Janko's Little Zagreb
223 W 6th St
Bloomington, IN 47404Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Janko's Little Zagreb
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.littlezagreb.com/
- Phone: 8123320694
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - Close, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Janko's Little Zagreb
Janko's Little Zagreb is the place for the best steaks in the Midwest. Located at 6th and Morton in downtown Bloomington, Indiana, Janko's Little Zagreb has been the home of tender, thick, daily cut steaks and an impressive selection of fine wines and beer for over 25 years. Open Monday through Saturday for dinner, Janko's Little Zagreb also serves a variety of Yugoslavian dishes and top-notch St. Louis-style barbecue ribs. Vegetarian meals are also available. Reservations are accepted and encouraged, and the atmosphere is casual and leisurely.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Janko's Little Zagreb - Best Restaurants in Bloomington ›
Janko's Little Zagreb reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (83)neighborhood gem (76)good for groups (67)fit for foodies (45)hot spot (27)notable wine list (27)kid-friendly (21)romantic (7)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Noisy ridiculousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014The male host seated us right next to a20 top and 10 top. Second time the same host has done that in a month. I had made reservations. There were plenty of empty tables in other room. Ridiculous!! I wanted to move but my kids felt that would embarrass them. Disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXPENSIVEAmyCDined on 9/8/2014While an I. U. tradition and a review many won't agree with, I thought the food was good but not worth the $$. $99 for 2 filet that came with a small salad and a baked potato. No alcohol. Atmosphere is I.U. but felt old and dingy to me. Took my nephew there for his birthday but don't think I need to revisit. Service was great and hostess was very pleasant. If you want to GO WHERE THEY ALL GO and pay a crazy price for a piece of meat...ENJOY!Special Features:
- Great steaks, bad atmosphereChloetashaDined on 9/6/2014I love this restaurant but the noise level brings the experience down dramatically unfortunately. The tables are packed in and there are times it is so noisey you cannot even hear the person next to you let alone the other people at your table. The steaks are incredible and the wine list is extensive and wonderful with excellent prices on very high end wines.Special Features:
- outstanding food!skinnyfoodjunky55Dined on 9/6/2014One of the BEST steaks I've ever had! A huge 20 ounce ribeye, cooked perfectly and very juicy. Excellent flavor, not covered with spices and salts like so many other places do. Had the meatballs too, wow! Nice and spicy, just the way i like some of my food. The service was awesome, VERY friendly and attentive and we didn't feel rushed. I HIGHLY reccomend going to Janko's Little Zagreb....just awesome all the way aroubd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We come for the steak. Nothing else. The servers are usually pretty good but the ambiance could not be worse.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner of Choice2PoundSirloinDined on 9/2/2014My bride is first-generation Croatian. Janko's Little Zagreb became the perfect restaurant as soon as we moved to Southern Indiana. We celebrate our anniversary with the sirloin for two - medium well, two loaded baked potatoes, two salads. When we first started dining at Janko's, we devoured the entire 2 pounds. As we've aged, we reduced the amount enjoyed at Janko's and increased the wonders of left over amazing sirloin in our subsequent meals at home - Italian beef, BBQ beef, Philly beef, beef stew, beef tacos, you get the idea. As we eat the left-overs, we fondly remember the dinner a Janko's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmedRocketgirlVIPDined on 9/2/2014Poorly executed. Food was average at best. Not sure how they stay in business. Horrible decor. Reservation was for 5:00 and had to call them to unlock the door to get in. Knats were everywhere. Salad was a bunch of lettuce thrown into a bowl with a glob of dressing on top. Many other dining opportunities that are superb in this area make this place a last choice before starvation.
- Awesome steak houseBloomingtonsbestDined on 8/30/2014Quite the find in Bloomington. My only issue was that we had reservations for a party of 14 and they had trouble seating us on time. When they did, it was at two separate tables until I asked the manager to seat us all at one table. The food is fantastic, service was good, and the location can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak !kevoDined on 8/30/2014If it's a great steak you're looking for, look no further. Janko's steaks are second to none. If you want a quiet romantic spot this may not be your first choice as it can become a little noisy. Also make sure to feed the parking meters out side as the city issues tickets all night, trust me I know. LOL Enjoy Janko'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HomeiucatmanDined on 8/30/2014Been coming here since 1975, still love the food and the people.Special Features:
- Wonderful Meal!!AppreciativeDined on 8/29/2014Our meal and service were excellent! Every thing from being seated promptly( we did make reservations) to the appetizers through the meal, our service was wonderful and the food was outstanding. We even received a special dessert for the special occasion we were celebrating--and we did not ask for it. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for a special occasionTaftDaytonDined on 8/25/2014Went there to celebrate my son's 20th birthday. It was our first time but I requested a booth and explained why. We got a booth and he got a wonderful dessert to boot. Service was terrific and so was the food. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Based on what I'ver heard about the place I was disappointed...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServerEvanDined on 8/23/2014Laura Lewis is one of the best servers around...she done good!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!JT10Dined on 8/23/2014Top 5 steaks i've ever had. Meatballs are pricey but were the star of the meal in my opinion. Ill go back for both of those reasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Red MeatrkdboyDined on 8/23/2014I had not eaten at Little Zagreb for about 2 decades. My NY Strip was a bit chewier than the best I have ever eaten and was slightly over cooked. But the flavor was excellent. Someone at our table ordered the lamb chops and declared them the best he had ever eaten. The ambience is checkered tablecloths and folding chairs with noise levels quite high. But this contributes to its feeling of a kind of "neighborhood hot spot." The third person with us had the petite fillet and was very pleased with the preparation of her entree as well.Special Features:
- THE place for steak....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Amazing steak....can't go wrong. Meatball appetizer gets it going...with shrimp cocktail - just the best! Can't typically afford but when I want to splurge this is THE place to go for steak in Bloomington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSteakManDined on 8/22/2014For more than 30 years this place has the best steaks. Beats any of the big city steakhouses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and funglowglowDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant was full to bursting the weekend before class starts at the IU campus. The service however was prompt and timely. The food was amazing. This has become an annual ritual for us.Special Features:
- Great restauranttruefriend64Dined on 8/22/2014Little Zagreb is always a treat to go to. The food is always top notch and the service from the staff is always fast and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal once againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014Always have a great meal here. Had the opportunity to try Miraval which is not readily available on the east coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iconic Indiana University TraditionSparmeDined on 8/21/2014Great steaks, great wine list, fun college tradition, excellent service. Very hard to get into so reservations are a must...especially on football/basketball weekends and other all-school events. Expensive but worth it. Overall, the food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Great steaksOldmanDined on 8/20/2014Excellent food choices and preparation. Very good service during an especially busy time. Steaks were cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of food...DeborahVIPDined on 8/19/2014Service is fast so they can turn the tables over. Line is out the door, so reservations are recommended. If you don't mind being cramped in a space and having your conversations over heard, this is a great place to get spicy pork ribs or a black bean burger. IU kids work hard there so tip big! (The bill doesn't match the ambiance - dinner for two w one glass of wine is $50 without tip.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Steak was really good. Service excellent. Not an upscale steakhouse but still really good. More of a local and or nostalgic favorite. Prices are higher than the chains and the furnishings are more like a BBQ joint so adjust your expectations going in. It is a great place for pregame meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steaks EverCostelloDined on 8/16/2014Our favorite special occasion place. Best food and best service in Bloomington. It's a nice glass of wine, a bowl of fresh lettuce with the best dressings, a piping hot and fluffy baked potato, and the perfect cooked to order steaks - and they do it all just right. Yes it's noisy and crowded but we love it anyway. We always make a reservation and have never had to wait. It's so nice that they always make note of our celebrations. Also, the spicy meatballs are great!Special Features:
- Great steaksjohnbDined on 8/12/2014As usual the steaks are excellent. I had the Tomahawk Ribeye and it was outstanding. Also, I would highly recommend an order of the meatballs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the others and return here.1SantaDined on 8/9/2014Honestly a great steak at a Midwest price. Been to some of the top Steakhouses NYC, LA, Vegas. Janko's holds it's own! It's all about the food , not the atmosphere. Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steaks EverSprongerDined on 8/9/2014If you are hungry for beef and huge servings of it, this is the place! The spicy meatballs are also very hot, but a nice addition to a meal. The menu is basic - meat & baked potatoes, green salad, rolls and cheesecake. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Outstanding steaks and wine.RyanDined on 8/8/2014Janko's never disappoints. I've had steak in Dallas, Kansas City, Chicago, New York. The "finest" steakhouses around aren't any better than this restaurant. Prices are lower than a chain like Ruth's Chris and the steak is better. Great portions, no frills. A simple baked potato included with the steak and not on the side for $9. This isn't a quiet romantic spot, but when you want a great steak (and incredible meatballs), grab a group of friends, make a reservation and enjoy!Special Features:
- Great steaks but....DisappointedDined on 8/7/2014For the price, rather underwhelming. The starting bread was disappointing, especially given the number of local bakeries like Scholars. Why not use good bread as opposed to standard buns obtainable at any Walmart? Salad also was underwhelming -- tasted like it was from a bag of generic lettuce. Given the overall price, the salad should have included different greens and local produce -- and not the Newmans Own package of dressing!!! But, the steaks were great and the wine selection top notch. Too bad the owners don't give more attention to detail and "going local" especially in a place like Bloomington where there are so many opportunities to tap local sources of fresh produce and breads. Ambience was tacky with plastic tablecloths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Service was amazing ! Steaks were excellent, although the filet was cooked slightly inconsistant. Shrimp (cocktail) was good, but did not appear to be wild caught.Special Features:
- Annual trip to Little Zagreb.OkitoDined on 8/1/2014The table for our party of 8 was waiting for us when we arrived. We scattered many choices from the menu including the NY Strip, Black Bean burger, Cheeseburger (new and huge), salmon, meatballs, stuffed peppers and mushrooms and for dessert, cheesecake. Consistent quality year after year. I would put this place up against St. Elmos in Indy any day. The only downside was provided by the city of Bloomington. Their parking meters were difficult to understand and I would up contributing $20 to the civil employee's pension fund. Hint, if you go to Little Zagreb, bring a pocket full of quarters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fatmaninaskinnymanbodyDined on 8/1/2014Great place to eat. Great steaks and very good and unique ribs. The service is outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationcelebratfunDined on 7/31/2014My best friend and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner with a bottle of wine. The food was exceptional as always, service was friendly and fast, and experience singular. A . Wonderful place to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- retMDDined on 7/31/2014Have been going here for many years for the steak which ranks high on my list of great steak restaurants I've eaten at before. Service always great. Parking can be difficult sometimes but only enhances the dining experience.Special Features:
- Great but not what you expectMrsRobertsonDined on 7/30/2014The food is fantastic! They dont offer a huge menu of variations when you go you go for the meat! And it is amazing, they specialize in it. We got the sirloin for two and it was cooked perfect! A well done but not tough steak. Really great food and large portions! The reason I say not what you expect is that a lot of people expect a traditional 'fancy' decor when you pay the price that you are paying for good steak. Its not that at all its very laid back college looking decor but I feel like that doesnt take anything away from the food so just dont go there expecting coats and tails. Dont dress up just go there expecting to eat a fabulous meal.Special Features:
- OverratedAnArtistDined on 7/29/2014I truly don't understand why this place is rated as a great steak place. The food is average, the ambiance is nonexistent (please repad your booth seats) and the service is subpar. I thought it was just me for awhile, but I've now been there 4 times and for the $$, there are many better places to go in Bloomington.
- YumIslandgirlDined on 7/29/2014Love this restaurant. Phenomenal steaks & great service. This is becoming our go-to special occasion spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't know why I waitedImNoFoodieDined on 7/29/2014I've lived in Bloomington a long time. Before this visit, I had never been to Janko's. The menu is simple and straightforward; They do a few things very well. We will be back. We made reservations, and based on our observations this will improve your experience. We were seated immediately, while walk-in customers waited.Special Features: