James Hoban's Irish Restaurant
1 Dupont Circle
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: $30 and under
James Hoban's Irish Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jameshobansdc.com/
- Phone: 2022238440
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Irish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can provide catering for all your party needs
- Private Party Facilities: We have become the venue of choice for many corporate & social events in the Dupont area. Featuring 2 Private Rooms, one with Full bar, we can cater for up to 150 people. Whether its a small intimate dinner, corporate meeting or large reception, we shall be pleased to discuss the various option available with you. Our private party menus offer a wide selection of lunch, dinner & reception options at competitive pricing.
- Private Party Contact: Manager on Duty 202 223 8440
- Entertainment: Monday: Half Priced Burger Night & Happy Hour 4pm-7pm
Tuesday: Pie And Pint $15 for 20oz Irish Draft And Chicken Pot Pie Or Sheperds Pie. Happy Hour 4pm-7pm
Wednesday: Trivia Night 7.30pm Extended Happy Hour!!!!
Thursday: Half Priced Bottle Of Wine With Entrees Purchase & Happy Hour 4pm-7pm
Saturday: DJ Starts at 10pm
We are showing all the 6 Nations Matches & English Premier League Games. Call To See Our Gaelic Games Schedule.
- Special Events: James Hoban's DC is available for parties and private events!!! Please inquire at email@example.com
A word from James Hoban's Irish Restaurant
Named after the little known Irishman who designed the White House, James Hoban's proudly offers guests a modern day taste of Ireland. We have endeavored to bring to Washington a flavor of today's Ireland, with a look that presents our most cherished traditional aspects and also allows modern Ireland to speak. However, what the Irish value most in their hospitality is its friendliness. We strive above all to provide this ingredient so that you, our customer, can experience true Irish hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
James Hoban's Irish Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Family BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2013Fabulous spot to meet family from out of town. Server was outstanding. Many food choices without being overwhelming. Everyone enjoyed their food. Will eat there again and will recommend to friends going to D.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, fun vibe!DCResidentVIPDined on 4/26/2013James Hoban's is always a fun spot for a casual bite - great service and fun atmosphere. It can get a little loud in the bar area, but there's seating in the back that mitigates that issue. The patio area is one of the best in DC - a great venue to while a way a few hours on a spring evening.Special Features:
- We came to James Hoban's forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013We came to James Hoban's for Saturday brunch when we saw that the Mad Hatter had no reservations. What a nice suprise! There was hardly anyone there and we really enjoyed the $2 mimosas, music, service, and food. Although the brunch menu is short, everyone liked their food. (Party of 4)Special Features:
- bad entreesstardustDined on 4/9/2013The look of the bar is good, the service was excellent, however, the food we had was terrible. My husband had the chicken pot pie, which had little flavor. I had the shepherds pie, it was terrible! This place is good for the bar scene, but I wouldn't recommend the food.Special Features:
- Don't go to Hoban's on St. Pat's!DCResidentVIPDined on 3/16/2013Disappointing experience on St. Patrick's Day. I could have predicted it I suppose, but was hoping for better since Hoban's portrays itself as slightly classier than your average "Irish" bar. Too much I suppose. Terrible! I never even got to sit down.
- Large DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Our server was horrible and told us an Irish restaurant had no drink menu. Also would not recognize our friend's birthday when we'd asked the restaurant to when we made the reservation. Disappointed to say the least.
- We went to James Hoban's forLaurenDined on 2/14/2013We went to James Hoban's for Valentine's Day and were pleasantly surprise to find they had a room prepared for the evening. They had complementary champagne, chocolates, flowers, and the room was quieter and more romantic than the rest of the restaurant. The food was also very good.Special Features:
- Trivia NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2013we went on trivia night - it was a lot of fun and great food/service.Special Features:
- The food was very good. Tablesjrs7VIPDined on 1/18/2013The food was very good. Tables could have been cleaner. They had some greasy film on the tables with a strong smell. First time eating there, it was questionable due to cleanlyness, although the food was very good!
- My favorite brunch place inHerrin96VIPDined on 1/13/2013My favorite brunch place in DC omelets to order football games on tv sort of loud with soccer crowd but the food is hot and adequate servingsSpecial Features:
- No brunch available duringOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/1/2013No brunch available during our visit on New Years. Maybe because it wasn't the weekend, or maybe they just don't serve brunch. The chicken pot pie I had instead was a little bland, though the pastry shell was nice.
- Greta resturant that we bookedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/9/2012Greta resturant that we booked at the last minute. The service was great, food was delicious and quick, and the vibe of the resturant was very hip and friendly.Special Features:
- We went with a living socialLauraUVIPDined on 9/6/2012We went with a living social coupon. The waiter was excellent; he did not try to push extra dringks on us (which happens a lot with coupons). My husbands pork chops were tender and moist. My irish stew was very tasty, though the potatoes in the stew and the added mashed in the center was a bit much. The brad pudding was light and not too sweet - delicious.
- Great potato leek soup!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/17/2012Nice place for a business lunch. The prices are very reasonable and the food is very Irish. The potato leek soup is my favorite.Special Features:
- Less than ImpressedCvilleVisitorVIPDined on 7/1/2012There isn't an appropriate noise rating here - instead of "energetic," I want to just say "too loud." I'm not sure what was going on that night, but the servers were stretched too thin and, as a result, we got pretty lousy service. While some food looked good, I was disappointed to find only two small chunks of lamb in my lamb stew. Needless to say, I left less than impressed.
- The place was packed withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2012The place was packed with various age groups, however, the service was slow. More wait staff was needed. Our appetizer was completely forgotten, and then delivered with our dinner. Both of our meals were warm, but not hot. The appetizer was Hot! No effort was made to amend our appetizer being forgotten. Overall the food was okay. Not the best pub food, but it did have good flavors. If you are looking for a hip spot to grab a drink, this is it. If you want somewhere to talk and have authentic pub style food, maybe not so much.Special Features:
- A waste of time....OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/11/2012I'd love to write a review on the food, experience, etc.... After driving for 5 hours for a lunch meeting we had scheduled for 11:00 am at the restaurant, we were turned away. The gentleman at the door said they opened at 11:30. When told we made reservations for 11:00; he shrugged it off. He said we could sit at a table and wait until 11:30; but we wouldn't have any service until then. He was more concerned at looking at his smart phone then he was in helping out. Still don't understand why a restuarnt would accept reservations if they can't honor them at a certain time.
- The sheppard's pie was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/13/2012The sheppard's pie was delicious! As was the baked chicken. Great, fun place to go.
- The food was surprisinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2012The food was surprisingly good and the staff is always friendly and polite. Its a great place if you like beer and the HH is pretty good as well.Special Features:
- The food was very good. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/7/2012The food was very good. Our eggs were perfectly poached (a rarity). I recommend the Irish breakfast for something very good and authentic. Bottomless mimosas end at 3PM, not 4PM.Special Features:
- The special was a seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2012The special was a seafood platter and was very well priced. The crab dip was also very good. The beer list is so-so (better than average but nothing to write home about). I wish the music inside was quieter - I had to move my chair to the other side of the table so I could hear my friend. The patio outside looks great and I will happily return when the weather is warmer.Special Features:
- Fish and chips were very tasty!WashingtonianVIPDined on 4/1/2012Fish and chips were very tasty! Typical pub feel to the place.Special Features:
- Horrible food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/1/2012Horrible food and service. Got charged twice on my credit card, took days to remove the erroneous charge.
- Bland.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2012Went here on a Groupon/LivingSocial deal and we were very disappointed by the food. They certainly have nice descriptions, but overall very bland and uninteresting. Vegetables tasted as though they were canned for too long, and meats were simply heated -- not carefully *cooked*. We didn't even bother to take a doggie bag home, which we nearly always do.
- We arrived at 6:30 and despiteLauraUVIPDined on 3/26/2012We arrived at 6:30 and despite the busy, noisy bar we were happy to be put in a quiet back room. Then they seated some kind of party in the same area and with about 12 young people it was impossible to talk. However our waitress was wonderful. The potato/leak soup was delicious and was the Irish stew she recommended. She warned against the pork dish and we ordered it anyway. She was right. It was very dry. The protions were so large we had to take our desert home. We ate the bread pudding a day later and it was moist and perfect (once heated up).
- Staple brunch locationdani42379Dined on 3/10/2012I enjoy this place for a standard brunch, bottomless brunch drinks and great service. I ate here with a large group one Saturday when they had game specials going. Despite not being there for the games, we were treated wonderfully! I will definitely return.Special Features:
- This is a good Irish pub.OaklandDennisVIPDined on 2/19/2012This is a good Irish pub. The food is very good pub food. If that's what you're looking for, you won't be disappointed.
- Better as a happy hour spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/25/2012Staff was friendly. Bar patrons are extremely loud, yelling at the TVs as if they expect an answer back. The noise is horrible if you are going there for dinner and not a screaming match with sports TVs. Food was more like pub fair and not quite authentic Irish. Not bad for pub food, not great if you are looking for authentic. Desserts were delicious. Not a bad place for happy hour, but not quite great for a dinner out in the city.Special Features:
- It's fineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/16/2012We left very satisfied, but this isn't a place I would make special plans to go again.
- We had a LivingSocial couponOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/6/2012We had a LivingSocial coupon for this restaurant, which included a special menu that involved choosing an app, entree, and dessert and a bottle of wine. The wine was definitely not great, but we didn't expect much because it was part of the deal. The bleu cheese on toast with honey was just as amazing as it sounds. The fish and chips were delicious--maybe a bit too breaded--but had a nice beer-battered flavor. The Guinness-infused brownie was different and delicious, and the creme brûlée with bananas was delectable. Overall, it was a great meal. The food came out fast, and the atmosphere was lively.Special Features:
- Only complaint is they needOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/1/2012Only complaint is they need more options for groups of more than 4 during cold weather. Everything else far exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- Went with a Living SocialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2011Went with a Living Social voucher for 2 app, 2 entree, 2 dessert and a bottle of wine. They didn't skimp on portions and had a variety of choices on the special menu.
- Food was good, service wasFlotownVIPDined on 12/27/2011Food was good, service was professional. Obviously an off night because of the holidays.Special Features:
- I made a reservation onlineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2011I made a reservation online for my family who was visiting out of town. Nowhere on the site or my confirmation did it say that the restaurant was going to be the site of a GIANT bar crawl that would take up the majority of the restaurant. Imagine our shock when we arrive and find the place is PACKED with young professionals. Luckily the hostesses caught us on our way out the door and directed us to a section separate from the bar and main part of the restaurant, which was less packed but just as noisy. Our server was very attentive, but the crowd and the noise made the evening less enjoyable. Our living social coupon was honored and the food and drink was delicious, as usual. I wish we had gotten warning so we could make plans accordingly.Special Features:
- Nadia is an amazing serverOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/11/2011Nadia is an amazing server and takes very good care of me every Sunday.Special Features:
- Always love going to JamesWhyanameVIPDined on 12/10/2011Always love going to James Hoban's and this was no exception! I love that they have a fun bar area but also a quiet space for dining. I tried some new things this time since we had a living social deal, but next time I'm going to stick with the French Onion Soup and Chicken Fingers which area always amazing! Also the fish and chips are great and this time I got the Guinness infused brownie-- DELICIOUS! Don't skip dessert!Special Features:
- The happy hour is ok - theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2011The happy hour is ok - the price difference is not much from the regular to the happy hour menu. The service is good but its more of a college bar atmosphere. I definitely recommend the Old Bay Fries though!Special Features:
- The service was incredible.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2011The service was incredible. The a la carte brunch menu is really good. I love that I can get a traditional Irish breakfast (with black and white pudding) and bottomless mimosa.Special Features:
- For an irish pub in DC thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/23/2011For an irish pub in DC this places tries very hard and delivers solid food, courteous but not overbearing service, all with speed. We have been returning quite regularly and these factors are consistent too.Special Features:
- Went here to celebrate a birthdayHeidiDined on 9/16/2011Went here to celebrate a birthday and was somewhat disappointed. To start off with, when we arrived, someone had taken our reservation. What is that? Still, the hostess was very accommodating and seated us immediately. The rest of the service was less impressive. Our waiter was distant and took a long time to bring us our drinks and especially to process our check. The food, however, was excellent! I got roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and my boyfriend got a chicken pot pie and both of our meals were delicious. The ambiance of the restaurant and bar was fun and energetic. I especially enjoyed the vintage posters and walls dedicated to famous Irish writers. Overall, a good experience and I would probably go back.Special Features: