14 Narragansett Ave.
Jamestown, RI 02835Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jamestownfishri.com/
- Phone: (401) 423-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room - Wednesday to Sunday 5pm to close
Bridge Bar- Wednesday to Sunday 4pm to close
Patio seating available Monday thru Sunday 12pm to close
Reservations can be made for our Main Dining Room only. Patio dining is on a first come first served basis.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Matthew MacCartney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us for wine dinners throughout the year.
A word from Jamestown FiSH
Jamestown FiSH features a european inspired seafood menu prepared by Award winning Executive Chef Matthew MacCartney.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Jamestown FiSH - Best Restaurants in Jamestown ›
Jamestown FiSH reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)special occasion (62)great for outdoor dining (46)notable wine list (44)romantic (40)neighborhood gem (40)hot spot (18)scenic view (12)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014We had a fabulous meal. What a find! A wonderful alternative to the insane dining scene in downtown Newport. Well worth the trip across the bridge to Jamestown, which has it's own cool vibe. Food was spectacular. Space was hip, understated and just right. Loved it.Special Features:
- GammeeDined on 7/25/2014The food and the service lived up to the reputation, both were very good. We all had delicious meals and we enjoyed the extensive wine list. We enjoyed a cocktail in the side terrace. The initial impression on entering the restaurant was a bit off putting; at the hostess stand there was an bothersome unpleasant smell (seemingly cleaning product) and the first thing we saw were the bathroom doors was off putting. The dining room lacks warmth and the noise level was too high. That said, we will be back for the food and wine, but hope to see a change in the atmosphere when we get there.Special Features:
- The following 286 reviews are from the Jamestown FiSH reviews archive.
- Fish exceeded our expectationsLadyLCGDined on 7/25/2014I held off trying Fish when it first opened but finally got a chance to dine there while visiting Newport again this month. Although the restaurant was excessively noisy, our party of three enjoyed ourselves. The food was really good. I had the smoked salmon & avocado to start and the halibut for my main meal which was served on top of a bed of spinach and then a layer of pureed cauliflower. One of the better meals I've had in the Newport area. Tip of the hat to the employees too from the young woman who seated us to the female server and two bussers. Outstanding and I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- euromarineVIPDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is at par with the very best located at the-other-side-of-the-bridge! Nice touch is that chef Matt personally comes by your table to make sure you are happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food & Service!BodybuildinAndSnobbyLivinVIPDined on 7/19/2014Andy was an amazing hostess who helped my girlfriend and I to find open seats at one of the restaurant's 3 bars. She was so genuinely nice and helpful to the two of us the entire evening. The bartender in the main dining room was very personable and our waitress was extremely professional and attentive to our needs. In addition to the delicious food, the fact that the head chef took time out to help us with our wine selection as well as check on our dining experience following our meal scored major points with us. We will be dining here again for fresh perfectly plancha seared seafood in the near future!Special Features:
- Nice placeRalphDined on 7/18/2014It was a nice place good wine selection. The good was good bit not memorable. Very noisy in the dinning room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible FoodExpertDinerDined on 7/17/2014The food was the best I had during my 5 day stay in the area. The scallops with a cauliflower saffron sauce was amazing. Almost everything was excellent. One exception was the octopus salad appetizer. The octopus was a little dry (overcooked?). The waitress could not have been any better, although the time between appetizer and entree seemed a little long, as the indoor restaurant was not crowded, but was perhaps due to a crowded patio area. However, the patio area is non-reservation and has a different menu, so perhaps the indoor dining room should receive more attention? The different menus for outside and inside dining areas did create confusion for more than one group. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super place.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014We ate in the dining room. How beautifully presented, the colors so fitting for an ocean view restaurant. The food was beautifully presented and prepared...and tasted great! We were a table of three. Had drinks, salads, pasta with lobster and crab, and fresh tuna. Loved the whole meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring a fly swatter!WelikeDandDVIPDined on 7/13/2014Our second visit to a promising venue was most disappointing. Special of the night was Dover sole but served bone in. I couldnt believe it, I asked if they would de-bone it and waitress, with a bit of an attitude said it would take longer if they did that, I said we could wait. I live in NYC and most places there take pride in presenting a nicely filleted Dover sole w/o bones. The fish was good but had at least 20 bones left in it, not a way to savour a nice fillet. Also, we were one of 3 occupied tables in the place while the outdoor patio was humming. We were inside and were swatting at flies around the table all night. Decent menu and food quality but service was poor. Wont go back for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningKarlFDined on 7/11/2014Jamestown Fish provided a great dinning experiance The quality and tast was off the hook! Cheif Matt and his team are trully talentedSpecial Features:
- ANOTHER LOVELY MEALJoJoDined on 7/6/2014This is probably our fifth or sixth time to JAMESTOWN FISH. As always, we are greeted by Chef Matthew as we come in. My dinner companion ordered the tuna, which was lightly seared and still red inside. It was delicious. I was not so hungry and so ordered the octopus appetizer only. The dish was a little one-note for me. I avoided the red pepper on the plate, and perhaps it was missing the olives and capers that were described on the menu because I only tasted a hint of lemon. The octopus was VERY tender, though. The service is always very good, although my plate sat empty in front of me for about 20 minutes before the waitstaff came and cleared it away. The wine list is very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- W O N D E R F U L!LDR9608VIPDined on 7/4/2014We made a reservation at Jamestown Fish for the 4th of July knowing that the weather was going to be less than cooperative. We started out having a drink in the upstairs bar. Great selection of Bourbon and Scotch as well as a very nice array of mixed specialties. Dinner was fantastic with a lot of great choices. If you can't decide, go with the cookpot...it's got a little of everything. Save some room for dessert...and don't worry if you bought a bottle of wine, they will cork it up, put it in a bag, and you can take it with you. It's a short walk to the marina if you need to stretch your legs after dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceJabirdDined on 6/21/2014Great food, great wine, great company. All the dishes were extremely fresh and showed nice creativity, the sitting was beautiful and super friendly environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Qualified Ratings-Noise Alert!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Thru Open Table had requested outdoor dining only to be seated in a deafening dining room so loud that we asked to be moved outside. The very helpful hostess explained reservations only applied to the dining room and that there would be a 30 minute wait for an outside table. On the verge of leaving, she came up with a great table on a small deck adjoining the bar and everything was great from thereon (food, service, ambience). However, on weekends at least, I will not chance the very loud dining room again as the food is too good and the prices are too high to allow an evening to be compromised by such high decibels.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid Evening at Jamestown FishJames0806Dined on 6/21/2014We met friends whom we hadn't seen in many years for dinner Saturday evening. Everything about the experience was wonderful; the food, the service and the ambience. We ate inside, and were not rushed at all. In fact, we spent three hours at the table enjoying our meal and company. We always enjoy our experience at Jamestown Fish and look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:
- A lovely dining experienceDebHubbDined on 6/20/2014Jamestown Fish has a lovely dining room on the first floor which is very fresh with the white trim and nautical blue walls. Our dining experience was lovely with appetizers of octopus, crab, egg plant and home made mozzarella with roasted peppers. Our dinners were also delightful with their specialty fish crock pot and dover sole. Everything was lovely and it was our second time there. However I will share the prices in the dining room are on the higher side with dinners averaging $40 and appetizers $15. Another nice touch was the Chef coming out to visit each table.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!euromarineVIPDined on 6/15/2014One of the best restaurants in the area. If you are visiting Newport then it is well worth "crossing the bridge" to this dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbCLNYVIPDined on 6/14/2014Always a great dining experience. a never miss restaurant. this visit, as i made my reservations on open table, i requested dover sole on the bone. this is not on the regular menu, only sometimes a special. When i arrived, the chef told me that he had aquired the sole. Needless to say, it was cooked to perfection. can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok.MRBOBDined on 6/7/2014We sat inside. Arrived at 6:15 for 6:45 res. but had to wait the half hour at the bar even though there were 3 empty tables inside. One finally filled 1.5 hours later. Table service was very good, kitchen production was very slow. Seemed as though they concentrated on the outdoor tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fine, Service needs workJerandnancDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I visited on a Friday evening. My lobster roll was ok though not substantial; the waitress indicated a much larger serving. My wife had scallops which were really good. Service was slow even though there were only 3 tables plus ours being used. The waitress needed to be reminded twice to bring some basics to our table. No bread was served until we asked into the meal. Bartender and chef both visited our table which was a nice touch. Expensive for lobster roll, good deal on the scallops.
- ExcellenceLouInPortsmouthVIPDined on 5/31/2014Party of four and every meal was outstanding - appetizer to desert.Special Features:
- Great Exerience.CharlotteDined on 5/31/2014Everything in this restaurant is done with class including table setting and staff. Food is wonderful, service top rate and is my new favorite restaurant. The chief is very talented. We spent more money than normal because we could not resist so many items on the menu, including homemade ice cream, which is to die for. Certainly worth the experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful place to eat and drinkhplmVIPDined on 5/21/2014Fish in Jamestown RI is a First class restaurant which would not be out of place in Mid Town Manhattan or Downtown San Francisco Innovative preparations of fresh fish and meats. You can't go wrong, no matter what you pick on the menu.Special Features:
- Just OkMA179Dined on 5/18/2014The appetizers were good. The place wasn't too crowded, but there was only 1 person working at the outside bar area. The Pizza was also fine. The meals weren't too good. The Steak frites came as too overcooked large pieces of meat, tasty fries and a salad. Four of us got that (ordered medium and medium rare). One came out medium and the rest well done and very tough. The flounder was ok but they never brought the potatoes, then after my husband finished the waitress came out with a small bowl of fries and said they didn't have any potatoes. The meal is different outside, so I cannot comments on the food in the dining room. Maybe it was just a bad day. We wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Great SpotTylerDined on 5/17/2014Went for a "special occasion" and was thoroughly impressed with the entire experience - staff was amazing and food was awesome! We WILL be back soon!Special Features:
- Wonderful MealJLeeDined on 5/17/2014The food was terrific and the staff exemplary. I really appreciated the healthy fresh food. For once I didn't feel as if I had to rewrite the menu to make it low carb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fishYumyumVIPDined on 4/19/2014Service staff terrific. Wait for main meal a bit long.great fish. Might have been nice to have a bit more ion the plate like a starch. Great homemade ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy jointTCKCDined on 4/13/2014The ambiance was great, the service was exceptional and the fish was spectacularSpecial Features:
- Fabulous Lunch!ElishkaDined on 4/13/2014This was a truly excellent meal, impressing and delighting a tough audience of four. The chicken with polenta was to die for, made all the more memorable when the chef came out to chat at the end of the meal and shared how he'd made it. I've been here before for dinner and always liked it, but this Sunday lunch was the best yet!Special Features:
- GREAT experienceGreatDined on 4/12/2014I came here during Newport restaurant week and was so happy that I did. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I had a 8:30pm reservation and when I arrived our table wasn't ready but it was worth hanging out in the beautiful bar upstair over looking the water. The food was outstanding and the chief came over to the table twice to check in which made the experience even better. I live in New York but will definitely be back just to go there again. Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jamestown FISHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Excellent meal with a fabulous waitress! The only problem of the evening was the noise level. The waitress explained that it was unusually noisy since background music system was broken. Due to noise we believe our soup order was entered wrong. We were looking forward to Butternut Soup, but received Fish soup instead.Special Features:
- The food was mediocre, presentationmslisaDined on 4/10/2014The food was mediocre, presentation was very good, noise level was annoyingly high. Had trouble hearing others at my table of four. Won't go back.
- Newport Restaurant WeekBonnetDined on 4/9/2014Tried Fish for first time; menu had variety especially for Restaurant Week. Service was outstanding and food was good. The fact that the cheapest bottle of wine was $50 and escalated from there threw us totally off. Instead, we each had a glass for $8 which when eyeballed was 1/2- 2/3 cup of wine in a big glass. That $50 is regularly $100; not your usual choice at most restaurants. And we were there early...6:15 and it was comfortably conversational by the time we left at 7:30 the conversation level was very loud.Special Features:
- Jamestown GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014First time that my wife and I have been to Fish - took advantage of resturant week - and the dining experience was Great! Food was incredible and when we could not decide on a wine, the chef came out and made a fantastic recommendation for us. Only reason ambience was less than outstanding was the fact that our table did not have a view but that did not take away from our experience at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute but ..SeafoodDined on 4/5/2014The food was very good.except I told the waitress that I couldn't eat garlic yet my breath reeked of it the next day and my stomach paid for it. I'm not sure if it was on the potatoes or the tuna. The place was cute and clean but the tables were so close that there was no privacy and you couldn't help but overhear the next table's conversation and had to be guarded about your conversation, but had to be loud so your dining partner could hear you. My date would prefer not sharing the WC since she had to put the seat down before using. JED
- Am telling all my friends!foodforlifeDined on 4/5/2014I am definitely a Fish fan, but my recent visit with friends for Restaurant Week and to celebrate a friends birthday that ends in an "0" was wonderful! My personal favorites were the Shrimp Appetizer, Chicken Saltimbocca & the homemade ice creams! Our server, Alyssa is lighthearted, deftly attentive to details and savvy about wine pairings! Looking forward to the new season at Fish!Special Features:
- We were there on a very busyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014We were there on a very busy evening during Restaurant Week. The food was delicious and the service impeccable. A very enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service excellent....theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014Food and service excellent....the only caveat is the noise level...quite noisy and distracting...I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried out this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2014We tried out this restaurant during Restaurant Week and following some great press for the chef. It was decent, but not great. The squash soup was more a confection than soup - candied ginger and other sweet bits tossed on brown-butter enhanced pureed vegetable seemed like overkill. The scrod with tomato, olives, and capers was acceptable, if somewhat bland. The 'homespun' strawberry ice cream was also surprisingly lacking in flavor. The service was swift if a tad perfunctory. Loved the decor. We may try it again on a regular night when the menu feels less like a marketing exercise than a passion for delivering great food.
- Very goodBarbDined on 4/4/2014We had never tried Jamestown Fish and decided to go during Newport Restaurant Week. The space is very pretty, and we think the outside area would be really fun in the summer. The service was excellent, and the food varied from good to excellent. I had the chicken saltimbocca, which I thought was just good, my husband liked it better. The pairing of the chicken with cheesy polenta wasn't the best, I thought, as the cheese tended to overpower the chicken. My husband had the linguini with clams, which was excellent. I had a special appetizer of a raw tuna in a citrus habanero sauce, which I absolutely loved. The sauce was a little overpowering to the tuna but it was so delicious I didn't care. My husband's crab appetizer was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.