Janko's Little Zagreb
223 W 6th St
Bloomington, IN 47404Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Janko's Little Zagreb
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.littlezagreb.com/
- Phone: 8123320694
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - Close, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Janko's Little Zagreb
Janko's Little Zagreb is the place for the best steaks in the Midwest. Located at 6th and Morton in downtown Bloomington, Indiana, Janko's Little Zagreb has been the home of tender, thick, daily cut steaks and an impressive selection of fine wines and beer for over 25 years. Open Monday through Saturday for dinner, Janko's Little Zagreb also serves a variety of Yugoslavian dishes and top-notch St. Louis-style barbecue ribs. Vegetarian meals are also available. Reservations are accepted and encouraged, and the atmosphere is casual and leisurely.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Janko's Little Zagreb - Best Restaurants in Bloomington ›
Janko's Little Zagreb reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (91)special occasion (88)good for groups (71)fit for foodies (52)hot spot (38)notable wine list (37)kid-friendly (19)romantic (8)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Awesome dinner...just what you want---salad, steak and potato!Special Features:
- Casual Environment - Upscale MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014In-spite of being seated 20 min past our reservation time, the service providers were courteous and efficient from the host to the wait staff. Great Steaks (we had the Rib-eye & a Filet) & Wine list ( Caymus Pinot Noir) - I'd pass on the "specialty" meatball appetizers - not pleasing for either of our tastes.
- Love Little ZagrebPops04Dined on 10/18/2014Post IU Homecoming game and the food and the staff did a wonderful job keeping pace with the crowd. The meatballs are a must and my steak was done to a perfect medium. Great time, great value!Special Features:
- Pricey but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We went on homecoming weekend so the place was packed. Very noisy. We had to yell to talk to each other. The prices were pretty steep but the food was excellent! Everybody had steak and all were very happy. The spicy meatballs appetizer was good too. Good wine list as well. The best part of the experience was the service by far! The wait staff were super busy but always smiling, took the time to talk to you about the food and wine and were very efficient. Great place for a great steak and some fun but expect a big check too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Little Zagreb's always delivers a fun dining experience. Excellent food and service. Tasty steaks. Great wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IU weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Found this restaurant listed as one of Bloomington's best. With mixed reviews, we gave it a shot. Mingled with regulars while we waited to be seated- that was good. Very loud, but went with another couple-not a quiet evening. Atmosphere of a sports bar with amazing steaks! Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey But GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Janko's Little Zagreb is a Bloomington institution and always good. A little pricey, but great steaks and good service. A hole in the wall atmosphere with checked tablecloth lends to the Steakhouse ambiance. Nothing fancy...just good steak!Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Little Zagrebs is one of the best neighborhood restaurants in the state and maybe in the Midwest, especially for meat. Your servers are some of the best. The food is very well prepared and timely and the wine is terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Meal!funkbee13Dined on 10/15/2014My husband wanted a T-Bone steak for his birthday, and we went to the best steakhouse in town!Special Features:
- 10 Years LaterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014Seems like forever since my last visit but WOW! Steaks are very good and the service was great! Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- Great food and excellent serviceJanetDined on 10/11/2014Reservation was honored. The table was ready and waiting for us. Best steak we have had in a long time. Prepared exactly as we ordered!!! The cheesecake was wonderful and enough for two. Service was great and wine list was excellent. We will return. Noise level did not bother us...it is a casual busy restaurant and noise in a college town is expected. We did not feel at all rushed even though there were people waiting to be seated. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The food is really the only reason to dine in this establishment. Everything else is good as well, but the food is tops.Special Features:
- Little ZagrebHungryManDined on 10/11/2014The service is always excellent. Multiple people taking care of you. Decent wine list. Great ribs, chicken and steak during our visit, along with a jumbo shrimp cocktail. Took an order of the dynamite meatballs home. Love this place.Special Features:
- TinaFeyGlassesDined on 10/10/2014Speedy service once we were sat. Someone was always there when we needed them. Great Food.Special Features:
- Not so hidden gemsushiloverVIPDined on 10/10/2014Steak for two would feed a platoon. Generous portions of excellent cuts of meat. Each order should come automatically with a take home boxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DinnnerGeorgeDined on 10/7/2014We took our son (an IU student) out for dinner at Little Zagreb's a couple days ago. We all had filets. Each was cooked to order and tasted great. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. Always a highlight when we visit Bloomington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedmayBlastvisitDined on 10/4/2014Janko's has been a favorite of mine for decades however my last visit was not even close to literally all of my previous meals. The host was rude, our salad was delivered after our food came out and my steak tasted like lighter fluid (not sure how). After this experience I am not sure I will return.
- FoodmanRoadwarriorDined on 10/4/2014Great place for a great meal. Steaks better than any other steak house in Indiana- any other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks!GwenDined on 10/4/2014We discovered this restaurant 4 years ago and returned to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The service and the food is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014My husband and I went there for our 15th anniversary. Although the seating was a little crowded, the service and food was excellent. We had a wonderful dinner and would highly recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My First Janko's Experience.Luv2eatsteakDined on 10/2/2014We took our granddaughter there for dinner. She is a freshman at IU. Everything was wonderful from the bread and salad to the main course. My husband and I had the steak for two. It was a huge steak and tasted amazing. One of the best I've ever eaten. I am looking forward to visiting our granddaughter again and eating at Janko's to try your ribs. I've heard how great they are. I also loved being able to reserve a table online.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drivePDogatthetableDined on 10/1/2014I drive from Fishers, IN to Zagreb at least once a month, always worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STEAK!!!nickDined on 9/27/2014Hands down one of the best steaks, if not the best, that you will ever eat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014one of our daughters favorite, made a reservation well in advance for 8:30 Saturday Sept. 27th. Still had to wait for 45 minutes. Host is skilled at saying "just a few minutes when you arrive. Would not go on a weekend ever again. sorryI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud with long wait timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We waited over an hour past our reservation time for a table. There is no seating for those waiting so we stood for an hour. The noise level was so loud that conversation was sometimes impossible. Food was good but definitely not worth the price after the long wait and the noise!Special Features:
- noiseeaterbewareDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant has great food but is way too small you sit up against the table next to you no privacy and it is so loud you can not hear the people at you own table speak. There was also a line to the ladies room that was backed up next to the water table and dinning tables.Special Features:
- iucatmanDined on 9/27/201440 years coming here, still great steaks and the place to go in Bloomington.Special Features:
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014great food and service as usual! It was very loud, but that is as expected on a Saturday after the IU game!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kinda CrazyJayhawkSwedeDined on 9/26/2014Had been here 20 years ago and was really looking forward to the return trip. It's kind of a zoo trying to check in - very little space and a lot of people waiting. Definitely make a reservation! I had the Porterhouse and it was a big disappointment - very fatty. We also had the strip steak (great) and filet (a little over cooked, but what do you expect when they want it medium well!). Had lobster along with it - so-so... All in all a good experience, but wish I would have gotten the filet.Special Features:
- Must College steakhouselarsd4Dined on 9/26/2014Dad's weekend at IU. Nowhere better to take your son for dinner. Packed to the rafters and fun on vinyl tablecloths. Filet came out quickly but wasn't the medallion I expected. Instead kind of a three part connected thing. Medium seemed overcooked (very little pink left), but it was delicious. Amazing rub. I'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the Steak LoverJavamamaDined on 9/23/2014Great steaks. We had 7 in our party and were squeezed into a table for 6 which was a little tight. Salad was boring and so much dressing that I couldn't eat much of it. Would definitely recommend asking for dressing on the side. We got the sirloin for 3 and others had filet and everyone agreed sirloin was the best. Been coming here for years, but interior could use a little updating & a bar would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCicerokidDined on 9/22/2014We had a group of 12 and all raved about the food. The steaks were excellent, perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bloomington LandmarkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014For those who want to visit one of Bloomington's landmarks, this is part of that bucket list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy ridiculousNoisyDined on 9/9/2014The male host seated us right next to a20 top and 10 top. Second time the same host has done that in a month. I had made reservations. There were plenty of empty tables in other room. Ridiculous!! I wanted to move but my kids felt that would embarrass them. Disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXPENSIVEAmyCDined on 9/8/2014While an I. U. tradition and a review many won't agree with, I thought the food was good but not worth the $$. $99 for 2 filet that came with a small salad and a baked potato. No alcohol. Atmosphere is I.U. but felt old and dingy to me. Took my nephew there for his birthday but don't think I need to revisit. Service was great and hostess was very pleasant. If you want to GO WHERE THEY ALL GO and pay a crazy price for a piece of meat...ENJOY!Special Features:
- Great steaks, bad atmosphereChloetashaDined on 9/6/2014I love this restaurant but the noise level brings the experience down dramatically unfortunately. The tables are packed in and there are times it is so noisey you cannot even hear the person next to you let alone the other people at your table. The steaks are incredible and the wine list is extensive and wonderful with excellent prices on very high end wines.Special Features:
- outstanding food!skinnyfoodjunky55Dined on 9/6/2014One of the BEST steaks I've ever had! A huge 20 ounce ribeye, cooked perfectly and very juicy. Excellent flavor, not covered with spices and salts like so many other places do. Had the meatballs too, wow! Nice and spicy, just the way i like some of my food. The service was awesome, VERY friendly and attentive and we didn't feel rushed. I HIGHLY reccomend going to Janko's Little Zagreb....just awesome all the way aroubd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We come for the steak. Nothing else. The servers are usually pretty good but the ambiance could not be worse.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner of Choice2PoundSirloinDined on 9/2/2014My bride is first-generation Croatian. Janko's Little Zagreb became the perfect restaurant as soon as we moved to Southern Indiana. We celebrate our anniversary with the sirloin for two - medium well, two loaded baked potatoes, two salads. When we first started dining at Janko's, we devoured the entire 2 pounds. As we've aged, we reduced the amount enjoyed at Janko's and increased the wonders of left over amazing sirloin in our subsequent meals at home - Italian beef, BBQ beef, Philly beef, beef stew, beef tacos, you get the idea. As we eat the left-overs, we fondly remember the dinner a Janko's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmedRocketgirlVIPDined on 9/2/2014Poorly executed. Food was average at best. Not sure how they stay in business. Horrible decor. Reservation was for 5:00 and had to call them to unlock the door to get in. Knats were everywhere. Salad was a bunch of lettuce thrown into a bowl with a glob of dressing on top. Many other dining opportunities that are superb in this area make this place a last choice before starvation.