James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant
616 South President St
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: $30 and under
James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thejamesjoycepub.com/
- Phone: 4107275107
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch & Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am- 1:00am, Sunday: 2:30pm - 12:00am; Late Night Menu after 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Irish
- Executive Chef: Pedro Flores
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Room Capacity & Fees-The James Joyce can comfortably seat 28-33 guests for a seated dinner in one section. With the addition of another section and our small bar we can accommodate up to 60 guests. When choosing the two-section option may require a minimum spend depending on the day and time of the event. For more casual events we offer areas with standing room. During those nice summer days and nights we do have access to our lovely outdoor dining area which can accommodate larger seated functions as well as standing parties. Music & Decoration
You can supply your own music or ask us to recommend one of the many musicians who perform at The James Joyce, with a wide range of options from a solo Harper, to Irish Dancers, to a full band or Piper. Entertainment not arranged by the pub must be approved in advance. Decoration is allowed, except confetti, and anything causing damage will be charged in full to your credit card. You must remove decorations after the function.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Fox 4107275107
- Entertainment: The Pub offers year round entertainment, with live music Friday & Saturday. There is never a cover! Visit our web site for details www.thejamesjoycepub.com
- Cross Street: Fleet & President St
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The James Joyce offers Valet parking seven days a week. Drop off location is at the corner of President and Aliceanna Streets. With James Joyce Validation Valet parking is $8 per car. We also offer self parking in three neighborhood garages for $5 after 5pm. We do not validate any parking options before 5pm. All parking options are valid until 2am. For a detailed map please visit our website and click on "Location"
A word from James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant
The James Joyce management and staff would like to introduce and welcome you to "Baltimore"s Home of Irish Hospitality".The James Joyce is a traditional Irish Pub and Restaurant, which was designed and built in Ireland.Once inside the restaurant, you will be transported across miles of ocean, to a charming and inviting family setting. Whether you are pulling up a bar stool and engaging in conversation with your co-workers; or pulling up a chair at a happy family gathering and being warmed by the fire, we have whatever is needed to make your dining experience a special one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Harbor East ›
James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (7)hot spot (7)special occasion (6)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Office Happy Hourdenise20077Dined on 10/22/2014A group from my office decided to show an out of town vendor a great place for happy hour. James Joyce definitely fits that! We all had 1-2 pints, split happy hour appetizers and saved room for delicious Irish entrees. Great drinks, great food and exceptional service!Special Features:
- WasserboyDined on 10/10/2014We had a reservation for 5:30 on a Friday afternoon and it was a good thing, the hostess turned away the couple before us who didn't. The place was packed in anticipation of the Oriole's game. The menu is typical pub fare, and pretty good. The Guinness was arguably the best that I have had in the States. Not as good as Ireland, but close. The service was decent, but not great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/2/2014The noise level is very high and I would not recommend for business meetings. Quiet conversation can be had outside. The bar itself is extremely noisy but food and service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DBLLDined on 9/18/2014Food was great, but the noise level from the bar was loud and carried through the restaurant.Special Features:
- loved James joyce!loniDined on 9/13/2014The brown irish bread was absolutely delicious! I had the fish & chips and was not disappointed. I also had the irish punch which was excellent. Yummy food and a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PubDittyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great location, across the street from our hotel. It was very kid-friendly for my 7 year old son.Special Features:
- Good AtmospherepandrulonisDined on 9/12/2014Had never been to this restaurant/ pub but it was a great first experience. It's in a vibrant part of the city and the atmosphere is very nice. There were a lot of oekole but it didn't feel like it was crowded. It also has an old time feel with the furniture/ decor. Classic. The food was very good and was prepared very quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchGood4thebellyDined on 8/25/2014Quick on getting the meals out and very friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time...KPReatsVIPDined on 8/9/2014I had the Irish Potato Soup, and the soup of the day, split pea with bacon. Decision time. The potato soup was delicious and the split pea had a lot of bacon in it and also had a great flavor. My wife had the house salad with the onion relish dressing. For our entrees, I had the fish and chips and my wife had the bangers and mash. The fish was hot and crispy and my wife really liked the taste of the sausages that came with her dinner. Lisa, our server, was very polite and was able to answer the few questions we had with no problem. Highly recommend making a reservation. There are plenty of parking options around and some of the garages offer $5 parking. The restaurant also has valet parking for $8.Special Features:
- Super attentive!!PubloverDined on 8/2/2014We celebrated my daughters 21st birthday there. We had a blast, the music was great,food was good and they were super attentive!! I just mentioned us spending the evening there for my daughter's birthday and knew us the minute we hit the door! Planned a special moment with the band without our envolvement!! It was a night my daughter will hold in her heart forever Thank You for the special treatment withou us asking!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than averageKevinDined on 8/2/2014Went to James Joyce as a group of two and enjoyed the experience. The appetizer we ate (the new potato nachos) were surprisingly good and the shepherd's pie was also enjoyable (though I wish they used lamb instead of beef). The Irish pub feel was nice.
- Went on a Living Social - goodChrisVIPDined on 7/15/2014The food was fine - nothing out of the ordinary, but hit the spot. I'm eager to try their brunch some Sunday. We'll be back if we're in the area - probably for their happy hour - but I probably won't go out of my way to go back.Special Features:
- The following 171 reviews are from the James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant reviews archive.
- Food Great service PoorJimHVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had to wait 20 minutes for someone to take our order even thou the place was not crowded. The she brought the worng order which took anouther 10 mni to correct.. When the food finally came it was great. I hope this was a one time event.Special Features:
- Good food but noisy...Dont33050Dined on 6/12/2014We came here for dinner on a chilly raining evening. The lamb stew and shepards pie was appreciated. The service was super and our waitress friendly. The only thing I wish was different was the noise level. All the happy dinners chatting bouncing off hard walls, ceiling and floors made for a very noisy environment. I know some people would think that was part of the charm and make this place more like an Iris pub, but once you get older and your hearing starts to fail, you can hardly make out what the person next to you is trying to tell you...Special Features:
- Great food, great service!judeDined on 6/7/2014James Joyce is a must for us when we are in Baltimore. It is conveniently located across from the Hilton Garden Inn. The staff are courteous and prompt. There are nooks for private conversations or open areas for the more traditional bar feel. The food is reasonably priced and quite tasty.Special Features:
- Get. The. Mussels.MichaelVIPDined on 6/7/2014We've been here before due to its proximity to the Landmark Theater. The food is always decent just like you'd expect from a better Irish pub. But this time the waiter described the mussels and said that he considers them the best in Baltimore. Well I couldn't let that go untested so I ordered them. A few minutes later a large bowl of clean plump mussels swimming in a Guinness cream sauce were delivered. The waiter was right. They were great. Luckily we still had three of the hot rolls that are brought to every table remaining so I was able to use the to sop up that silky delicious sauce. But I couldn't get it all. My only regret was not asking for more rolls to finish it all, but I didn't want to appear gluttonous. ;-)Special Features:
- Must try Baltimore ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014I went here with a group of friends to celebrate my sister's graduation and it was fantastic. We ate outside and the service was absolutely fantastic. Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014Great place to meet and relax. Food was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad waitress. Mediocre food.MStreetVIPDined on 4/22/2014I'm here every week and on Tuesdays have the same waitress who is absolutely horrible and rude. I usually do not drink (I am usually my crew's dd) and getting a water or soda is always a complete imposition. Food has been just ok. Trivia with good friends is the only thing that keeps me coming back. Overall atmosphere for trivia night is fun.Special Features:
- DisappointingBaltimoretimDined on 3/28/2014I made the assumption that a reservation would result in a better table. But instead we were seated at a high top in the bar area. Food was fine but our server was a little hard to find. Great bar, but not where you go for conversation below a scream.Special Features:
- Great place to catch up withcourtneyd2050Dined on 3/21/2014Great place to catch up with friends! Locals and tourists having a good time! Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ambiance and staffpeaCEDined on 3/18/2014Met with three old and dear and wise friends - we all thought the decor, the old Irish building feeling, the ambiance was conducive to a great time and a flavorful meal. I had stated that one of our party was a vegetarian when I made the reservation and we were so pleased that she got special consideration from both the hostess and the waitresses from the moment we came in. She was quite pleased with the plethora of choices for her and my long time friend chose lamb stew and commented on how good it was - I too had crab cake - green beans and carrots served and plated beautifully. We were all happy to be with one another, glad for the friendliness of the environment while really enjoying the sort-of-its-just-us ambiance. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Ever!AdrienneKDined on 3/15/2014I celebrated my 59th birthday on March 15th at the James Joyce. What I thought was going to be an intimate lunch with my husband and daughter turned out to be a massive surprise party with all my co-workers. Service was beyond fast and efficient for our large group and the food was delicious. I was even treated to the repertoire of the guest bagpiper! Thank you to the James Joyce staff and manager for ensuring this was a birthday I will never forget. The ambiance was laugh-friendly, joyful and carefree. The interior was warm and, once inside, it felt like a place on the Irish countryside where locals gather. I highly recommend the James Joyce not to anyone, but rather to EVERYONE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went with two others onOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014I went with two others on a Saturday night. Food was good, came out quickly. Drink service was slow (how long does it take to pour a beer?!). I loved the love music. I would go back specifically for that!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerBaltimoreBettyDined on 3/1/2014The rack of lamb was outstanding. My husband's fish and chips were good but we are spoiled having grown up in North Jersey where we had the best Scottish fish and chip restaurants.Special Features:
- Awesome downtown gathering placeClairespeaksDined on 3/1/2014The menu had all the Irish traditional foods plus something to satisfy the taste of everyone who might choose to dine @ James Joyce. The entire staff was warm, friendly and the atmosphere was ebullient. We dined here based on other Open Table reviews & it was a fantastic choice. We will definitely come here again when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of loud, but very tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Great food; live band started around 10 on a Sat night...great Irish music, but EXTREMELY loud for my husband and I...not that I don't like loud music, but we were trying to talk and couldn't...so, we hurried up to finish eating so we could go somewhere a little quieter! Great food though; I repeat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Drink Choices!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2014We met friends there...it was a little too loud to hear our conversations, but it is a bar! The food was great and the beer choice for the men were a big hit (lots of microbrews/home craft brews) Valet parking was only $9.00 (SCORE!) So , in total, we loved it and would go back!Special Features:
- Good food - good drinksJoysDined on 2/21/2014It's hard to go wrong with any of their food choices. Had a great dinner and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014The setup was "cozy". The location is right off of interstate 83 on the Harbor which was great. The food was not spectacular; I'd say it was decent. We did go during restaurant week so perhaps their cooking was focused on quantity not quality? The drinks were better. I don't think I'll be returning any time soon, though.Special Features:
- HilostboardsDined on 2/17/2014I got the hamburger and the salad which were both in the top three in this neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish PubchristianDined on 2/15/2014Wonderful ambience, friendly efficient service. My wife and I look forward to going here every time we are in the area. Lovely part of Baltimore on the waterfront.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day DinnerGreadDined on 2/14/2014When visiting Baltimore we always find time to stop in at James Joyce. A great little place with timeless history, great food and a rustic pub feel. I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- typical Irish pubCharScottVIPDined on 2/6/2014Good beer on tap - traditional Irish types as well as local. Usual menu - fish and chips, Shepherds Pie, bangers & mash, Steak and Guiness stew, lamb stew, etc. Nice old wood walls, tables, floors, crowded, but good space between the energetic groups. Good service, prompt delivery of food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!PubbernotclubberDined on 1/27/2014My friend and I were here on a Monday night. The atmosphere was casual, and lively; the pub has a lot of space but also an abundance of cozy nooks. I love the old world sturdy wooden tables. Although we had originally just stopped in for drinks, we later ordered some food - comfortable and homey combinations for our beers. Classic pub, we both loved it!Special Features:
- pm reviewpaulDined on 1/18/2014Good atmosphere and location. Food was not very good. Average at best. If you want a beer,this is a good place. But if you want a good meal, you are better off somewhere else
- very nice dinner with friendsJeffDined on 1/11/2014Went on Sat nite. Football game was TVs. Tables were full. Service was good. We weren't heavy drinkers and lingered after dinner without being rushed. You would hope the corn beef and cabbage would be good at an Irish restaurant and it was. Only criticism was that brought my harp in a guinness glass. :)Special Features:
- Fun Spot in Inner HarborKennyPDined on 12/31/2013We spent New Year's Eve at James Joyce. Fun spot to grab a beer and have something to eat any night of the year. New Year's Eve was fun and the band was a good time. We always stop here on a trip to Baltimore.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and delicious fooddavidvanbDined on 12/30/2013I recently took my family, including two teenage sons, here for dinner and we all had a great meal. Our waitress was exceptionally good and she really made the whole experience a very positive one. The food arrived fast, was delicious and came at a great price. Next time we are in Baltimore, there is no doubt we will eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average Irish Pub...WIllaJDined on 12/11/2013I have been here before and had the burger (which was excellent). In discussing with co-workers, they talk so well of other things on the menu. So I went and resisted getting a burger and had the cod.... Not your average cod. It was marinated and very flavorful. the accompanying vegetable were cooked perfectly - not over done, not drowned in butter, but great taste and texture! My friend had the sirloin - which I am VERY reluctant to try at a non-steak restaurant. This too was well prepared, tender and tasty. The only negative was there was too much sauce (though tasty). Can't wait to go back! Great to go with a few friends or alone. The bar is always filled with people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.