Jaleo Crystal City
2250 A Crystal Drive
Arlington, VA 22202Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Jaleo Crystal City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: 7034138181
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30 AM - 10:00 PM Friday & Saturday: 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM Sunday: 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM Jaleo Hour: Monday - Sunday: 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM, bar only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andrés; Head Chef, Drew Terp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The authentic cuisine,delectable flavors and creative touches of celebrated chef Jose Andres are now available for your party. Impress your guests with catering on a new level. Visit www.joseandrescatering.com or call 202.638.0202 for more information.
- Special Events: Jaleo Hour: Mon-Sun, 4:30-7:00 PM in our bar, $4 tapas, half-priced wines, $4 draft beers, and sangria.
- Cross Street: 23rd Street
- Public Transit: We are a 5 minute walk from the Crystal City Metro Station, located on the Yellow and Blue Lines. To reach us, exit the Metro, go left on 18th Street, right on Crystal Drive, and walk 5 blocks to 23rd Street, finding us on the right. Or come halfway up the escalator, left into the Shops, and proceed to 23rd Street, turning left to Crystal Drive.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two garages, one around the corner on 23rd, and one immediately north on Crystal Drive. Parking is complimentary after 4 pm weekdays and all weekend. We offer one hour validation for our daytime guests at the garage on Crystal Drive.
A word from Jaleo Crystal City
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo Crystal City - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Jaleo Crystal City reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (161)good for groups (118)neighborhood gem (90)special occasion (78)hot spot (63)great for outdoor dining (57)notable wine list (56)great for lunch (48)romantic (40)vibrant bar scene (39)great for brunch (35)kid-friendly (29)late-night find (22)scenic view (4)Show More
- Perfect!MelindaVIPDined on 10/26/2014You can always count on Jaleo for delicious food and great service. I highly recommend this restaurant for a fun, casual dinner. It's wonderful for hanging out and catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceFitFoodieDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I had a great experience here. Our service was phenomenal, and the food was delicious. We chose to do a beverage pairing with our tasting menu, and the selections the beverage manager chose could not have been a better complement to the great meal we ate. The food was a little salty, but I think that is traditional to Spanish cuisine. We will definitely make a point to go back here in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for tapasFranksDined on 10/23/2014Booked at last minute for meeting a friend from old college days, on their recommendation. Good food, if a bit skimpy on quantity for the price (yes, I get the concept of tapas). Noise level makes conversation tough, but no worse than other tapas barsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!!JimZDined on 10/17/2014The waiter made us feel right at home, entertaining us with his descriptions of the menu items. The dishes were brought to our table with the pace that we have come to expect at Jaleo! All of the food was devoured, with the exception of the frittata, which we felt was too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Jaleo!Katdog21Dined on 10/16/2014This place is on my all-time top-5 list! Love the liquid olives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great FunDinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014We went to Jaleo for our 25th wedding anniversary. We were warmly greeted and offered a glass of sparking rose. We then ordered from the pre-set tapas menu. We ordered the Chef Experience which consisted of 25 tapas treats. Each was absolutely delicious. The wait staff was excellent and fully explained each item and answered all our questions. This was a fabulous way to celebrate. The food was so good that my wife and I ate way more than we should have. Of course, I'd do it all again!Special Features:
- Hot spot in Crystal CityKimber2660Dined on 10/14/2014A beautiful, large space that's perfect for dining. But the food is really the standout. Went for the first time the other night with three friends from work. Our whole experience was wonderful - the food was delicious, the atmosphere was vibrant and the waiter was attentive. There were many dishes from which to choose, and since the restaurant serves small plates, we sampled several without feeling too full. We had the stuffed peppers (flavorful), fried cod and potato fritter (delicious), fried bacon-wrapped dates, patatas bravas, hanger steak (very tender), sesame-crusted tuna - all were delicious with the tuna being the only "miss". I definitely would return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014The two ladies at the entrance were very nice. The server was nice too but he looked stressed or annoyed and did not ask what we wanted to drink but at least we had water at the table. I felt the service was rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Our whole experience was fabulous - the food was delicious, the atmosphere was vibrant and the waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo 10/12/14BronxYankeeVIPDined on 10/12/2014I have been here before, and I like the restaurant very much. The food is authentic and awesome, and the service is great.Special Features:
- California GirlCaliforniagirlDined on 10/11/2014Jaleo is another one of Jose Andres restaurants, and like most of his places it didn't disappoint. The atmosphere is fun, the staff is inviting and attentive, and the food is great. There is a lot to choose from, and since they serve small plates, you can have a lot and not walk away feeling too full. We had the stuffed peppers, apple and leek salad, mini burgers, croquettes and one of the speciality hams - all were delicious. This place isn't fancy, with the food being served on glass plates and boards, but so worth it for night a fun and good food!Special Features:
- Food good, but too loudStardantzerDined on 10/10/2014Overall, it was so loud that it was hard to have a conversation - not idea on a first date. Although our server was nice, he seemed distracted and wasn't really refilling/clearing things from our table. The food was good, but unfortunately not good enough to overcome the volume in the room. The shining star of the evening was the wine which I grabbed from the Wine Shop over the bar prior to my meal. For a fruity red, the salesman recommended the 2012 Adrás. It was superb, and at $46/btl was a phenomenal deal - besting many French or Napa reds I've had at over $100/btl.
- Always goodgrtrxVIPDined on 10/10/2014Had a very good meal as I always do at Jaleo. Wish the paella came in smaller portions, but that is a minor twist to things. Wine list really worthy of deep exploration, not all Spanish wine is as you expect it to be. Waitstaff attentive, friendly but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Great PlaceMitchVIPDined on 10/8/2014The service was outstanding. The waiter was knowledgable, friendly and knew the menu well. He was very helpful and friendly. The food was tasty and outstanding. It was a great evening out and we enjoyed the restaurant. A great place to have dinner.Special Features:
- Great happy hour!!globeschlepperVIPDined on 10/5/2014Went for happy hour. Wines offered were good Spanish. Great assortment of tapas - enough to make a great dinner. Bill was extremely reasonable. Space was very open and modern. Good crowd for a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo Brunch!JimCVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have been to Jaleo several times in the evening and enjoy their very wide selection of excellent tapas. We decided to take a group of folks celebrating birthdays to their brunch which features all you can eat paella (limited selection - none of the seafood paellas -- but very good assortment of 3 or 4 different paellas to chose from). Also includes a choice of salads, cold gazpacho soup, and excellent flan for dessert. Priced well at $20 per person. We had Spanish wines and a ginger beer to drink. The paella was excellent and they kept bring it -- we tried at least one platter of each type. Recommend as a nice alternative to the typical brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!catholicmamaDined on 10/1/2014We've been to Jaleo twice so far, and the food is excellent. The service seems a little pushy at times, but they really worked to fix anything that went wrong (brought three cokes before we got one that tasted normal), AND they remembered we were celebrating a birthday and brought us a free dessert. I think we've only eaten one thing we didn't love... just be prepared to spend a bit. Without ordering wine, we were up over $90. For us, it's worth it for a special occasion :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousWendyDined on 9/28/2014I live in the neighborhood and love Jaleos. The Sunday night Paella special is fantastic and the food is fantastic! The outside dining area is always in great demand - sitting right out on Crystal Drive where all the action is the most fun - lots of people traffic. And it is busy on Sunday night. My friends and I dine here monthly because everything is just so perfect!Special Features:
- Pretty good tapasMarcelaDined on 9/28/2014Jaleo has a very good assortment of tapas, as their menu is pretty extensive. We tried some classics, like patatas bravas, pan con tomate, gambas al ajillo, flautas con jamón ibérico, and quail. All the tapas were very well done, if a tad overpriced, especially for lunch. Still, a pretty nice food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatdawmusicmanumitDined on 9/27/2014The service would have been perfect had it been a leisurely afternoon. I don't want to fault them too much. We didn't make it clear that we were in as much of a hurry as we were. The consensus seems to be that Jaleo is still good, but not as good as it was in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group dinner!LoansumgirlDined on 9/23/2014Brought a group of 9 people to Jaleo in Crystal City from a business conference. The communal atmosphere of ordering many small plates and sharing and passing food around was a great experience. The menu is extensive and authenic, reminding me of late nights in Madrid! Ordered two different paellas which were portioned and served by the wait staff. Ideal for picky eaters, adventurous eaters, dieters (as the protions are small) and those looking for a good wine experience. Highly recommended. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Great waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Our waiter was extremely helpful and we followed all his suggestions for which tapas to choose.Special Features:
- AOKTigresSKSVIPDined on 9/20/2014Jaleo was a fine restaurant; however, I was expecting the vibe of Chef José Andrés's Zaytinya. The service was a mixture of over-attentiveness by the server and sloppy bussing. The food was good: especially the flaun.
- Good but not for me.KyDaDined on 9/19/2014This was our second time going to Jaleo. We wanted to give it a second chance since it gets so much hype. The food is good, but the whole tapas thing is not my speed. Servers don't stop by enough to order not tapas so you could be waiting 30 mins or so in between for you next 3-4 tapas. This could just be the experience on a Friday night, the place was extremely busy. I would go back if a friend wanted to go. I don't think I would chose the place on my own though. I want to like it, but it's just not my speed, even as a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely try the tasting menuAnonymousVIPDined on 9/19/2014There are 2 tasting menus: classic tapas at $60 per person, and Jaleo experience for $70 per person. I recommend going all out and getting the experience. The server asked us if there was anything we didn't like. The dishes kept coming until we told the server we were ready for dessert! Do be careful though as we told the server we didn't want certain things and sure enough, we had dishes with both items! When we told the server and the manager they substituted other dishes and took the 'offending' dishes away. I can't believe how much food we got! It was certainly worth the cost. I think we got twice the amount of food than if we had ordered the dishes a la carte. I think everyone should try the tasting menu at least once!Special Features:
- Great tapas in Crystal CityKnoxvilleGuyVIPDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I have visited this Jaleo a number of times. What they do, they do very well -- inventive tapas and great Spanish wines. Service was good and we enjoyed everything we had. It was plated well, had good temperature, great taste. We had cheeses, rabbit, scallops, and dessert, with some great red wine. If you want a nice tapas experience, give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!Traveler14VIPDined on 9/15/2014The menu is quite large and takes some time to read and get thru which slows down the service a bit (nothing wrong with the servers, it just takes so long to get thru the menu to decide!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here, will come back !NussbobVIPDined on 9/12/2014I had heard mixed reviews from friends about Jaleo, so I was not sure what to expect. I took my cousin who was visiting from out of town and I wanted a place close to his Hotel in Crystal City. It was either Morton's for a straight-forward steak, or Jaleo to try something new. My cousin let me know he was willing to try something different, so we went. The service was outstanding, very attentive, great recommendations. The food was exceptional. We shared the chicken/mushroom Paella and it was delicious. We ended up taking half home because there was so much. The shrimp sauteed with garlic tapas had an amazing sauce that we sopped up with the bread. All in all, I will go back.Special Features:
- Very disappointedmandaleebeeDined on 9/12/2014My friends and I came to Jaleo for dinner and drinks before a comedy show later in Arlington. The food was outrageously overpriced (example: $8 for ONE slider) and nothing was so to-die-for to make it seem worth the excessive cost. On top of that, our service was sub-par. It was not an enjoyable dining experience and we all felt the restaurant had been very over-hyped. We won't be returning.
- Great atmosphereJYSPDined on 9/8/2014The restaurant is spacious and beautiful. The food was ok. Not the best, not awful. Everything was a bit too salty for my taste. Wine was good.
- Chef's MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014What a treat. We had four adults and did the $60 chef's menu. WELL worth it. Every dish was explained by our amazing waitress and we had more than enough to eat. Each tasting was excellent - the rabbit was exquisite and unexpected!Special Features:
- Not such a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/31/2014This Jaleo outpost has service that is brisk and businesslike, but feels somewhat disjointed. We went for the paella Valenciana, which we had enjoyed at the downtown Jaleo previously. It was not available, a shame. The chicken and mushroom paella was barely a step above Rice a Roni in flavor, although the rice was properly al dente. Our two drinks arrived separately; the one ordered first came last. The appetizer was a nicely balanced gazpacho. Our salads arrived 5 minutes apart. When (frustrated) we mentioned to the waiter our anniversary, they started to make an effort to provide thoughtful service. We ended up with a complimentary dessert and cava. It did not quite make up for a confused, disappointing evening.Special Features:
- SarahsamplesVIPDined on 8/30/2014Service was wonderful as always. The tomato and flank steak special was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fanfriggintastic!!!!MattDined on 8/29/2014I love this place. I love that we don't have to choose because it's small plates. The wait staff is cuteous, knows the menu and prep, and offered great suggestions. Did I mention I love this place?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.FoodieAnnDined on 8/22/2014Nothing memorable or delicious here We used the 2014 restaurant week menu. Salad with beets was large with many beets, but some had inedible and unsavory tops. Fried dates sounded great but were dry. Shrimp with garlic quite good; mushroom risotto under-seasoned and mushrooms weren't cut up. so they were hard to eat (they provided no knife). Salmon and pork plates good- it was amazing that protein sliced to 1/2-inch thickness weren't dry. Overall, food was mediocre Service was inconsistent-we had to ask several times for our beer and Coke--but generally acceptable. This is a large and noisy restaurant, but it was not very crowded so we were able to have a conversation without much problem. It was an OK experience; we wouldn't go back.
- Another Fantastic Evening at JaleoKathieDined on 8/22/2014This was our third time to dine at Jaleo Crystal City and the food was again, spectacular. Our table of 4 shared a few tapas to include the spinach salad w/raisins and pine nuts and salad w/watermelon before the Mediterranean Paella. The Paella was fantastic and after a few tapas, we had trouble finishing the dish.Special Features:
- Great PlaceYayFoodDined on 8/18/2014We love this place. I highly recommend it. It was restaurant week and with a table of four, we ordered everything on the special restaurant week menu.Special Features:
- Great food. Great servicegrtrxVIPDined on 8/16/2014As always service was very good despite a slow start with server having a bunch of tables closing as we arrived. Wine selection is astounding and very Spanish. Good always good. Server offered some off the menu items like Padron peppers and croquettes of blood sausage. Very tasty! Love the good and service. Wish the owners would refresh things like worn menus and restrooms that show a lot of use.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must for Restaurant WeekPaperPillsDined on 8/16/2014Jaleo never disappoints. My boyfriend and I enjoyed a visit during DC's August 2014 Restaurant Week. Each portion is the perfect size and prepared with attention to every detail. The service was a little slow but very attentive, and the serving staff is very knowledgeable. I recommend Jaleo any time, but especially during Restaurant Week when you can sample so many delicious dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly FillinggmustargazerDined on 8/16/2014We went here for restaurant week and at first, we were worried that we weren't going to hardly any food for the amount of money we paid. We were pleasantly surprised by how delicious and filling the meal was. However - I think it would've been better to forgo the restaurant week menu and order whatever we wanted since the "deal" probably didn't save us any money.Special Features: