480 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: 2026287949
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday – Thursday: 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 AM – midnight
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andres; Head Chef Paul Yeck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Events team will gladly assist you in planning your gathering. Groups of 12 guests or more need to contact them directly to proceed in booking.
- Private Party Contact: Events@thinkfoodgroup.com 202-638-0202
- Special Events: Located in the heart of the Penn Quarter, the lively atmosphere of Jaleo DC makes it a great place to host a lunch or dinner.
For menus, pricing, availability and other information on events at Jaleo, please contact our Events Manager at (202) 638-0202
- Cross Street: E St.
- Public Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St.
We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Jaleo DC
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Jaleo DC reviews from OpenTable diners
543 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (370)hot spot (206)good for groups (195)special occasion (190)neighborhood gem (162)great for lunch (133)vibrant bar scene (115)notable wine list (92)great for outdoor dining (77)romantic (66)late-night find (58)great for brunch (52)kid-friendly (42)scenic view (10)Show More
- Wonderful!SayFayDined on 9/20/2014Came here with two out of town friends. Service was amazing! We were able to get an outdoor table and out server was excellent. Just the right amount of taking care of his customers and giving us the space we needed to catch up. We couldn't decide on the two tasting experiences and when we decided on the first one-our server still came by and gave one of my friends a taste of the rabbit since that is what she was most excited to try. The manager was super helpful and attentive-he noticed we were pondering over the menu and having a hard time deciding. If you aren't sure what to order and overwhelmed by the menu-I recommend the tasting experience. Sangrias were yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of SpainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014This is the perfect restaurant for anyone who wants to experience a wide variety of great Spanish specialties. We tried many dishes (including a considerable number of excellent options for our Vegan friend), and everything was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The energetic ambiance of the restaurant coupled with its delectable small plates make Jaleo the ideal place for an afternoon meal with a group or surprisingly for intimate meal for two. I visited with a friend &despite the busy lunch hour we were escorted to a seat tucked away in a corner that made it seem like we were the only ones in the restaurant. Service was great! We enjoyed treat after treat of delicious small plates from the aptly seasoned cauliflower, olives and dates, to the mushroom risotto, bacon covered dates, baccalaoittos, (cod fish fritters), pattas fritas and tasty camarones (shrimp). I love this place. Note to restaurant patrons- while highly priced the caraffe of white sangria is well worth the indulgence.Special Features:
- Slow service and burnt steakOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/19/2014First of all we had to wait for more than 20 min to get sitted and the service was super slow. Our waiter seemed to be always in a hurry and didn't explain us the menu properly. Once we decided on what we wanted, we asked to bring the cured meats first, but our request wasn't fulfilled (although the waiter said he took care of it). The shrimps were oversalted, the mushrooms were lacking salt and didn't have the flavor. But the biggest disappointment was the hanger steak... We asked for medium, but it came out fully cooked and moreover completely BURNT!!!! So disappointed! Won't come back.Special Features:
- Noisy but good food.RollieDined on 9/19/2014I used to go here frequently. Since the renovation, the noise level here has increased so much (far beyond "energetic" on the scale shown above) that I don't go nearly as much as I used to. When I go to dinner, I really like to talk to my companions without shouting. The food is still good though. Garlic shrimp & patas bravas are old standbys, & I liked the steak with blue cheese as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spain in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014The tapas reminded us of a recent trip to Spain, the food was delicious! The tortilla, goat cheese and the fried peppers took us back to Sevilla and GranadaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty selection of tapasPorfiriopicanteDined on 9/18/2014Jaleo has been a long time favorite. It has a great food selection as well as specialty cocktails and the service is relatively fast considering it's usually packed! I really enjoy eating hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect end to a museum dayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/18/2014service was attentive and informative. food was inventive, although occasionally heavy on garlic and spices for some tastes.Special Features:
- TashiVIPDined on 9/17/2014Always fun to take an out-of-town friend to Jaleo's. Generally our guests are willing to let us order and no one has ever been disappointed. With guidance from Jorge (who provides truly amazing service), we all enjoyed a fabulous meal filled with a mixture of tastes and textures. The liquid olives are always something our guests must experience; the sauteed spinach was amazing; the chicken in parsley sauce was perfectly prepared and everything that came to the table was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPcAbFsDined on 9/15/2014The service was horrible, especially at the bar. The food is really good. Loved the black rice paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for true tapas peoplemuksonDined on 9/13/2014the food here is to Tapas what PF Chang's is to Chinese i.e Watered down. The bold and brilliant tastes of Spain have been muddled to something presumable more attractive to the mass market. And the service is in direct proportion to your table size. Big tables get good service, four or less, not so much. we wont be back.
- LovefoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014The food and service were good. It was very expensive and the atmosphere was visually very loud. I preferred Jaleo in Las Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic TapaswplandryDined on 9/12/2014We just returned from Spain and were missing tapas and sangria. While the sangria here is made with club soda (not authentic at all), it still tastes pretty good. The food, on the other hand, was excellent! Very reminiscent of true Spanish tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaleoAltoCatDined on 9/12/2014We try to get here whenever we're in DC. Everything is delicious! The best tapas we've had since Barcelona!Special Features:
- Getting Priceyboz65Dined on 9/12/2014This was my 3rd or 4th trip to Jaleo. It's a good place to take friends who have been gone for a time; the leisurely pace of courses allows time for "catching up" and other conversation. But the dishes are becoming overly-precious, in both senses of the word. A plate with a thin slice of cheese, two very small apricots, and a spoonful of sauce looks pretty, but it was barely enough to split with one other person. And it cost us $8. Three such cheese dishes, three entree-style dishes of shrimp, ham, and cauliflower, and two small glasses (one each) of sangria later, the bill came to $65. Service was impaired by waiters who delivered several of our dishes to the next table. I may not be coming here again.Special Features:
- Better than everJuliaz3Dined on 9/12/2014I've been dining at Jaleo for many years now and at times the quality has waxed and waned. Lately the food has been top-knotch and I've enjoyed it more than ever. Great selection of wine also. Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014This place is always amazing and the food and drinks are killer!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding -twice!MissIvyVIPDined on 9/10/2014We are at JALEO twice during our three night stay in D.C. There are so many choices on the tapas menu, we needed two nights to get the range of flavors. Dishes we loved: tomato gazpacho, fingerling-tomato-tuna salad, beef sliders with iberico ham (add on), Gambas al alijilo, and quail. So many diverse and wonderful flavors-all very well balanced. I've also eaten at his restaurant in Las Vegas, great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMaydayDined on 9/10/2014Picked this to meet and eat with a friend, had a great meal and everything tasted fabulous. Service excellent and knowledgeable staff. Would definitely recommend - very busy on a weeknight with lots of business folks and dates.Special Features:
- I wanted to like it. Really.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014NOISY. We both the overpriced sampler ($55.) which included a "course" consisting of a fried egg, another course was bread (most restaurants include bread a side dish instead of a full "course" of the dinner. The sampler is not worth it on the whole but service was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014Jose andres hit a home run here. Unless you've eaten there several times or have a specific item on the menu in mind, let your server order or bring items for you. They are ALL very knowledgable about evey dish and can tell you the origin and reason for every ingriedients in every dish. This place is more than a meal, it's a dining experience. WTG Mr. Andres and teamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GwenDined on 9/9/2014Very different food choices. Nice atmosphere. Wonderful spot for lunch and happy hour.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealfoodfan57VIPDined on 9/7/2014HI we were there for brunch. We had the mixed tapas Jaleo experience and it was wonderful. It was well paced and the combinations were good. One of the best meals in DC that I have had in some time. Truly remarkable tapas include the molecular olives, the mussels, and the bread with tomatoes (simple but unbelievably yummy and flavorful.) The pairings were well considered. We also had the white sangria with Cava and that was perfect for brunch and a table for four. Glad that we had extra time to relax and enjoy it. The pasta dish at the end was our least favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014The place was very nice paired by good selection of food. Might look inexpensive but once you start eating you will get carried away in ordering bunch of things than you normally planned. Try to stick with the specialty tapas and shy away from the regular selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & ChairsMartiuxDined on 9/5/2014The food & the drinks were great, but the chairs were so unconfortable than we have to asked to change them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatAcedVIPDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic food baby squid and bean dish and aged ham was wonderfulI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ConceptamdealbaVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is one of about three restaurants by Jose Andres in the DC area. Exceptional small plates, full of flavor and very innovative. Loved every bite of it!Special Features:
- Wonderful Tasting Menu!Traveller44Dined on 9/4/2014Was in DC for a couple of days and did the tasting menu at Jaleo. Joses tasting menu was amazing, tried tons of different food and did not leave hungry!Special Features:
- Just the thingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014The seasonal tomato centric menu was just the thing for a warm summer evening. Lovely, handcrafted cocktails and a well informed server resulted in a comfortable flow of excellent dishes. We could have dined quickly if we had chosen to do so, but good conversation over very good food made for two plus hours of pleasure. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Bad service.NoisetteNYCDined on 9/1/2014I was so disappointed with the service I received here especially having positive experiences at other Jose Andres restaurants. The restaurant was slow and more than half empty when I was dining yet the server was not attentive at all. She was difficult to find - I actually had to wave her down multiple times. She suggested wine that was 86'd. She let us sit with empty wine glasses when we would have ordered another bottle. She forgot to bring us dessert menus and never checked in to see if we were satisfied during the meal. I noticed multiple staff members congregating together around the dining room, especially by the host stand nearby my table. Food was great though. It's a shame to have it ruined by the service.
- Great Jose Andres find!NomiVIPDined on 8/31/2014Another wonderful Jose Andres find! Fantastic Tapas, and fantastic service. We were so happy to be here after, so many disappointments in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back is bestNancyDCVIPDined on 8/31/2014Cauliflower, potatoes, sandwiches, mini burgers, croquettes... the food was all great! What I can recommend is a table in the back - first it seems its like the last table in the whole restaurant :) but its quieter there, I really enjoyed it.
- DeliciousWineODined on 8/31/2014I go here every time I'm in DC. It is a must. Get the sea urchin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014We had a great server. All the tapas were delicious and the cocktails were top notch. We will gladly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo wins againenviraDined on 8/30/2014My cousin and I met for lunch at Jaleo and enjoyed it a lot. We both had the updated Sangria which they recently changed from traditional to more like a glass of wine with some citrus slices in it. I prefer the traditional but it was good. The steamed mussels were delicious and we had the toast with roasted tomato on top which was a bit saltier than I like. My cousin had the tuna salad plate which was full of very good veggies as well as tuna - and the mushrooms with garlic sauce - very yummy. Jaleo food is always interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- DisappointingDoodleDined on 8/29/2014We had fond memories of this restaurant from the days when it first opened. The food was mediocre, the bus boys kept clearing plates, overall I would not go back.Special Features:
- TashiVIPDined on 8/29/2014A terrific meal and we especially enjoyed the tomato salad that is part of the current tomato celebration. Where else do you see the kind of attention to detail that not only provides you with perfectly ripe, peeled heirloom tomatoes, but even the grape and cherry tomatoes were peeled and cut in half. All of our dishes were excellent, but the salad was the star this time around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of towners from MinneapolisBecklynnVIPDined on 8/28/2014This was recommended by a friend and was our favorite meal of our 5 night stay in DC. Great food. Awesome service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Such a great meal but....FrequentFoodieDined on 8/26/2014I love Jaleo. I do. The service is attentive, the food is divine, but when did this become a place to bring children?! This isn't the restaurant's fault at all, but the screaming and running children-- from not one but at least two other tables was more than irritating. I'm not sure why the staff didn't ask them to control their children, or something else, but this was my only concern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing & DeliciousCat52Dined on 8/25/2014I went to Jaleo with friends. The evening was so relaxed with sufficient service to feel taken care of, but not intruded upon. The waitress recommended that we order 3 dishes per person, but we ordered 2 each and it was plenty. The food was really interesting and delicious. I never would have ordered dates wrapped in bacon and breaded and fried, but it was delicious. The hanger steak was to die for. It was such a relaxed and satisfying evening, I'm ready to return already.Special Features: