60 North Venice Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jamesbeach.com/
- Phone: 3108235396x
- Hours of Operation:
MONDAY - TUESDAY
6:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
WEDNESDAY - FRIDAY
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
SATURDAY - SUNDAY
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
-Bar Open Everyday 'Til 1:30 a.m.-
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Shari Lynne Robins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Throw your party at James' Beach in Venice! James' Beach was designed with parties in mind so we offer flexible options.
Call today for an unforgettable party! - 310.823.5396
- Private Party Contact: Quiller McCurry (310) 823-5396x
- Special Events: For special event details go to www.jamesbeach.com
A word from James' Beach
James' Beach is an intimate local dining spot that features a modern take on American comfort food. We feature an award winning wine list and the hottest patio night scene by the beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
James' Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (21)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (17)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (15)romantic (14)special occasion (12)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nice Place to visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014My waiter Malaki was great. He was patient, kind and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & A lot of FunSpankyVIPDined on 10/6/2014The last time we went to James Beach we were disappointed, but it must have just been an off night. The food was very good, and the staff energized and helpful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful DiningMsYummy1Dined on 10/6/2014My friend and I had a delightful time at James' Beach. The stuffed squash blossoms were a revelation to my friend who'd never tasted these gems before. The sand dabs were delicious and plentiful. The wine was half-price! Our waiter Chris was helpful and charming. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!Special Features:
- Dependable, Delish ...E9N20Dined on 9/20/2014Great brunch on a Saturday ! Great service, pet friendly and good drinks. This is a Venice mainstay. I look forward to my next visit. It is truly wonderful to know that a good time will be had.Special Features:
- Fun spotHappycamperDined on 9/18/2014Really good time with friends. Food was delicious, desserts were amazing, drinks were great. Happy 18th anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedVeniceVIPDined on 9/18/2014Very disappointed. The service was not good. We chose to sit outside, but then it got windy. I asked if someone could close the awning on top and they said yes, but then didn't come back to do it. Finally, they did, but only closed it 1/2 way. Inside the air conditioning was on and it was cold in there also, so we decided to stay outside. After asking again, they mentioned there was a heat lamp and they also closed the awning fully. The tomato soup tasted like it was out of a can. They replaced it with a salad and I couldn't tell what type of "greens" they were using, but it didn't taste good. It's a great location with a wonderful outdoor sitting area, but they really need to improve their food and service. Just my opinion.
- We will return.NancyMDined on 9/17/2014Seated on time in a soothing atmosphere. Our server, Nathan, was attentive. Our experience began with a fresh and generous complimentary crudite plate with a dipping sauce. Then a Caprese salad to share-it's ample. The tomatoes were tasty heirlooms; the mozzarella very creamy. We both had the flat iron steak, each cooked perfectly to order. The french fries delicately crisp. My martini came with a sidecar, yay! The sauces missed the mark. Crudite sauce was bland; Cabernet reduction was heavy on the celery, and the Bearnaise missed the tarragon. We brought our own wine for a reasonable corkage of $15. There are plenty of outlets and USB ports at the bar if you need to charge your phone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014James Beach is a favorite of ours. Great people, great food. We love the Weds Steak & Martinis night and the Thurs Fried Chicken night. James, the owner, is aces. Daniel, too. Fancy enough to feel special, causal enough to feel comfortable, you can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014Loved the outdoor patio. Great drink list. Did not like the Mahi Mahi fish tacos, which is apparently what they are known for. The fish was very dry. The truffle fries and chocolate cake with ice cream were both delicious. Drinks were really good too!Special Features:
- Great food/serviceMunchieMadnessDined on 9/8/2014We went their with some of our friends from out of the country we hadn't seen in nearly 4 years. As two of our group were native Spanish-speakers, we were chatting in Spanish and immediately hit it off with our Argentine waiter. He was funny, charming, and knowledgeable about the menu. The food was mostly delicious (fish in their famous fish taco was a bit dry). The Spinach & Artichoke dip was phenomenal, as were my shrimp tacos. After we'd paid our bill, the waiter offered us complimentary glasses of champagne to round off a great dining experience. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Always wonderful!NinaveeDined on 9/3/2014We were in the mood for classic American comfort food, and it was delicious. Perfect service, delicious wine, and an ice cream sundae for dessert. It was a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just averageSeaski42Dined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed our meal but it was nothing to get excited about. Fish tacos were not very flavorful but the duck tacos were better. Tuna stack appetizer was very good. Service was adequate.
- LUNCH IN VENICELUV2EATOUTDined on 8/23/2014Lunch was a very pleasant experience . Their fish tacos are as described , probably the best I've had . Very pretty place with partially open air .Service was perfect with no effort made to rush you along . Valet parking ( actually garage parking a few doors down with validation ) is a godsend considering what beach parking is like . will return .Special Features:
- Always wonderful1jamesregularDined on 8/22/2014James has been our neighborhood "go to" spot since they opened. We have seen it change with the seasons and the neighborhood. The menu is always relevant and reflects the type of food that appeals. The fish tacos are the best in town and the fried chicken on Thursday night is a favorite as are the chocolate chip cookies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great placeKevinTXDined on 8/16/2014There are few places like this and they can get very busy for use OpenTable. Unbelievable food with an incredible view (great people watching on the Santa Monica pier). The lobster is huge and fresh, the fish is wonderfully prepared, not over- or under-spiced. The steak was juicy and flavorful. The only reason this is not excellent is based on the price... be prepared to say "wow" to the food and "wow" when you get the bill. For special occasions, this cannot be beat. Go early to sit outside at the bar and people watch, then eat around sunset... perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Venice by the beachSnickersownerDined on 8/16/2014James Beach has the right amount of everything to make for an extremely enjoyable dining experience. Beautiful shorefront location and atmosphere, awesome food, and attentive service. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Amazing Dinner on Vacation!Foodie86VIPDined on 8/9/2014We ate at Jame's beach and had a great experience. The outdoor seating area was very nice. All of the food was delicious, the tacos were some of the best I every had. Simple ingredients and you assemble them yourself. The warm chocolate chip cookies were a moist, soft, and right our of the oven! You get 7 cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish tacos 👍👍👍WinefixDined on 8/1/2014The food is great, especially the mahi magi tacos. Good wine. The staff is really friendly. We went on a busy night so we had to wait longer for food and drinks but they were very apologetic and made us aware of the delay, so no biggie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fish Tacos!cwallDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I were on vacation and visited James' Beach because we heard from our favorite movie "I Love You, Man" that they had the best fish tacos. They were great! What was even better, we went on a Tuesday and it was Taco Tuesday! Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?AvgPeteDined on 7/20/2014Fish tacos were some of the best in town easily. Last order an OK size of fish was on there. This is now an OK place for Fish tacos. Apparently someone feels saving money is worth at least this person not going there for fish tacos anymore.
- Manager needs to goJyr93Dined on 7/19/2014Had a great meal however the manager asked us to get up before our bill was paid. Then I was pushed by him multiple times while trying to pay. Other than that everything was great. Hostess Cheyenne was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- James' Beach Rocks!MangiaMadnessDined on 7/19/2014I need to give a very special shout out to Lindsey, our hostess who took exceptional care of me while my dinner date was running late and then upgraded our table as soon as a booth became available. She went above and beyond her duties and definitely made the night AMAZING! The food - spectacular! Had the duck confit tacos and can't wait to go back for more! Portions are generous and presentation was mouth watering.Special Features:
- AdventureGondolier53Dined on 7/18/2014Love to combine James' Beach with annual "in town" visit to Venice...where I grew up...walk the boardwalk, visit art galleries, show off the canals...it never fails to make it a grand day.Special Features:
- Good food, terrible bar staffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/14/2014Watch out for the blond, mid-40s woman tending bar. She spilled a beer on my lap before my dinner and almost insinuated that it was "my" accident. Really too flippant about it which turned me off and hardly offered to help, instead deferring to bar backs for help. If management is reading; you have a real dud on your hands. The manager came by at dinner to apologize and offered to pay the cleaning bill etc. but never followed up the rest of the night pro-actively. It put me in the awkward position of having to hunt him down on my way out which I wasn't prepared to do for the sake of my dinner companion.
- MehPatrickFitzgeraldDined on 7/12/2014I know it is popular and a fun place to go, but the meals were just overage, nothing too special. I remember it being a bit stronger a few years back. Pretty sure I will not rush back any time soon
- vacation at the beachmavenVIPDined on 7/6/2014Feel like I am on a vacation everytime I eat here. Food is straight-forward, really good. Never had a bad meal here. It is happening without being overly loud, and you can enjoy a good conversation as well as good food.Special Features:
- NOT A GREAT DINNERAUSSIEVISITORDined on 7/5/2014You're asking for a review and I'm disappointed to say we didn't have a great dinner or experience at James Beach. The wine was served warm, the waitress upsold on food. After we clearly asked about the size of the servings we ended up with way too much food, paid way too much for what was a casual dinner at a nice restaurant. The wait staff changed over often, no consistency to staff.
- Sad to see what time has doneVeniceDined on 7/3/2014Used to eat here all the time, can't believe how bad the service was. Saw 3 tables leave and almost did the same. Food was good once it finally arrived despite wrong food and a few missing items.Special Features:
- BECCAADined on 6/29/2014This is about are 5th time there so I am familiar with the menu which is always good the only flaw and I mean flaw is the service.......the food takes so very long to come out and they are not complicated dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch!LuvzconesDined on 6/29/2014James Beach is great but brunch is especially good! They also serve the most wonderful scones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNatbellDined on 6/21/2014It had been many years since we went to James Beach. Unfortunately, we brought some friends who never been and the food was such a disappointment. We had to bring back the fish twice for being overcooked and they still couldn't seem to get it right. Some of the food was definitely over salted, just simple mistakes. Maybe the bar for a drink isn't so bad...
- The following 323 reviews are from the James' Beach reviews archive.
- Very DisappointingRicheleDined on 6/15/2014The only dish that didn't disappoint us was our daughter's lox and bagel plate and even with that, the bagel was small and wasn't really toasted very much. With my Eggs Benedict, I asked for the whites to be cooked but the yolks runny and our server said that the chef in the back was "really good with that technique". Yolks were cooked all the way through, the hollandaise sauce was off-tasting and the English muffin was almost too hard to cut with a table knife, it was barely warm. My husband's omelet contained all of the listed ingredients, but was totally bland. Our other daughter's french toast was not cooked all the way through; always a danger with a dish using raw eggs. All in all a very disappointing meal. We won't be back.
- GREAT PLACE FOR LUNCHvacayDined on 6/13/2014WE ALL LOVED THIS PLACE, IS VERY RELAX AND LOVED THE DECORATION. THE FOOD WAS GOOD ESPECIALLY THE FISH TACOS!!Special Features:
- Still greatFooddudeVIPDined on 6/3/2014Hadn't been there in a while. Especially nice for out of town guests.Special Features:
- Staff makes you feel at home...FoodieGirrrrrlVIPDined on 5/26/2014Took our friend's parents here for dinner recently, and they're older so we wanted to make sure they'd be comfortable. Also along for the ride, was their 6-year-old grand-daughter, who quickly made friends with another girl at a nearby table. While we enjoyed our cocktails and dinner, (the special was a delicious, free-range fried chicken which many of us succumbed to) the girls played and enjoyed themselves. Our meals were delicious, and we were amazed that the wait staff were so accommodating of our evening out with a young diner. We really appreciated the warmth and understanding of the staff, especially in allowing for such a playful dinner. Many thanks for that!!! You are a favorite of ours <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014We had a reservation for 7pm but arrived at about 6:30 and the restaurant was empty. They seated us in the back of the restaurant at a crappy table and I should have insisted on being moved. But we sat where they seated us and then we were completely neglected by the staff -- had to ask four times to get the candle on our table lit, they got the orders wrong and it was overall a very un-festive feeling. Will not be going back which is unfortunate because I would frequent this place a lot. It has gone down hill for sure.
- Good food good priceHappy2dineDined on 5/18/2014James beach dining room is an eclectic elegant eatery. We had a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for my birthday dinnerjen1987Dined on 5/17/2014Every time I visit Venice I always see the outside and am intrigued. Finally came for my birthday dinner and loved it! Not too priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!afsterDined on 5/17/2014James Beach has been a favorite of ours since moving to Venice several years ago. We especially love the garden/outdoor area, and the sand dabs! Saturday night is way too noisy and crowded (service not as good) for us boomers . . . but any other time, it's a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- homecookDined on 5/13/2014we have been going to James Beach since it opened and it is one of our favorite spots. The food is always good, the art superb and the welcome makes you feel like home. Location just off the beach makes it perfect for a stroll. a look at more art across the street and then sink into one of their booths. Perfect.Special Features: