3770 East Sunrise Drive
Tucson, AZ 85718Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.janos.com/
- Phone: (520) 615-6100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, 5:30pm - 9:00pm. Friday - Saturday, 5:30pm - 9:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, French
- Executive Chef: Janos Wilder
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces for 12 to 120 guests include our intimate and stunning Wine Room, the elegant Room and the semi-private Upper Dining Room. Spectacular receptions can be held on our terrace which showcases panoramic views of the entire city below. Corporate and social events feature custom designed menus and are individually tailored for each of our customers.
- Private Party Contact: Catering Assistant 5206156100
A word from Janos
Inspired by an array of local growers and using ingredients that have been cultivated in this region for the past 2000 years, James Beard Award recipient Janos Wilder creates beautiful dishes bursting with the flavor of the territory. Much of the fresh seafood and shrimp come from the Sea of Cortez with other items flown from around the globe. Veal, pork, lamb, beef and game are treated with innovative preparations which emphasize the nuance and subtlety of French technique and the dynamic flavors of the chiles, corn and herbs from the region. Dramatic presentations make the food as visually compelling as it is delicious.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Janos reviews from OpenTable diners
- Janos will be missedVandraVIPDined on 5/26/2012After 30 astounding years, Janos closed its doors. We were lucky enough to eat there its final evening, and as usual, the service and food were delectable. This was the last restaurant in Tucson that provided thorough old-school service, where any whim and detail was efficiently addressed with the utmost skill. The owner chef, Janos Wilder, still runs a fantastic restaurant in the downtown area called, appropriately enough, Downtown Kitchen and Cocktails. That is now where you'll find us sipping a culinary cocktail and savoring deftly prepared food with unique ingredients.Special Features:
- Sorry tosee Janos close.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2012Sorry tosee Janos close. The reastruant will be missed. ALWAYS excellent food and service. A bit expensive.Special Features:
- Outstanding all around. ItKLRDMDVIPDined on 5/19/2012Outstanding all around. It is too bad they're closing forever this week :-(Special Features:
- Excellent food and wine and2winosVIPDined on 5/16/2012Excellent food and wine and service as always. Sorry to see Janos close. We've had many fine meals here over the years.Special Features:
- as Janos is closing in 2 weeks,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012as Janos is closing in 2 weeks, the wait staff seemed to be disinterested, one of our courses was skipped, and the room was very hot. It was definitely not the experience we were hoping for.
- The food was excellent. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012The food was excellent. The service was above and beyond. We had a Mother's Day that my wife will remember forever.Special Features:
- Excellent food. AC in restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/13/2012Excellent food. AC in restaurant was not sufficient which made dining unpleasant.Special Features:
- First time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012First visit to Janos... enjoyed it very much. The staff was excellent, the food even better than I expected.Special Features:
- Overall, we were disappointedBarbaraFVIPDined on 5/10/2012Overall, we were disappointed and it was definitely not worth the extremely high prices. First,the current menu was not what I saw on website months ago when I made the reservation. Turns out they change menu monthly. But there was very little our party of 8 could choose from on the current menu as we don't eat pork or shellfish. Would not have chosen this place if I had seen the current menu. Secondly, service (or kitchen) was extremely slow! We were one of the first tables to arrive at 7:00 pm and almost the last to finish at 10:00. And there were larger parties than ours that night.Special Features:
- Janos will be closing itsBobbyVIPDined on 5/7/2012Janos will be closing its doors forever on May 26, which is a great tragedy. I regarded Janos as my culinary home in the world: I would return there every year for the New Year's Eve dinner, returning early from Europe, just so as not to miss the dinner. I have also taken all of the members of my immediate family there, who live abroad, as well as my close friends, my godson, and anyone else who has an appreciation for fine dining, or whom I wanted to experience just how exceptional restaurant service can be. Janos will be dearly missed... Shame on the Westin La Paloma for allowing such a culinary institution to leave its property after 30 exceptional years.Special Features:
- Everything was good - notParadiseknifeDined on 5/5/2012Everything was good - not great. Only one server taking care of the entire restaurant. They may be resting of awards of the past without staying fresh and inventive.
- Great food, but they are closingAribVIPDined on 5/3/2012Great food and service. But they are closing so deserted and very few diners..Special Features:
- Expensive but worth it. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/30/2012Expensive but worth it. Food and service were greatSpecial Features:
- The food was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/2012The food was outstanding, the menu choices were inventive, artistic and diverse - the service was very helpful, friendly and accommodating to our requests and questions. Do not let the close proximity to a hotel be a deterrent - we feel the hotel is benefiting from such a delicious and artistic menu being so close.Special Features:
- Janos Swan SongRoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 4/27/2012Had to make one more trip to Janos before it closes on May 26, 2012. Visited with my budding foodie 11 year old son, and we had exceptional service and a wonderful meal. I will miss this restaurant but look forward to Janos Wilder's next venture!Special Features:
- Janos dining is always a treat.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/13/2012Janos dining is always a treat. Its elegant blending of tastes and beautiful presentation is always exceptional!Special Features:
- It did not seem like theyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2012It did not seem like they had enough help the evening we dined there. They were quick to fill the water glasses upon arrival and during the meal, but it took about 15 min. to get our server to take our food order, take our first drink order, get a red wine book to peruse, and del. our bread basket which he did all at once. It seemed like he felt he needed to do all of the above at once in case he did not make it back ever again! And he did not check back much after that!
- Most enjoyable dinner at Janos.SteveVIPDined on 4/7/2012Most enjoyable dinner at Janos. Had not been in a few years, but found it to be better...the true test of a fine dining establishment. The food was very fresh and creative...really recommend the prix fixe menu, which showcases the evening's offerings. Service was very professional, but also fun and responsive. All in all, Janos is still at or near the top in Tucson.Special Features:
- Fabulous tasting menuKelbyVIPDined on 4/7/2012Janos has consistently thrilled us with its wonderful food! We again did the Ten Terrific Tastes and were so pleased! Presentation of the food is always a treat, too. Pricey? Yes. Formal? Not really. You'd feel comfortable in a long dress or a polo shirt.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/6/2012Our favorite restaurant in Tucson. Food is unique, beautiful presentations and always very good. Wine list is notable.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/3/2012one word-fabulous! Every year when we travel to Tucson, we always dine at Janos. Food is always beautiful and delicious. Service is exceptional! Those margaritas are to die for! See you next year.Special Features:
- Janos had oe of the best tastinglorciofanVIPDined on 4/2/2012Janos had oe of the best tasting menus I have ever had. The flavors were excellent and the dishes were beautifully presented. The wait staff was very accomodating in describing the various selections so that we could make the best choices.Special Features:
- The food pairings with winewinefoodDined on 3/31/2012The food pairings with wine are apparently the way to go. The food courses were quite interesting and well executed. However, the wines selected for the courses were of lower quality/distinction and not always befitting the level of the product on the plate. Finally, the actual wine pours were low in volume compared to many other fine dining experiences, but in this location for the above reason, this was not offensive.Special Features:
- Great restaurant for a culinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2012Great restaurant for a culinary adventure! My wife and I had the tasting sampler and it was Awsome! Service was excellent, felt like 4 people were attending to our desires. If you want a gourmet experience while in Tucson, this is the place.Special Features:
- The food was OK, not reallytheaterchicDined on 3/26/2012The food was OK, not really what we expected. I'd have to say the menu was almost gimmicky - lobster with vanilla???
- Cutting-edge cuisineVandraVIPDined on 3/22/2012Over then years, Janos has remained one of the top restaurants in Tucson. The very hands-on chef/owner consistently is nominated for local national awards. His foods boast complex layers of flavors, and he concocts combinations that only a supremely talented chef can create. Order the "10 Tastes" - your senses will be titillated and your stomach satisfied.Special Features:
- Spectacular presentation butRecEaterVIPDined on 3/9/2012Spectacular presentation but for a high end restaurant, the flavors were disappointing. Perhaps we caught them on an off night. Management could not have been nicer when they noticed that we were not completing our meal.Special Features:
- Executive chef Janos and chefOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2012Executive chef Janos and chef de cuisine Devin do a masterful job with the menu. We did the tasting menu and it was brilliant! Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Excellent food, attentiveKateDined on 3/8/2012Excellent food, attentive service, and a personal greeting from Janos. A very memorable evening.Special Features:
- Superb food, fascinatinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/1/2012Superb food, fascinatingly different from traditional offerings, served in elegant setting by extraordarily professional and attentive staff. A gem!Special Features:
- A visit to Janos is a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/27/2012A visit to Janos is a must for any serious foodie when in Arizona. We visit from the U.K.Special Features:
- Great dining experience; OpenTableAuggieDined on 2/24/2012Great dining experience; OpenTable is a quick and easy way to reserve a table at your favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great waitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2012Excellent food, great waitstaff who were attentive without being overly so. Great ambiance, quiet enough to be able to carry on a pleasant conversation. Outstanding wine list.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/18/2012I was given a $100 gift certificate and I have to say that even with what I paid, my family was disappointed. The food was just 'ok' and VERY overpriced relative to the market (we have had better in Seattle at much cheaper prices). The service was VERY good and should be recognized, but the overall value was very poor. I would not return. Also, the building architect should have been fired because there was no view from inside the restaurant; even though the place is perched on ridge with a spectacular setting over Tucson.
- My wife and I went to JanosOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012My wife and I went to Janos with high hopes and were not disappointed. We are not usually 'fine dining' type people. As such, the trip to Janos was taken with a touch of trepidation. We both ordered the tasting menu and were very impressed. The service was quick, polite, and professional. We were offered a wine list and while neither of us got the wine, we were both impressed by the selection. The food came out in 4 courses of 3 dishes each. All were very well plated, well made, and great to eat. Even items we do not usually enjoy were fantastic. I do not like olives but the olive sorbet was a treat. My wife does not like mushrooms but the pork belly dish with mushrooms was her favorite. All in all we could not be happier.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day at Janosluv2doIndianDined on 2/14/2012Had a reservation for 7:30P on Valentines day; were seated within 15 minutes. Guests next to us complained of being "rushed". A fixed menu was being offered and their next course was brought out before they had finished course they were eating. When finally served, food was no longer hot. Although not rushed, our food was never hot, warm at best. I was disappointed with all four courses;e.g., tenderloin was tough, ribs (no bone?) were dry, appetizer was sooo skimpy, could have been complimentary. Only one of the courses had what I consider "right" quantity of food.
- Good Food, Not So Good ServiceGoodfoodDined on 2/14/2012Went for Valentine's Day. There was a set 4-course menu (meat, fish or vegetarian). The food was very good. I was surprised that the service was not so good though. My husband was brought the wrong second course. The waiter could not remember what we had ordered for dessert (there were only 2 desserts). My ice tea glass sat empty for two courses. When it was finally taken away another it was not refilled for quite awhile. I expect more from Janos and for the $200 bill.Special Features:
- Had flowers delivered by theazwineguyVIPDined on 2/11/2012Had flowers delivered by the restaurant and everything was as anticipated. Food excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal, we had thejennDined on 2/4/2012Wonderful meal, we had the scallops and duck breast, lobster tail for appetizer. helpful sommelier.Special Features:
- Janos is still hands downBobbyVIPDined on 2/4/2012Janos is still hands down one of my favorite restaurants in the world. The food is imaginative and meticulously prepared, and the service is always impeccable. I can also highly recommend that wine pairings offered with the tasting menus. Thus far, I have yet to discover a more skilled sommelier.Special Features: