105 S 13th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jamonerarestaurant.com/jamonera/
- Phone: (215) 922-6061
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Executive Chef: Marcie B. Turney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Jamonera
Jamonera is a Spanish restaurant and bar located in the trendy Midtown Village section of center city. James Beard nominated Chef Marcie Turney’s menu will feature rustic, handcrafted regional fare such as: Banderillas of olives, boquerones and guindilla peppers; Crispy Calasparra Rice with heirloom pumpkin, chestnuts and La Quercia Acorn Edition jamon; Moorish Skewers of Lamb with spiced yogurt, mint and pickled chiles; and House-Cured Cecina with artichokes, fennel and amontillado sherry. Menu items will range in price from $4 to $20, spanning everything from small snacks to composed plates, all ideal for sharing. Seating at the bar is available for walk in seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jamonera reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (162)neighborhood gem (96)romantic (73)hot spot (67)special occasion (64)late-night find (34)great for outdoor dining (28)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (18)great for lunch (7)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Tapas place, wine bar, good serviceNoLibsResidentDined on 11/23/2014Went to Jamonera a few times before, but this time I went for a tasting menu. The items were all vegetarian, so it was good to get a sense of how well they do non-meat dishes for a whole stretch. First, there were 10 plates, and food was taken home. The menu was $40 per person, so that came out to about $4 an item, which is less than most tapas. All of the dishes, with one exception, were three stars or more. by far the weakest was the plain kale item. not needed, seemed more bandwagon-y. The other dishes were very good. The pumpkin coquettes, the squash soup, the paella like item. all very good. And as someone who does not like mushrooms, the mushroom paste and toast was good. wow, good for me! Ambiance was dark, but not so loud I had to shout and no so quiet that normal conversation sounds like shouting. Staff very attentive. Sangria I had was white, and it was good. could have used more ginger taste and fruit (white grapes maybe?) Would I go again? absolutely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why did we wait so long to go there?NjaeoDined on 11/21/2014I have heard great reviews of this small gem for quite some time but now can honestly say that it is one of the best restaurants in all of Philly! My wife and I went there and came away completely satisfied. The small plates, especially the papa fritas were perfectly cooked. Each plate had its own unique flavor but all complemented each other perfectly. Our service was outstanding as was each of her recommendations including a superb wine to finish off everything nicely. My wife and I thank you for a great evening and are sure to return with high expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hole in the wall placeSubbuDined on 11/20/2014We had been to Jamonera with not very high expectations. We started our dinner with the vegetarian platter which was superbly presented and tasted fabulous. From there on the whole dinner was just a wonderful experience. The crispy eggplant fries were the fan favorite with several tables ordering for it. The Pan seared Bronzino was just exceptional with the perfect blend of greens and a touch of lime. Overall our dining was just a very memorable experience and would love to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2014Excellent meal and beverages!! Pedro's garden is an excellent bourbon cocktail and we shared a fantastic bottle of wine as well throughout the evening. We asked our server to simply "make some selections of what you recommend and let the food start coming.!" And it did.....he did a fantastic job at selections, attentiveness and an excellent variety. There wasn't one bite we didn't enjoy. Finish off your meal with the butterscotch dessert which is one of the best desserts we have had! Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!NancyDined on 11/8/2014The food was outstanding. So many flavors and different than other tapas restaurant. I would highly recommend this experience and will definitely return.Special Features:
- One of My Favorite RestaurantsMickeyVIPDined on 11/6/2014Wonderful food and service. A very creative menu which is constantly changing. I have brought different friends and they all love the place. I keep coming back!Special Features:
- amazing blend of flavorsace320VIPDined on 11/5/2014Had a variety of plates for a party of three. Each plate was meticulously crafted to meld different flavors into a cohesive and enjoyable treat. Table favorites were the bacon wrapped dates, charcuterie plate and seared scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2014Fantastic in every way. The fig and chorizo is great and our server enthusiastically led us through an amazing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!ExcellentDined on 11/1/2014All of the different foods had their own taste, texture and aroma. Service was wonderful!Special Features:
- One person can spoil the visitFormanDined on 10/29/2014The food and our table waiter were very good. The manager was extremely unpleasant. It was raining hard and one of our party arrived at the restaurant two minutes before it opened for dinner. The manager was standing at the glass door but refused to let him in for several minutes. When later asked to turn down the extremely loud music a bit she didn't even acknowledge the request but turned her back and stalked off. The music continued blasting. This reception spoiled what would have otherwise been an excellent dining experience. Despite the excellent food, we will be reluctant to return.
- Awesome tasting menuRunningFishDined on 10/27/2014We went for the fall squash tasting menu. Each of the 12 or so items was AMAZING; not a single flop in the bunch. Service was exceptional as well. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Wonderful squash tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014The squash tasting menu last Sunday night was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryredramVIPDined on 10/25/2014Thirteenth Street in Philly has becOme a Mecca for good dining and shopping. Jamonera is one of many bistros owned by two ladies who operate other restaurants. The food is good and so is the service. My complaints are that it is very dark, the music is decidedly unspanish and the wine list is very expensive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/2014Food was delicious but their service was extremely slow. Still next time I go to Philly for business I probably will make a stop there.Special Features:
- All-Around ExcellenceArdmoreDinerDined on 10/21/2014Service, food, drink, ambiance all excellent at Jamonera! We will return!Special Features:
- first time at jamoneracityeatsDined on 10/15/2014The food at jamonera was pretty good. The bacon wrapped date and seafood paella were really good. The little bar they have is nice too. The one thing I didnt like about them was the slow service. It takes forever to get your check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndreinaDined on 10/11/2014Great food! Paella was excellent! Service was ok, little bit slow. Place is too small! Too many tables!Special Features:
- Service perfect and food excellent!WisteriaDined on 10/11/2014Everything we had at Jamonera was wonderful - especially love the bacon-wrapped dates and the meatballs! The service is absolutely perfect - wow! We had the same lovely waitress as last time we went and she is exactly the right mix of super helpful and not obstrusive - always there when we needed her, but not pushy - perfect! She whisked things aways as soon as we were finished and brought more and kept our table spotless the whole time - truly so much better than we've experienced in most other places! Well done!Special Features:
- BUGDRDined on 10/10/2014The tapas were excellent although limited in variety. Very tight tables and therefore very noisy and cramped.Special Features:
- very great and interesting menu!love2dineDined on 10/5/2014Food is prepared with interesting twists that really work.Special Features:
- dinerDined on 10/4/2014The food from start to finish was awesome. The paella and the Branzino were delicious . In addition, the wine selection complimented the meal. The white chocolate bread pudding was amazing!. The service was great. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious as always!CNowVIPDined on 10/1/2014Food and service were top notch, sitting outside is always a treatSpecial Features:
- Cozy and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014This was our first visit to Jamonera and we will definitely be back! All of our menu selections were exactly what we wanted.Special Features:
- Great MealFrankDined on 9/27/2014My Bride and I were looking for a place to celebrate my birthday and had been to Jamonera once before. We enjoyed the meal the first time and they didn't disappoint this time. We had a few small plates, wine, and entrees to share and left absolutely stuffed. It was a great meal and a great way to celebrate.Special Features:
- Great Food-Mediocre Wait StafffdgrzrDined on 9/27/2014Overall, the meal at Jamonera was fantastic. The small plates were tasty and the perfect portion to share for two. The pork was flavorful and the sides were a good compliment to the meat. This is a great place to go on a date or with a very small group, as space is limited. The hostess was very friendly and took care of us most of the time. Unfortunately, our waitress was terrible. She maybe came by once a 1/2 hour and was not helpful in answering our questions about the menu items. I would have been sympathetic if she had a lot of tables to wait, but it was just us and two other small parties.Special Features:
- AndyinOldCityDined on 9/26/2014Helpful advice from server, and just the right amount of attention. Food very interesting and tasty. Very generous portions for tapas-style dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Host is really disperse, not much effort into accomodating people. He told us we could move from the bar to our table after half an hour, then dissapeared, we were moving our food ourselves to a table which was not ready, then to the bar, then back to the table. The food is good, not spectacular, but good. Do not go for a date, you will dissapoint the girl. Better to go with laid back friends.Special Features:
- Salty PaellaabigailkVIPDined on 9/25/2014We enjoyed our meal at Jamonera. The service was excellent, the cocktails tasty and the kitchen accommodating about dietary restrictions. We took home so of the vegetarian paella for leftovers and the next day found it inedible due to salt levels. Restaurants oversalting their food is nothing new but I expected more from the owners of Jamonera and from my experiences at their other restaurants. it made me suspicious of the kitchen and what other shortcuts they may be using.Special Features:
- Tasty TapasPRMANManmanDined on 9/23/2014Was looking for an alternative from Alma de Cuba. I was recommend to Jamonera by a coworker and I am glad I went. The duck sausage breakfast bite was amazing. It had a great heat to it that set it apart from anything else. Also had the paella as my main dish. It was very good but was a tad too limey(?) for my tastes. The restaurant itself is absolutely beautiful and very intimate while being casual at the same time. Definitely a place I will return to in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent but Great OverallPickledPlumsDined on 9/20/2014The atmosphere is young, the music is relatively loud, and the decor is composed almost entirely of black and red modern art. The waitress picked up our plates and refilled our glasses pretty quickly, though her demeanor was cold. We had the Crispy Cana de Cabra, the Croquetas, the Mushrom Flatbread and the Octopus. The Cana de Cabra and the Flatbread were exceptional. The Cana de Cabra was a fried piece of tangy goat's cheese topped with a citrus salad. The combination of the salty cheese, the crunch of the breading, and the sweetness of the citrus really woke up our tastebuds. But the (admittedly tender) grilled octopus was unfortunately so salty that I couldn't eat it- and I usually love my salt. Luckily the other dishes were great.Special Features:
- amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014What a place! The food was excellent, the wine and sangria were outstanding and the interior is beautifully decorated. You have to try the pan con tomate if it's on the menu, and save room for dessert because the donuts are out of this world. New favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapaspezz77VIPDined on 9/19/2014We came in late on a Friday night. We arrived early and they had a table available, the place is a bit small and the bar doesn't really allow for anyone to stand around it so we were glad there was a table. Aside from the space issue, food was great overall. We had the seafood paella, the pulpo and a few other tapas. We did like that not everything revolves around pork here since we don't eat it and we know tapas normally incorporate pork. Great find overall.Special Features:
- Always StunnedBeccaDined on 9/19/2014This is my favorite restaurant in the city, hands down. Between the cocktails, papas fritas, and wild mushroom truffle ANYTHING, I'm always floored by the flavors, ambiance and service. The shop next door, too, is a treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumlolapurpleVIPDined on 9/19/2014Wow I am not a potatoes person but they cook the potatoes here like no other! Must try on their menu! The staff was friendly. I really enjoy my branzino, wow the skin is so crispy yet the meat has an amazing sweet and delicate flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the visitJKRafDined on 9/18/2014This was our first meal here after two visits to the bar for drinks and appetizer's. It was Restaurant Week so our expectations were lessened, but as a fan of the ownership team we were looking forward to the experience. We were not disappointed. We were seated immediately and our waiter could not have been more attentive. There is a creative mixed drink menu and a variety of bottled beers and Spanish wines. The menu choices were excellent for a Restaurant Week menu. The food surpassed expectations and there was a generous amount of it. The bacon wrapped figs and goat cheese salad were favorite starters. The main course hits were the branzino and pork loin. The bread pudding for dessert was top notch. A wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Intimate DiningKmil321VIPDined on 9/17/2014The food was excellent, every course was fabulous. The ambiance is very intimate and romantic with mostly 2-seaters, red dim lighting, lush furniture. Very trendy and very hip! Would definitely bring a hot date here!Special Features:
- Great Food! Fun Atmosphere!ferarosaDined on 9/16/2014The food was wonderful! Everything we tried had intense bursts of flavor. The portion sizes were perfect for sharing and I loved the tapas style appetizers. I loved the atmosphere, from the the front door to the intimate tables! The textures and colors were warm and welcoming!Special Features:
- higher expectationsrickersDined on 9/15/2014I was anticipating a higher level dining experience based on recommendations from friends.It was good but nothing special. Perhaps It was because we ordered from the Restaurant Week menu. I might give it another try if in the area but would not make a reservation or go out of my way. Very good service was provided to our table.Special Features:
- Great restaurantJohnGDined on 9/13/2014Loved the food and the atmosphere...tapas is great if you're looking for variety. Service was great, just enough interaction and not overbearing. Our waitress helped us through the menu as we a little unsure how many plates would be good for two people. Would highly recommend...Special Features:
- Awesomeurbanfoodie1Dined on 9/12/2014I had a wonderful night at Jamonera..the food was great. .the service outstanding. .the restaurant week menu was awesome with getting all three appetizers...sidewalk dining is only for the courageous....overall I had a great time..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.