480 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: 2026287949
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday – Thursday: 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 AM – midnight
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andres; Head Chef Paul Yeck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Events team will gladly assist you in planning your gathering. Groups of 12 guests or more need to contact them directly to proceed in booking.
- Private Party Contact: Events@thinkfoodgroup.com 202-638-0202
- Special Events: Located in the heart of the Penn Quarter, the lively atmosphere of Jaleo DC makes it a great place to host a lunch or dinner.
For menus, pricing, availability and other information on events at Jaleo, please contact our Events Manager at (202) 638-0202
- Cross Street: E St.
- Public Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St.
We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Jaleo DC
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Jaleo DC reviews from OpenTable diners
581 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (395)special occasion (213)good for groups (212)hot spot (209)neighborhood gem (161)great for lunch (148)vibrant bar scene (124)notable wine list (110)great for outdoor dining (89)romantic (73)great for brunch (66)late-night find (65)kid-friendly (55)scenic view (12)Show More
- Out of towners from MinneapolisBecklynnVIPDined on 8/28/2014This was recommended by a friend and was our favorite meal of our 5 night stay in DC. Great food. Awesome service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Such a great meal but....FrequentFoodieDined on 8/26/2014I love Jaleo. I do. The service is attentive, the food is divine, but when did this become a place to bring children?! This isn't the restaurant's fault at all, but the screaming and running children-- from not one but at least two other tables was more than irritating. I'm not sure why the staff didn't ask them to control their children, or something else, but this was my only concern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing & DeliciousCat52Dined on 8/25/2014I went to Jaleo with friends. The evening was so relaxed with sufficient service to feel taken care of, but not intruded upon. The waitress recommended that we order 3 dishes per person, but we ordered 2 each and it was plenty. The food was really interesting and delicious. I never would have ordered dates wrapped in bacon and breaded and fried, but it was delicious. The hanger steak was to die for. It was such a relaxed and satisfying evening, I'm ready to return already.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014A great place for eating with friends. The food is great, and sharing the food seems to encourage sharing everything else. I keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite DC RestaurantJanetDined on 8/24/2014After driving to DC to restaurants quite often from our northern VA home, I have found the one place that's worth driving in for over and over again. The food is unique and delicious, and the small plates allow us to try many different and unusual dishes. This time we had the toast brushed with tomatoes and topped with Manchego, stuffed olives, potatoes bravas (our fave), tuna and potato salad, gazpacho, bacon wrapped dates, chicken croquettes, chocolate hazelnut cake, flan and olive oil ice cream. We sat and debated if we "needed" to order more, and we would have if we weren't all stuffed. Our server was knowledgeable and helpful, and the food came out promptly. We love this place and will take the hour long drive again gladly.Special Features:
- Brunch was greatKimCDined on 8/24/2014We met for brunch on a comfortable August Sunday, so we sat outside. It was such a pleasant setting despite a panhandler circling around & soliciting us! The food was great, the menu varied. We'd have preferred the usual brunch menu, but, because of their Restaurant Week offering, they weren't serving 'brunch.' Otherwise, it was a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Washington stopOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Fabulous find.multiple small plates great for sharing in a larger group. Pricey,but, you know that this is not a bargain going in. Knowledgeable staff help you navigate the long menu. Service was very attentive and pacing of various courses perfect making for a very enjoyable evening.restaurant is very trendy (aka noisy!) but one does not come he re for a romantic tete-a-tete.Special Features:
- Great Tapasjlb57Dined on 8/23/2014Great food, very busy and loud, but all in all, a good experience. Had to wait for over a half an hour with resos on a Sat. night and it seemed they didn't really care. I would def. go back. Have the paella and the chorizo with mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Very loudterryDined on 8/23/2014We had a drink at the bar and decided not to stay. We had the tuna Tartare cones and they are wonderful but $5 each I felt it was pretty expensive.Special Features:
- dc1763Dined on 8/23/2014Went for restaurant week, not bad but we should have chosen from the regular menu instead. They recommend 4 tapas plates but 3 is pretty filling and you want to leave room for the yummy desserts. Good experience overall, will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always something newDiningOneDined on 8/23/2014Excellent and innovative food and super service help make Jaleo an exciting place to dine, pre-theater or later. Noisy, so not the place for quiet romance, but certainly vibrant. Initial seating was poor (in a walkway for trays of food) but a quiet word and a request and we were reseated near the window. Nice catch. The wine list on an i-pad selection system did not work however, so we fell back on the "tell the waiter and have him get it". I prefer low tech, esp. when high tech doesn't work. Always new dishes and fun choices.Special Features:
- Great TapasRedhotmeDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed the tapas. Had mussels, bacon wrapped dates, chicken fritters, spinach, tuna potato salad, goat cheese on endive, and drinks. the mussels were our all-time favorite, tasting smoky and served with french bread for dipping in the sauce. Chicken fritters were interesting in that they had a soup-like consistency inside, but not much chicken. Potato salad was light and tasty with the tuna mixed in. I had their Sangria, which was tasty, not too sweet. Would highly recommend as the menu is large and the wait staff seemed very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014Food was very good! Server didn't ask us if we were enjoying our apps or main course once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Food was excellent and great service, reservations are meaningless, we had to wait 30 minutes and they were about to give us a table in a spot that was less than ideal. Management did come through though and found us another table and were gracious in compensating us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasted many different dishesjasrDined on 8/21/2014We went for a birthday celebration during restaurant week and were able to taste many different dishes. The food is very good, some dishes better than others. Beet salad was excellent and very generous portion. Wilted spinach was good but too wet for my taste. Loved the chorizo with mashed potatoes. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST TAPAS IN DCFoodie804Dined on 8/20/2014I came here for the first time with a few friends for restaurant week and honestly had the best meal I've had in a LONG time. It was a great deal - 5 courses for $35.14. We all ordered something a little different and shared. The chorizo was absolutely insanely delicious, best chorizo I've ever had, hands down. The salmon was second best, it had an amazing cauliflower puree and raspberry sauce. AWESOME. The white been salad and bacon wrapped dates were phenomenal. I would have to say that the chocolate flan dessert was one of my favorites though, I was so full after the first 4 tapas but I still ate the entire dessert because it was THAT good. I HIGHLY recommend this place to everyone especially for special occasions and date nights!Special Features:
- Excellent Chefs Selection MenuDoxieLuvrDined on 8/20/2014We were overwhelmed by the number of delicious sounding items in the menu. We decided to try the chef's tasting menu. Everything came out delicious! We were able to try things we normally wouldn't have ordered. The menu was also good for a couple who really enjoy talking. We didn't have to refer back to the menu and could continue our conversation with very little interruption.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week delightstarvingstudentDined on 8/19/2014The food was incredible and surprisingly filling, the service was not only knowledgeable but friendly and talkative in a welcoming way. The decor is fascinating and all blends together to make a unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014With a daughter married to a gentleman from Spain she knows her tapas. We all loved the food but it was important that she gave it her stamp of approval. I loved the creative cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service DisappointingVeteranFoodieDined on 8/19/2014Have dined here numerous times. The tapas are creative and well-executed. The location is very good, especially if you are attending an event at the Verizon Center. Prices are expensive for tapas. Restaurant's shortcoming is the service. Waiter was polite and friendly but inattentive. Constantly had to search for him -- and restaurant was not THAT crowed. Wine arrived halfway through dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent restaturant week menuDonnaDined on 8/19/2014every choice was very good and were able to have a wonderful conversation around great food and service.Special Features:
- Bad seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014The food was good and the selections were numerous and varied. The hangar steak, recommended by our server, was delicious. We made a reservation on Open Table for after a matinee at the Woolly Mammoth. The restaurant wasn't crowded when we arrived and many good tables were available but we were seated in the back in the clear path of servers who had to take food to outside tables. It was busy and distracting. The hot air kept blowing in the door. I think if we had made the effort to make a reservation we would have been seated in a better section and the less desirable tables be give to those who hadn't made plans. The server also rushed us for our order...difficult since we had never seen the menu before there were many choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- review of Jaleo restaurantjimmyDined on 8/17/2014good variety and price during restaurant week. we enjoy the tapa selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All things good, some extraordinaryJackOfNoTradeDined on 8/16/2014I went with a party of four. We ordered a variety of things and shared between the table. Everything was good. We ordered various jamons, all of which were excellent. The croquetas were great - as good as any I have had in Spain. Anyway, I could go on. Just a wonderful experience for everyoneSpecial Features:
- Jaleo is always goodch22VIPDined on 8/16/2014Jaleo is probably the best restaurant deal I've come across in DC. This time, the food was only very good instead of excellent though. I'd still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ¡Magnifico!OhioBrianDined on 8/16/2014The food and service were great. We had an early reservation but took our time and were expertly guided through the menu by our server. I love eating Tapas and every plate was delicious. I also love how plates come out when they are ready, ensuring hot, and fresh food! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saturday lunchdontgetoutmuchDined on 8/16/2014Food was good/fun; service was sporadic. Wine was forgotten until reminded. Excuses with respect to kitchen given when asked about different dishes that were missing. Ended up with a plate that was not ordered at one point late in the meal.Special Features:
- Great food!jvrwDined on 8/15/2014I've loved this restaurant for years. Never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSueMDined on 8/15/2014I've been to Jaleo in numerous ocassions, this time it had a lot to be desired. It was the first time for the rest of my party, and they will never go back. Food was not fresh, service was awful, and waiter and service staff were not too friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent meal and experienceluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014Our meal at Jaleo was fantastic. The staff and the service were great and the food was definitely an experience. Well worth the stop for anyone interested in upscale Spanish tapas.Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Our greeting by the hostess was immediate. The waiter was unimpressive - felt like his job was an inconvenience of his day. We received spoons for dessert and had to advise him we hadn't yet received our first course. He seemed friendly only as we neared 'tipping' time...Special Features:
- Amazing Dining ExperienceDCfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Had a delicious dinner at Jaleo and a wonderful overall dining experience. All the tapas were amazing - I would recommend trying pretty much everything on the menu! Our waiter was fantastic and provided us with excellent service. The London Dry cocktail was the best drink I've ever had and I'll definitely be back for more of those. Would absolutely come back to Jaleo - it's evident why this is one of the top restaurants in DC year after year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Time During Restaurant WeekeconguyDined on 8/14/2014We had an early reservation on the Thursday of restaurant week. The RW menu was limited but adequate, and the food was excellent as always. The waitress did an excellent and attentive job, so I rated the service very good. Unfortunately, the frequent visits by the busboys became annoying, to the point when one person tried to take my plate before I was finished! That experience, which made us feel like we were being rushed, plus the high level of noise caused me to lower the ambience to just fair. Our experience during prior visits was much, much better.Special Features:
- Excellent Food!FoodisFunDined on 8/13/2014We had great food - eight different tapas. Everything was awesome! The restaurant was crowded but it added to the ambiance. Service was excellent as were the drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and AmbienceGitaDined on 8/13/2014The service was consistent and efficient, our server as extremely knowledgeable about the wine and the food. The gazpacho soup was perfectly seasoned with chunks of tomato and cucumber, the beet salad with blue cheese was a harmony of flavors and textures, the watermelon salad with microgreens and balsamic was sublime, stuffed roasted red peppers were succulent with mouth-bursting flavor, and the pork loin was perfectly cooked. Dessert of flan and chocolate rounded off the meal and the finale of black coffee with a lingering chocolate taste was superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!csf123Dined on 8/13/2014Had a table for two outside - Fantastic service, even better food. Highly recommend the red wine sangria. Went during Restaurant Week (unbeknownst to us), and took part in the RWk special. Very reasonable price and great dish choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dropped in for restaurant weekLunchOutDined on 8/13/2014Jaleo had plenty of room for us to sample their excellent restaurant week lunch menu, and the service was very solid. Glad I had the excuse to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resting on laurels=poor experienceTheHawkVIPDined on 8/13/2014Our group of 6 was the first reservation to be seated. We ordered from the restaurant week menu so you'd think the kitchen would be organized-NOT. We watched the wait staff chat and generally fool around while we waited for our orders to be taken. When the food came out of the kitchen, it was haphazard - I realize this tapas but one dish for six people and 5 minutes before the second and third dishes came- in a mostly empty restaurant is inexcusable.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014Enjoyed our Restaurant Week dinner tremendously. The food was delicious and the staff were very attentive.Special Features:
- Great Tapas!SashDined on 8/12/2014Loved Jaleo in DC! I've been to the Bethesda location several times and wanted to see what the fuss was about the DC location so I came with my boyfriend for restaurant week. We had such a great lunch! The food was all amazing (some differences between the Bethesda menu and this one, can't say which I prefer!) and the glass of red I got went perfectly. It was raining outside so it was possibly more quiet than usual, but I really enjoyed the decorations and colors of the dining area. Would definitely recommend!Special Features: