105 S 13th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jamonerarestaurant.com/jamonera/
- Phone: 2159226061x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Executive Chef: Marcie B. Turney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Jamonera
Jamonera is a Spanish restaurant and bar located in the trendy Midtown Village section of center city. James Beard nominated Chef Marcie Turney’s menu will feature rustic, handcrafted regional fare such as: Banderillas of olives, boquerones and guindilla peppers; Crispy Calasparra Rice with heirloom pumpkin, chestnuts and La Quercia Acorn Edition jamon; Moorish Skewers of Lamb with spiced yogurt, mint and pickled chiles; and House-Cured Cecina with artichokes, fennel and amontillado sherry. Menu items will range in price from $4 to $20, spanning everything from small snacks to composed plates, all ideal for sharing. Seating at the bar is available for walk in seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jamonera reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (81)romantic (57)hot spot (44)special occasion (40)great for outdoor dining (24)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (19)good for groups (10)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fabulous Food, but.....Ace531Dined on 7/26/2014Lets get the food out of the way. It was great! Interesting combination of flavors and some items I had never had before. Their website menu is not really a help because some of the items had changed when we got there. The BUT refers to a fantastic salad we had with arugula, Spanish ham and cheese, melon and other things I can't remember and the web site doesn't have it listed. Our waitress told us it had been on the menu the night before but was incorrectly priced at $19.00 each (s/b $9.00 which was the marked menu price). When the bill came it had the 2 salads listed at $19.00 each. Bummer but it did get corrected. Also, had a table near the restrooms and all I had to look at was a wall with a menu on it. Great meal though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among my favorite meals ever.ModalCitizenDined on 7/25/2014Service: perfect. Cocktails: outstanding. Beer: draft would be nice, but the selection was interesting. Food: delightful. We sat outside on a lovely evening and shared small plates. The portions were just right, favors distinctive in a good way, beautifully plated. Octopus was perfect texture. Anchos also beautifully flavored. Cheeses were accompanied by a nice assortment of sweet condiments. Get the Spanish donuts. You will not be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small good restaurantrafystaDined on 7/22/2014We ate Tuna something (forgot the name, couldn't find in their homepage), Seafood Paella and Octopus something (forgot the name again...). First two plates, especially first one was amazingly good taste. We expected every foods might be very good based on the first two foods, so we ordered third menu, but their Octopus was too soft and too sour. I was little bit regret to ordered their Octopus. I rate maximum score for the food quality, if I didn't ordered Octopus. Room was little bit small but many tables, so that space between the tables were close. Waiters were friendly and professional. Very nice service.Special Features:
- worth tryingnickname8Dined on 7/17/2014Good food. Had the potato cake as an appetizer, which was fantastic, then a vegetable tapas, octopus entree and the seafood paella. All very tasty. Didn't have a great service experience, water glasses and bottle were empty on table for extended periods of time. Would've had more to drink if our waiter was around more. It was a busy Thursday might, so, i understand why it wasn't perfect on that department. Overall, a place worth going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodveneziaDined on 7/16/2014We had the dates in bacon which were excellent and the meatballs stuffed with manchego in gravy which was good. The scallops were the hit of the night as was the dessert. Waitress we have had before and was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Just amazing...MizrahiDined on 7/15/2014While traveling for work in Philly I came across this amazing restaurant; unique atmosphere, delicious cocktails (and sangria!!!) but the food and service was beyond spectacular. Totally unique blend of flavors found in everything I ordered...and the service, I haven't found better. So I loved this place so much, I brought my colleagues for dinner the very next night!!! The accommodated my group and served up one of the most memorable 'spreads' I've ever enjoyed; my colleagues (who live in the city) had never tried the restaurant - but now are totally hooked! I return to Germany tonight and may very well stop off one last time before I leave. YES, it's THAT good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jamonera's food is amazingOneHappyRestaurantGoerDined on 7/11/2014We were very impressed with the quality of the food. The dishes looked great and they all seemed to have that little something extra to make them truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable VisitScubaSunSeekerDined on 7/10/2014We enjoyed our visit. The service was excellent and the food was creative, well prepared and beautifully executed. Each of the four tapas dishes that we order were unique and very tasty. Jamonera is doing it right and we will be back. Strongly recommend giving them a try. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- jamonera rockssamlaagetabletalkDined on 7/7/2014Great food; creative and flavorful. Attentive service without being over bearing. Music too loud and not to my tastes though, and the Carmen mural was pretty awful. Would have been better off facing the street. Restaurants are about the food though and this place gets that better than right. Every dish we had was stellar. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Don't normally do online reviewsRarereviewerDined on 6/30/2014I don't normally do online reviews but this place was so fantastic I wanted to let others know. The food was delicious, exciting, and new. The service was good. The drinks perfect. It was an ambient place, perfect for a date. It was my boyfriend's birthday and they ensured to bring him out a dessert with a candle too!It is a tight space, but with all the fun you're having sharing tapas and drinking tasty cocktails, you forget real quick how close you are to the next party.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Service started out slow. We sat at the bar and with only one bartender making drinks for the entire restaurant, our service was slow to start before he got caught up with drink service. Food was goodSpecial Features:
- southphillyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Just got back from Spain and this helped keep me connected with the great food and wine we were eating. Everything was just fantastic and the staff are incredibly nice and helpful.Special Features:
- JackieVIPDined on 6/23/2014Great, extremely authentic food. Excellent red sangria.Special Features:
- Skimpy portions for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/23/2014Paella portion for two was actually enough for only 1 The appetizers were tasty but fried; I would rather have had more paella and salad. The salad was delicious but barely enough for one- not two The watermelon sorbet with shortbread was awesome though not included in the special dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingFredfromReadingVIPDined on 6/22/2014I have been to Jamonera several times and have never been disappointed. The food is always outstanding and the service the same. Marcie and Vakerie keep getting better and better.Special Features:
- Good bordering on greatNJArtDined on 6/20/2014The food, especially the Crispy Cana de Cabra (fried goat cheese, roasted beets, spinach grapefruit, pickled fig jam) and the Quesos Artesanos (garrotxa/pickled fig jam, valdeon/stone fruit jam, aragones/saffron honey with baguette & sweet olive oil–fennel cracker) was truly excellent. The service was very good. The decor was very Spanish although the pseudo Picasso painting was silly. A few things would make an improvement. My wife, whose family is from Spain, could not understand why no Spanish background music was played. Odd. Also, there was no flan for desert. Truly odd. But if you like Sherry, as she does, this is the place for you. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a wider selection of Spanish Brandies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paella is the bestCitytoSuburbDined on 6/14/2014The Paella was outstanding! I highly recommend it. The rice was superb!Special Features:
- Delicious!!KayleighDined on 6/9/2014We went for the 10-course seafood tapas dinner and it was amazing!! Everything was delicious, the wine pairing was fab (and the pours were generous). We had the spanish donuts for dessert and they were to die for. Will definitely be back to try the regular menu.Special Features:
- Don't let the name fool you!HK4diningDined on 6/9/2014My wife and I reserved a dinner with Tapas Tasting with great expectations! And it did not disappointed us. There were 10 courses, small dishes as expected and grouped in three courses, with seafood as the main theme. We like most of them; scallops with mango were fresh and tender, the grilled fingerling was the best I have tasted, with a hint of smoke. Pacu ribs sitting on red cabbage were another dish to savor, both for the palate and eyes. A couple of dishes were on the salty side, though. And, Spanish fried cod was too oily for us. The waiter was very good, attentive, but not overbearing. Soon after we sat down, the wait staff had successfully sold a couple of tables the same Tapas Tasting dinner, testimonial to his skills.Special Features:
- great tapas restaurant!AnnuschkaDined on 6/8/2014I'm from New York and was in Philly for the first time and LOVED Jamonera! The ambience is very cool (or should I say warm) - everything is done in hot reds and the lighting gives a great vibe. The food was excellent - we snacked on all small plates and everything was outstanding. We even commented to the waitress we wished they'd open in NYC. The friend I was with can be a finnicky eater, so we ordered a cheese plate just to be safe, and we BOTH agreed, the cheese plate is the only thing we wouldn't bother ordering again when we're back in philly next time. DO try Jamonera, you won't be dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior ExperienceHPFanVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food was wonderful. Despite the name, Jamonera, is an excellent choice for vegetarians. The veggie paella was amazing. The service was spot on, attentive without being overbearing. The timing and delivery of the food was perfect. I don't live near here but I would make a special trip in for a meal here.Special Features:
- Great waitress-BjanemcgVIPDined on 6/6/2014Interesting menu with knowledgeable, accommodating waitress. The food was very good- one slight problem - a couple items that seem to have been cooked over open flame were too charred- making them taste burnt. The cheese and meat board was great with interesting sauces and beautifully blended flavors.Special Features:
- Great food and sangriaLryanDined on 6/2/2014Great spot to dine! Sangria packs a punch and is delicious. Have not tried any dish that hasn't tasted good as of yet. Tried the mussels and cheese board very good. Also visited during restaurant week and the shrimp dish is my ultimate favorite dish ever!Special Features:
- Great Spanish CuisinePepperwheelDined on 6/1/2014I am very picky when it comes to Spanish restaurants and Jamonera didn't disappoint. Authentic food stylings with some interesting twists. Seafood paella is one of my favorite dishes ever and they nailed it. Red sangria was amazing. Only thing which we missed were the sautéed garlic shrimp which had come off the menu for some reason. Do not miss this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but a bit noisyGrumsDined on 6/1/2014Great find and liked the Tadting Menu. Lots of variety,maybe a tad heavy on the salt, but very good. Good service. Only downside, which is not the restaurants fault, was a very loud non stop talker next to what was to be a table we reserved as "quiet and romantic". It was neither.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerSharisDined on 5/31/2014It was everything that I hoped our anniversary dinner would be. The food was phenomenal, I especially loved the Vegetarian Paella and theSpecial Features:
- Fantastic foodkriskazDined on 5/31/2014Loved the food. Bacon wrapped figs and beet salad were particular standouts. The space is a little crowded and noisy so definitely not the place for a romantic dinner but if you are looking for fabulous tapas look no furtherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurantjbpf23Dined on 5/25/2014We have walked by Jamonera many times and finally decided to stop in for dinner, we were certainly not disappointed. We decided on the chefs tasting menu which let us try 10 different tapas. All of them were really good and we could not decide on a favorite. Will certainly go back for dinner or the bar to have a drink and snack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014It was my first time there, and I really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't like was the food was a bit over price for the amount of food they served (entrees and starters).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodBossVIPDined on 5/24/2014I was expecting a bit more imagination with regards to the food. Service was pretty good but we waited for a while to be greeted. Overall a nice experience but I wouldn't rush back.
- Tapas in PhillyGwyndraVIPDined on 5/22/2014Great little place in Center City. It's small, only a handful of tables. Tables are close together, in some ways uncomfortably so. You can hear people's conversations clearly next to you and wedge yourself in the middle of the tables to leave. I enjoyed the tapas, we ordered 4 plates + we each got dessert which ended up being a little too much food. Drinks were good and well made. Price was reasonable considering quality of food and being it's in the city.
- RachelDined on 5/21/2014The food was really good, but things did not come out in the order we requested them. Service wasn't great.Special Features:
- great tapaswineguyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Each dish was better than the next! Highly recommended. Don't miss the bacon wrapped figs.Special Features:
- SocarratToddDined on 5/13/2014Second time there, second Paella, both times they achieved that tasty layer of crisp rice on the bottom. Don't be sucked in by seafood...get the mixta for, of all things, the chicken in it. Sat on the street this time, so some of the ambience score is my fault. Good place to sit for a while, drink slowly and eat food as it comes out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas in PhillyNitiVIPDined on 5/8/2014Although its hard to get a table at Jamonera due to its small space, advance planning is totally worth the dining experience. Plenty of choices for vegetarians, with everything coming out fresh and with good presentation. We have been to Spain and can vouch for the food variety and quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jamonera is a GemSteveDined on 5/8/2014One of then many restaurants in the 13th St restaurant milieu, Jamonera certainly holds its own. It has a fully stocked bar with reasonable wine offerings and an interesting menu with mainly small plates which allows for broad sampling of the menu, which is unique although not overly adventurous. A great experience.
- Delicious!MoorlynDined on 5/7/2014Wonderful small plate options to share. Everything we had was delicious. Our server, Jess, was so well-versed in explaining dishes to us. She was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small bites are perfectpapaspicks4uDined on 5/3/2014My friend and I went there on a Sat night and loved it. All the dishes were amazing and service was prompt. We got the Medjool dates, Albondigas (stuffed meatballs), Chef's choice charcuterie, and the Papa Frita. All were awesome and I would get them again. We both drank The Smuggler which was divine.Special Features:
- deliciousjudyDined on 5/2/2014Food fresh & beautifully prepared.love the small plates & so many interesting tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014We had a great time. The food was exceptional and the service prompt and friendly. Our waiter made certain that we made it to the opera on time. We will definitely retturn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.