets. Joey was our server and was able to provide exceptional service. He was also able to make great recommendations. The Alaskan Cod appetizer was to die for. There was also an appetizer with hamachi, watermelon and lychee fruit pearls that was super tasty. Presentation was fantastic, I had to take pictures. We loved it! Thanks Joey!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Another Day in ParadiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Having always been a major sushi fan, I was hoping that the offerings would not disappoint. They didn't. As fabulous as the sushi (and presentation) was, the icing on the cake was the beautiful oceanside view and the exceptional, friendly service. Fine dining al fresco, beachside in Maui at sunset. All-in-all, this was an exceptional dining experience on all levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi restaurantCaliforniaof5Dined on 7/14/2014Looking for a great sushi restaurant in the area of our resort and we were pointed in this direction. We were not disappointed and will return during our next visit to maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencePHcoupleVIPDined on 7/11/2014Had sushi selections with family, several had cooked selections, all superb, fresh, innovative. Plus a beautiful setting by the oceanSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/8/2014This is a fantastic restaurant if you are in the mood for sushi. The sushi is one of the best I've had. Great view of the sunset and excellent service.Special Features:
- Gorgeous views!GoToMauiVIPDined on 7/6/2014If you're staying in Kaanapali, take the time to enjoy the walk down to the Hyatt. Begin by having a cocktail and enjoying the view. That alone is enough for 5 stars. The service is excellent-- friendly and attentive. My husband had the filet which he liked a lot, and my son and I had sushi (dragon, rainbow and tengu rolls and eel sushi). The soft shell crab inside the dragon roll was burnt, so that ruined that roll for me, but the other rolls were good. We finished with a choc chip martini for my husband (delicious!) and Kaanapali pie. The dining experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japengo disappointingMauiFoodLoverDined on 6/30/2014First let me say that the restaurant was very attractive with terrific views of the ocean. The service was good. The problem was the food was overpriced and left a lot to be desired. For the price and view I would go to Mama's Fish House. The food there doesn't fall short of expectations.
- Great food & sushi!011411VIPDined on 6/29/2014We came here twice during our stay, we tried the Blackened Ahi roll, Lahaina roll, Spicy tuna roll, & we were addicted to the Maguro(thick slices of Ahi) We also ordered the Korean Seafood Pancake, Ribeye & the surf & turf was a special for one of the nights, NO complaints on the food, everything was delicious!!! Strawberry Shortcake & malasadas were good desserts too! Service was great!!! We will def. be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japengo-MauiSpctravelDined on 6/29/2014beautiful open air restaurant overlooking the pacific with sunsets. Food was delicious, amazing sushi,wonderful service. I found this to be excellent in every waySpecial Features:
- Perfect dinnerLuvMauiDined on 6/29/2014Best dinner, ambiance and service. We dined outdoors with a breathtaking view of the sunset. Had the 1/2 portion of Miso Glazed New Zealand Salmon with stir fry vegetables and white rice. Every bite was moist and rich in flavor. Also had a 1/2 portion of the Japengo fried rice with pork, shrimp, egg and veggies which was delicious. Had the Tengu Ka'anapali Pie which was amazing for chocolate lovers with a brownie crust, brownie crust, banana, macadamia nut ice cream, whipped cream, caramel and chocolate. The service was excellent and our waiter very attentive which made for a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expected so much moreWGfoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014Based on the reviews fom other diners I expected a phenomenal dinner. Great view although a bit of noise from the hotel pool below. The miso soup was subpar, ribs were solid and the sushi good. I am from California so the standards for sushi are high. But for the price, even for Maui I thought it wasn't worth it. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Just WonderfulMargieDined on 6/26/2014We never tire of Japengo when we come to the island. This time we apparently weren't starving because we ordered a starter, Korean Seafood Pancakes, and were almost full when we were done. It was delicious and filling. I ordered dinner, but some dinners come in full and half orders and I asked for a half order of China Town Chow Fun, ate half of it and took the rest home for a great lunch the next day. We left completely satiated and the tab was less than $50, including something from the bar. Incredible. All the while the view is incredible, no matter the location of the table and our waiter, Bobby, was great.Special Features:
- Great choiceGreenchefDined on 6/19/2014This time we didn't go for the sushi. We ate the clams (delicious!) and then shared the seafood curry dish... Outstanding!Special Features:
- Ecletic FoodHighwaymanVIPDined on 6/18/2014The ambiance of the location was great! The Korean Seafood Pancake was truly outstanding! We had various types of rolled sushi, which were all excellent. I'll be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as we remembered, maybe betterVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 6/18/2014We dined last night at Japengo Maui Hyatt in a romantic table on the patio. So beautiful the 180 degree view for sunset. Sashimi devine, ribs and seafood noodles delicious. My Husband loves the malsades with dipping sauces because they are amazing. Service was great by Bobby and crew. Another evening to remember in Maui.Special Features:
- Success!CorkedVIPDined on 6/17/2014We had the Hamachi Kama, Hamachi and watermelon, mango shrimp salad, clams, dragon roll, and char su fried rice. All were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with the qualityFoodieonislandDined on 6/14/2014The view was beautiful but other than that we won't be going back to Japengo. We live on Maui and were staying at the Hyatt for a getaway weekend. We wanted a nice, romantic dinner with different flavors of food-since Maui doesn't have a whole lot to offer in this department. After being seated we weren't greeted by the server for probably 10 mins and the food was very mediocre. $39 for chow fun that was greasy, over cooked fried rice-we felt like we could have gone to any Chinese restaurant for this quality of food but for a 1/4 of the price. What a shame. Next time we will stick to Merrimans!Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantBeachinDined on 6/5/2014Japengo offers excellent food in a relaxed, romantic atmosphere. It is located near the pool and the ocean so in addition to music (sometimes live), the sounds of waterfalls and the surf rolling up on the beach will add to the ambience. The restaurant is laid out very well and can accommodate whatever type of dining experience you are looking for whether it's drinks and snacks, full meal, social interaction or quiet romance. The service staff are friendly and take good care of you. The food and drinks are excellent and offer both unique and traditional fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/29/2014The food was very good and the service was great!Special Features:
- Limited selection of fishJesseVIPDined on 5/28/2014Not a great sushi bar but cocktails were good. Fish was fresh but selection was very limited. Very small number of sakes. The sushi chef did not seem to be classically trained because we wer served sashimi where he had unknowingly sliced right into some bones so there were sharp pieces of bone at the end of each piece. Kai Sushi in the Ritz Carlton is much better.Special Features:
- Artistry, Quality & AmbianceCaptainCuisineDined on 5/25/2014Pricey; but great value in light of the quality and artistry from the Sushi Bar. Great, friendly and very creative chefs on the Sushi line. Service 100% and on Sunday night they have the most incredible smooth jazz duet featuring Missy on vocals and Gilbert on keyboard playing the most danceable smooth jazz on the island. We are repeat visitors to this spot for many years and have never had anything but the best of experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!SteveDined on 5/22/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Japengo. I am not a sushi fan, but my wife loved the spicy tuna roll and California roll. I loved the crunchy roll! Great times and great memories made here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WounderfulBobioDined on 5/22/2014It was amazing with great service and food. We asked to be reseated to a special table for my girl friends birthday. We were give the same table as last year. I will be going back every time I am in town. Oh and save room for desert!! It is so good we went back the next day too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonerful !!!Annette1Dined on 5/14/2014We loved this place!! Wonderful service, wonderful food.. We had drinks and food at the bar. John was wonderful bartender.. We ate here 2 nights in a row..
- Food disappointmentcarolDined on 5/10/2014Been to japengo Waikiki. It was so awesome that we looked forward to trying maui japengo. Food was completely different. Sashimi platter was disappointing. Korean pancake was disappointing too. Curry calamari was great. Staff very friendly.Special Features:
- The following 406 reviews are from the Japengo - Maui reviews archive.