480 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: 2026287949
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday – Thursday: 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 AM – midnight
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andres; Head Chef Paul Yeck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Events team will gladly assist you in planning your gathering. Groups of 12 guests or more need to contact them directly to proceed in booking.
- Private Party Contact: Events@thinkfoodgroup.com 202-638-0202
- Special Events: Located in the heart of the Penn Quarter, the lively atmosphere of Jaleo DC makes it a great place to host a lunch or dinner.
For menus, pricing, availability and other information on events at Jaleo, please contact our Events Manager at (202) 638-0202
- Cross Street: E St.
- Public Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St.
We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Jaleo DC
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Jaleo DC reviews from OpenTable diners
502 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (355)good for groups (190)hot spot (183)special occasion (161)neighborhood gem (144)great for lunch (106)vibrant bar scene (85)notable wine list (74)great for outdoor dining (57)romantic (53)great for brunch (39)late-night find (38)kid-friendly (33)scenic view (8)Show More
- Great pre/post theatre or concertMyReviewVIPDined on 10/28/2014The food is fine and the location is hard to beat if going to Verizon Center or Shakespeare TheatreSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Great service - great food great location to museumsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014So many tapas to choose from. Categorized nicely to lead you from appetizers, through as many courses as you wish, to dessert. Highlights for me, fried bacon-wrapped dates - crunch outside, creamy texture inside, smoky, salty. Then a pork tenderloin - so tender, so flavorful. A meal to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old FavoritecampianoVIPDined on 10/26/2014We have eaten at the various Jose Andres restaurants in DC over the years and have generally been pleased. This particular day was lunch at 3:00 and we ordered 3 cold tapas plates and 1 hot one. It took 30 minutes for the cold ones to arrive and then another 10 for the hot one and the place, as one would expect, was not all that busy. Really odd. Someone dropped the ball. Very irritating. On the plus side, the food was excellent! We also went to Oyamel on this trip and it was very good as well, although not excellent. Soon he has a Chinese/Peruvian place opening next door. With chef turnover and maybe not enough supervision, the Andres restaurants go up and down, but I gotta say the recipes are dynamite.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableMiriamDined on 10/26/2014Another great dining experience at Jaleo DC. Great service, good food, pleasant table.Special Features:
- This is a favorite restaurantBikeAndBrunchDined on 10/25/2014I've been coming here for many years. The food and service are great and it's convenient to Metro and theaters. The staff was consistently gracious and efficient and seemed determined that we'd enjoy our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than eversporadicdinerDined on 10/25/2014My husband requested Jaleo for his birthday dinner. We had the black paella and several tapas plates, plus dessert. It's been a couple of years since we last ate here, and I was pleasantly surpised; the food was good to really good, the new(ish) decor is a huge improvement, and the service was very smooth (although impersonal).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a trip to Spanish foodcharlieboyDined on 10/24/2014Quality and presentation of food was excellent, but pricy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This tapas spot never disappoints.LynnDined on 10/24/2014Great food, perfect service, just love it for lunch. The shrimp in garlic sauce cannot be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative foodrowdypartyDined on 10/23/2014Excellent food and service. Had, 2 sangrias, 2 beers, 2 tapas, $75.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014Very tasty but slightly pricey. I would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome variety, slow diningMakingmehungryDined on 10/22/2014First off, reservations a must! Got in same day with Open Table. Yay! Loud, lively feel. Tons of great food options. Paella seemed outrageously priced, but we found a "pasta paella" with shrimp and calamari (dish called rossejat) and it was a great tasty value! Service was excelkent. Cool place. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dinnerWouterDined on 10/22/2014Overall fun with great food. Only negative was a droid and bean plate that I found too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TashiVIPDined on 10/22/2014Jaleo was slammed on a blustery Wednesday night and even with a reservation, we waited for a bit. To sit in Jorge's section is worth the wait and our guest from out of town was "wowed" by the wonderful food and exceptional service. The garlic shrimp, sauteed spinach and salad of shredded brussels sprouts, apricots and sherry vinaigrette were the stars of the evening. Thanks for a great time, Jorge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food4mercustVIPDined on 10/22/2014Food was excellent. The place was very busy and had to wait for our table about 20 minutes. Still worth it. Was disappointed in my mojito (mint as a garnish but not in the drink) but that will not dissuade from coming back.Special Features:
- It's one of the best... Always go!PorfiriopicanteDined on 10/22/2014The food is awesome! Small, pricey but worth it! Scallops ohhh the scallops are wonderful! Gambas Al Allijo was even better! Dip your bread in the garlic sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good; service was so bad.MizuhoDined on 10/21/2014we arrived early and there were only 3 or 4 other tables. There were many waitress/waitor walking around; however, No one offered us water or introduce the menu to us. I ended up asking a random waitress to bring us water. No introduction of menu or recommendation when we ordered. At the end of the night, they forgot to bring us all of our checked coats, and we had to remind them there were a total of 3 jackets. If it was busy when we arrived, I would have understood their absent mindedness; however, it was not busy when we arrived. I will never go back or bring friends to the reataurant when I am in town for meeting next time.
- VAfoodieVAFoodieVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food was fantastic. Service ok, a bit distracted.Special Features:
- elsmomDined on 10/19/2014I have brought many of my friends and clients to Jaleo for their first time. I am never disappointed with the food. Everyone always thanks me for making such a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodkathalalthDined on 10/19/2014Overall the food was very good but I will never get the boiled octopus again. It was everything octopus shouldn't be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting adventuremslaDined on 10/19/2014My husband had never had tapas before. A traditional Spaniard restaurant, there were a variation of meats and cheeses, but not a lot of vegetarian dishes. I would recommend looking over the menu before going to have a better idea of what you are in the mood for that day. We were catching up with friends & I did not have much time to really look over the menu. I was not over the moon over the food. I ordered a salad & noticed toward the end of my meal that it had not come & I had to ask for it & because I did not have much time to fully review the menu, it came with blue cheese. I am allergic. I finally got my salad, but I was already full. For the money spent, I would have gone elsewhere to have a more fulfilling meal. I would grade it a B+
- A little saltyDinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Four of us had 10 dishes. The combination of flavors was interesting. Some of the tastes were very nice. Several of the dishes were over salted. The manager was very helpful with the wine.Special Features:
- Held Reservations for us!!!SouthernBelleDined on 10/17/2014Great Food! And we were running late by 30 minutes and we called them and they held our reservations for us and got us in and out by showtime! A big relief because we had theater tickets.Special Features:
- One Step Away From Spain ItselfSPeteDined on 10/16/2014After living in Spain for two years, I have been dying to find a place that serves quality, authentic spanish cuisine. Jaleo is as close to spanish food as you can get without getting on a plane. I am definitely going back many, many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!daniDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I both have October birthdays and our son was born last October. This was our first night out together, just the two of us, in almost a year! We were celebrating our birthdays by going to a hockey game and decided to make a reservation at Jaleo. The food is amazing! Every ingredient was fresh and delicious. Perfectly cooked. Fernando was our server and he was excellent. He helped us pick a lovely bottle of wine and explained the menu to us. He was very pleasant and attentive without hovering. We will definitely go back, especially because it's so close to the metro and Verizon Center!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Spanish food but priceyJoaniDined on 10/16/2014We like the chicken croquetas, fish bunuelos, mini burger, tortilla de patata and the patatas bravas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely TapasBP1972Dined on 10/14/2014The food is good. We normally dine inside, but decided to dine outside this time. The noise was so loud due to the street traffic. The tuna tartare was literally the smallest dish I have ever shared. Definitely not something that is shareable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo makes we want to visit Spain!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014My son and I shared a 16 course tasting menus and it was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Torn between 3 and 4 starsChristinaVIPDined on 10/10/2014For the food alone, I would probably give this place 3 stars. While the menu has wide variety and a lot of delicious items, I think a lot of the stuff is overpriced. What saved the experience for me was the outstanding waiter we had. It was our first time here and the menu is huge, so he devoted five to ten minutes to talking us through the menu and pointing out his favorites for every category (and he described each dish's preparation and flavors in great detail- impressive!). What we ordered was largely based upon his recommendations, and we were not disappointed with the flavors of those dishes (but again- overpriced!). Not only were his recommendations great, but his overall service was excellent as well.Special Features:
- sumptuousfoodloveDined on 10/10/2014Great dining experience with very friendly service.......fresh and original tapas......a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014The tapas were excellent but the pork rib and artichoke paella had a burnt garlic taste to it.Special Features:
- Fun with so much to chooseBostonepbDined on 10/9/2014Recommended by a friend. Loved all of our small plates and desserts. Would love to go again when back in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasLadyRedSoxFanDined on 10/9/2014Thank you Jose Garces for spreading tapas and great food across the country. Loved Amada in Philadelphia, and now recently dined at Jaleo. The Pisto manchego con huevos - traditional stewed vegetables topped with fried quail eggs, may not sound like much, but it was absolutely delicious! The creaminess of the little egg yolks oozing onto the Spanish-ratatouille was a sensory sensation. Great food, great service, fun atmosphere. The only thing I would say pass to is the Chocolate Hazelnut Cake. It was bland. The hazelnut ice cream with it though was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jaleospatzdoVIPDined on 10/9/2014Great Spanish tapas food. The sangria is out of this worldSpecial Features:
- CubanBDined on 10/8/2014This is my 3rd visit to Jaleo and it never disappoints. Food was flavorful and service was excellent.Special Features:
- jose's weak sisterFStreetFoodieVIPDined on 10/8/2014I really want to like Jaleo. Probably because of Jose Andres. Think the world of him. But the food here just doesn't live up to his other restaurants. And the service is ok, but you definitely get the feeling that Jaleo has become more of a tourist mecca rather than a PQ local haunt. It's not that I can point to a specific shortcoming. It's just that the end product doesn't end up meeting expectations. Notable exceptions for us this particular night were the liquid olives, and the apple and fennel salad. They were up to Andres standard. It's also pricey for what you get. I'd go if you haven't before to get the experience. And the new renovations have cut down on the noise some. But head to Oyamel or Zatinyah instead otherwise.Special Features:
- Did not live up to the hype.YummyInMyTummyDined on 10/8/2014First time at Jaleo - highly recommended by several people. Ordered quite a few dishes, half of them being the top recommendations of their staff. What a disappointment. The super special 'can only be imported by our chef' swine was a snooze-fest. The potatoes with garlic mayo had a big blob of mayo in the center portion so you either got a ton of it, or none at all. Their version of calamari had more bites than expected and was tender and not rubbery at all, the flan was good with great whipped cream, hazelnut cake was a huge let down, hazelnut ice cream was fantastic. Bacon wrapped figs were great. Goat cheese with fig jam was a small portion and so-so at best. We felt our $115 (2 people, 1 bottle of fizzy water, 2 desserts) were wasted.
- er food tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/7/2014Very good tapas and nice selection of Spanish wines. Be sure to save room for the flan and the ice cream desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasMartyKVIPDined on 10/6/2014Went to Jaleo with business colleagues. We had a variety of tapas. Favorites were the braised lamb and the tortilla. We also had a oaella with jumbo shrimp from Spain. The paella was way oversalted but the shrimp was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for tapassrussell3Dined on 10/6/2014The food is very good, a bit pricey for my taste, good selection, and fun atmosphere. Reservations suggested.Special Features: