1655 W Cortland
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.janesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7738625263x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00AM - 2:30PM
Lunch: Friday: 11:00AM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday : 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Antonio Recillas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer in home catering with or without staff, as well as large deliveries.
- Private Party Facilities: Jane's has a gorgeous party room, clad in shades of white. The room seats 55 guests, and is wonderful for small weddings, rehearsal dinners, baby and bridal showers, birthday and anniversary parties.
- Private Party Contact: Greta and Massie 7738625263
A word from Jane's
Opened in 1994, Jane's is a quaint Bucktown eatery, specializing in fresh, clean foods, with several vegetarian options. We are open Tuesday-Sunday evenings, with a great Friday lunch. We serve a wonderful brunch on Saturdays and Sundays from 8-2:30p.m. We have a beautiful party room, and specialize in celebrations! We're known in Chicago for being one of the city's most romantic dining spots.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jane's reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (28)fit for foodies (25)great for brunch (24)special occasion (17)good for groups (15)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Had a wonderful evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Staff was really great. I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable.Special Features:
- Nice relaxed girls nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Exactly what our group of friends was looking for for some overdue catching up. Relaxed, cute place with good food and non obtrusive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but not outstandingwilmettedinerDined on 10/18/2014Our food was pretty good, service very uneven and slow. Had to ask for bread, refills on water more than once. Drinks are very small and overpriced; they should either offer bigger drinks or charge 2/3 of what they are charging for their specialty cocktails.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Loved our dinner. Very healthy wonderfully creative food. The salmon stew was excellent!! We had a really big table of people. I did feel however that the service was very slow.Special Features:
- Charming RestaurantBelleVIPDined on 10/8/2014We had an enjoyable evening at Jane's. What great little place. Hummus appetizer was delicious-could be an entree. Stuffed chicken breast was also great. And Tres Leche cake was a great finale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZZZZZVIPDined on 10/4/2014my favorite restaurant, food, chef, stuff, ambiance...Special Features:
- Thank you!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/4/2014Service was VERY slow on Saturday. Don't know if I would go back w a group (we were 8)unless it was on the newer (east side) of the restaurant. Love the food and ambiance and people who work there: servers, runners, busboys,etc, everyone is very nice, polite and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZZZZZVIPDined on 10/1/2014Wonderful food in the most romantic restaurant enhanced by outstanding staff. A must before Trap Door Theatre!!!Special Features:
- Solid breakfast spotclompsthedinosaurDined on 9/27/2014The food was good and the location had convenient parking. Very cute place. My only complaint is that we were wedged into the back corner as a party of two -- the entire restaurant, except for one table in the window, was completely empty so I have no idea why we were put so close to the restroom/kitchen area. My friend had arrived early and that's where they put her. Really odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014We ate here with parents and our baby daughter. They were very welcoming and arranged space for the stroller. Food was very good and the service was excellent. It's local to us to a return visit will be a definite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as alwaysoriginalfoodieDined on 9/26/2014We are frequent diners at Jane's. It's quiet atmosphere and delicious food make it a perfect place to take your spouse on a date night. But, if you do want music, there are a few local bands that play weekly later in the evening.Special Features:
- Friday Date NightDeniseDined on 9/26/2014We were pleasantly surprised with our dining experience at Jane's. The service was good (although the bar took a long time to get our drinks out and there was only one other table occupied at the time) and the food was delicious. I had the steak sandwich and it was great! My husband had a spicy pasta dish that he liked as well. Although we don't live in the city, we would come back to Jane's again if we were in the Bucktown area.Special Features:
- Cute neighborhood placeJenDVIPDined on 9/25/2014Jane's is nestled away quietly on a neighborhood street in Bucktown. I ordered the blackened Grouper and it was a beautiful piece of fish; moist and flavorable and a good portion size. My friend ordered the ahi tuna salad, and they were out of tuna, so they asked if it was O.K. to substitute shrimp. She enjoyed the decent sized salad. The restaurant is a bit too dark for my liking; it was difficult to read the menu it was so dark. I would go back there for a relaxed girls' night out or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long-standing treasurevdubDined on 9/21/2014There's a reason this place has been around for 20 years--they know what they're doing! The space is unique, with the main dining area & open kitchen under a wood-beamed ceiling, and the 2nd, sparkly white room that's great for baby showers, birthdays, etc. (you can rent the whole room out) or just for brunch. They do brunch brilliantly. Gigantic entree-sized salads (love), egg dishes (great), sandwiches (favorite is house-made veggie burger), and fantastic, seasonal cocktails. (Best bloody Marys in Chi!) It's also romantic in the evening -- cozy and candlelit. They seem to have some sort of special going every day of the week, including BYOB (Wednesdays, I think). Service is always great. Support this local treasure! You won't be sorry.Special Features:
- romantic hot spotknb1136Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed dining outside on the patio...live music from the wedding next door was an added bonus. Wonderful service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jane's was perfectJaneDined on 8/24/2014We had searched online for a Bucktown/Wicker Park restaurant to celebrate our son's 21s birthday on a Sunday evening, and we couldn't have asked for more. Our family will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good, solid, not overwhelmingFineDined on 8/24/2014Less impressed than last time I was here - I ordered the pork chop - it was good, but could've been more tender, though the ancho BBQ sauce was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Jane's placePiotrDined on 8/22/2014On a Friday evening the crowd was not overwhelming. Service was a little slow, but the food was excellent and the neighborhood is quite charming. The server had to be prompted to offer us the dessert menu, and then to suggest after-dinner drinks: I had the feeling that she was eager to have us pay and get out, even though there was not a crowd waiting to have our table. On the whole, I would like to return to Jane's as this was an enjoyable evening with good food. However, I wish someone could convince restaurant owners that playing music is not necessary: shut off those damn loudspeakers! And the list of after-dinner drinks is pretty feeble: no Drambuie, for heaven's sake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemFoodfiendVIPDined on 8/19/2014This place is a lovely little spot and you will be doing yourself a favor to check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just blehJustfeedmepleaseVIPDined on 8/10/2014My family was in town and we were looking to grab brunch. Janes was one of the only places we could get into. Great spot, but service and food didn't live up to it. We had a reservation for 11:30 and got asked to wait at the bar. Fine. Didn't get seated until noon. A lot of tables cleared in the thirty minutes we waited while there were 2 waiters, 4 bussers and the host cleaning. Other people were still walking in and asking for tables while this happened and some of them got seated before us while the others basically just waited at the front door in the middle of the restaurant because there's no good waiting area. No communication, very apathetic, annoying. Got our table, waitress was visibly annoyed although friendly. Food was mehSpecial Features:
- reliably gooddonjoVIPDined on 7/26/2014Jane's offer a nicely diversified menu, excellent service, and a completely pleasant and upbeat environment. Not the place for a special occasion, but an excellent entry on your restaurant portfolio for reliably good, casual dining.Special Features:
- Good Food. Nice SettingBdotbellDined on 6/28/2014The food was good. I had the NY Strip with a Pear salad for an appetizer. Salad was awesome as is. Steak was good but could've been seasoned a little better for my taste. The red wine reduction sauce was good but I think they relied too much on the sauce not offering separate steak sauce. My friend had the shrimp/pesto appetizer and it was awesome with an entree salad with Salmon. Food was overall tasty. Atmosphere was nice. It's pretty dim in there though so you'll definitely need the candle on the table to read the menu. It's very cute and quaint. I wouldn't recommend for large parties because there's not much space between the tables. But I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- The following 345 reviews are from the Jane's reviews archive.
- Decent brunchcat00308Dined on 6/22/2014Overall the brunch was pretty good. I ordered the pancakes with turkey sausage. The pancakes were wonderful but the turkey sausage was awful- bone dry. The food came out fast and our server was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK - gets the job doneRethDined on 6/18/2014Everything is OK. Price matches value. Wish it wasn't so dark in there, though.
- Janes is a real gem in Bucktown.CagsingerDined on 6/11/2014We moved to Bucktown about 2 blocks away from Janes. We moved from the suburbs where you drive everywhere and many of the popular restaurants are chains. It was such a pleasure to be able to walk down the street to Janes for our 25 wedding anniversary on BYOB night. We were seated in the window overlooking Cortland St. The food was unbelievable. The chef came over to chat with us twice and was genuinely concerned how much we liked our food. I had the corn Gazpacho soup and the Ahi tuna salad and my husband had the angel hair pasta and the Caesar. I got the rhubarb Gelato and he had the brownie dessert. Janes treated us to both desserts as a nod to our 25th. We will definitely be back and will bring friends.Special Features:
- A find!Vally3Dined on 6/10/2014We had a table in the window -- in the window -- like we were the only ones there. Our server (cannot recall her name) was fantastic. Everything smelled great and tasted delicious. Shrimp pesto and the grouper. A wonderful place. Hope they have/are having huge success. Will get to the area to go back. Note: re the Noise Level question -- Does a high rating mean the noise level was good or high? Noise level here was fine. We didn't notice one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous location and buildingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014... but the service and food were average. Restaurant standards in Chicago are so high that an "average" here is an excellent in any other city. Other than the location, I wouldn't go out of my way for this restaurant, but you don't need to avoid it either.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceBikerMikeDined on 6/4/2014Janes just works. The food is delicicious, presented well, and the staff and decor add to feeling comfortable. It is charming in a pleasing way - not cloying or saccharin sweet. Feels like the little restaurant you wish was in your neighborhood so that you could walk to dinner....and then walk home. Again - the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always solidjaimigDined on 5/20/2014Haven't been to Jane's in a long time and it was great to visit again. Only issue I had was the temp in the restaurant... so HOT! No air flow for some reason due to the kitchen door being open or something to that effect. Would still return, however! Love Janes.Special Features:
- Will be returning!goonghaengDined on 5/18/2014Good food, relaxing atmosphere... Couldn't ask for more for brunch!Special Features:
- Deliciously quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014A charming little place indeed. The food was awesome, the service rocked and the neighborhood is very cool. I would definitely take a date there.Special Features:
- what happened to this place?foodgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014We haven't been here for a few years. We used to love Jane's when it was quaint and charming with delicious food. On our recent visit, the food was bland, the fruit was not fresh and the service was unattentive. We informed both our server and the manager that our food was served on plates and bowls that were chipped and cracked. Although both of them acknowledged that the chips were large, neither of them seemed surprised or bothered by the fact that these damaged dishes are being used to serve food. The only response that we received was "Yes, that looks bad. We will be sure to inform the head chef." With this attitude and unmemorable food, we will not be going back as there are so many other great restaurants in the neighborhood.
- AnneVIPDined on 5/14/2014A small, friendly restaurant that seems to get better each time we go, and that is often. The chef (owner) and wait staff go out of their way to provide personal attention. We leave thinking we were given special treatment. I am sure that is how everyone feels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Mother's Day brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Jane's was the perfect place to take my mother and grandmother for brunch on Mother's Day. They loved the ambiance and the neighborhood feel. Plus, Jane's gifted each of them with a special (chocolate) treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZZZZZVIPDined on 4/24/2014Awesome restaurant, I always stop before Trap Door Theatre showSpecial Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/20/2014Great food and atmosphere. Good experience overall for brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Jane'sDebbyDined on 4/13/2014Although we had a reservation, we had to wait about 20 minutes before a table opened up. The place was really hopping and not comfortable for waiting. The tables are very close together and the noise level overwhelming. To be fair, I am almost 60 and my adult children who accompanied me were not bothered by the noise. The staff was very solicitous, apologizing for the wait and graciously seating us as soon as possible. The place is old and charming. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for brunch, only OK for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014I have had brunch here many times. Decent and good for groups. Dinner did not blow it out of the park. Just some random dishes (jerk chicken, italian style pasta, chorizo spanish rice soup?) that didn't really make sense and were just really ok. Jane's gets by on being a neighborhood staple but I wouldn't go out of my way to go here for dinner at all.Special Features:
- We will returnBgorDined on 3/23/2014Jane's was a new discovery for us and we will certainly be returning in the near future. It is in a lovely neighborhood and the food for brunch was wonderful. We loved the interior decor and the staff was very friendly. The menu was varied and not your typical take on brunch so it was nice to try something with a new twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceicarra1Dined on 3/22/2014Love Jane's! Love the ambiance, great food, and amazing service. Keep up the good work!Special Features: