Japango Sushi Restaurant
1136 Pearl St
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Japango Sushi Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boulderjapango.com/
- Phone: 3039380330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm-10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Iwasa Yukigi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Japango offers a range of catering options for all types of occasions and party sizes in and around the Boulder and Front Range area. We can provide you with freshly made Sushi catering in personalized trays for those important business luncheons all the way through to five course Japanese catering meals made at your Boulder home for special occasions with friends and family.
If you’re local to Boulder, we can bring the Sushi Bar to your house for parties where you can watch our Chef make Japanese delicacies to order for you and your friends.
A word from Japango Sushi Restaurant
Japango, set in a historic building just West of Broadway on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, CO, offers a dynamic combination of traditional and contemporary Japanese cuisine. In many ways this wildly popular restaurant feels like a direct extension of Boulder itself--sophisticated, casual and healthy. Guests enjoy a relaxed atmosphere in an award winning space designed by nationally acclaimed architect Scott Rodwin. It’s a dynamic setting, the perfect place for a first date, a family gathering, or a night out with friends. The dining room is intimate and lively while unpretentiously elegant. Japango features a large central sushi bar, vibrant colors, and a rich material palette of wood, stone and metal, which always provides an upscale dining experience. In addition to offering one of the best happy hours in town, Japango is also home to Boulder's original all-you-can-eat sushi night. The restaurant's full bar hosts unique house cocktails and an extensive sake menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Japango Sushi Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Japango Sushi Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)special occasion (18)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (10)romantic (10)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Sushi was very fresh and tasty. Love the fatty tuna and smoke salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, friendly staffRandJDined on 8/24/2014Had a great dining experience. We will be back...very soon! Especially loved the Sake Sangrias!Special Features:
- Good drinks, ok food.Run1fastDined on 8/16/2014Nice spot for dinner, but dont expect it to be quiet. If you are looking for a more energetic (a bit noisy) spot, this is a good place to try. A lot of your typical rolls and few unique combinations. Drink list was quite extensive with a number of Gluten Free beers. But the Gluten Free crab meat was an extra 5.50 per roll. Way too expensive to add on, so we stuck with the sushi. Fish was typical but not outstanding. I would come back here maybe if Hapa Sushi (across the street) was all filled up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014We booked a reservation for my Fiance's birthday. Upon arriving we were shoved in a small two-top table no more than six inches away from two couples on either side of us. Not the romantic celebration we had in mind. We asked to move to a different table and our only option was outside. We ordered our drinks, which took 15 minutes. Ordered appetizers and at the same time we ordered our meals; two separate sushi dishes. Food was great and the only saving grace of the evening. My Fiance's food came after about 30 minutes and mine came 25 minutes after that. She finished her meal before mine even arrived. Once we got our check after waiting 15 more minutes the bill was incorrect and we were billed for two entrees we did not order.Special Features:
- The craft needs refiningSteveDined on 8/3/2014I used to go to Japango weekly of not twice a week but the decline in how their nagiri was made caused me to stop. This was first time back in over a year. I noticed they expanded and redid the interior. The updates are really nice, service is still great, but sadly they let some untrained rookies make the sushi/nigir. The rolls contain too much rice and frequently fall apart before making it to your mouth. They usually contain low amounts of fish as well. The sushi cuts are not consistent...some too big, some too small. The product tastes great which is the most important. I just they can teach the rookie chefs some refinement.
- terribly disappointedmotomanDined on 7/27/2014By making our reservations through open table early in the morning we hoped for a choice table. Instead we were placed by the front door where waiting guests crowded around our table. Waitress never asked if we wanted drinks! Service sincerely lacking as we had to ask for whatever we needed. Shame. We were so looking forward to this occasion. Not going back.
- A Boulder Must-Go Restaurant!HappyCamperDined on 7/23/2014We had heard about Japango from friends and decided to go for dinner on our only night in Boulder. That was the best decision we could have made! The staff greeted us warmly, and the ambiance is beautiful ~ unusual and effective lighting & decor. There's a wonderful vertical fish tank with jellyfish too! A full bar and an excellent wine list. Food was delicious, beautiful presentation, and perfect service! Try the Lobster Tail Napalm! The whole experience was highly satisfying. The Owner/Manager Jonathan stopped by to say hello and explained to us about the fairly recent renovation and about their amazing Chef. He was so personable ~ it was a night to remember. Go and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Not goodMunchpupDined on 7/18/2014Sushi was tasteless, rice was dry. It was a Friday evening, expected much better.Special Features:
- Fine sushiWsweVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great meal! Restaurant is right on the Pearl Street Mall. Very pretty inside with a fish tank of floating jellyfish (which was awesome!) Good happy hour deals including some good appetisers! My daughter liked the sake sangria. Service is almost too quick as our food get showing up before we were ready for it. I had a Boulder bowl which was very good. All in our party enjoyed their sushi!Special Features:
- GoodneverfollowVIPDined on 7/6/2014Service was good and efficient. The ambiance is nice . Food was standard / average.Special Features:
- GoodneverfollowVIPDined on 6/29/2014Food and service was average - does not live into its ambience and reputation.Special Features:
- Outstanding Sushi BarBillSedonaDined on 6/21/2014The Sushi bar selections were excellent along with the conversation with the chefs. Best Sushi in Boulder!I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 6/3/2014LOVE the Bento boxes! Try the salmon one! Fabulous!Special Features:
- Japango gemElectraVIPDined on 5/24/2014Japango is modern, urban and has some of the best sushi and sake in Boulder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in BoulderbmanthyDined on 5/21/2014When Japangos was closed for their expansion we tried every other sushi restraunt on Pearl St (5), and none came close!Special Features:
- Good food bad serviceWicthuyVIPDined on 5/20/2014Half way through our meal we reminded the waitress we hadn't even got our miso soup. Then we asked the waitress when we would get the other half of the food we ordered. It was completely forgotten about. She had to bring out the menu to mark down the things she forgot to order for us, even though we clearly marked down what we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JapangoGOBUFFSDined on 5/19/2014The food is great, the service was absolutely amazing, and the ambiance is wonderful! I would highly recommend this place for all sushi lovers. Much better than Hapa.Special Features:
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Great food, great atmosphere! Japango is a great find in Boulder, CO. We sampled several kinds of sushi and love them all. I highly recommend the coronado roll.... tuna, avocado, jalapeno and carrot on a tempura rice cake. Super yummy!Special Features:
- Very goodKodaDined on 5/9/2014No complaints. The food and service was very good and will continue to visit JapangoSpecial Features:
- SushiLuvsushiandweedDined on 5/4/2014Japango has amazing sushi the atmosphere is great and definitely pick this place out of any other sushi places in boulderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 106 reviews are from the Japango Sushi Restaurant reviews archive.
- AnneDined on 4/24/2014A friend and I had a wonderful meal of sushi. She was very happy with it as she had never been here beforeSpecial Features:
- Sushi RiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014The Sushi rice was on the harder side taking away from the quality of the fish.Special Features:
- Great SushiHencyeDined on 4/13/2014Sat at the Sushi bar and the sushi chef takes your order which is nice because so many sushi places make you hand the order to the waitress when she finally comes by, then she has to hand the ticket to the sushi chef who then has to give the order back to the waitress then to us. Everything was great!Special Features:
- Great remodelChristinaSDined on 4/9/2014Love japango's new layout. Seems more like a sushi restaurant with excellent service. Great wine and sake list. Quiet enough to have a conversation. Excellent sushi bar staff - friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:
- Best Sushi EverLindseyDined on 3/31/2014I always come to Japango for special occasions. It's the best sushi I've ever had. The servers are nice and attentive. Conversations can be had with no trouble due to noise. The remodeled restaurant is beautiful and modern.
- Best Sushi in townboulderdotVIPDined on 3/27/2014I don't go out for sushi often - maybe every 3 or 4 months - but when I do I want it to be really fresh and tasty and creative. That describes the sushi at Japango. I can't define exactly why I think it's the best in town, but every time I leave there I am moaning from the fabulous tastes I've just enjoyed. Highly recommend their unique "special rolls"!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great everythingRealJapsDined on 3/25/2014We came had a reservation. Were seated promptly. I went to Japango with 3 Japanese friends and a Thai friend. 2 of the Japanese consider themselves as traditional. They had a very good time and a lot of happy hour hot sake. We had a waitress that was around all the time. And the best - she spoke Japanese. Great experience. And the best of all was of course the food. We went for all you can eat on Tuesday for $35. I recommend Japango.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprised!JamieDined on 3/21/20145 of us went out for a young birthday and had a 930pm reservation. I was skeptical walking up and thought I'd made a mistake on taking kids here, but even though the bar was busy and energetic it was a less rowdy crowd and felt quite sophisticated inside. Our waitress was a bit stiff yet very professional. The tuna 3 ways as an appetizer was a little disappointing and had me fearful of what was to come. But the sushi, by far, they best I have had to date, and where's the ocean? The rolls we different and combinded interesting flavor and were amazing. I will be definitely returning to Japango my next time in Boulder, CO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better nearbyPlaneCrazyVIPDined on 3/21/2014If you didn't have other options so close by, you'd be pretty happy you have Japengo. But in downtown Boulder there's Hapa, Sushi Zanmai, and Sushi Tora. In my opinion, all three have better Sushi. The prices seemed a bit elevated compared to the others as well. One of the things you do get for that extra money is a more elegant and chic Sushi experience. So in all, its not terrible sushi by any means, but with better options so close, we won't be back.
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/28/2014This was my first time at the restaurant since the renovations. The ambience is much nicer now. The chef who made our sushi was not very good this time. The nigiri was cut too thin. Sometimes the fish did not touch the plate on either side of the rice. Sometimes it was too long and crumpled on the plate. The rice was not the right texture. It was too gummy. It seemed like the chefs were not being consceintious. We waited about 45 minutes for our food, so I would have liked it to be more appealing when it arrived. The service was good and the fish was fresh. Hopefully this was just an off night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japango Poorly Managed - Don't GoBillyStjohnsDined on 2/16/2014This poorly managed, restaurant is lucky to be situated in an area where pot-influenced students with the munchies and Mom and Dad's money - abound. The Denver Japango would never last with management like this one. -Five tables in the restaurant; Sunday evening; 25 minutes to get one drink order from the bar and only then when I went to the bar myself and asked for it after watching the ice melting as it set there for 10 minutes; -55 minutes after ordering food - no food had arrived. Manager only showed when we were leaving after paying for drink.
- Great Vegetarian OptionsQueen4LifeLoraDined on 2/15/2014Japango was wonderful. We had the vegetarian miso, Mile High Tofu (teriyaki tofu), and vegetarian sushi and thoroughly enjoyed it. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2SushiLovers2SushiLoversDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I live northeast of Longmont, so use Japango once a year as our Valentines Day treat. This year though we decided to visit more often, as the food is always so exceptional and we love sitting at the sushi bar. Our Sushi Chef, Forrest did a great job this week and was such a pleasure to visit with! Between the food, people and the atmosphere, we love Japango and will be visiting more.Special Features:
- Best in Denver/BoulderAbrahamFromanDined on 2/14/2014I get to the finer Sushi restaurants in the Denver area whenever possible. In concise terms, experience is the best. Get the Himalayan roll, Tijuana roll(for something fun and different), the number one Tuna app, shrimp and pork shumai, pork belly small plate and any sashimi. The remodel is spectacular. I was there four days ago and can't stop talking about it.Special Features:
- valentines dinnermitchDined on 2/14/2014We had to go early due to heavy bookings and weren't told until we got there that valentines prix fixe wasn't available until later. The sushi was good, but everything else was much too salty.Special Features:
- Wows my out-of-townersemochkaDined on 2/14/2014I take my visiting colleagues who love sushi to Japango because I can count on the food and the service. The atmosphere is better than ever now with the remodel - they loved the jellyfish tank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JapangogypsyjulesDined on 2/11/2014I took my husband and two sons to celebrate their respective birthdays. FABULOUS! We got the all you can eat that they offer on Tuesday nights. Those boys ordered one of each thing whether they knew what it was or not, and our server was extremely knowledgable and even brought out things for us to try. I have never seen my boys have so much fun. The quality of the food is stellar and fresh and just insanely delicious. Incredible experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved the new space!BoulderdinerVIPDined on 2/7/2014We have always loved Japango - easily our favorite sushi spot in Boulder. We hadn't been there since they expanded and the new space made the experience even better. We enjoyed a completely relaxed meal on a Friday night. The place was hopping but we didn't feel rushed. The food was superb. We tried one of their special rolls, The Himalayan, and it was terrific. Please put that one on the menu. Our server was pretty busy and forgot a few things but she was so nice and delightful and we enjoyed the experience so much that it didn't matter. The only thing we would change is that we were seated in a spot where we could see the TVs. We just don't like the distraction when we are dining and next time we'll ask for the main dining room.Special Features:
- Best Sushi Restaurant in BoulderLishyloveDined on 2/6/2014Japango is our go to sushi restaurant. We love the food and the environment, and they have a pretty fun drink menu. Love the place and I am sure we will be back in a couple weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New LookSamBolderDined on 12/31/2013The food was very good, and the newly remodeled dining area and bar greatly contributed to the positive overall experience. The new Japango rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.