James Beard House
167 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
James Beard House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jamesbeard.org/
- Phone: (212) 675-4984
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: The well-appointed Peter Kump Boardroom is available for most events at the Beard House. The private room on the 4th floor seats no more than 12 guests with options for AV equipment, privately held reception hours, and more. Groups reserving this space will enjoy the same menu as the guests in the dining room with views of our garden and a private server.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations 2126272308
- Public Transit: The James Beard Foundation is located just steps from the 1-2-3 line and also has easy access to B-D-F-V lines and NJ Transit PATH trains.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Chivian Garage has an exclusive partnership with the James Beard Foundation. The garage is located at 101 West 12th Street, at the corner of 6th Avenue, and has a $7 parking fee from 6:30 P.M. with validation from the Beard House maitre’d. For SUVs and cars 181” or longer the fee is $17.
A word from James Beard House
The James Beard House is known as New York’s best-kept gastronomic secret. And everyone is welcome. Located in the former townhouse of celebrated cookbook author & television personality James Beard, the James Beard house is in the heart of New York City’s Greenwich Village. Over 20 dining events are held monthly to showcase culinary artists from around the world, featuring multi-course dinners with wine pairings prepared by guest chefs. At the historic James Beard House, you will have a truly unique dining experience. You’ll begin the evening with wines & a selection of passed hors d’oeuvre in the Greenhouse or, weather permitting, in the outdoor garden. You will then enjoy a five-course, pre-set menu prepared by the day’s featured chef, all paired with wines chosen to enhance the flavor of your meal. You will even have an opportunity to walk through the kitchen, see the chefs in action, & meet the guest chef personally. Prepaid reservations are required for all events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
James Beard House - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
James Beard House reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (33)good for groups (21)special occasion (21)neighborhood gem (10)romantic (8)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- excellent experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/13/2014I happened upon James Beard House while perusing restaurants for my "birthday dinner". Although it is not a traditional restaurant, I highly recommend it to anyone who savors great food and wine. The experience itself is akin to going to the theater. You pay in advance for a reserved seat, and then let the dining experience unfold. Starting with hors douvre and cocktails, and finishing with dessert and coffee, all your epicurean senses will be engaged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cascade os White TruffleSnowVIPDined on 10/24/2014The menu was simply sublime! Service was outstanding as ever.Special Features:
- A true foodie's experienceTweetyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Went for white truffles night at the James Beard Foundation; my first time there. Thought the wine pairing and the themed dinner was of quite good value in an unpretentious environment that attracts foodies. A great fine-dining experience without having to deal with the hassles of making reservations at reputable restaurants. My only complaint was that the area where passed hors d'oeuvres was served was very cramped.Special Features:
- Better than its usual excellencedancingfoodieVIPDined on 10/23/2014With changing chefs, Beard House fare varies from good to outstanding, and this meal was outstanding, and the wine pairings were very good. Wait staff is attentive and helpful. The ambiance is in a lovely town house.Special Features:
- easy entertainingspecialKDined on 10/22/2014great place for business entertaining No delays over choosing items You get all! with matched wines!Special Features:
- Very DisappointedDinerDined on 10/17/2014We were very disappointed with the food. Our table of six all felt the same. The menu was not appealing and the wine matches were only fair. The house itself was interesting and the service was very good. The visiting Chef had a wonderful reputation but didn't prove it that evening. The other restaurants we chose in NYC served a better selection of food and were less expensive. The only real positive I can say is the James Beard Foundation is a worthwhile cause. I wish our meal had lived up to its name and reputation.
- James Beard Foundation dinnerfinefoodieDined on 10/16/2014This is definitely a must for foodies. Fabulous setting, food, wine and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointingSeahawksFanDined on 10/9/2014It was a nice revisit to James Beard House since the Super Bowl, especially being able to use the garden this time. My only critiques are a shortage of the Hors oeuvre as we never got to taste a few of them, and also the wine as they ran out! All in all a fine food experience and met many interesting people as well.Special Features:
- Good EventsBQWolf05Dined on 10/6/2014We went to an event there and it was great. The chef cooking was great.Special Features:
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014This was a special experience, very much recommended.Special Features:
- excellent mealsreidDined on 9/23/2014Dining in james beards house is a unique and special experience. The food was prepared perfectly and the wine pairings complemented the dishes well. All of the staff were friendly and were quick to clear unneeded dishes. Overall my best dining experience in New York CitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dos Caminos for BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2014Chef Ivy Stark prepared a brunch in honor of Mexican Independence Day. The dishes were creative, nicely presented, and full of flavor. A few at my table complained that a couple of dishes were too salty. The almond crusted torrejas with concord grape jelly was a lovely way to end brunch. I'd visit one of Chef Stark's restaurants in the future.Special Features:
- Always a special experiencedancingfoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014I'm a regular at James Beard because the food, wines, service and people you meet there (shared tables) are always interesting. Though Beard is known for excellent food, on this visit it was exceptional, as were a few of the wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sept 8 and 9 dinnerFoodforThoughtDined on 9/8/2014Good choice for great people and all around good company. you don't need to wait for anyone else to become enlightened and live their lives, live yours with this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Berkshire special dinnerrmkjlwDined on 9/5/2014Pure excellence all round. Bravo to Brian Alberg and the whole team!Special Features:
- The following 43 reviews are from the James Beard House reviews archive.
- Always exceptionaldancingfoodieVIPDined on 7/21/2014This meal was really exceptional, delicious. We were lucky it was cool enough to start with champagne and hors d'oeuvres in the garden. Service is always attentive, helpful and excellent. It can be quite noisy, but is worth it.Special Features:
- Bravo Jeff Weiss! Five star dinner.Rick80Dined on 6/27/2014Thanks to Jeff Weiss and Thamin Saleh for a wonderful experience. Food and wine were spectacular. Great to experience Charcuteria: The Soul of Spain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jeff Weiss at James Beard HouseCornellDined on 6/27/2014Jeff Weiss, Chef of Jennini kitchen and wine bar, presented a most outstanding dinner. From the first bit of Artichoke and Peakytoe crab to the last bite of Goats milk flan with fresh berries this event was spectacular and very well executed. Delicious food tastefully paired with interesting wines made this event a huge success for the Beard house as well as Chef Weiss. He definitely put his hat in for James Beard best chef of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- j234VIPDined on 6/20/2014Great meal at the James Beard house! My girlfriend and I received this experience as a gift and had been looking forward to dining here for a while. When Francis Hogan's menu was posted on their events page we knew it was the meal we would enjoy and it did not disappoint! Met some great people, enjoyed great food, and drank great wine. Expensive but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Culinary ExperienceSeanoNYCVIPDined on 6/20/2014I took a friend to the Beard House to celebrate her birthday. It was the first time for both of us and I know we will be back soon. It was an incredible evening. Starting with drinks and starters in the garden, we enjoyed quail wings, a wonderful salmon dish, and a scrapple/egg combination. The only thing more exhilarating than the food was the people we met. We were surrounded by interesting dining partners in the garden and then again at our communal table. After cocktails, we were called inside, walked through the kitchen, and joined our eight fellow diners. The service was impeccable. Each of the four courses was great. And we had the chance to meet the chef after dining. A true culinary experience.Special Features:
- Specialty EventmikeVIPDined on 6/16/2014As Beard House is not actually a restaurant, it can not be judged as such. The food was exceptional. However, the house itself is very uncomfortable, both too warm, too crowded and mediocre service staff. (there were two no shows at our table of 8, but we were still very crowded to accommodate 8, AND when the food was served they served the two no-shows, but not me, who was a show). Go for the food not for the ambiance or service. Lots to improve.Special Features:
- Always exceptionaldancingfoodieVIPDined on 5/28/2014This venue always has innovative, interesting meals, fine service and fascinating people to meet at the communal dining arrangement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/13/2014We have been to many James Beard meals. This was one of the best. The food was delicious and the wine parings perfect. It is fun to sit with other people and get acquainted. My only negative comment is that although the food was served "family style" there were no serving utensils. Normally the food is plated in the kitchen so this has not been an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cincinnati Chef's DinnerjerryVIPDined on 5/10/2014This was a special occasion for us. We attended a dinner featuring 7 Chefs from Cincinnati. It was a great time and a wonderful dinner. The staff did a good job of serving the group. The only issue was a little crowded and not particularly comfortable seating. Only one restroom. The dinner was great however.
- as good as expectedMikeVIPDined on 4/30/2014Dinner at the Beard house is always a bargain when you consider the amount of amazing food, superb quality service and drink pairings. I loved it both time I went there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dining eventMariposa662Dined on 4/28/2014An exceptional dining experience surpassed only by the magnificent entrees by Chef Mary Dumont and exquisite desserts by Executive Pastry Chef Brian Mercury of Harvest restaurant, Cambridge MASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014If you're able to get a reservation - do not hesitate! Best meal that we've ever had! Exceptional service and so interactive to meet the featured chef at the end of the meal.Special Features:
- Great groupgwendolynDined on 4/17/2014This is a really fun dining experience for people interested in food and interested in talking to people about food. Definitely join a table and do not sit alone. The before dinner get-together is a bit cramped and noisy- probably better when they can use the outdoor space. I loved that they did not play music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always specialdancingfoodieVIPDined on 4/7/2014The unbeatable combination of a changing notable chef, fine service and good wine pairings with the excellent food is coupled with a chance to meet a wide range of interesting people at your table. Truly a worthwhile, entertaining evening.Special Features:
- Not disappointed!MikeVIPDined on 4/5/2014The food and service at my meal were outstanding and every part of it flawless. Staff was professional and helpful and the price is a bargain for what you get!Special Features:
- We were at event craving forOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/22/2014We were at event craving for Carolina.the food was exceptional.william dissen went around and answere all the questions and made it a delightful evening. We were disappointed that we were sitting downstairs next to the kitchen while everyone else was in the library upstairs. Not a good feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patrick Mulvaney SacramentoBigJim1Dined on 3/13/2014Patrick Mulvaney's invasion of NY with his food and crew from Sacramento, California, was a night to remember. The food was outstanding, delicious and wholesome. The presentation was eclectic and spot on. The matched wine and beer was innovative yet perfect. It was almost enough to make us want to move to California. We can't wait until Patrick and the team return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is no better place inIBTDVIPDined on 3/12/2014There is no better place in the city for foodies. A different theme and chef(s) each night. Community tables allow you to meet other city foodies; while the chefs mingle and discuss the food and are genuinely happy you're there. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/15/2014I enjoyed my dining experience at the James Beard House. I attended a dinner features Chefs Karangis and Keehner from Union Square Events. The evening started with a reception featuring a series of passed hors d'oeuvres paired with a delicious champagne. Diners then moved into the dining room. I was assigned to a table that included the House photographer, first time diners and returning diners - we had a great time. All the dishes were delicious and the wine pairings complemented the respective dishes. After dessert was served the chefs and their staff entered the dining room and spoke with the diners and answered questions. The staff was accomodating and gracious. I look forward to attending another event at the James Beard House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your table location mattersOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/15/2014My second time dining here in as many months was not as enjoyable as the first. Overall, the experience is unique and at the end of the day a good value, but the cocktail hour is hopelessly and uncomfortably crowded, held in a greenhouse that is in serious need of a renovation. It's not exactly a relaxing start to the evening. Previously I ate upstairs in at a table for six with four strangers and had a wonderful experience with food and wine being described as it was served. This time I was at a table for 12 downstairs in the same ugly greenhouse. It took 10+ minutes to actually set up the table after cocktail hour, so we awkwardly stood in the corner waiting. We were cramped and just felt like the annex diners we were.Special Features:
- Always exceptionaldancingfoodieVIPDined on 2/12/2014James Beard is always an exceptional experience -- top chefs and meeting the people at your table, who are always interesting. Staff always go out of their way to be helpful.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable but it canupperwestsiderVIPDined on 2/5/2014Very enjoyable but it can be hit or miss depending on the chef for the evening. That said, the space is small and packed particularly in the reception area. The night we went there were a number of food bloggers and culinary students. The wine pairings were excellent the food just ok. It's wonderful to have an opportunity to speak with the chef as well as the owners of the winery. Would we go again - maybe - depending on the chef presenting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeahaksFanSeahawksFanDined on 1/31/2014This was by far the best meal I have ever had in my life, bar none. I was sitting beside the events photographer and he told me he does 10 or 11 of these dinners a month and this was the best he has ever tasted. I plan on visiting the Strand when I travel to Manhattan Beach this spring, simply excellent!
- Superb, really enjoyed thebobgVIPDined on 1/28/2014Superb, really enjoyed the food and met a lot of nice people. The featured restaurant from Long Island outdid themselves as. Their performance as a group was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!!!! ForgourmetwinoVIPDined on 1/23/2014What an experience!!!! For one price, you get a reception with passed apps. Dinner with wines paired by the Chef plus dining in the famous James Beard House. We were there because Chef Ben Simpkins is a friend of ours but will definitely come back next time we are in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.