James at the Mill Restaurant
3906 Johnson Mill Blvd
Springdale, AR 72762Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
James at the Mill Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jamesatthemill.com/
- Phone: (479) 443-1400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pmClosed on major holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Miles James
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from James at the Mill Restaurant
James at the Mill offers an exciting mix of traditional and contemporary American flavors. Chef Miles James' groundbreaking restaurant offers Ozark Plateau Cuisine that shares the haute couture of Guy Savoy's French bistro cooking, as well as drawing from the Manhattan energy and style of David Burke, tailored to the rhythm of Northwest Arkansas. The restaurant constitutes a seminal work of the renowned architect, James Lambeth, with all of the award-winning flair and style of influences from Rome, Paris, London, and Miami -- striking contemporary design, with tall ceilings, flowing waters, and calming views. Join us at the bar or table, and experience an evening to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
James at the Mill Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Johnson ›
James at the Mill Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)fit for foodies (36)notable wine list (31)romantic (30)scenic view (22)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (9)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Service beyond expectationTulsaHogFanDined on 11/22/2014We went to James at the Mill for my birthday on an understandably busy night (following a Razorback game (and victory!). We were lucky to get reservations at 8:30p, day of. When we arrived, we were seated nearest the entry. We asked for a more centrally located table, but understood when, after the hostess worked hard to find another table, it was explained that the restaurant was full and the other tables had been specifically reserved. We were surprised when the restaurant manager stopped by and explained that he was watching a couple of other tables and would be happy to move us when one came open. Shortly into our first bottle of wine, a table on the rail in a great location opened and the manager and our waitress cheerfully gathered us up and moved us to the new table. Having said that, we had discovered that the table we had been at was and would have been just fine. Nonetheless, the new table was even better. We had the 5 course tastings menu. The food was varied, original, and terrific. The wine pairings were excellent and the pours (when can often be scant on wine pairings) were generous. In all, the food was, as you would expect at a restaurant of this caliber, outstanding. But the little extra effort, taken by the hostess, restaurant manager, and our waitress to ensure that we had a nice table, even when we'd reserved at the last minute, was the icing on the cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise Pre-fixe Menu, Poor CommunicationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014I made dinner reservations for my father and I. He was coming from out of town and as we are both foodies, we wanted to have a nice meal at James at the Mill. We got there and were puzzled as we were looking over the menu. It was the regular menu that I had seen online, but without prices beside the items. Instead, there it was a pre-fixe menu. Nobody had told me when I confirmed my reservations that this was how they were serving dinner that night. Nor did it mention it anywhere on their website! After asking the waitress and the manager about this, we found out that they were supposed to call everyone who had reservations and inform them. That definitely did not happen with us. Additionally, we weren't hungry enough for a three course meal, and we both knew what we wanted before we got there. Thankfully, guests were allowed to order a la carte, but the prices were fixed per course (all apps were a certain price, all entrees a certain price, etc) and we ended up paying much more than what we originally would have paid. The waitress told us that they were expecting a lot of people to come in shortly so the chef had asked we order appetizer, entree, and dessert all at once. This was amusing as nobody showed up and James at the Mill remained, for the most part, very empty that night. I assume that while confirming reservations and informing (some of) the guests of the pre-fixe menu that night, they decided not to come. We certainly would not have come if we were properly informed. Although the food was outstanding, and I do mean utterly outstanding, it was very overpriced, even much more-so than their original menu prices. We probably will not be back for a while. The food tasted great, and I applaud the chef - but the lack of communication burned us and left a bad taste in our mouths.Special Features:
- Food had no flavor and poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014Our food was just flavorless and not very hot. We had to constantly as for things we needed. And our waiter seemed put out. It took 3 hours before we were finished. It was very expensive. And we included cash and a credit card in the bill and the waiter assumed the cash was his, even though gratuity was included in the bill. Then I had to correct him and my credit card was charged twice! Due to it being closing time, I waited until the next day to call and voice my concerns. When I asked Jimmy, the manager, to refund some of our money he said he could not do that. It was a security issue. What?? I've never heard of that and after speaking with a friend, who is a restaurant owner, he said he had never. Overall this was an expensive disappoint.
- Always soildTboneDined on 11/1/2014James at the Mill is always a solid choice. It is on the high end of pricing in NWA but the food and service is fantastically fitting. I started to check romantic at the top and some might find it that way, it's just that some of the table set up being in close proximity to another table and the lack of ability to sit directly next to your significant other gets minus points for me on the Romantic-meter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not disappointedBikerdougVIPDined on 11/1/2014Another great trip with equally outstanding preparations, presentations and service. The Tasting Menu is an wonderful choice..., if you are hungry. It's a lot of food! JatM is a wonderful find to which we continue to return. They have a pleasingly varied menu of local items and special cuisines. It's not your run of the mill (no pun intended) finer dining establishment. It seems they try to represent the finer side of life in the context of the Ozarks and a relaxed culture. And..., they succeed. The service is attentive, helpful, unhurried and seemingly sincerely interested in your enjoyment. Bravo y brava!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ozark Plateau CuisineshrinkDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful!!!!! The house made sausage corn dog was billed as an appetizer but it is much more substantial. The wine list was substantial. Our server was fun, friendly and knowledgable about the menu and wine pairings. We will definitely be back for more.Special Features:
- NeoshoproudDined on 10/27/2014We had a wonderful meal and our server, Lynn was gracious, honest, and attentive. The food was excellent, we each had a different entrée and shared a bite with each other and I must say that the hardest decision to make is what to order, because it is all excellent. We finished with dessert consisting of the warm chocolate cake with the molten center and the crème brulee and once again we sampled both and both were divine. We had the French press coffee and a bit of Amaretto with the desert and nothing disappointed. I would highly recommend James at the Mill as a true dining experience that you will never forget and we look forward to going back and trying the tasting menu the next time. What a wonderful 44th anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointBeeMackDined on 10/24/2014Came highly recommended... Excellent service... Seated immediately... Jill our server was excellent... Food was well presented, cooked to perfection, great favors... We will be back!!!! Thank you for a great evening!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/23/2014I've been there many times for business dinners but this time around the menu was less than stellar and everyone was just going thru the motions...Nothing special. It's a shame to see it slip like that.Special Features:
- World Class DiningDougnJacquiDined on 10/17/2014Our dinner was a singular experience. Excellent service, delightful ambiance and, the food! This was a world class experience. It compares with any of the fine restaurants we have visited world wide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to a FavoriteDmanDined on 10/13/2014We have enjoyed this restaurant for years, though we had not been in awhile. We arrived early and enjoyed the show in the kitchen beyond the bar with a wee dram of our favorite single malt before dinner. I suggest that this should be a part of the experience at James at the Mill as it makes for a nice preview of your dinner. We had the chef's tasting with wine pairings. It was very good and gave us a generous amount of food plus the variety of different tastes and the wine was very nice. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An SEC ChampionRazorbackFoodiesDined on 10/11/2014Although our Hogs continue to struggle, James at the Mill continues to provide outstanding meals and impeccable service. Even late night dining after a Razorback football game, the staff is friendly, helpful, and patient. The food is always at championship level. James at the Mill has it all, and it will always be at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality and unique foodJattheMillROCKSDined on 10/9/2014Great place to go for a special occasion. Huge wine selection but limited menu. Everything was delicious but expect your bill to be on the pricy side. The view is beautiful and the service is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something DifferentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014My husband and I ate at James at the Mill for his birthday. We had a wonderful time. Our servers were great! They were both so helpful and personable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedLadyandthevegetarianDined on 9/13/2014We had asked if it were possible to get a vegetarian tasting menu. When they said it was possible I feared that the vegetarian aspect would involve just omitting the protein as I have seen many a chef do before. I was ecstatic when instead, my husband was offered completely different items than I had, that were every bit as creative and tasty as my meatier versions were.Special Features:
- Great experienceGood73diningDined on 9/13/2014The service was quick, the food was tasty and atmosphere were all above my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extremely pleasedluv2dineDined on 9/13/2014I brought my wife here for our 13th anniversary, and I must say we were both pleased! Our server, Charlie, was very pleasant and she was very helpful. The presentation of the food was awesome and definitely picture worthy! The food itself was amazing! I Had The Rib Eye and My Wife had The Tester and both were exceptional! Can't wait to go back and try something else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dinnerCA1022Dined on 9/11/2014Dinner here with friends was a special one -- spouse's birthday. Food outstanding, wait staff outstanding, everything was wonderful. will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantHiddenGemDined on 9/9/2014James at the Mill is a great restaurant that I feel is a hidden gem. I'm surprised it isn't more crowded than it is, which I believe comes from simply its location. But those in the area should give this restaurant a try. It's effectively the an old, early 19th century mill turned into a beautiful atrium and bar/restaurant. I'd also recommend parking by the Inn at the Mill (i.e., down the hill), where patrons can enjoy the manicured landscape and stonescape that includes a babbling brook as well as rustic looking water troughs that are ferrying running water down to the original mill wheel. They have a full bar, a great wine selection, and the food is top notch. For Fayetteville area fine dining, it's certainly worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare Park Avenue Plates in OzarksBrutusDined on 8/29/2014Having moved to NW Arkansas from the coast we've been aggressively searching, but usually without success, for restaurants that approach the benchmark set by some of the best eateries in the world... I guess you could say we are spoiled. Almost never can we find someplace with the broad selection of meat and seafood cuts that we grew up enjoying, and when we did locate an establishment with a nice menu, the quality and presentation have been disappointing. The duck was a little fatty, as duck is, but very flavorful. The rib eye was superb and nearly melt in your mouth. The goat cheese salad was a big hit, and the desserts tasty and well presented. We were early evening diners and the service very timely and attentive. We will be regulars.Special Features:
- Super experienceHungryTravelerDined on 8/26/2014Not only was the food incredible, but the waiter was friendly and so were the people dining on either side of me. Everyone seemed happy to be there. I recommend the pea soup, andouille sausage corn dog and the pork loin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatavgguyDined on 8/25/2014Wonderful dining experience. Food was superb, the staff attentive, great views, and the atmosphere you would expect for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentkdlosVIPDined on 8/18/2014Have been to James at the Mill often and have never been disappointed. The food varies with the seasons and new dishes are always being introduced. Service is attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very long wait for foodBelleVIPDined on 8/15/2014We arrived for a later dinner and waited a very long time before being served appetizer and entrée. Glasses often empty, etc. However, the food was very good. We really like the ambience and food but wish the service was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014We had went to the restaurant to celebrate my husbands birthday with a group of 8. This was the first time any of us had eaten or even been there. The food was excellent. The service was good but that evening it was a little slow. I guess they were busy so it took a while for us to get our food. Even with this we would all for sure come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceSWTravelerVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is my 5th visit to James at the Mill. We sat for about 20 minutes before a waiter appeared. From there on, it was spotty attention. We noticed the tables that were drinking heavily were getting all of the attention from the waiter. My steak was great but my wife's halibut was overcooked. Overall I was disappointed with the service and the food was good but not spectacular.Special Features:
- Expensive DinnerCheersDined on 8/9/2014Wonderful tasting food, great service and nice atmosphere. It's just too expensive to do on a regular basis. Food isn't that expensive to purchase and it shouldn't be this expensive to prepare and serve. They have a well deserved reputation, so be prepared to pay for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising cuisineksdinerDined on 8/8/2014We had heard about this restaurant from friends and found it even better than we expected. My husband ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. I had a taste of each of his courses in addition to my order of a chicken breast that was beautifully presented and delicious. This is a wonderful destination dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantpplepouDined on 8/7/2014I was very surprise how excellent the quality was. The Whole thing, taste and decorated plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- James at the Mill, a slow goFayettevilleDined on 8/2/2014Our experience was terrible. Although the restaurant was not even full, we waited for 45 minutes before they took our first drink order and waited 2.5 hours for our dinner. In the end, our checks were incorrect & overall service was horrible. We will not be going back.
- Excellent "date night" locationDickeysaDined on 8/2/2014The food is outstanding and presented in a beautiful artistic fashion. High quality ingredients, that are expertly prepared makes for a very memorable dining experience. Highly recommend for a romantic or special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- The following 138 reviews are from the James at the Mill Restaurant reviews archive.
- Good food, good times.Nightout1Dined on 7/26/2014Dining with a group of six, everyone found many options they were interested in on the menu. Wheelchair bound party was comfortable and found everything accommodating. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommended!ReddielandDined on 7/25/2014The food is second to none, characterized by freshness, presentation, and taste. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The James at the MillMikeDined on 7/17/2014Presentation of all dishes were extremely creative. The flavors are spectacular. Meal choices are difficult to decide but having eatin here multiple times a reason to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentVikaDined on 7/11/2014You husband and I are always looking forward to dine at James at the MillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!drakefamDined on 7/2/2014Everything was wonderful. The service was attentive, stylish decor, food was great. The desserts were the real star of the meal.Special Features:
- OdellDined on 6/28/2014Small menu, pricey. grounds attractive but inside ordinary, staff person dusting pictures during the dinner hour, not appropriate.
- A real knockout.BeacheatsVIPDined on 6/27/2014We were on a cross country road trip and a friend recommended this restaurant when he heard we were going to the Crystal Bridges Museum in nearby Bentonville. We stayed in the companion hotel and this meal was the highlight of our cross country trip. The presentation was so beautiful I took a picture of my entree before eating it. The salads and entrees were inventive and tasty combinations of fresh seasonal ingredients. We both savored every bite. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and fooddavisarkDined on 6/27/2014The menu is varied and reasonable with many appetizers and a broad array of entrees. The creme brulee is wonderful. Some reasonably priced wines. Draft beer.Special Features:
- Great experienceRebeccaDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary. Honestly, we've never been able to go somewhere as nice for several reasons. Our first experience for having such a nice date night was excellence. The service was great, the food was fresh and the steaks melted in out mouths. We had a great experience and will definitely keep this place in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.