James Landing Grille at the Marina
1010 Kingsmill Rd
Williamsburg, VA 23185Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
James Landing Grille at the Marina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kingsmill.com/jameslandinggrille/
- Phone: 757-564-5320
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: Noon - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: Dale Ford
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Jason Goodnite 757-810-3743
- Entertainment: Musical entertainment will be available seasonally on the James Landing Grille deck.
A word from James Landing Grille at the Marina
Kingsmill Resort has reintroduced waterfront dining to its collection of five restaurants with the James Landing Grille. This culinary experience features a two-story restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating. The James Landing Grille is a wonderful place to gather with family and friends at Williamsburg's only riverfront restaurant option. The James Landing Grille has a full menu primarily focused on fresh ingredients and locally-sourced seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
James Landing Grille at the Marina reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great experienceEchototoDined on 11/29/2013We had a wonderful time and great food and wine. The lobster tails are exceptional!Special Features:
- Rekhi's Thanksgiving experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013Food was dry and cold. Cold food should be cold but hot food should be hot (in temperature). For the price we paid here we used to get a grand feast at Two Rivers Country Club. We did not enjoy the experience but did not want to share it with the server because he was very good at his job.Special Features:
- Nice Sunday lunchVADinersLoveToEatVIPDined on 11/17/2013It was very quiet the day we dined. We were in between the lunch and dinner times, so we basically had the place to ourselves. The food was very good, although one of the dishes (calamari) was room temperature. The salads were nicely presented and the crab cakes were good. Dessert of key lime pie was enjoyed by all. Too bad this place is going to be closed to the public come January when Xanterra will allow only members and hotel guests to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FellowshipMissourinativeDined on 11/15/2013Quiet and welcoming setting makes meeting with friends a delight. Food was superb for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the JamesJAGIIDined on 11/14/2013There is no where better. Always ask for Howard for a special experience you will not forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Captive CustomersOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/2/2013This was the only dinner option open on our stay at Kingsmill Resort, an upscale golf resort - but the restaurant is stuck in a conundrum of food offerings/pricing that will leave most disappointed. Our ceasar salads had a bland dressing and were poorly tossed. Two of the fish entrees we had were clearly previously frozen food service portions - a bland salmon filet with breadcrumbs and mahi that was" blackened". There were no specials offered that night, despite a large crowd. Would have been a great opportunity for the chef to show off his skills - he seemed to convey is what too many hotel restaurants show - that they are unoriginal and uninspired and treat their customers like the captive-buyers-who-might-never-return that they are.Special Features:
- Mediocrity on the JamesGreenMtnGoatDined on 10/31/2013Nothing serious to complain about,but as the premier dining room at a resort like Kingsmill, with many dining venues, one expects more. The menu was "safe" and the preparations competent but unremarkable. "Country Club food" The comtemporary style of the dining room contrasts nicely with the killer view of the James River for real visual appeal. Service was friendly and good. Would I recommend? Not sure. Not bad, but there are better options a short distance off the Kingsmill campus. Maybe guests should go light on dinner and save their appatites for the great breakfasts in the Bray dining room. They nail that.Special Features:
- Food a little disappointingbkp6Dined on 10/31/2013Food a little disappointing but service was excellent - view lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodhappyDined on 10/27/2013Everything was good there. Our waitress had several large tables. We will be back. **Think I left my black sweater there.**Special Features:
- We had a delightful experiencefrequentdinerVIPDined on 10/26/2013We had a delightful experience at this restaurant. It would definitely be on our list for returning often. We were very sorry to hear that the ownership of the resort has made a decision to close their restaurants to the public. We, and everyone we have talked to, think this is a very bad decision. We would love to use this restaurant and others on the property and since we live in Richmond it would be easy to do so, had ownership not decided to close the property to its neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening. We arriveddjmjVIPDined on 10/19/2013Enjoyable evening. We arrived early to experience the happy hour in the bar area. For dinner we were seated on the second floor dining area with a beautiful view of the James River. Food was excellent and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to see it close to the publicBogiecatDined on 10/18/2013First visit..sorry to hear it is closing to the public the first of the year. Food was good, soft music and a spectacular sunset!Special Features:
- Disapointing crab cakesSeafoodLoverDined on 10/11/2013there are very few places in Williamsburg that have outstanding crab cakes and this isn't one of them. the cakes had too much filler and very little taste. The crab meat was very bland. The rock fish topped with crab meat was also ordered and that was very bland as well. Service was very attentive as it was a slow, rainy Friday evening. We are neighborhood residents and are sad that's the best the Grille has to offer.
- Birthday CelebrationGreatExperienceDined on 10/5/2013I took my husband there for his birthday this past weekend. Being from out of town I contacted a friendin the area to ask about a restaurant I was thinking of taking him to. She instead recommended we go to James Landing Grill and I am so glad we did. Everyone was just so nice and the food was great. The atmosphere and the scenery were both perfect. JLG offers inside and outside dining. We chose to dine inside with a wonderful view of the James River, but outside would have also been really nice. We had an early dinner and was there to see the beautiful sunset. Most definitely will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice, relaxing lunchVADinersLoveToEatVIPDined on 10/5/2013It was a gorgeous day in Williamsburg, so we decided to head to the JLG. We had their corn crab chowder which was delicious. It is a generous serving with a garnish of crab atop the soup. My tuna ciabatta sandwich was excellent with my tuna being cooked perfectly. The cilantro lime sour cream was refreshing when poured over the tuna. The French fries were average, a little undercooked for our taste. My spouse had the fried crab cake sandwich which was generous and tasty. Kelly, our server, was attentive. The view is gorgeous overlooking the marina out over the Great James River. It's a nice stop, especially on a gorgeous day. We sat inside due to the heat, but the outside deck is a lovely choice as well with umbrellas providing shade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to go, BUTDrJohnVIPDined on 10/5/2013This restaurant is simply wonderful from service, to food, to view. But will Kingsmill keep it open to the public? It is the question all of us regulars are asking. What a loss if they do not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different scene of Williamsburg3teachersDined on 10/4/2013We truly enjoyed the river side dining at this restaurant. The weather was kind of warm as a beginning of fall but it was nice breeze and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Romantic Spot on the James RiverchocolateloverDined on 9/27/2013My husband and I always eat at the James Landing Grille at the Kings Mills Resort Marina when in Williamsburg; especially if the weather is nice outside. They have outdoor seating so you can enjoy eating on the James River, with music in the background. The service has always been friendly and attentive and the menu has alot of variety and excellent choices. What really takes it to the top is the double double chocolate cake on the dessert menu. We have only had one other chocolate cake (and we dine out alot) that can come close to it and we are delighted to discover this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- going private 1 Jan 2014SadResidentDined on 9/27/2013Sadly the Xanterra management has decided to make this restaurant private and close all public access 1 January 2014. Does not make any business sense but there you have it. This was a nice place to take your family but in January unless you pay about $12,000 initiation deposit and $200 per month member fees you won't be allowed in.Special Features:
- Lunch on the James RiverDonnaDined on 9/27/2013Had a great time bringing an old college friend for lunch. Beautiful views warm outdoor eating plenty of fresh air and exelelent food. Hope to come again !Special Features:
- Nothing Like it on the RiverJAGIIDined on 9/23/2013There is no place on the James river as nice as this marina. If you go once you will go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Boyfriend's Birthday DinnerOut2celebrateDined on 9/21/2013I made reservations for my boyfriend's birthday dinner. When we arrived we were told that the outside deck had been closed for the evening when I especially asked to be seated outside. The service wa outstanding but the food was poor. We bothe had the Oscar Filet Mingon. I have taken many guests to this Marina for special occasions but have never been so disapointed.Special Features:
- Enjoyed everything except the foodGingerDined on 9/21/2013My visit was exceptional except for my food. I ordered "oysters on a half shell and bang bang shrimps." The oysters were very small and very dark; my shrimps were overcooked. It was my desire not to complain because I've eaten there several times and this was the only time I had distasteful food. I do recommend this restaurant because everything about it is usually awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a memorable diningDMForDined on 9/20/2013Definitely a memorable dining experience. Romantic in a fresh outdoor setting. No hassle parking. A big plus in Williamsburg. The outside fire pit was a huge plus when the whole family met for drinks and sunset photos the day after Thanksgiving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four of us ate on a beautifulwayneDined on 9/19/2013Four of us ate on a beautiful evening outside under a full moon. Service was attentive and efficient without being overbearing. The drinks and food arrived cold and hot respectively, in timely fashon. Several of us had the special of the evening which we all thoroughly enjoyed. As an unexpected bonus, a delightful jazz trio was playing at the other end of the deck adding its own brand of ambience to the evening. In every respect the entire evening was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!GolferGirlDined on 9/16/2013We had dinner at James Landing after golf on our 41st anniversary. It couldn't have been a more perfect day for us.Special Features:
- Wonderful riverfront restaurantLuv2EatDined on 9/14/2013We enjoyed every moment at James Landing Grille. The food was very good and a decent size portion. The view we had was spectacular especially watching the sunset while we were eating! Our waitress was very pleasant and catered to our every need. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anybody who is going to stay at Kingsmill Resort and make sure you ask for outside seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the evening veryJackieDined on 9/14/2013We enjoyed the evening very much. I will say that the shrimp po-boy was listed as spicy but was much spicier than we expected. My friend had trouble finishing his. The waiter was very friendly and attentive, without hovering . The weather was perfect for sitting outside.Special Features:
- Location, Location, LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2013The view of the James River is the reason to go to James Landing Grill. We were a group of four who met for lunch on a very humid day so we ate inside. The servers were attentive. There is nothing unique or outstanding on the menu. I had the tuna sandwich, my fellow diners had the tuna nicoise salad, the crab cake sandwich and a hamburger. Of the four orders, probably the salad was the best option. The crab cake was overdone and the sandwiches were served in an odd wire basket. I will return again for the view but without high expectations for the meal.Special Features:
- Pleasant and Relaxing - Good foodSsnsailorVIPDined on 9/8/2013We have dined here several times and were always pleased with selections, presentation and quality. Today was no different than any other time. Food was tasty, good portions and simply yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surprise!China2riderDined on 9/8/2013We heard this was a nice place, although reading recent reviews almost scared us away. I even started to look for alternate places. But we decided to keep the reservations and I am so glad. The venue was beautiful .. Spectacular view. The food was excellent. One person had a crab cake and said it was the best ever. Another had a burger, and it was perfect. The wait staff was very helpful, one of our party was elderly, and they went out of the way to help us. We went for lunch and the view certainly added to the experience, so not sure how it will be at night. We're from out of town so won't be back, as they are changing it to a members only deal...too bad, it's a lovely, relatively unknown, Williamsburg gem. I was so glad we went!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View great, rest indifferentEurodinerDined on 9/4/2013Will someone please tell waiters that the phrase "you guys" is just not a good thing? That it is nice to have a bread plate for one's bread? That using a radio station for background music at a semi-serious restaurant is tacky? My crab cakes were ok, tasting a bit too much of the previously-used oil in which they were fried, the enormous mound of rice was flavorless. The sangria was quite tasty. My boyfriend did not complain about his steak, but he did not get a steak knife. The view at sunset is wonderful and provided the only ambience in this otherwise sterile environment. If you are at Kingsmill, you needn't avoid this restaurant, but do not expect a romantic evening with great food or professional service.Special Features:
- GREAT BOATING SPOT FOR DININGOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2013HAVE MADE THIS A BOATING TRIP FROM WSBG TO KINGSMILL A COUPLE OF TIMES NOW AND AS ALWAYS WAS A GREAT TIME. WILL BE DOING IT AGAIN SOON. GREAT SERVICE AND GOOD FOOD--THE SETTING IS JUST AS WONDERFULSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View can't be beat, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/1/2013We were a party of 6 for lunch. The restaurant was empty when we arrived. Only a few small tables were seated after us, yet they were served before we were. It took 45 minutes to get our food after placing our order! My husband ordered a hamburger medium-rare and it came out well-done. I ordered mine medium and it was medium-well. Needless to say, after waiting for 45 minutes for them to come out, we were not about to send them back. Loved the location, but the food was very disappointing.
- Still needs workKmichaelsheaDined on 8/31/2013I've eaten here twice now since the renovation, and had eaten at the old restaurant many times before. Most recently I was there with my wife and 2 kids (5 & 7 years old), as well as my brother and his wife. We walked in and neither the host nor hostess were friendly. The hostess who sat us gave me 2 kids menus (the kind with activities on them that kids can color on), but when we asked for crayons said they don't have them because kids draw on the tables... So we asked her for a pen, and she never came back. Our server wasn't any better. I'd love to say "I won't go back", but I probably won't have that option since on Jan 1 the resort area of Kinsmill is being closed off to residents who aren't members of the country club.Special Features:
- Sweet 16JerseyPeepsDined on 8/29/2013Did a small birthday dinner with family enjoyed the scenery most of all!!! Our server Lauran was awesome! The seafood was perfect, but had a few complaints about the steaks being over cooked other than that everything else was enjoyable. Also enjoyed the live band as well. 8/29/13Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful spotpaulaprekDined on 8/21/2013I picked this place on-line and it totally lived up to my expectations. They helped me plan a party for 22, sight unseen. The atmosphere was wonderful as was the food and the staff. It is unlike anything else in the area and well worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upon arrival we were toldhealyDined on 8/20/2013Upon arrival we were told that due to "kitchen maintenance" we could only be served cold items from the menu. We left.
- Lovely Evening!mimiDined on 8/17/2013There are few restaurants in the area that offers good food, great location, great vibes and an absolutely beautiful view! It was a lovely evening and I look forward to experiencing it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXELLENT !BobbyDDined on 8/16/2013From the service,to the food, hospitality, view and live music, a wonderful dining experience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.