480 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: (202) 628-7949
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday – Thursday: 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 AM – midnight
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andres; Head Chef Paul Yeck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Events team will gladly assist you in planning your gathering. Groups of 12 guests or more need to contact them directly to proceed in booking.
- Private Party Contact: Events@thinkfoodgroup.com 202-638-0202
- Special Events: Located in the heart of the Penn Quarter, the lively atmosphere of Jaleo DC makes it a great place to host a lunch or dinner.
For menus, pricing, availability and other information on events at Jaleo, please contact our Events Manager at (202) 638-0202
- Cross Street: E St.
- Public Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St.
We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Jaleo DC
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Jaleo DC reviews from OpenTable diners
501 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (359)good for groups (201)hot spot (178)special occasion (167)neighborhood gem (142)great for lunch (111)vibrant bar scene (84)notable wine list (78)romantic (48)great for outdoor dining (42)late-night find (38)great for brunch (28)kid-friendly (21)scenic view (8)Show More
- Convenient to the TheaterMintyJulepVIPDined on 11/23/2014The tapas menu was not explained well, and we over ordered. The food was good but not great. The waitstaff was not very attentive. This place was over rated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the idea of tapas but this was teribbleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014The service at Jaleo - Dc was really good but It did not make up for the food which was terrible. The best dish was the pan fried Calamari. However the paella was so salty, that you relied on the garlic paste to eat any of it. At the very least, the lobster was well cooked.
- TashiVIPDined on 11/21/2014Lovely relaxed meal at Jaleo before the start of the holiday rush. While we missed Jorge, the service provided by Carlos was excellent. New favorite of the day was a chick pea stew with beautiful hints of smoked paprika. Of course each dish was perfect, so trying to single out just one for applause is always difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteCLeigh75Dined on 11/20/2014Love Jaleo for years! Carlos was an amazing waiter. I never have a complaint at any of jose Andres'restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch but slow serviceSandoz76Dined on 11/20/2014I had recommended this spot to some out-of-towners for lunch. They loved the food, but we waited a good 20 minutes for anyone to come by to even check on our drinks. That's a looong time for a mid-day lunch meeting. The restaurant wasn't packed or anything, so that was slightly off-putting. But food was lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch specials--who knew?OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/20/2014We picked Jaleo for a weekday lunch thinking we would order tapas, but we found they had a small but very good lunch menu. The lamb sandwich had thin slices of pink lamb with a savory aioli on a thin ciabatta bread--delicious! Also good was the arroz a la Cubana, a seasoned rice with fried egg and bacon. The sandwiches came with soup, in this case a warm pureed carrot soup with olive oil that was a great complement. We finished up with an excellent dessert of chocolate crumbs over chocolate mousse with coffee ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I vote for cocktail weekWizFanVIPDined on 11/19/2014The gin and tonic special with the complimentary appetizer is a winner. For 2 people, 4 dishes are plenty. Very rich and filling. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo before Verizon CenterBallhog12Dined on 11/18/2014Stopped at Jaleo for a quick meal before going to a basketball game at Verizon Center. Everything that we were served was delicous and we were able to sample 12+ dishes in an hour before rushing off to the game. Waiter was very knowledgeable and recomended several dishes that I would not have ordered and ended up loving. Cant wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/17/2014Love this place, and I love that they have changed the decor since the last time I was there in 2012. Food is always amazing and the cocktails are fun. Great for group dinners or special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- secondtimearoundDined on 11/15/2014Good thing we had reservations. Great food great service fun night! The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Creative Delicious TapasbusinessdinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014All the tapas dishes were delicious and creatively prepared. Recommend steering away from the paella - unappealing taste - after 1 bit, we left the rest on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny little tasty bites.SilverSpringDinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014Every mouthful is a burst of flavor. The peppers stuffed with goat cheese, the mini hamburguesa, the perfectly cooked scallops ... all of it! They provide a lunch menu, but we always order from the tapas menu that they're known for. A bit more expensive, but worth it. The service was surprisingly lax. Took ages to get water, even longer to get cava and cocktails. Otherwise, a perfect lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal and serviceAnnapolisDinerDined on 11/13/2014We had dinner at Jaleo prior to going to the theatre and used their pre-show menu. The choices were excellent and provided a good variety to choose from. The server was extremely attentive and helpful. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeteVIPDined on 11/12/2014World-class tapas and a great place for grazing. This remains one of Jose Andres best spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in an informal atmosphere.Yfs71VIPDined on 11/12/2014Jaleo feels like a bit like a "scene", but the cooking is absolutely first-rate, and the variety of offerings truly impressive. Everything we ordered was good, much of it great, and the server was dry helpful -- with all of the tapas offerings it's hard to make up one's mind. He took time with us and steered us right in every instance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rough start but great foodlisn2catsDined on 11/9/2014My mother craved paella for her birthday and I chose DC Jaleo based on Tom Sietsema's review. I called ahead to find out which paellas would be available so we could order as soon as we sat down (takes about 40 min to cook). We arrived & the first server said all paellas were available. Second server said only 2 unlisted were available and changes could not be made to either (that is, no add-ons). Neither suited us (tho I'm sure they were tasty!). Mom was disappointed. She really wanted seafood in her paella. We settled and order tapas to start (and fulfill the seafood needs). The tapas were great...would've been amazing if only we had gotten what we ordered. Again-DELICIOUS but just slightly off from what we ordered. Putting all this aside - once it was clear we were losing enthusiasm, the manager (?) came over and tried to set things right. Our servers were patient and kind and, more importantly, the food was dee-licious and my mom had a happy birthday dinner. Definitely get the fried fritter things - they're addictive - and the squid with rice & squid ink was yummy too. Hoping to go back to DC Jaleo soon - so many tapas to try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!WanderingFoodieDined on 11/8/2014Great place to meet friends and eat lots of delicious dishes.Special Features:
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014This was my second trip to Jaleo. I went with a group of friends for a long, leisurely lunch on a Saturday. Everything we tasted was amazing! Dishes we're well paced so that we were always trying some new delicious item. Flavors were well balanced and interesting. The waitstaff were wonderfully attentive and helped us make choices from the staggeringly large menu. It's been a few days and we're still talking about how good everything was, particularly the flan. One of the best things any of us had ever tasted. We keep talking about making the trip back for a longer conference so we can go every day for a week and get to try everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WINNERwvmountainmamaDined on 11/8/2014Jaleo offers a "little" something for everyone. Order several tapas (read "little") plates for the table. They're perfect for sharing. Chef José Andrés updates the menu frequently, but our favorites are oldies but goodies: sliced apple and fennel salad with Manchego cheese, walnuts, and Sherry dressing; sautéed spinach, pine nuts, and raisins; the Spanish omelette with potatoes and onions; little chorizo sausages wrapped in thin, crisp potato slices; and the list goes on. The location is convenient to the Lansburgh Shakespeare Theater, so convenient that one would barely get wet walking from the restaurant to the theater. Jaleo is a real winner!Special Features:
- Great experience!!JCDCDined on 11/7/2014My husband and I had one of the different tasting menus and it was awesome. Well sized portions full of flavour. Friendly staff and excellent service... Definitely a must when in DCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usual greatnessynadalDined on 11/7/2014As always, Jaleo delivers in service, food and atmosphere. Been a loyal customer for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodCherieDined on 11/7/2014The food was truly excellent. We had the tasting plate which gave us a an opportunity to try many options we might not otherwise have selected. We had one member of our party with allergies and they were very accommodating. The service couldn't have been better -truly top notch. We had more than enough food too! The only complaint was the cramped seating and uncomfortable chairs and low table. It was hard to have a conversation with the noise level, especially with the groups surrounding us. By the end of the evenin, we were all sore from having to assume awkward postures to eat. But overall, the meal was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Spanish tapasstompsDined on 11/7/2014The menu has a wide variety of authentic Spanish tapas including aged Iberico ham. The food is well prepared, attractively presented and very flavorful. The server was very helpful offering suggestions regarding menu items and pairings and was attentive to our table. The wine list is solely Spanish but is extensive, well chosen and has a wine for every budget. Don't be afraid to try an unfamiliar bottle here as the selections are excellent.Special Features:
- goodtasteVIPDined on 11/6/2014I have eaten at Jaleo in Las Vegas several times and loved it, so we decided to try out the Washington DC location. It wa good, but I think Las Vegas is better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo is a great eat especially for DCGuchiDined on 11/6/2014Jaleo is a great restaurant just as most of Jose Andres' restaurants are. The menu is so big that it is hard to decide what to order. Almost to the point of being overwhelming. Anybody who enjoys food will know that this is a good thing, no a great thing. Everything about the bar is pretty great. Although I would never book a reservation at Jaleo if you are in a rush. It is the kind of place to go to enjoy food and drinks and the company you are with. The staff was great. The drinks are amazing so a 15 minute wait was perfect and allowed us time to grab a cocktail before we sat down. The ambiance is great and the seats are very comfortable. The menu is great and the food comes fairly quickly. I have been there a few times and have never had a bad experience. I feel that it is not quite a place to have a quiet or private dinner. This is a place to get great food and drinks and have fun with the people you are with. The staff was extremely accommodating as one of my friends showed up a little late. It was no problem. Great dinner, great food and great ambiance. This is a foodies dream, but I would still like a churro when I see it on the front of the dessert menu. It says it on the outside of the dessert menu but it was not an option as a dessert. This is my one and only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingss2733VIPDined on 11/6/2014I was excited to eat at Jaleo DC, as I had never been but my date has raved about this restaurant since I've known him. The hostess sat us at a table in the very front of the restaurant in the very right corner. I commented to her that I didn't like the table as it is secluded from the entire restaurant, with a cubicle feel. Her response to me is what took my excitement level to zero. Not at all understanding or accommodating. I would have left had it not been for my date who suggested we order a few appetizers and then leave. The food we ordered (gambas ajillo and the croquetas) were both very good; however, with the initial attitude I received from the hostess, it was very hard to enjoy the rest of our dining experience.
- Return customersmithdonnacDined on 11/5/2014I was treated to Jaleo several years ago by a client. Since then I won't make a trip to DC without a visit to Jaleo. I've been to both the downtown and Crystal City locations. Though their environments are very different the food is consistently outstanding with a variety of choices to please everyones palette highlighted by unique twists to vibrant flavors! It never disappoints. I continue to take clients and friends who agree it's one of their new favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014We went there for lunch and took 2 times the tapas lunch menu which we shared. It was great and really a lot. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPlainJaneDoeDined on 11/4/2014Excellent food, service and experience! Presentation is also exceptional. Drink menu is unique yet delicious (so often unique doesn't translate to good). I look forward to returning many times.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014This was our second time to Jaleo. The food is excellent and the service is outstanding. They have a large menu and the wait staff is always willing to give you recommendations. We ordered 2-3 dishes each and we could not eat all of it. Our favorites that evening were the flatbread, lamb, tuna tartare, omelet and the paella was excellent. We were not crazy about the fish soup and the red snapper. We can hardly wait to go back again. We went before a Caps game, very easy walk to the Verizon and easy to find public parking.Special Features:
- Extensive Tapas, Limited BarPickyEaterDined on 11/3/2014Went with four. Extensive Tapas Menu, Limited Bar Menu. One guest must have his Bombay Sapphire Gin and the bar had no Bombay Gins. Server had limited knowledge for Liquor & Drinks, but very good knowledge for Wines offered. Suggestion: avoid any mixed drink or very poor Sangria, chose from the wine menu only. While Tapas menu is extensive, We have had better Tapas in other cities. Very thin and crispy bread, like a brucheta, was best small plate. Salmon and Tuna Tartar served in tiny cones was unique and tasty. Beet sald was tender and tasty. So, this may be the best in the District. 4 Drinks/Wine, Tapas Dinner for 4: $175 with tip.
- For me, Jaleo is %110DundithDined on 11/3/2014Jaleo in DC is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere, and I travel quite a bit. Chef José Andrés wide selection of dishes never, ever is less than excellent, I like smaller servings tapas-style, the service is perfect and friendly, the ambiance is cheerful, light, casual, airy, and for me, it's the perfect place. I never tire of it, and have eaten there for over 17 years, as I once worked across the street from Jaleo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food as alwaysDCdinerVIPDined on 11/2/2014Jaleos is a long time favorite and didn't disappoint when we went there for a pre-theatre dinner. The new pre-theatre menu has a great selection and provides more than enough food for $30. The staff was very solicitous and made sure we were done in good time to make the performance.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014Hosted a party of 11 and the srvice and food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularProntomacVIPDined on 11/1/2014Jaleo, in its original form in downtown DC, is just wonderful. We were seated at a nice window table and devoured a dozen or so tapas. Each tapas was truly individual and unique and our wine outstanding. The kitchen is exceptionally well managed--big compliments to the CHEF and the floor managers. We had a great time with visitors from Britain.Special Features:
- Good but below expectationPBRFoodTravellerDined on 10/31/2014The restaurant was full of good looking happy people. The service was fine but not exceptional. The wine list was a little disappointing - considering it's a Spanish only restaurant, it could have had more selection from the many wine producing regions of this great country. Food was actually a little below expectation. Some dishes lacked seasoning and overall it was just good. We enjoyed it, but enjoyed Jose Andres Oyamel Mexican restaurant across the street far more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and tapas!LoveNewPlacesDined on 10/31/2014This was our first visit and it was great. The ambiance of the restaurant was nice and fit the genre of the food. The waiters and bartenders were very helpful. The chorizo was excellent and we had to resist ordering more the one dish of it! I thought the prices were ver reasonable. Several different types of dishes were available and all just the right size to share between two people. Left the place comfortably full. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlaceDamonHankDined on 10/31/2014This is our favorite resturant in DC. The extensive menu and great service keep us comming back.Anytime we have a reason to be in DC we fit a reservation into the schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WineyDined on 10/31/2014Great food, best butternut squash soup ever! The staff was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!SussexSteveVIPDined on 10/30/2014This is the second time I've dined at Jaleo DC, and it was very good both times. I would highly recommend it to anyone!Special Features: