14 Narragansett Ave.
Jamestown, RI 02835Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jamestownfishri.com/
- Phone: (401) 423-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room - Wednesday to Sunday 5pm to close
Bridge Bar- Wednesday to Sunday 4pm to close
Patio seating available Monday thru Sunday 12pm to close
Reservations can be made for our Main Dining Room only. Patio dining is on a first come first served basis.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Matthew MacCartney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us for wine dinners throughout the year.
A word from Jamestown FiSH
Jamestown FiSH features a european inspired seafood menu prepared by Award winning Executive Chef Matthew MacCartney.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Jamestown FiSH - Best Restaurants in Jamestown ›
Jamestown FiSH reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)special occasion (58)notable wine list (43)great for outdoor dining (41)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (37)hot spot (15)scenic view (12)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Not Really Worth ItDebraDined on 11/16/2014We ordered off the restaurant week menu. Calamari cake appetizer was gummy and tasteless. This we sent back. It was that bad. No offer of full replacement was provided. Then, two half portions were offered of something else. Seriously? Swordfish entree had way too many herbs on it. The dish was still good, however. Coffee was not offered until after dessert was finished. We asked to have our bread wrapped to go (it WAS delicious) but that never happened. We went to the bar to have our own left over wine bottle recorked to go. We won't be back.
- Gem in JamestownOntheroadDined on 11/14/2014Jamestown Fish does not disappoint. From the moment you walk in it is a wonderful experience. Crisp clean feel to this little seaside gem. The fireplace took the chill out of the air and added romance. A vibrant knowledgable staff answer every question. The chef comes out to meet and greet. Wonderful beer and wine list. The menu is diverse, well rounded and extraordinary. Best swordfish I ever had. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great choiceluvitalianDined on 11/8/2014We chose Jamestown FISH for our Newport Restaurant Week adventure. They chose to include all their regular menu items instead of just a select few and I'm glad they did. Even though there was a supplemental charge for those items it was worth it. I had monkfish which I had never tasted before and it was delicious. Very well prepared. The chef took time to greet guests in the dining room which is always nice. The food was excellent and the service was too. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes seafood. Hopefully we get to go there again in the next few months but otherwise I'm looking forward to Restaurant Week in the spring of 2015.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week best menuNanaiPFDined on 11/8/2014Great atmosphere, great service and great fresh gourmet meal as usual! Our compliments to Mathew, Helio, Keith and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousAMoveableFoodieVIPDined on 11/7/2014Great start to Newport Restaurant Week! Diverse menu with unique preparation styles. Excellent deals for wine that go perfectly with many dishes. Glad to see "unusual" species (skate) being offered on more and more menus. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Fish is wonderful!!! As always, good service, good food, good times!Special Features:
- The food was delicious.joyofeatingDined on 11/5/2014I dined with two others, one had cod, the other had scallops and I had the flounder. We all loved our meal and the side that came with it. The portions were perfect. We ate everything on our plates and felt very satisfied. We had two desserts and enjoyed them as well. The staff was attentive, the atmosphere was relaxed.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemLynneDined on 11/1/2014What a pleasant experience to dine at Fish. The dining room was warm and cozy and beautiful. There were three in our party and everyone was pleased with their eating choices especially the special of roasted sole. Our waiter was pleasant, attentive and knowledgeable. We are anxious to cross the bridge to Jamestown again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GSM AustraliaGSMAustraliaVIPDined on 10/31/2014Excellent seafood. Service was outstanding. The cooking style is French with touches from outher cuisines.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014We didn't eat. The on-line menu from their website was not the menu they presented to us. We simply left.
- flowerladyDined on 10/25/2014The food was outstanding, very fresh, creative, beautifully presented, and delicious! The decor is lovely and the servers very professional and attentive. We enjoyed our evening thoroughly and will go back to share this gem with friends!Special Features:
- jack24jackDined on 10/25/2014This was our third visit to Fish. It is very consistent: great food, interesting menu, good wine list, attentive service and nice outdoors eating. Definitely on our favorites list.Special Features:
- bEST MEAL IN 66 YEARSCharlotteDined on 10/11/2014It was my husbands birthday and he said this was the best meal he has had in 66 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We love going to Fish for any occasion ~ date night, with friends, with family. The food is always spectacular, the wine list is unrivaled & the service is perfect. No exaggeration!Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/19/2014The outdoor dining and bar area are inviting and cozy... Pizza oven is great. Inside is more upscale in decor and menu selection. The Peekepoo Crab appetizer was amazing and the Seafood Pot was loaded with Cod, clams, muscles, scallops, etc. seasoned perfectly. We stop every time we are in Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced / food has slipped a bitFoodiefamilyDined on 9/19/2014Used to love this place. Lately prices have gone way up and portions seem smaller. Lobster truffle pasta used to be my favorite, last night it was tasteless, very ordinary. Appetizers are small and very expensive( $12 tiny portion of eggplant? Really?) $40 for a special of turbot, very small with pedestrian sides. Table next to us was so loud we couldn't converse easily. Oh well, nothing lasts forever...
- Beautiful sauces Extraordinary mealHappyPeopleDined on 9/14/2014Every dish was unique and fabulous. Extraordinary meal. Would return for another special occasion or to turn an ordinary evening into a special occasion! Magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish with and Italian FlairCharlieVIPDined on 9/13/2014We very much enjoyed out meal. The food was prepared in a very authentic Italian style and the service was courteous and professional. I will say the menu had some interesting combinations and the portions were small. I had the scallops, wonderful, but not paired with reasonable sides. A carrot puree and a few apparagus tips left me wanting more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed dinnerRUHungryDined on 9/13/2014We celebrated an anniversary at JF and was very disappointed with the food after reading many positive reviews. I ordered the lobster scampi which was ok, very small bits of lobster meat! The appetizers were ok, for the prices charged I expected slightly larger portions. I waited 20 minutes for a refill of wine. The coffee was cold, when I brought it to the waitresses attention she said it was just made, did not even offer to bring over another cup! The homemade ice/cream was the best part of our meal! Found it to be on the noisy side.Special Features:
- Excellent mealJJGJRDined on 9/6/2014Excellent meal and presentation. All three courses were remarkable.Special Features:
- Always a Home RunCLNYVIPDined on 9/6/2014As usual, food and service were fantastic. Hard to beleive that this restaurant could get better, but it does. My appertizer of Octopus salad was out of this world. My favorite Entree of Dover Sole served on the bone was one of the largest that I have even, and still as moist and tasty as always. My guest tried a new menu item, A Porterhouse Veal Chop. It was huge, and cooked perfectly. I tasted it, delicious. A nice touch, Chef Michael visits the tables to see how everything is going. No Complaints here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findFoodloverVIPDined on 8/31/2014Saw the attributes for Jamestown in Food & Wine magazine. The recognition was accurate. Everything about the meal was great. The Eggplant appetizer was wonderful. We were offered a Salmon special which was the last one available which I ordered. When it arrived the chef/owner came out with the server to apologize that the salmon was slightly over cooked. He said he would gladly cook me something else since it was the last piece of salmon. The sauces and the puréed cauliflower was so good that the slightly overlooked salmon was acceptable. Upon finishing our meals the server gave us dessert and a Madeira free to make up for the salmon not being perfect. I will and have recommended Jamestown Fish to others.Special Features:
- Outstanding!LittleComptoniteDined on 8/30/2014Jamestown FiSH has quickly become one of our favorite restaurants! We have eaten here three times in the last few weeks and each time has been excellent! The staff, the food and the wine list are all outstanding. We have eaten both inside and outside and enjoy both menus. Some of our favorites are the artichokes, smelts, octopus salad and the sesame tuna with eggplant. Will be back again soon!Special Features:
- AmazingEfreedgoVIPDined on 8/27/2014Vibrant, creative cuisine in a beautiful room. Service not quite up to food but very good .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside the Newport tourist trapmissyVIPDined on 8/24/2014We stayed in Newport but drove 10 minutes to this quaint seaside town to visit a friend. Jamestown Fish is on the quaint strip of restaurants and stores and was a real find! The head chefs were both trained in NY. And their up and coming chefs are right out if their local Johnson and Whales Culinary School! The food was fresh and delicious - even the I cream was made in house! Organic and delicious! You must go! Make a reservation if you don't want to wait at the "bar with a view of the harbor"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Lovely, warm, modern decor and comfortable ambiance in the dining room. Service was good and so was the menu selection. but unfortunately, in our opinion (party of 6), the food was mediocre. Very bland seasoning. Cold shrimp served bare - no sauce or seasoning. Avocado served unripened, house special seafood pot, which should have been spicy and full of flavor, was not, stewed eggplant appetizer had way too much vinegar. Nobody raved about anything (although nobody said anything was terrible). Just a mediocre meal in a lovely restaurant that, at those prices, should have been much more taste full and interesting. By the way, lunch on the terrace two days before was, in contrast, very good indeed.
- HokeyMuncho1VIPDined on 8/23/2014I must say at first, that the food was quite excellent, which made up for the subpar service we received. Tables around us received their food before we did, even thought we were seated first. Prices I thought, were a tad high compared to places in RI we have been, which I would consider four to five star. A scallop dish is generally priced in the high twenty dollar range. Jamestown Fish was in the low thirties. Maybe in works for the tourists, but in the winter you gotta keep that register ringing, and I won't be making the ride there from Cumberland, when restaurants in Providence are closer and cheaper., for the same quality. And owners, put something over the AC vents in the floors other than tin pans. That's HOKEY. Try duct tape.Special Features:
- butjames60OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Great experience with wonderful food using local ingredients. Outside space was nice but the inside of the restaurant is where the chef does his magic. This is the most for those who appreciate fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceWearytravellerDined on 8/16/2014Vibrant place ( but not too loud) with great food and atmosphere. Fresh takes on local seafood and produce including creative vegan optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousMariVIPDined on 8/16/2014Visited restaurant for anniversary celebration dinner, food was delicious and creatively presented, atmosphere is comfortable and staff was attentive and helpful, can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a downsideluvthfoodDined on 8/14/2014Excellent flavors , great creativity, cooked to order, fresh selections, octopus was superb. Home made desserts , exotic sorbet flavors. With all that said, a bit pricey based on portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and accomodatingrudster123Dined on 8/14/2014All of the seafood was awesome. Best swordfish I've had all summer. As I didn't want any carbs, the chef prepared a bed of sauteed spinach that was perfection!!Special Features:
- WHAT A FIND♣SpoonfulDined on 8/14/2014Recent dinner choices included a refreshing summer soup, succulent octopus, flavorful mako, a unique and generous seafood cookpot and homemade basil ice cream. A unique restaurant where basic seafood is paired with fresh ingredients yielding extraordinary flavor. Each table is visited by the chef. My booking noted that we were requesting quieter seating as we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We were concerned about the critical comments on noise levels. The restaurant was nearly full, but it was not loud. Upon arrival, the hostess, and server, Alissa, acknowledged our occasion, and we received complimentary delicacies. Parking is a challenge as there is no parking lot or valet. Polite service. Commensurate pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/9/2014Love the food! Beautiful inside and outside. BUT, too noisy inside! Will never eat indoors again ~Special Features:
- Foodgasm on the waterPVSBVIPDined on 8/6/2014If you want the very best seafood experience, Jamestown FiSH is the place to go. The Cookpot of seafood will deliver you to nirvana! Service was a little spotty, but we came for the incredible food. If the weather permits, get seated outside. The restaurant is 1/2 block from the bay!Special Features:
- Super food, impossibly noisySisterDined on 8/6/2014Terrific food, service on the slow side. Very noisy, couldn't hear the wait staff and impossible to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Great dinnerLizzyDined on 8/2/2014We were party of 4 and everyone was happy with their dinner choices. For desert we chose ice cream and there was plenty to share - also very good, especially caramel/saltSpecial Features:
- Excellent!nickysticksDined on 8/2/2014This was my second time there in a week. First time was a Tuesday evening, on the outside patio with my business partner. Second time was Saturday night with my girlfriend in the dining room. On both occasions the food was phenomenal, the service excellent, and the chef came out to ask if we were happy with the meal. My only minor complaint is that it was a little loud in the dining room (from the tables full of other customers) and sometimes difficult to hear my girlfriend or the wait staff. Definitely recommend and will return.Special Features:
- A gem in Jamestown ....OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014Every so often you find a place that immediately speaks to you. Jamestown FiSH is one of those spots. Passion and attention to detail are the operative words. Chef Matthew MacCartney and his team are killing it, with a menu that channels Rhode Island seafood traditions accented by French and Italian influences. The carefully curated wine list includes some amazing finds at more-than-fair prices. Many similarly pedigreed chefs (MacCartney has stints at Daniel, Craft, Gramercy Tavern, stages in France and Italy) fail to deliver the goods. But Matteo - as staff and friends call him - has the chops to back up the resume. Pristine seafood, housemade pasta and a killer veal chop are a few of your options. So good we went 2 nights consecutively ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 289 reviews are from the Jamestown FiSH reviews archive.
- A visit from the ChefJohnPDined on 7/26/2014It's always great to be pleasantly surprised when you try a resturant for the first time. FISH met every expectation we had; great atmosphere, ambiance, a great menu and fantastic tasting food. A visit from the chef with an explanation of our menu choices topped it off!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.