480 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: 2026287949
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday – Thursday: 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 AM – midnight
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andres; Head Chef Paul Yeck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Events team will gladly assist you in planning your gathering. Groups of 12 guests or more need to contact them directly to proceed in booking.
- Private Party Contact: Events@thinkfoodgroup.com 202-638-0202
- Special Events: Located in the heart of the Penn Quarter, the lively atmosphere of Jaleo DC makes it a great place to host a lunch or dinner.
For menus, pricing, availability and other information on events at Jaleo, please contact our Events Manager at (202) 638-0202
- Cross Street: E St.
- Public Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St.
We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Jaleo DC
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Jaleo DC reviews from OpenTable diners
559 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (381)hot spot (210)good for groups (203)special occasion (193)neighborhood gem (156)great for lunch (139)vibrant bar scene (122)notable wine list (95)great for outdoor dining (78)romantic (68)late-night find (61)great for brunch (55)kid-friendly (45)scenic view (11)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014The service was horrible, especially at the bar. The food is really good. Loved the black rice paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for true tapas peoplemuksonDined on 9/13/2014the food here is to Tapas what PF Chang's is to Chinese i.e Watered down. The bold and brilliant tastes of Spain have been muddled to something presumable more attractive to the mass market. And the service is in direct proportion to your table size. Big tables get good service, four or less, not so much. we wont be back.
- LovefoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014The food and service were good. It was very expensive and the atmosphere was visually very loud. I preferred Jaleo in Las Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic TapaswplandryDined on 9/12/2014We just returned from Spain and were missing tapas and sangria. While the sangria here is made with club soda (not authentic at all), it still tastes pretty good. The food, on the other hand, was excellent! Very reminiscent of true Spanish tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaleoAltoCatDined on 9/12/2014We try to get here whenever we're in DC. Everything is delicious! The best tapas we've had since Barcelona!Special Features:
- Getting Priceyboz65Dined on 9/12/2014This was my 3rd or 4th trip to Jaleo. It's a good place to take friends who have been gone for a time; the leisurely pace of courses allows time for "catching up" and other conversation. But the dishes are becoming overly-precious, in both senses of the word. A plate with a thin slice of cheese, two very small apricots, and a spoonful of sauce looks pretty, but it was barely enough to split with one other person. And it cost us $8. Three such cheese dishes, three entree-style dishes of shrimp, ham, and cauliflower, and two small glasses (one each) of sangria later, the bill came to $65. Service was impaired by waiters who delivered several of our dishes to the next table. I may not be coming here again.Special Features:
- Better than everJuliaz3Dined on 9/12/2014I've been dining at Jaleo for many years now and at times the quality has waxed and waned. Lately the food has been top-knotch and I've enjoyed it more than ever. Great selection of wine also. Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014This place is always amazing and the food and drinks are killer!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding -twice!MissIvyVIPDined on 9/10/2014We are at JALEO twice during our three night stay in D.C. There are so many choices on the tapas menu, we needed two nights to get the range of flavors. Dishes we loved: tomato gazpacho, fingerling-tomato-tuna salad, beef sliders with iberico ham (add on), Gambas al alijilo, and quail. So many diverse and wonderful flavors-all very well balanced. I've also eaten at his restaurant in Las Vegas, great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMaydayDined on 9/10/2014Picked this to meet and eat with a friend, had a great meal and everything tasted fabulous. Service excellent and knowledgeable staff. Would definitely recommend - very busy on a weeknight with lots of business folks and dates.Special Features:
- I wanted to like it. Really.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014NOISY. We both the overpriced sampler ($55.) which included a "course" consisting of a fried egg, another course was bread (most restaurants include bread a side dish instead of a full "course" of the dinner. The sampler is not worth it on the whole but service was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014Jose andres hit a home run here. Unless you've eaten there several times or have a specific item on the menu in mind, let your server order or bring items for you. They are ALL very knowledgable about evey dish and can tell you the origin and reason for every ingriedients in every dish. This place is more than a meal, it's a dining experience. WTG Mr. Andres and teamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GwenDined on 9/9/2014Very different food choices. Nice atmosphere. Wonderful spot for lunch and happy hour.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealfoodfan57VIPDined on 9/7/2014HI we were there for brunch. We had the mixed tapas Jaleo experience and it was wonderful. It was well paced and the combinations were good. One of the best meals in DC that I have had in some time. Truly remarkable tapas include the molecular olives, the mussels, and the bread with tomatoes (simple but unbelievably yummy and flavorful.) The pairings were well considered. We also had the white sangria with Cava and that was perfect for brunch and a table for four. Glad that we had extra time to relax and enjoy it. The pasta dish at the end was our least favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014The place was very nice paired by good selection of food. Might look inexpensive but once you start eating you will get carried away in ordering bunch of things than you normally planned. Try to stick with the specialty tapas and shy away from the regular selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & ChairsMartiuxDined on 9/5/2014The food & the drinks were great, but the chairs were so unconfortable than we have to asked to change them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatAcedVIPDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic food baby squid and bean dish and aged ham was wonderfulI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ConceptamdealbaVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is one of about three restaurants by Jose Andres in the DC area. Exceptional small plates, full of flavor and very innovative. Loved every bite of it!Special Features:
- Wonderful Tasting Menu!Traveller44Dined on 9/4/2014Was in DC for a couple of days and did the tasting menu at Jaleo. Joses tasting menu was amazing, tried tons of different food and did not leave hungry!Special Features:
- Just the thingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014The seasonal tomato centric menu was just the thing for a warm summer evening. Lovely, handcrafted cocktails and a well informed server resulted in a comfortable flow of excellent dishes. We could have dined quickly if we had chosen to do so, but good conversation over very good food made for two plus hours of pleasure. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Bad service.NoisetteNYCDined on 9/1/2014I was so disappointed with the service I received here especially having positive experiences at other Jose Andres restaurants. The restaurant was slow and more than half empty when I was dining yet the server was not attentive at all. She was difficult to find - I actually had to wave her down multiple times. She suggested wine that was 86'd. She let us sit with empty wine glasses when we would have ordered another bottle. She forgot to bring us dessert menus and never checked in to see if we were satisfied during the meal. I noticed multiple staff members congregating together around the dining room, especially by the host stand nearby my table. Food was great though. It's a shame to have it ruined by the service.
- Great Jose Andres find!NomiVIPDined on 8/31/2014Another wonderful Jose Andres find! Fantastic Tapas, and fantastic service. We were so happy to be here after, so many disappointments in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back is bestNancyDCVIPDined on 8/31/2014Cauliflower, potatoes, sandwiches, mini burgers, croquettes... the food was all great! What I can recommend is a table in the back - first it seems its like the last table in the whole restaurant :) but its quieter there, I really enjoyed it.
- DeliciousWineODined on 8/31/2014I go here every time I'm in DC. It is a must. Get the sea urchin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014We had a great server. All the tapas were delicious and the cocktails were top notch. We will gladly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo wins againenviraDined on 8/30/2014My cousin and I met for lunch at Jaleo and enjoyed it a lot. We both had the updated Sangria which they recently changed from traditional to more like a glass of wine with some citrus slices in it. I prefer the traditional but it was good. The steamed mussels were delicious and we had the toast with roasted tomato on top which was a bit saltier than I like. My cousin had the tuna salad plate which was full of very good veggies as well as tuna - and the mushrooms with garlic sauce - very yummy. Jaleo food is always interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- DisappointingDoodleDined on 8/29/2014We had fond memories of this restaurant from the days when it first opened. The food was mediocre, the bus boys kept clearing plates, overall I would not go back.Special Features:
- TashiVIPDined on 8/29/2014A terrific meal and we especially enjoyed the tomato salad that is part of the current tomato celebration. Where else do you see the kind of attention to detail that not only provides you with perfectly ripe, peeled heirloom tomatoes, but even the grape and cherry tomatoes were peeled and cut in half. All of our dishes were excellent, but the salad was the star this time around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of towners from MinneapolisBecklynnVIPDined on 8/28/2014This was recommended by a friend and was our favorite meal of our 5 night stay in DC. Great food. Awesome service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Such a great meal but....FrequentFoodieDined on 8/26/2014I love Jaleo. I do. The service is attentive, the food is divine, but when did this become a place to bring children?! This isn't the restaurant's fault at all, but the screaming and running children-- from not one but at least two other tables was more than irritating. I'm not sure why the staff didn't ask them to control their children, or something else, but this was my only concern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing & DeliciousCat52Dined on 8/25/2014I went to Jaleo with friends. The evening was so relaxed with sufficient service to feel taken care of, but not intruded upon. The waitress recommended that we order 3 dishes per person, but we ordered 2 each and it was plenty. The food was really interesting and delicious. I never would have ordered dates wrapped in bacon and breaded and fried, but it was delicious. The hanger steak was to die for. It was such a relaxed and satisfying evening, I'm ready to return already.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014A great place for eating with friends. The food is great, and sharing the food seems to encourage sharing everything else. I keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite DC RestaurantJanetDined on 8/24/2014After driving to DC to restaurants quite often from our northern VA home, I have found the one place that's worth driving in for over and over again. The food is unique and delicious, and the small plates allow us to try many different and unusual dishes. This time we had the toast brushed with tomatoes and topped with Manchego, stuffed olives, potatoes bravas (our fave), tuna and potato salad, gazpacho, bacon wrapped dates, chicken croquettes, chocolate hazelnut cake, flan and olive oil ice cream. We sat and debated if we "needed" to order more, and we would have if we weren't all stuffed. Our server was knowledgeable and helpful, and the food came out promptly. We love this place and will take the hour long drive again gladly.Special Features:
- Brunch was greatKimCDined on 8/24/2014We met for brunch on a comfortable August Sunday, so we sat outside. It was such a pleasant setting despite a panhandler circling around & soliciting us! The food was great, the menu varied. We'd have preferred the usual brunch menu, but, because of their Restaurant Week offering, they weren't serving 'brunch.' Otherwise, it was a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Washington stopWesternfoodiesDined on 8/23/2014Fabulous find.multiple small plates great for sharing in a larger group. Pricey,but, you know that this is not a bargain going in. Knowledgeable staff help you navigate the long menu. Service was very attentive and pacing of various courses perfect making for a very enjoyable evening.restaurant is very trendy (aka noisy!) but one does not come he re for a romantic tete-a-tete.Special Features:
- Great Tapasjlb57Dined on 8/23/2014Great food, very busy and loud, but all in all, a good experience. Had to wait for over a half an hour with resos on a Sat. night and it seemed they didn't really care. I would def. go back. Have the paella and the chorizo with mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Very loudterryDined on 8/23/2014We had a drink at the bar and decided not to stay. We had the tuna Tartare cones and they are wonderful but $5 each I felt it was pretty expensive.Special Features:
- dc1763Dined on 8/23/2014Went for restaurant week, not bad but we should have chosen from the regular menu instead. They recommend 4 tapas plates but 3 is pretty filling and you want to leave room for the yummy desserts. Good experience overall, will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always something newDiningOneDined on 8/23/2014Excellent and innovative food and super service help make Jaleo an exciting place to dine, pre-theater or later. Noisy, so not the place for quiet romance, but certainly vibrant. Initial seating was poor (in a walkway for trays of food) but a quiet word and a request and we were reseated near the window. Nice catch. The wine list on an i-pad selection system did not work however, so we fell back on the "tell the waiter and have him get it". I prefer low tech, esp. when high tech doesn't work. Always new dishes and fun choices.Special Features:
- Great TapasRedhotmeDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed the tapas. Had mussels, bacon wrapped dates, chicken fritters, spinach, tuna potato salad, goat cheese on endive, and drinks. the mussels were our all-time favorite, tasting smoky and served with french bread for dipping in the sauce. Chicken fritters were interesting in that they had a soup-like consistency inside, but not much chicken. Potato salad was light and tasty with the tuna mixed in. I had their Sangria, which was tasty, not too sweet. Would highly recommend as the menu is large and the wait staff seemed very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.