1655 W Cortland
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.janesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7738625263x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00AM - 2:30PM
Lunch: Friday: 11:00AM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday : 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Antonio Recillas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer in home catering with or without staff, as well as large deliveries.
- Private Party Facilities: Jane's has a gorgeous party room, clad in shades of white. The room seats 55 guests, and is wonderful for small weddings, rehearsal dinners, baby and bridal showers, birthday and anniversary parties.
- Private Party Contact: Greta and Massie 7738625263
A word from Jane's
Opened in 1994, Jane's is a quaint Bucktown eatery, specializing in fresh, clean foods, with several vegetarian options. We are open Tuesday-Sunday evenings, with a great Friday lunch. We serve a wonderful brunch on Saturdays and Sundays from 8-2:30p.m. We have a beautiful party room, and specialize in celebrations! We're known in Chicago for being one of the city's most romantic dining spots.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jane's reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (21)great for brunch (20)fit for foodies (15)special occasion (14)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- romantic hot spotknb1136Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed dining outside on the patio...live music from the wedding next door was an added bonus. Wonderful service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jane's was perfectJaneDined on 8/24/2014We had searched online for a Bucktown/Wicker Park restaurant to celebrate our son's 21s birthday on a Sunday evening, and we couldn't have asked for more. Our family will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good, solid, not overwhelmingFineDined on 8/24/2014Less impressed than last time I was here - I ordered the pork chop - it was good, but could've been more tender, though the ancho BBQ sauce was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Jane's placePiotrDined on 8/22/2014On a Friday evening the crowd was not overwhelming. Service was a little slow, but the food was excellent and the neighborhood is quite charming. The server had to be prompted to offer us the dessert menu, and then to suggest after-dinner drinks: I had the feeling that she was eager to have us pay and get out, even though there was not a crowd waiting to have our table. On the whole, I would like to return to Jane's as this was an enjoyable evening with good food. However, I wish someone could convince restaurant owners that playing music is not necessary: shut off those damn loudspeakers! And the list of after-dinner drinks is pretty feeble: no Drambuie, for heaven's sake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemFoodfiendVIPDined on 8/19/2014This place is a lovely little spot and you will be doing yourself a favor to check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just blehJustfeedmepleaseVIPDined on 8/10/2014My family was in town and we were looking to grab brunch. Janes was one of the only places we could get into. Great spot, but service and food didn't live up to it. We had a reservation for 11:30 and got asked to wait at the bar. Fine. Didn't get seated until noon. A lot of tables cleared in the thirty minutes we waited while there were 2 waiters, 4 bussers and the host cleaning. Other people were still walking in and asking for tables while this happened and some of them got seated before us while the others basically just waited at the front door in the middle of the restaurant because there's no good waiting area. No communication, very apathetic, annoying. Got our table, waitress was visibly annoyed although friendly. Food was mehSpecial Features:
- reliably gooddonjoVIPDined on 7/26/2014Jane's offer a nicely diversified menu, excellent service, and a completely pleasant and upbeat environment. Not the place for a special occasion, but an excellent entry on your restaurant portfolio for reliably good, casual dining.Special Features:
- Good Food. Nice SettingBdotbellDined on 6/28/2014The food was good. I had the NY Strip with a Pear salad for an appetizer. Salad was awesome as is. Steak was good but could've been seasoned a little better for my taste. The red wine reduction sauce was good but I think they relied too much on the sauce not offering separate steak sauce. My friend had the shrimp/pesto appetizer and it was awesome with an entree salad with Salmon. Food was overall tasty. Atmosphere was nice. It's pretty dim in there though so you'll definitely need the candle on the table to read the menu. It's very cute and quaint. I wouldn't recommend for large parties because there's not much space between the tables. But I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Decent brunchcat00308Dined on 6/22/2014Overall the brunch was pretty good. I ordered the pancakes with turkey sausage. The pancakes were wonderful but the turkey sausage was awful- bone dry. The food came out fast and our server was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK - gets the job doneRethDined on 6/18/2014Everything is OK. Price matches value. Wish it wasn't so dark in there, though.
- Janes is a real gem in Bucktown.CagsingerDined on 6/11/2014We moved to Bucktown about 2 blocks away from Janes. We moved from the suburbs where you drive everywhere and many of the popular restaurants are chains. It was such a pleasure to be able to walk down the street to Janes for our 25 wedding anniversary on BYOB night. We were seated in the window overlooking Cortland St. The food was unbelievable. The chef came over to chat with us twice and was genuinely concerned how much we liked our food. I had the corn Gazpacho soup and the Ahi tuna salad and my husband had the angel hair pasta and the Caesar. I got the rhubarb Gelato and he had the brownie dessert. Janes treated us to both desserts as a nod to our 25th. We will definitely be back and will bring friends.Special Features:
- A find!Vally3Dined on 6/10/2014We had a table in the window -- in the window -- like we were the only ones there. Our server (cannot recall her name) was fantastic. Everything smelled great and tasted delicious. Shrimp pesto and the grouper. A wonderful place. Hope they have/are having huge success. Will get to the area to go back. Note: re the Noise Level question -- Does a high rating mean the noise level was good or high? Noise level here was fine. We didn't notice one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous location and buildingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014... but the service and food were average. Restaurant standards in Chicago are so high that an "average" here is an excellent in any other city. Other than the location, I wouldn't go out of my way for this restaurant, but you don't need to avoid it either.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceBikerMikeDined on 6/4/2014Janes just works. The food is delicicious, presented well, and the staff and decor add to feeling comfortable. It is charming in a pleasing way - not cloying or saccharin sweet. Feels like the little restaurant you wish was in your neighborhood so that you could walk to dinner....and then walk home. Again - the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 339 reviews are from the Jane's reviews archive.
- Always solidjaimigDined on 5/20/2014Haven't been to Jane's in a long time and it was great to visit again. Only issue I had was the temp in the restaurant... so HOT! No air flow for some reason due to the kitchen door being open or something to that effect. Would still return, however! Love Janes.Special Features:
- Will be returning!goonghaengDined on 5/18/2014Good food, relaxing atmosphere... Couldn't ask for more for brunch!Special Features:
- Deliciously quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014A charming little place indeed. The food was awesome, the service rocked and the neighborhood is very cool. I would definitely take a date there.Special Features:
- what happened to this place?foodgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014We haven't been here for a few years. We used to love Jane's when it was quaint and charming with delicious food. On our recent visit, the food was bland, the fruit was not fresh and the service was unattentive. We informed both our server and the manager that our food was served on plates and bowls that were chipped and cracked. Although both of them acknowledged that the chips were large, neither of them seemed surprised or bothered by the fact that these damaged dishes are being used to serve food. The only response that we received was "Yes, that looks bad. We will be sure to inform the head chef." With this attitude and unmemorable food, we will not be going back as there are so many other great restaurants in the neighborhood.
- AnneVIPDined on 5/14/2014A small, friendly restaurant that seems to get better each time we go, and that is often. The chef (owner) and wait staff go out of their way to provide personal attention. We leave thinking we were given special treatment. I am sure that is how everyone feels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Mother's Day brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Jane's was the perfect place to take my mother and grandmother for brunch on Mother's Day. They loved the ambiance and the neighborhood feel. Plus, Jane's gifted each of them with a special (chocolate) treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZZZZZVIPDined on 4/24/2014Awesome restaurant, I always stop before Trap Door Theatre showSpecial Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/20/2014Great food and atmosphere. Good experience overall for brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Jane'sDebbyDined on 4/13/2014Although we had a reservation, we had to wait about 20 minutes before a table opened up. The place was really hopping and not comfortable for waiting. The tables are very close together and the noise level overwhelming. To be fair, I am almost 60 and my adult children who accompanied me were not bothered by the noise. The staff was very solicitous, apologizing for the wait and graciously seating us as soon as possible. The place is old and charming. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for brunch, only OK for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014I have had brunch here many times. Decent and good for groups. Dinner did not blow it out of the park. Just some random dishes (jerk chicken, italian style pasta, chorizo spanish rice soup?) that didn't really make sense and were just really ok. Jane's gets by on being a neighborhood staple but I wouldn't go out of my way to go here for dinner at all.Special Features:
- We will returnBgorDined on 3/23/2014Jane's was a new discovery for us and we will certainly be returning in the near future. It is in a lovely neighborhood and the food for brunch was wonderful. We loved the interior decor and the staff was very friendly. The menu was varied and not your typical take on brunch so it was nice to try something with a new twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceicarra1Dined on 3/22/2014Love Jane's! Love the ambiance, great food, and amazing service. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Have not been in awhile!NancyODined on 3/22/2014It has been a few years since I last visited Jane's. It is as good as I remembered it. Went with two of my favorite people and they loved it as well. The group was "fit for a king", cheese plate outstanding! Will be going again soon.Special Features:
- Front of House MessOpenTablerVIPDined on 3/9/2014I've been to Jane's before to eat, and have always liked the food and atmosphere, but their front of house on Sunday was a disaster. I had a reservation for 12:30 for brunch that they were never able to seat us for. They lost a reservation for 12 people, they sat a 4 top at a table for 8, and after 45 minutes of waiting to be seated with no table on the verge of getting up in sight, we left. Very disappointed. The two stars I give them are for the food that I've had at Jane's before...if they don't mess up your reservation and you actually get sat.
- Fit for a wide variety.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2014There are two spaces to Jane's. The original space is this quaint romantic authentic Bucktown bungalow feel. Two window seats are for a really intimate dinner. Great bar if you just want to chill. The expansion is shabby chic. Porcelain tile floors, crystal chandeliers...perfect for a brunch party or bigger private party space That can be rented out. The food is exceptional. Some adventurous for the culinary in you but traditional items as well. We had a party of 9 for brunch on a Sunday that I booked the day before. scones are killer with clotted cream on the side..decadent. I've been multiple times for dinner but this is the first for brunch. Has never disappointed;-) Truly great for many occasions and clientele.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurant, perfectZZZZZVIPDined on 3/8/2014Awesome restaurant, perfect anytime, but specially for for dinner and theater (Trap Door Theater is in the same building)!Special Features:
- No plain Jane!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/28/2014After hearing about Jane's for years we arrived Friday evening for our 8pm reservations and were promptly seated in what we both felt were the best seats in the house...in the window! A very intimate space yet able to see over the restaurant and the street activity. Our server was very knowledgeable of the dishes and their preparation. 1st the mussels - each were open and meaty; the cream curry & white wine sauce was well balanced and complimentary to the mussels. The wrapped rare tuna had a nice kick and had us wishing for an entree size. The black grouper was perfectly prepared, the sake-ginger sauce with the bok choy, mushrooms and water chestnuts were delicious! the Chef & his son were a delight to meet. We will be back...often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchRedShoesDined on 2/15/2014The steak sandwich on the lunch menu was great, cooked to perfection, nice blend of peppers, and just the right amount of bread. The salad served with the sandwich was surprisingly tasty. Jane's is a comfortable place to have a casual lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I do not understand reviewersOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2014I do not understand reviewers who say Romantic or Fit for Foodies. We went here because we were seeking unique vegetarian options and had heard good things. The food was pretty good with the quinoa-corn linguine being an example: great concept, quality ingredients, poor execution. The flavors in the sauce are not balanced and the tastes are both muddled and unmixed at different points in the dish. Not upset, not disappointed, but not an unreserved fan either. My wife's pasta special was a substitute for the sandwich she really wanted and it suffered from the same ingredient imbalance. The service was what you would expect in any nicer pancake house.Special Features:
- Hosting an out-of-state visitorMarkDined on 2/12/2014We chose Jane's to meet an out-of-state visitor for dinner. The location is great in a nice neighborhood near the Kennedy and the Clybourn Metra stop. Food was excellent. Service was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoriteTravelingfoodiDined on 2/2/2014We don't live in the neighborhood but it was apparent it's popular with the locals. As we were seated in the window, we watched several couples carrying babies or holding small children walking to and from the restaurant. Still the noise level was very good so it was easy to enjoy the meal. As for the food. Good but nothing exceptional. We thought scone which was more the size of a puffy cookie was expensive at $5.00. Coffee cups were the sauce type so they are small but the staff refilled them regularly. Don't think we'd make a special trip there but would stop in if in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing "plain" about Jane's!WindyCityLoVIPDined on 1/31/2014We end up at Jane's because of its shared space with the zany Trap Door Theatre - and it's always a comfort & joy to dine there. Menu is sane, creative, well prepared & presented and actually quite reasonable. The wine list is short & the prices represent the quality of the wine - but even what may seem like an expensive wine is balanced with a reasonably priced food menu. Their menu notes "V" for vegetarian, "GF" for gluten-free. Our terrific wait person (sorry I didnt catch her name) also explained some items that sounded vegetarian but maybe had chicken stock, etc. We were there on a snowy Friday night in January *& finished VERY early for theatre. Wait person suggested we just stay, sit, relax until . Nice! GREAT experience!Special Features:
- Great SpotnickiDined on 1/31/2014You can always rely on Jane's for high quality food, service and ambience. I particularly appreciate that their menu has offerings for vegetarians, and though a bit narrower, for vegans too. It's among my top five favorites in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The corn chowder is excellent-OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/30/2014The corn chowder is excellent- crisp & not too heavy.Special Features:
- Good Food, Poor ServicecasualdinerDined on 1/25/2014We had a 1:15 reservation and were running late but called to let the host know. The host said they too were running behind. We got there at 1:25 and were not seated until 1:45. Another group who had a 1:30 reservation and showed up after us was seated first. The host was not very apologetic and there was no place to wait so we stood between tables awkwardly. The host told us the reservation is to let them know a group is coming NOT a guarantee for holding a table. It is extremely misleading and very frustrating as we walked fifteen minutes in the freezing cold to get there and then were treated quite rudely.
- fun night outchabarDined on 1/18/2014My group of friend who really enjoy each other chose Janes because of location and price. Two of the group chose the Sallmon stew which they loved, the Burrito was excellent and the rest was wonderful. The retaurant was too quiet when we arrived but we found out that as the tables filled up the loudness grew. Overall we would definitely come back and bring the rest of our group!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.