105 S 13th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jamonerarestaurant.com/jamonera/
- Phone: 2159226061x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Executive Chef: Marcie B. Turney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Jamonera
Jamonera is a Spanish restaurant and bar located in the trendy Midtown Village section of center city. James Beard nominated Chef Marcie Turney’s menu will feature rustic, handcrafted regional fare such as: Banderillas of olives, boquerones and guindilla peppers; Crispy Calasparra Rice with heirloom pumpkin, chestnuts and La Quercia Acorn Edition jamon; Moorish Skewers of Lamb with spiced yogurt, mint and pickled chiles; and House-Cured Cecina with artichokes, fennel and amontillado sherry. Menu items will range in price from $4 to $20, spanning everything from small snacks to composed plates, all ideal for sharing. Seating at the bar is available for walk in seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jamonera reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (132)neighborhood gem (76)romantic (60)special occasion (49)hot spot (45)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (21)late-night find (20)good for groups (12)great for lunch (10)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful experience at Jamonera. The food was terrific and the service outstanding. Our waiter (Sergei) was very knowledgeable about the food, the wine and the sherries. We sampled many things on the menu and I don't think you can't go wrong. So many restaurants to try and so little time but because of the combo of food/service/ambiace - this one is on my 'return to' list!Special Features:
- Great for friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014We went for a girls night out. The food was delicious. We are still talking about the sangria. Definitely going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!QueenCulverDined on 8/13/2014It's always challenging to choose a restaurant to entertain a customer but I would certainly recommend this one! Ambiance was homey and was very conducive to conversation. The food was wonderful -- small plates were delicious and the larger ones were perfect for sharing. The service was very attentive without being overbearing. Fantastic experience!Special Features:
- Dinner for 2temcDined on 8/12/2014I was just here last night to meet up with an good friend of mine and I'm glad we chose this spot. The food was amazing, the staff was helpful, patient, and attentive. For a smaller venue, they really utilize their space well and have created a wonderful atmosphere for dining.Special Features:
- Keep coming BackSarckVIPDined on 8/12/2014I've been to Jamonera a handful of times and it never disappoints. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the vodka passionfruit drink is one of the best I've ever had, and I could possibly eat styrofoam while drinking it and that would be fine. Luckily, the food is also superb. The buttery bread they use for many apps--like the bruscetta--is decadent and delicious. The Bacon and dates are tender and sweet and salty at once. The paella has a good amount of seafood plus perfectly crunchy soccarat at the bottom. It's romantic and cozy and dark--perfect for a date, though the bar is a good spot for a drink with a friend It's small, so I wouldn't go without a reservation. But I would go to the all you can eat Sunday night feast, date or no.Special Features:
- Great tapasSpspDined on 8/10/2014We are fans of Barbuzzo, Lolita, and we loved Bindi, this was our first visit to Jamonera. Did tapas and pitcher of Sangria. Tapas were very good, favs were duck sausage and quail egg, melon, proscuitto salad, mussels,crab manchego balls. The bacon wrapped dates were good, but too sweet for my palate, even the salty bacon did not help. The waitstaff was pleasant, beer suggestion was on the mark. The mussels were not gritty, had enough garlic but wasn't overpowering, and the bread that accompanied it was sooooo good! We had to take Bronzino and ribs home, we were stuffed. Wish we and room for dessert. All in all we enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- Worth Visiting - We'll be back.bimmlerDined on 8/9/2014Interesting tapas menu and good wait staff. Service is brisk, but not rushed. Informed staff and compelling dishes. My wife and I each had a starter and a main, but I could have gone for another main. My wife had the fried squash blossoms to start and the seafood paella for main - both of which were excellent. I had the spanish breakfast bite (duck sausage and egg yolk on toasts) to start and the octopus for main. The (typical for tapas) vinegar/veg sauce did not overwhelm the sweet octopus meat. Overall a great dining experience. Overlook the somewhat tight space and enjoy the affordable wines and great food. Recommended.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Well done on a busy night. The pacing was well done. The flavors popped. The desserts continued the flavor train nicely. Would love to go back for the late night menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!roserun13VIPDined on 8/6/2014Staff was extremely welcoming and was able to accommodate us to get us out for a 7:30 pm Musical at Forrest theatre. The food was tapas and was very well prepared! We all had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad start turned into great timeFoodGuyDined on 8/3/2014We had an 8pm reservation but was not seated until about 830. We sat at the bar and the bartender was extremely friendly and went out of his way to make us feel ok with our wait. Within minutes of being seated a plate came out from the kitchen as compliments of the house for our wait. The food was great, and I through reasonably priced for center city Philadelphia. I would definitely return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Fabulous innovative tapas!!! Branzino was especially exceptional !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMashVIPDined on 8/2/2014Good Spanish food in Center City. Service was excellent and there were a lot of vegetarian choices.Special Features:
- Girls nightTiredmomDined on 8/1/2014Great place for drinks and tapas. The desserts are pretty fabulous too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Tapas Restaurant2ndChancesDined on 7/30/2014Great paella and sangria.Dessert was perfect. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food, but.....Ace531Dined on 7/26/2014Lets get the food out of the way. It was great! Interesting combination of flavors and some items I had never had before. Their website menu is not really a help because some of the items had changed when we got there. The BUT refers to a fantastic salad we had with arugula, Spanish ham and cheese, melon and other things I can't remember and the web site doesn't have it listed. Our waitress told us it had been on the menu the night before but was incorrectly priced at $19.00 each (s/b $9.00 which was the marked menu price). When the bill came it had the 2 salads listed at $19.00 each. Bummer but it did get corrected. Also, had a table near the restrooms and all I had to look at was a wall with a menu on it. Great meal though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among my favorite meals ever.ModalCitizenDined on 7/25/2014Service: perfect. Cocktails: outstanding. Beer: draft would be nice, but the selection was interesting. Food: delightful. We sat outside on a lovely evening and shared small plates. The portions were just right, favors distinctive in a good way, beautifully plated. Octopus was perfect texture. Anchos also beautifully flavored. Cheeses were accompanied by a nice assortment of sweet condiments. Get the Spanish donuts. You will not be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small good restaurantrafystaDined on 7/22/2014We ate Tuna something (forgot the name, couldn't find in their homepage), Seafood Paella and Octopus something (forgot the name again...). First two plates, especially first one was amazingly good taste. We expected every foods might be very good based on the first two foods, so we ordered third menu, but their Octopus was too soft and too sour. I was little bit regret to ordered their Octopus. I rate maximum score for the food quality, if I didn't ordered Octopus. Room was little bit small but many tables, so that space between the tables were close. Waiters were friendly and professional. Very nice service.Special Features:
- worth tryingnickname8Dined on 7/17/2014Good food. Had the potato cake as an appetizer, which was fantastic, then a vegetable tapas, octopus entree and the seafood paella. All very tasty. Didn't have a great service experience, water glasses and bottle were empty on table for extended periods of time. Would've had more to drink if our waiter was around more. It was a busy Thursday might, so, i understand why it wasn't perfect on that department. Overall, a place worth going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodveneziaDined on 7/16/2014We had the dates in bacon which were excellent and the meatballs stuffed with manchego in gravy which was good. The scallops were the hit of the night as was the dessert. Waitress we have had before and was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Just amazing...MizrahiDined on 7/15/2014While traveling for work in Philly I came across this amazing restaurant; unique atmosphere, delicious cocktails (and sangria!!!) but the food and service was beyond spectacular. Totally unique blend of flavors found in everything I ordered...and the service, I haven't found better. So I loved this place so much, I brought my colleagues for dinner the very next night!!! The accommodated my group and served up one of the most memorable 'spreads' I've ever enjoyed; my colleagues (who live in the city) had never tried the restaurant - but now are totally hooked! I return to Germany tonight and may very well stop off one last time before I leave. YES, it's THAT good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jamonera's food is amazingOneHappyRestaurantGoerDined on 7/11/2014We were very impressed with the quality of the food. The dishes looked great and they all seemed to have that little something extra to make them truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable VisitScubaSunSeekerDined on 7/10/2014We enjoyed our visit. The service was excellent and the food was creative, well prepared and beautifully executed. Each of the four tapas dishes that we order were unique and very tasty. Jamonera is doing it right and we will be back. Strongly recommend giving them a try. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- jamonera rockssamlaagetabletalkDined on 7/7/2014Great food; creative and flavorful. Attentive service without being over bearing. Music too loud and not to my tastes though, and the Carmen mural was pretty awful. Would have been better off facing the street. Restaurants are about the food though and this place gets that better than right. Every dish we had was stellar. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Don't normally do online reviewsRarereviewerDined on 6/30/2014I don't normally do online reviews but this place was so fantastic I wanted to let others know. The food was delicious, exciting, and new. The service was good. The drinks perfect. It was an ambient place, perfect for a date. It was my boyfriend's birthday and they ensured to bring him out a dessert with a candle too!It is a tight space, but with all the fun you're having sharing tapas and drinking tasty cocktails, you forget real quick how close you are to the next party.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Service started out slow. We sat at the bar and with only one bartender making drinks for the entire restaurant, our service was slow to start before he got caught up with drink service. Food was goodSpecial Features:
- southphillyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Just got back from Spain and this helped keep me connected with the great food and wine we were eating. Everything was just fantastic and the staff are incredibly nice and helpful.Special Features:
- JackieVIPDined on 6/23/2014Great, extremely authentic food. Excellent red sangria.Special Features:
- Skimpy portions for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/23/2014Paella portion for two was actually enough for only 1 The appetizers were tasty but fried; I would rather have had more paella and salad. The salad was delicious but barely enough for one- not two The watermelon sorbet with shortbread was awesome though not included in the special dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingFredfromReadingVIPDined on 6/22/2014I have been to Jamonera several times and have never been disappointed. The food is always outstanding and the service the same. Marcie and Vakerie keep getting better and better.Special Features:
- Good bordering on greatNJArtDined on 6/20/2014The food, especially the Crispy Cana de Cabra (fried goat cheese, roasted beets, spinach grapefruit, pickled fig jam) and the Quesos Artesanos (garrotxa/pickled fig jam, valdeon/stone fruit jam, aragones/saffron honey with baguette & sweet olive oil–fennel cracker) was truly excellent. The service was very good. The decor was very Spanish although the pseudo Picasso painting was silly. A few things would make an improvement. My wife, whose family is from Spain, could not understand why no Spanish background music was played. Odd. Also, there was no flan for desert. Truly odd. But if you like Sherry, as she does, this is the place for you. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a wider selection of Spanish Brandies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paella is the bestCitytoSuburbDined on 6/14/2014The Paella was outstanding! I highly recommend it. The rice was superb!Special Features:
- Too saltyJRocks888VIPDined on 6/13/2014I was really excited to try Jamonera because we fell in love with Barbuzzo (the sister restaurant). However, I was very disappointed in some of the food, particulary the octopus. It was very salty. I couldn't even eat one bite of it. But the service was great. Our waitress was very friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious!!KayleighDined on 6/9/2014We went for the 10-course seafood tapas dinner and it was amazing!! Everything was delicious, the wine pairing was fab (and the pours were generous). We had the spanish donuts for dessert and they were to die for. Will definitely be back to try the regular menu.Special Features:
- Don't let the name fool you!HK4diningDined on 6/9/2014My wife and I reserved a dinner with Tapas Tasting with great expectations! And it did not disappointed us. There were 10 courses, small dishes as expected and grouped in three courses, with seafood as the main theme. We like most of them; scallops with mango were fresh and tender, the grilled fingerling was the best I have tasted, with a hint of smoke. Pacu ribs sitting on red cabbage were another dish to savor, both for the palate and eyes. A couple of dishes were on the salty side, though. And, Spanish fried cod was too oily for us. The waiter was very good, attentive, but not overbearing. Soon after we sat down, the wait staff had successfully sold a couple of tables the same Tapas Tasting dinner, testimonial to his skills.Special Features:
- great tapas restaurant!AnnuschkaDined on 6/8/2014I'm from New York and was in Philly for the first time and LOVED Jamonera! The ambience is very cool (or should I say warm) - everything is done in hot reds and the lighting gives a great vibe. The food was excellent - we snacked on all small plates and everything was outstanding. We even commented to the waitress we wished they'd open in NYC. The friend I was with can be a finnicky eater, so we ordered a cheese plate just to be safe, and we BOTH agreed, the cheese plate is the only thing we wouldn't bother ordering again when we're back in philly next time. DO try Jamonera, you won't be dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior ExperienceHPFanVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food was wonderful. Despite the name, Jamonera, is an excellent choice for vegetarians. The veggie paella was amazing. The service was spot on, attentive without being overbearing. The timing and delivery of the food was perfect. I don't live near here but I would make a special trip in for a meal here.Special Features:
- Great waitress-BjanemcgVIPDined on 6/6/2014Interesting menu with knowledgeable, accommodating waitress. The food was very good- one slight problem - a couple items that seem to have been cooked over open flame were too charred- making them taste burnt. The cheese and meat board was great with interesting sauces and beautifully blended flavors.Special Features:
- Great food and sangriaLryanDined on 6/2/2014Great spot to dine! Sangria packs a punch and is delicious. Have not tried any dish that hasn't tasted good as of yet. Tried the mussels and cheese board very good. Also visited during restaurant week and the shrimp dish is my ultimate favorite dish ever!Special Features:
- Great Spanish CuisinePepperwheelDined on 6/1/2014I am very picky when it comes to Spanish restaurants and Jamonera didn't disappoint. Authentic food stylings with some interesting twists. Seafood paella is one of my favorite dishes ever and they nailed it. Red sangria was amazing. Only thing which we missed were the sautéed garlic shrimp which had come off the menu for some reason. Do not miss this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but a bit noisyGrumsDined on 6/1/2014Great find and liked the Tadting Menu. Lots of variety,maybe a tad heavy on the salt, but very good. Good service. Only downside, which is not the restaurants fault, was a very loud non stop talker next to what was to be a table we reserved as "quiet and romantic". It was neither.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.