14 Narragansett Ave.
Jamestown, RI 02835Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jamestownfishri.com/
- Phone: 4014233474x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room - Wednesday to Sunday 5pm to close
Bridge Bar- Wednesday to Sunday 4pm to close
Patio seating available Monday thru Sunday 12pm to close
Reservations can be made for our Main Dining Room only. Patio dining is on a first come first served basis.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Matthew MacCartney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us for wine dinners throughout the year.
A word from Jamestown FiSH
Jamestown FiSH features a european inspired seafood menu prepared by Adward winning Executive Chef Matthew MacCartney.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Jamestown FiSH - Best Restaurants in Jamestown ›
Jamestown FiSH reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (61)great for outdoor dining (52)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (40)notable wine list (40)scenic view (21)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (10)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AmazingEfreedgoVIPDined on 8/27/2014Vibrant, creative cuisine in a beautiful room. Service not quite up to food but very good .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside the Newport tourist trapmissyVIPDined on 8/24/2014We stayed in Newport but drove 10 minutes to this quaint seaside town to visit a friend. Jamestown Fish is on the quaint strip of restaurants and stores and was a real find! The head chefs were both trained in NY. And their up and coming chefs are right out if their local Johnson and Whales Culinary School! The food was fresh and delicious - even the I cream was made in house! Organic and delicious! You must go! Make a reservation if you don't want to wait at the "bar with a view of the harbor"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Lovely, warm, modern decor and comfortable ambiance in the dining room. Service was good and so was the menu selection. but unfortunately, in our opinion (party of 6), the food was mediocre. Very bland seasoning. Cold shrimp served bare - no sauce or seasoning. Avocado served unripened, house special seafood pot, which should have been spicy and full of flavor, was not, stewed eggplant appetizer had way too much vinegar. Nobody raved about anything (although nobody said anything was terrible). Just a mediocre meal in a lovely restaurant that, at those prices, should have been much more taste full and interesting. By the way, lunch on the terrace two days before was, in contrast, very good indeed.
- butjames60OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Great experience with wonderful food using local ingredients. Outside space was nice but the inside of the restaurant is where the chef does his magic. This is the most for those who appreciate fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceWearytravellerDined on 8/16/2014Vibrant place ( but not too loud) with great food and atmosphere. Fresh takes on local seafood and produce including creative vegan optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousMariVIPDined on 8/16/2014Visited restaurant for anniversary celebration dinner, food was delicious and creatively presented, atmosphere is comfortable and staff was attentive and helpful, can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a downsideluvthfoodDined on 8/14/2014Excellent flavors , great creativity, cooked to order, fresh selections, octopus was superb. Home made desserts , exotic sorbet flavors. With all that said, a bit pricey based on portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and accomodatingrudster123Dined on 8/14/2014All of the seafood was awesome. Best swordfish I've had all summer. As I didn't want any carbs, the chef prepared a bed of sauteed spinach that was perfection!!Special Features:
- WHAT A FIND♣SpoonfulDined on 8/14/2014Recent dinner choices included a refreshing summer soup, succulent octopus, flavorful mako, a unique and generous seafood cookpot and homemade basil ice cream. A unique restaurant where basic seafood is paired with fresh ingredients yielding extraordinary flavor. Each table is visited by the chef. My booking noted that we were requesting quieter seating as we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We were concerned about the critical comments on noise levels. The restaurant was nearly full, but it was not loud. Upon arrival, the hostess, and server, Alissa, acknowledged our occasion, and we received complimentary delicacies. Parking is a challenge as there is no parking lot or valet. Polite service. Commensurate pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/9/2014Love the food! Beautiful inside and outside. BUT, too noisy inside! Will never eat indoors again ~Special Features:
- Foodgasm on the waterPVSBVIPDined on 8/6/2014If you want the very best seafood experience, Jamestown FiSH is the place to go. The Cookpot of seafood will deliver you to nirvana! Service was a little spotty, but we came for the incredible food. If the weather permits, get seated outside. The restaurant is 1/2 block from the bay!Special Features:
- Super food, impossibly noisySisterDined on 8/6/2014Terrific food, service on the slow side. Very noisy, couldn't hear the wait staff and impossible to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Great dinnerLizzyDined on 8/2/2014We were party of 4 and everyone was happy with their dinner choices. For desert we chose ice cream and there was plenty to share - also very good, especially caramel/saltSpecial Features:
- Excellent!nickysticksDined on 8/2/2014This was my second time there in a week. First time was a Tuesday evening, on the outside patio with my business partner. Second time was Saturday night with my girlfriend in the dining room. On both occasions the food was phenomenal, the service excellent, and the chef came out to ask if we were happy with the meal. My only minor complaint is that it was a little loud in the dining room (from the tables full of other customers) and sometimes difficult to hear my girlfriend or the wait staff. Definitely recommend and will return.Special Features:
- A gem in Jamestown ....OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014Every so often you find a place that immediately speaks to you. Jamestown FiSH is one of those spots. Passion and attention to detail are the operative words. Chef Matthew MacCartney and his team are killing it, with a menu that channels Rhode Island seafood traditions accented by French and Italian influences. The carefully curated wine list includes some amazing finds at more-than-fair prices. Many similarly pedigreed chefs (MacCartney has stints at Daniel, Craft, Gramercy Tavern, stages in France and Italy) fail to deliver the goods. But Matteo - as staff and friends call him - has the chops to back up the resume. Pristine seafood, housemade pasta and a killer veal chop are a few of your options. So good we went 2 nights consecutively ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A visit from the ChefJohnPDined on 7/26/2014It's always great to be pleasantly surprised when you try a resturant for the first time. FISH met every expectation we had; great atmosphere, ambiance, a great menu and fantastic tasting food. A visit from the chef with an explanation of our menu choices topped it off!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014We had a fabulous meal. What a find! A wonderful alternative to the insane dining scene in downtown Newport. Well worth the trip across the bridge to Jamestown, which has it's own cool vibe. Food was spectacular. Space was hip, understated and just right. Loved it.Special Features:
- GammeeDined on 7/25/2014The food and the service lived up to the reputation, both were very good. We all had delicious meals and we enjoyed the extensive wine list. We enjoyed a cocktail in the side terrace. The initial impression on entering the restaurant was a bit off putting; at the hostess stand there was an bothersome unpleasant smell (seemingly cleaning product) and the first thing we saw were the bathroom doors was off putting. The dining room lacks warmth and the noise level was too high. That said, we will be back for the food and wine, but hope to see a change in the atmosphere when we get there.Special Features:
- Fish exceeded our expectationsLadyLCGDined on 7/25/2014I held off trying Fish when it first opened but finally got a chance to dine there while visiting Newport again this month. Although the restaurant was excessively noisy, our party of three enjoyed ourselves. The food was really good. I had the smoked salmon & avocado to start and the halibut for my main meal which was served on top of a bed of spinach and then a layer of pureed cauliflower. One of the better meals I've had in the Newport area. Tip of the hat to the employees too from the young woman who seated us to the female server and two bussers. Outstanding and I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- euromarineVIPDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is at par with the very best located at the-other-side-of-the-bridge! Nice touch is that chef Matt personally comes by your table to make sure you are happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food & Service!BodybuildinAndSnobbyLivinVIPDined on 7/19/2014Andy was an amazing hostess who helped my girlfriend and I to find open seats at one of the restaurant's 3 bars. She was so genuinely nice and helpful to the two of us the entire evening. The bartender in the main dining room was very personable and our waitress was extremely professional and attentive to our needs. In addition to the delicious food, the fact that the head chef took time out to help us with our wine selection as well as check on our dining experience following our meal scored major points with us. We will be dining here again for fresh perfectly plancha seared seafood in the near future!Special Features:
- Nice placeRalphDined on 7/18/2014It was a nice place good wine selection. The good was good bit not memorable. Very noisy in the dinning room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible FoodExpertDinerDined on 7/17/2014The food was the best I had during my 5 day stay in the area. The scallops with a cauliflower saffron sauce was amazing. Almost everything was excellent. One exception was the octopus salad appetizer. The octopus was a little dry (overcooked?). The waitress could not have been any better, although the time between appetizer and entree seemed a little long, as the indoor restaurant was not crowded, but was perhaps due to a crowded patio area. However, the patio area is non-reservation and has a different menu, so perhaps the indoor dining room should receive more attention? The different menus for outside and inside dining areas did create confusion for more than one group. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super place.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014We ate in the dining room. How beautifully presented, the colors so fitting for an ocean view restaurant. The food was beautifully presented and prepared...and tasted great! We were a table of three. Had drinks, salads, pasta with lobster and crab, and fresh tuna. Loved the whole meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring a fly swatter!WelikeDandDVIPDined on 7/13/2014Our second visit to a promising venue was most disappointing. Special of the night was Dover sole but served bone in. I couldnt believe it, I asked if they would de-bone it and waitress, with a bit of an attitude said it would take longer if they did that, I said we could wait. I live in NYC and most places there take pride in presenting a nicely filleted Dover sole w/o bones. The fish was good but had at least 20 bones left in it, not a way to savour a nice fillet. Also, we were one of 3 occupied tables in the place while the outdoor patio was humming. We were inside and were swatting at flies around the table all night. Decent menu and food quality but service was poor. Wont go back for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningKarlFDined on 7/11/2014Jamestown Fish provided a great dinning experiance The quality and tast was off the hook! Cheif Matt and his team are trully talentedSpecial Features:
- ANOTHER LOVELY MEALJoJoDined on 7/6/2014This is probably our fifth or sixth time to JAMESTOWN FISH. As always, we are greeted by Chef Matthew as we come in. My dinner companion ordered the tuna, which was lightly seared and still red inside. It was delicious. I was not so hungry and so ordered the octopus appetizer only. The dish was a little one-note for me. I avoided the red pepper on the plate, and perhaps it was missing the olives and capers that were described on the menu because I only tasted a hint of lemon. The octopus was VERY tender, though. The service is always very good, although my plate sat empty in front of me for about 20 minutes before the waitstaff came and cleared it away. The wine list is very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- W O N D E R F U L!LDR9608VIPDined on 7/4/2014We made a reservation at Jamestown Fish for the 4th of July knowing that the weather was going to be less than cooperative. We started out having a drink in the upstairs bar. Great selection of Bourbon and Scotch as well as a very nice array of mixed specialties. Dinner was fantastic with a lot of great choices. If you can't decide, go with the cookpot...it's got a little of everything. Save some room for dessert...and don't worry if you bought a bottle of wine, they will cork it up, put it in a bag, and you can take it with you. It's a short walk to the marina if you need to stretch your legs after dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceJabirdDined on 6/21/2014Great food, great wine, great company. All the dishes were extremely fresh and showed nice creativity, the sitting was beautiful and super friendly environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Qualified Ratings-Noise Alert!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Thru Open Table had requested outdoor dining only to be seated in a deafening dining room so loud that we asked to be moved outside. The very helpful hostess explained reservations only applied to the dining room and that there would be a 30 minute wait for an outside table. On the verge of leaving, she came up with a great table on a small deck adjoining the bar and everything was great from thereon (food, service, ambience). However, on weekends at least, I will not chance the very loud dining room again as the food is too good and the prices are too high to allow an evening to be compromised by such high decibels.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid Evening at Jamestown FishJames0806Dined on 6/21/2014We met friends whom we hadn't seen in many years for dinner Saturday evening. Everything about the experience was wonderful; the food, the service and the ambience. We ate inside, and were not rushed at all. In fact, we spent three hours at the table enjoying our meal and company. We always enjoy our experience at Jamestown Fish and look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:
- A lovely dining experienceDebHubbDined on 6/20/2014Jamestown Fish has a lovely dining room on the first floor which is very fresh with the white trim and nautical blue walls. Our dining experience was lovely with appetizers of octopus, crab, egg plant and home made mozzarella with roasted peppers. Our dinners were also delightful with their specialty fish crock pot and dover sole. Everything was lovely and it was our second time there. However I will share the prices in the dining room are on the higher side with dinners averaging $40 and appetizers $15. Another nice touch was the Chef coming out to visit each table.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!euromarineVIPDined on 6/15/2014One of the best restaurants in the area. If you are visiting Newport then it is well worth "crossing the bridge" to this dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbCLNYVIPDined on 6/14/2014Always a great dining experience. a never miss restaurant. this visit, as i made my reservations on open table, i requested dover sole on the bone. this is not on the regular menu, only sometimes a special. When i arrived, the chef told me that he had aquired the sole. Needless to say, it was cooked to perfection. can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok.MRBOBDined on 6/7/2014We sat inside. Arrived at 6:15 for 6:45 res. but had to wait the half hour at the bar even though there were 3 empty tables inside. One finally filled 1.5 hours later. Table service was very good, kitchen production was very slow. Seemed as though they concentrated on the outdoor tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fine, Service needs workJerandnancDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I visited on a Friday evening. My lobster roll was ok though not substantial; the waitress indicated a much larger serving. My wife had scallops which were really good. Service was slow even though there were only 3 tables plus ours being used. The waitress needed to be reminded twice to bring some basics to our table. No bread was served until we asked into the meal. Bartender and chef both visited our table which was a nice touch. Expensive for lobster roll, good deal on the scallops.
- ExcellenceLouInPortsmouthVIPDined on 5/31/2014Party of four and every meal was outstanding - appetizer to desert.Special Features:
- Great Exerience.CharlotteDined on 5/31/2014Everything in this restaurant is done with class including table setting and staff. Food is wonderful, service top rate and is my new favorite restaurant. The chief is very talented. We spent more money than normal because we could not resist so many items on the menu, including homemade ice cream, which is to die for. Certainly worth the experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful place to eat and drinkhplmVIPDined on 5/21/2014Fish in Jamestown RI is a First class restaurant which would not be out of place in Mid Town Manhattan or Downtown San Francisco Innovative preparations of fresh fish and meats. You can't go wrong, no matter what you pick on the menu.Special Features:
- Just OkMA179Dined on 5/18/2014The appetizers were good. The place wasn't too crowded, but there was only 1 person working at the outside bar area. The Pizza was also fine. The meals weren't too good. The Steak frites came as too overcooked large pieces of meat, tasty fries and a salad. Four of us got that (ordered medium and medium rare). One came out medium and the rest well done and very tough. The flounder was ok but they never brought the potatoes, then after my husband finished the waitress came out with a small bowl of fries and said they didn't have any potatoes. The meal is different outside, so I cannot comments on the food in the dining room. Maybe it was just a bad day. We wouldn't go back.Special Features: