James at the Mill Restaurant
3906 Johnson Mill Blvd
Springdale, AR 72762Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
James at the Mill Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jamesatthemill.com/
- Phone: 4794431400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pmClosed on major holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Miles James
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from James at the Mill Restaurant
James at the Mill offers an exciting mix of traditional and contemporary American flavors. Chef Miles James' groundbreaking restaurant offers Ozark Plateau Cuisine that shares the haute couture of Guy Savoy's French bistro cooking, as well as drawing from the Manhattan energy and style of David Burke, tailored to the rhythm of Northwest Arkansas. The restaurant constitutes a seminal work of the renowned architect, James Lambeth, with all of the award-winning flair and style of influences from Rome, Paris, London, and Miami -- striking contemporary design, with tall ceilings, flowing waters, and calming views. Join us at the bar or table, and experience an evening to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
James at the Mill Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Johnson ›
James at the Mill Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)fit for foodies (28)notable wine list (28)romantic (28)scenic view (19)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- World Class DiningDougnJacquiDined on 10/17/2014Our dinner was a singular experience. Excellent service, delightful ambiance and, the food! This was a world class experience. It compares with any of the fine restaurants we have visited world wide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to a FavoriteDmanDined on 10/13/2014We have enjoyed this restaurant for years, though we had not been in awhile. We arrived early and enjoyed the show in the kitchen beyond the bar with a wee dram of our favorite single malt before dinner. I suggest that this should be a part of the experience at James at the Mill as it makes for a nice preview of your dinner. We had the chef's tasting with wine pairings. It was very good and gave us a generous amount of food plus the variety of different tastes and the wine was very nice. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An SEC ChampionRazorbackFoodiesDined on 10/11/2014Although our Hogs continue to struggle, James at the Mill continues to provide outstanding meals and impeccable service. Even late night dining after a Razorback football game, the staff is friendly, helpful, and patient. The food is always at championship level. James at the Mill has it all, and it will always be at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality and unique foodJattheMillROCKSDined on 10/9/2014Great place to go for a special occasion. Huge wine selection but limited menu. Everything was delicious but expect your bill to be on the pricy side. The view is beautiful and the service is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something DifferentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014My husband and I ate at James at the Mill for his birthday. We had a wonderful time. Our servers were great! They were both so helpful and personable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedLadyandthevegetarianDined on 9/13/2014We had asked if it were possible to get a vegetarian tasting menu. When they said it was possible I feared that the vegetarian aspect would involve just omitting the protein as I have seen many a chef do before. I was ecstatic when instead, my husband was offered completely different items than I had, that were every bit as creative and tasty as my meatier versions were.Special Features:
- Great experienceGood73diningDined on 9/13/2014The service was quick, the food was tasty and atmosphere were all above my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extremely pleasedluv2dineDined on 9/13/2014I brought my wife here for our 13th anniversary, and I must say we were both pleased! Our server, Charlie, was very pleasant and she was very helpful. The presentation of the food was awesome and definitely picture worthy! The food itself was amazing! I Had The Rib Eye and My Wife had The Tester and both were exceptional! Can't wait to go back and try something else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dinnerCA1022Dined on 9/11/2014Dinner here with friends was a special one -- spouse's birthday. Food outstanding, wait staff outstanding, everything was wonderful. will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantHiddenGemDined on 9/9/2014James at the Mill is a great restaurant that I feel is a hidden gem. I'm surprised it isn't more crowded than it is, which I believe comes from simply its location. But those in the area should give this restaurant a try. It's effectively the an old, early 19th century mill turned into a beautiful atrium and bar/restaurant. I'd also recommend parking by the Inn at the Mill (i.e., down the hill), where patrons can enjoy the manicured landscape and stonescape that includes a babbling brook as well as rustic looking water troughs that are ferrying running water down to the original mill wheel. They have a full bar, a great wine selection, and the food is top notch. For Fayetteville area fine dining, it's certainly worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare Park Avenue Plates in OzarksBrutusDined on 8/29/2014Having moved to NW Arkansas from the coast we've been aggressively searching, but usually without success, for restaurants that approach the benchmark set by some of the best eateries in the world... I guess you could say we are spoiled. Almost never can we find someplace with the broad selection of meat and seafood cuts that we grew up enjoying, and when we did locate an establishment with a nice menu, the quality and presentation have been disappointing. The duck was a little fatty, as duck is, but very flavorful. The rib eye was superb and nearly melt in your mouth. The goat cheese salad was a big hit, and the desserts tasty and well presented. We were early evening diners and the service very timely and attentive. We will be regulars.Special Features:
- Super experienceHungryTravelerDined on 8/26/2014Not only was the food incredible, but the waiter was friendly and so were the people dining on either side of me. Everyone seemed happy to be there. I recommend the pea soup, andouille sausage corn dog and the pork loin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatavgguyDined on 8/25/2014Wonderful dining experience. Food was superb, the staff attentive, great views, and the atmosphere you would expect for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentkdlosVIPDined on 8/18/2014Have been to James at the Mill often and have never been disappointed. The food varies with the seasons and new dishes are always being introduced. Service is attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very long wait for foodBelleVIPDined on 8/15/2014We arrived for a later dinner and waited a very long time before being served appetizer and entrée. Glasses often empty, etc. However, the food was very good. We really like the ambience and food but wish the service was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014We had went to the restaurant to celebrate my husbands birthday with a group of 8. This was the first time any of us had eaten or even been there. The food was excellent. The service was good but that evening it was a little slow. I guess they were busy so it took a while for us to get our food. Even with this we would all for sure come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceSWTravelerVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is my 5th visit to James at the Mill. We sat for about 20 minutes before a waiter appeared. From there on, it was spotty attention. We noticed the tables that were drinking heavily were getting all of the attention from the waiter. My steak was great but my wife's halibut was overcooked. Overall I was disappointed with the service and the food was good but not spectacular.Special Features:
- Expensive DinnerCheersDined on 8/9/2014Wonderful tasting food, great service and nice atmosphere. It's just too expensive to do on a regular basis. Food isn't that expensive to purchase and it shouldn't be this expensive to prepare and serve. They have a well deserved reputation, so be prepared to pay for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising cuisineksdinerDined on 8/8/2014We had heard about this restaurant from friends and found it even better than we expected. My husband ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. I had a taste of each of his courses in addition to my order of a chicken breast that was beautifully presented and delicious. This is a wonderful destination dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantpplepouDined on 8/7/2014I was very surprise how excellent the quality was. The Whole thing, taste and decorated plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- James at the Mill, a slow goFayettevilleDined on 8/2/2014Our experience was terrible. Although the restaurant was not even full, we waited for 45 minutes before they took our first drink order and waited 2.5 hours for our dinner. In the end, our checks were incorrect & overall service was horrible. We will not be going back.
- Excellent "date night" locationDickeysaDined on 8/2/2014The food is outstanding and presented in a beautiful artistic fashion. High quality ingredients, that are expertly prepared makes for a very memorable dining experience. Highly recommend for a romantic or special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- Good food, good times.Nightout1Dined on 7/26/2014Dining with a group of six, everyone found many options they were interested in on the menu. Wheelchair bound party was comfortable and found everything accommodating. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommended!ReddielandDined on 7/25/2014The food is second to none, characterized by freshness, presentation, and taste. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The James at the MillMikeDined on 7/17/2014Presentation of all dishes were extremely creative. The flavors are spectacular. Meal choices are difficult to decide but having eatin here multiple times a reason to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentVikaDined on 7/11/2014You husband and I are always looking forward to dine at James at the MillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!drakefamDined on 7/2/2014Everything was wonderful. The service was attentive, stylish decor, food was great. The desserts were the real star of the meal.Special Features:
- OdellDined on 6/28/2014Small menu, pricey. grounds attractive but inside ordinary, staff person dusting pictures during the dinner hour, not appropriate.
- Great service and fooddavisarkDined on 6/27/2014The menu is varied and reasonable with many appetizers and a broad array of entrees. The creme brulee is wonderful. Some reasonably priced wines. Draft beer.Special Features:
- Great experienceRebeccaDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary. Honestly, we've never been able to go somewhere as nice for several reasons. Our first experience for having such a nice date night was excellence. The service was great, the food was fresh and the steaks melted in out mouths. We had a great experience and will definitely keep this place in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 129 reviews are from the James at the Mill Restaurant reviews archive.
- Inspiringly Impressed!!InspiredDined on 6/21/2014The food and atmosphere was notably Parisian. The food was very flavorful and served hot. Service unbelievable! I would give this restaurant a 10++++!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JacksonDined on 6/7/2014The finest service, ambience and locally sourced restaurant in NW Arkansas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to come backMaggieVIPDined on 5/30/2014This was our first visit to the James, we were a party of five celebrating a birthday. Loved the decor, very trendy! The food and service were incredible. I had the tasting menu with the wine pairing which I highly recommend. The rest of the party ordered a variety of things from seafood, pasta and beef. Everything was cooked to perfection. We loved all the items in the bread basket, especially the biscuits. The desserts did not disappoint. The coffee drinkers in our group also commented on how good the their coffee was. Also, do not miss ordering a drink from their cocktail menu, they have a great bartender. We will definitely be coming back to eat at James at the Mill.Special Features:
- Go for the chef's tasting menu...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014...you will not be let down. It was paired with a wine for each dish. Just a great place to 1) eat great food prepared exquisitely and 2) focus on the friend that you have brought with you. Love James at the Mill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointingBecomingoneDined on 5/24/2014I was disappointed with the pork tenderloin. It was flavorless and not at all tender. Thankfully the Brussels sprouts and potato-goat cheese croquette were delightful. A companion said his salmon was perfectly cooked but a bit bland. Another companion described her chicken as so-so. That said, the crab cake appetizer and chocolate cake dessert were delightful.Special Features:
- Busy, busy nightBikerdougVIPDined on 5/23/2014A repeat trip; the busiest of several. VERY energetic, too much so for the price at this visit. Food, typically good, inventive, fine combinations and excellent presentations. Had the Tasting Menu; great variety. Asparagus Risotto outstanding. Agnolotto good but odd in deep bowl, difficult to handle. Better in shallow bowl. Halibut GREAT! Quail good but also odd for this format. Had to use hands, no way around it. Berry Cobbler good but not very "special". Service attentive; efficient and hurried if not warm. However, it was busy. Seem to always be able to count on quality though for a special evening/meal. Hopefully, popularity will not precede a decline in what makes James at the Mill so special. Will return to be sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointedSTLtravelgirlDined on 5/20/2014Travel to the area on business 2x a year, and dine here most every time. Took customers here, they are also repeat visitors, and again had a great meal. Love to sit at bar and watch the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service Matched Great FoodrazorbackfoodieDined on 5/11/2014I went to James at the Mill for Mother's Day Brunch with three families, who are sometimes hard to please. James at the Mill blew us all away with their service. We sat in a private dining room overlooking the mill and had amazing service. My father even joked with our waitress to place a piece of bacon on everyone's plate and she provided even that odd request. The highlight of the service was Chef James coming to greet us. Overall a great location, great food and even more amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2014Food was good and could almost be called great. However, the service was painstakingly slow. Got one of our orders wrong and it was going to be 20 minutes to correct - so after waiting too long already, one of us had to eat something that wasn't ordered, just so the evening would end. Additionally, there was only a fixed price menu available. Don't know if that is normal as we were there on graduation weekend. While the food was good - it was not worth the fixed price menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014This was my 4th visit to NW Arkansas and have had the opportunity to dine with you on 3 of those trips. Our experience was excellent and you make it very easy to Impress that special someone for the evening!!! You are one of my top 3 dining Experiences in Ar!!! ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.