Janko's Little Zagreb
223 W 6th St
Bloomington, IN 47404Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Janko's Little Zagreb
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.littlezagreb.com/
- Phone: (812) 332-0694
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - Close, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Janko's Little Zagreb
Janko's Little Zagreb is the place for the best steaks in the Midwest. Located at 6th and Morton in downtown Bloomington, Indiana, Janko's Little Zagreb has been the home of tender, thick, daily cut steaks and an impressive selection of fine wines and beer for over 25 years. Open Monday through Saturday for dinner, Janko's Little Zagreb also serves a variety of Yugoslavian dishes and top-notch St. Louis-style barbecue ribs. Vegetarian meals are also available. Reservations are accepted and encouraged, and the atmosphere is casual and leisurely.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Janko's Little Zagreb - Best Restaurants in Bloomington ›
Janko's Little Zagreb reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (103)special occasion (92)good for groups (82)fit for foodies (64)notable wine list (46)hot spot (46)kid-friendly (18)romantic (7)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great service - good steaks!KathyDined on 11/14/2014Service was exemplary! Food all very good but overpriced for the ambiance, limited beer list. Would have been nice if there had been big screen TV's to watch the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best steak ever!HoosierHarmonyDined on 11/14/2014I first went to Zagreb's about 33 years ago when I first moved to Bloomington. I remember being amazed at the aromas and size of the steaks that were sizzling on the grill. (There is no great place to wait for a table if you don't have a reservation) I have always had good service there and the steaks are back to being as dependable as they were 33 years ago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ReputationSteveDined on 11/14/2014Known for "large pieces of meat" that are exceptional, but on three visits the first steak was burned, the second rewarmed/grey, and finally raw. Likely never to return.
- Great spot to treat your college student!IUmom32Dined on 11/14/2014The portions are huge... you'll be taking leftovers home for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best flavor in town!TravelDebDined on 11/11/2014Although the meal itself is quite basic, the flavor can't be beat! The service is top notch as well. Always my choice for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksDanTDined on 11/8/2014I had the 11oz filet and it was outstanding. It is crowded and noisey, but that is all part of the expereince you get at this resturant. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a great steak. They also have a large selection of wine and beer. It is a little pricey, but not out of line for the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SnickersVIPDined on 11/8/2014Although the food was really good, they were running about 1/2 behind on the reservation times. Seating was conjested. We were right by a main pathway. Also we were near the service area and I think they had a window open. It was uncomfortably cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation system messed up!Tmt331Dined on 11/8/2014Made reservations in August for our November dinner date because I knew the weekend would be an extremely busy one as it was Parents Weekend. Finally seated at 8:45 for our 8:00pm reservation. According to one of the girls pouring our water, it was the most reservations in their history that night. So it makes me wonder if they overbooked? If this Open Table system communicates effectively? Or was it just a certain chain of events that led to a huge jam in the service. The steak was out of this world, seasoned and melt in your mouth delicious. The rest of the meal was lackluster. Dry, burnt rolls. Basic iceberg lettuce salad drowning in dressing. And your basic baked potato. The meat was what you came for, obviously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JCS67Dined on 11/8/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our steak dinner. Perfectly cooked and accompanied by a well priced bottle of wine, we could not have enjoyed a better post game meal. Service was friendly and well paced on a busy Saturday night. A perfect choice!Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014Went here for the first time as we visit our daughter for parents weekend. Food was good. My daughter ordered ribs and ask for the sauce on the side. The waitress advised her that the sauce was already on the ribs….unfortunately did not let her know that the ribs were swimming in sauce and to top the sauce is very spicy. So needless to say my daughter did not enjoy her dinner. It would have been nice to know this ahead of time, she would have definitely ordered something different. Very pricing for what you get.Special Features:
- OverratedOverratedVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is the third time we have been dined here and again we are not impressed. We had a 7:00pm reservations and we're not seated till 7:40. They squish you into a non designed waiting area where you are waiting with others who have not been seated who also had reservations. The food is just mediocre!!!Special Features:
- Vibrant atmosphere, good foodNJontheRoadDined on 11/8/2014Despite reservation we waited 20 minutes and the rolls were blah...however the waitress was awesome. I love when they remember who ordered what and refilled water at regular intervals etc. The meatballs are spicy and tasty. We all loved our meal. The wine selection was perfect - good pricy and reasonable wines. Great place to go with a group when wanting to celebrate.Special Features:
- Disappointment!IndyMomDined on 11/8/2014Dined on parents weekend, way too crowded, wait staff running around like you were eating in a chop shop not a nice steakhouse. Host didn't do well with crowd control & let those waiting hold the outside doors open on a very windy cold evening therefore we froze while eating our expensive meal! We had to dine with our coats on! We had hoped for a memorable parents weekend meal with our IU student but it was truly a disappointment. Servers were rushed/rudely grabbing dishes and things off table before we were done. My filet tasted like nothing, expensive plain steak. Not atmosphere we expected & tables way too close together. They served us frozen dinner rolls that had been unthawed & then burnt on the grill to defrost! Won't be going back!Special Features:
- Joey ZeeJoeyzeeDined on 11/7/2014Food and service were great the restaurant was jammed and everything went perfectSpecial Features:
- Best steak I have ever hadBethVIPDined on 11/7/2014This place was amazing. GREAT STEAKS Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks & wine list!crkdrkVIPDined on 11/7/2014Great ribeye, cooked to perfection. A very reasonably priced wine list with outstanding selections. A must visit when in bloomington. Will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Janko's is worth the waitnicdrewDined on 11/7/2014We have been here before and you will wait a long while for a table that is so worth your wait. BUT you can make a reservation thru open table which will save you the long wait. Food is excellent, fresh and plenty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ZagrebHLouisNikelDined on 11/7/2014I've been to Little Zagreb twice now and have been extremely satisfied both times. It is certainly not an upscale steakhouse, but has an amazing feel to it. The food has always been excellent. Additionally, the prices are very reasonable. For the quality of the steak, I believe Little Zagreb is actually a very good deal. The only mishap occurred when a waitress accidentally dropped another diners T-Bone onto our table. Nobody got anything on them and it was actually very amusing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I.U. Parents' Weekend CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/7/2014We were in Bloomington to see my daughter, an I.U. freshman, for parents' weekend. My wife, son and I hosted our daughter and two of her friends for an enjoyable steak dinner at Janko's. Our waitress was very good and she was backed up by friendly assistants. The steaks were great, as always ans we will return the next time we are in Bloomington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks are very goodLilzerfDined on 11/4/2014The menu does not have a lot of options for a person who eats relatively light but still wants the fabulous flavor of steak and vegetables. With a small sized steak, there should be an option to replace a pototoe with a steamed vegetable and not have to pay $3.50 extra. Also waitress should ask if you want your salad with your meal. Two different waitresses tried removing my salad when my steak came, and I like eating it with the meal. Also, having a lot left on my plate I asked for all of it to go. The waitress took it away and packed my steak only in foil then white bag. When I got home it was just steak. They did not package the potatoe and my roll (in which I wanted all of it). Food was good, but waitress staff wanted to rush us out.Special Features:
- Great Bloomington InstitutionKariDined on 11/1/2014Our son wanted to go to Janko's for his 21st birthday. Perfect place to help him celebrate.Special Features:
- Must Try This Bloomington TraditionbcohenlawDined on 11/1/2014We have been enjoying Janko's Little Zagreb since our son was an IU student from 2004-2007. You don't go for the linen tablecloths and quiet ambiance because there is none. You go for the outstanding food, excellent wine list, and fast and friendly service. The spicy meatballs are a one of a kind item that must be tried. The sauce is so flavorful that we always request a small bowl of it to put on our baked potato as well! The steaks are large, fork tender, simply seasoned and grilled to perfection. This is a steak lovers' paradise! The wine list is well-priced and full of excellent choices at all price points. This family-owned restaurant is perfect for celebrating a birthday or a weekend night out. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Zagreb's in BloomingtonmlbluvDined on 10/29/2014My boyfriend (an IU grad) and I recently visited Bloomington and had dinner at Zagreb's. While the food was OK, we felt it was not what we expected for the prices charged. The steak was OK, the baked potato was barely warm when served, the salad was OK. The blue cheese dressing was excellent.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014We had a large group (21), and the service and food were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but PriceyHonestFoodCriticDined on 10/28/2014This restaurant is priced at the higher-end of the typical Bloomington restaurant, although the food and atmosphere falls well short of a great food experience. Most steaks are priced between $32.00-$40.00 which is typical for high-end steak houses like Ruth Chris and Mortons. Although with small wooden booths, red plaid tablecloths, and average food presentations and quality, you'll be disappointed if you compare it to those restaurant chains. The salad and soup rivaled something from Ponderosa, and the baked potato still wrapped in foil says Ponderosa all the way. The steak was higher quality, but nowhere near a high end steak house. The wine list isn't too bad however with may high-end wines, and a decent amount of mid priced wines.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I were out celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary. I had only been one other time several years ago. The tables are placed close together and there is little walk room to navigate. I observed premade salad to be brough out in, what looked like, a trash bag, and dumped into a white plastic bin. My husband and I were lucky enough to get a corner booth in the back of the restaurant. Our server was wonderful, as were support staff. Our water and wine glasses were kept full. I ordered the Ribeye. I realize that the marbling is what makes this cut more flavorful but my steak seemed to have an excessive amount of fat.Special Features:
- Great meal - as alwayscubswin2016Dined on 10/25/2014Another great meal at Little Zag's. As others have mentioned before, you don't go here for the ambiance or frills, you go because of the great service and the fantastic steaks. Wine list is also very good. So if you can leave your fancy pants at home, try this place and you'll be hookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite RestaurantRockstarDined on 10/25/2014This is my favorite restaurant! It is 2 hours from our house but worth the drive! Awesome steaks and burgers - never have had anything bad. Service is wonderful and quality and quantity of food superb! Overall this place outstanding!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealnomoredenniesDined on 10/24/2014If you are going to Zagreb, you are not settling for the t-bone at Denny's. So go in prepare to spend a little to enjoy a good piece of steak. And while you are at it, order a bottle / glass of wine to go with it. I really enjoyed my experience. :)Special Features:
- Off night?Hank347Dined on 10/22/2014Been here before and the food and service were great then. It was on a Wednesday evening, so it wasn't real busy. There appeared to be plenty of wait staff on hand. The meatball app was the highlight. Salad was good. Ordered grilled mahi mahi and 11oz fillet. Fish was over cooked. Steak was ordered medium, but came out butterflied(!) and was more like well done. Barely any pink. Ordered 2nd beer, never got one. If there wasn't for our tired, upset baby, would have complained about these items. The baby only allows for a short window of dining time. I would still return to dine here. Just think it was an off night for us and the restaurant. We will try again sans kids and hope for better results next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The steaks are magnificent!ljstackDined on 10/21/2014The steak was the best I've ever had, and they're priced accordingly. They also have an excellent wine selection. Those two things together make for the start of a great steak dinner. However, the rest of the meal - the salad, accouterments and side dishes are pretty average. Its almost like you were paying $48 for a great steak and a glass of wine and eating it at Denny's. If they could amp up the rest of the menu and bring some life into the decor this place could be an all-around special place. With all that said, if you love steak and want the best steak, and don't care about all of that other stuff, then this place is perfect. I highly recommend this restaurant and I'll come here again and again.Special Features:
- Perfect!JulesToolsDined on 10/18/2014Awesome dinner...just what you want---salad, steak and potato!Special Features:
- Casual Environment - Upscale MenuNaperDined on 10/18/2014In-spite of being seated 20 min past our reservation time, the service providers were courteous and efficient from the host to the wait staff. Great Steaks (we had the Rib-eye & a Filet) & Wine list ( Caymus Pinot Noir) - I'd pass on the "specialty" meatball appetizers - not pleasing for either of our tastes.
- Love Little ZagrebPops04Dined on 10/18/2014Post IU Homecoming game and the food and the staff did a wonderful job keeping pace with the crowd. The meatballs are a must and my steak was done to a perfect medium. Great time, great value!Special Features:
- Pricey but goodIUdadDined on 10/18/2014We went on homecoming weekend so the place was packed. Very noisy. We had to yell to talk to each other. The prices were pretty steep but the food was excellent! Everybody had steak and all were very happy. The spicy meatballs appetizer was good too. Good wine list as well. The best part of the experience was the service by far! The wait staff were super busy but always smiling, took the time to talk to you about the food and wine and were very efficient. Great place for a great steak and some fun but expect a big check too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Little Zagreb's always delivers a fun dining experience. Excellent food and service. Tasty steaks. Great wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IU weekendPatriciaDined on 10/18/2014Found this restaurant listed as one of Bloomington's best. With mixed reviews, we gave it a shot. Mingled with regulars while we waited to be seated- that was good. Very loud, but went with another couple-not a quiet evening. Atmosphere of a sports bar with amazing steaks! Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey But GoodDmanDined on 10/18/2014Janko's Little Zagreb is a Bloomington institution and always good. A little pricey, but great steaks and good service. A hole in the wall atmosphere with checked tablecloth lends to the Steakhouse ambiance. Nothing fancy...just good steak!Special Features:
- Great PlaceunforgettableexperienceDined on 10/17/2014Little Zagrebs is one of the best neighborhood restaurants in the state and maybe in the Midwest, especially for meat. Your servers are some of the best. The food is very well prepared and timely and the wine is terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Meal!funkbee13Dined on 10/15/2014My husband wanted a T-Bone steak for his birthday, and we went to the best steakhouse in town!Special Features: