Jaleo Crystal City
2250 A Crystal Drive
Arlington, VA 22202Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Jaleo Crystal City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: (703) 413-8181
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30 AM - 10:00 PM Friday & Saturday: 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM Sunday: 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM Jaleo Hour: Monday - Sunday: 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM, bar only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andrés; Head Chef, Drew Terp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The authentic cuisine,delectable flavors and creative touches of celebrated chef Jose Andres are now available for your party. Impress your guests with catering on a new level. Visit www.joseandrescatering.com or call 202.638.0202 for more information.
- Special Events: Jaleo Hour: Mon-Sun, 4:30-7:00 PM in our bar, $4 tapas, half-priced wines, $4 draft beers, and sangria.
- Cross Street: 23rd Street
- Public Transit: We are a 5 minute walk from the Crystal City Metro Station, located on the Yellow and Blue Lines. To reach us, exit the Metro, go left on 18th Street, right on Crystal Drive, and walk 5 blocks to 23rd Street, finding us on the right. Or come halfway up the escalator, left into the Shops, and proceed to 23rd Street, turning left to Crystal Drive.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two garages, one around the corner on 23rd, and one immediately north on Crystal Drive. Parking is complimentary after 4 pm weekdays and all weekend. We offer one hour validation for our daytime guests at the garage on Crystal Drive.
A word from Jaleo Crystal City
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo Crystal City - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Jaleo Crystal City reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)good for groups (119)neighborhood gem (82)special occasion (77)hot spot (60)notable wine list (60)great for outdoor dining (46)vibrant bar scene (43)great for lunch (36)romantic (34)great for brunch (26)kid-friendly (24)late-night find (23)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/14/2014Fantastic food, especially those small potatoes that just burst with flavor. The Scallop special on a bed of squash purée was incredible. If you like sangria that is not overly sweet, try the red Sangria. Delicious! Only downside is that the service is so good that sometimes you find your dish collected before you have finished what is on your plate. My recommendation is: Don't put your fork down! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleel losing it's mojoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/13/2014Dined here several times in the past year and have noticed a disturbing trend downward. The food is still very good. The service most recently was pretty bad. My reservation got me a tiny table next to the bar. We each ordered 3 tapas and only two came before the table was cleared and dessert menus offered. When asked, it was obvious that the third (main) was forgotten. Both missing tapas came later with no apology. Chaos seemed to reign in the dining room. Sadly, not recommended any more.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedGeorgeDined on 11/12/2014We are veterans of Jaleo in the District and it is one of our favorites. This was our first time to Crystal City. Our visit convinced us that Jaleo, regardless of location, is the best tapas venue in the Washington area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum yum yum!FilmmakertoWatchVIPDined on 11/11/2014Jose Andres and his staff shine on! The crystal city Jaleo presents a variety of tapas and the paella is not to be missed. Place the order for the paella as soon as you sit down, since it takes about half a hour to make; it is presented in an impressive cast iron pan, served table side. Hot on my favorites list are the gambas (shrimp) and the fennel and apple salad.Special Features:
- Great ServiceJohnEngineerDined on 11/10/2014William our waiter was wonderful! He knew the wine list and menu very well. Made excellent recommendations on the both. Fun place to go with a group.Special Features:
- ErineatoutsDined on 11/9/2014Paella was too salty, everything else was fantastic. Music too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNATTENTIVEGoodCook2CriticDined on 11/8/2014Unfortunately, our dining experience was somewhat unpleasant. Being a 4-some that evening, and not having been together in awhile, we were hoping for a nice meal and good conversation to reconnect with our friends. It was impossible to appreciate conversation in such a loud setting and seated in the middle of 'activity.' Our round table was designed for two and too small for our collection of dishes. The staff didn't remove dishes when needed and we felt cramped and crowded in every way. My reservation request for a carpeted space, or space ideal for hearing one another talk, wasn't heeded at all! Won't be back for dinner, or with guests. Too bad. Food prepared well.Special Features:
- Terrificdws1Dined on 11/7/2014I liked it so much one night I went back with more family the next. It was just as good the second time around and I knew what to expect!Special Features:
- PleasantHaloxoDined on 11/7/2014Seating was intimate despite a crowded Saturday night. Staff was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety & Carafes of Sangria!2HartsDined on 11/7/2014The red sangria was delicious! We enjoyed sampling a wide variety of dishes such as rabbit, lamb, & tuna all in one sitting. The queso was not worth the money (or calories) and the slider was quite salty though. Our group's favorites were easily the tuna, ham & manchego pressed sandwich, rabbit, and green beans. Service was team oriented and fantastic from the hostess to the server's assistant. We wanted to cry when the bill came but mostly because some of the dishes were duds. Now that we know what this place does well we'll be sure to order lots of red sangria and all our favorite dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!AnonVIPDined on 11/6/2014Delicious tapas, good paella, and a wonderful evening out with friends made this a really good experience! Although expensive - and people have to be aware that tapas are meant to be shared around, so order a couple per person - it was totally worth it. Would definitely go there again for a special occasion. And - very good, very smooth sangria, best I've had.Special Features:
- Best tapas ever!fdr75Dined on 11/6/2014From the moment you're greeted to the last bite of desert, it's ecstasy. Phenomenal wine and cocktail list, a cornucopia of tapas freshly prepared. This place is a must stop. Lunch menu looks amazing and can't wait to go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick to the city!JosefrVIPDined on 11/5/2014Love jaleo in dc the burbs not so much. Too loud feels like eating in an airport terminalSpecial Features:
- Dinner at Jaleo did not disappointamw4Dined on 11/4/2014The food was fantastic. We had endive, dates, quail, and lamb among other things. The desserts were also fantastic. Service was prompt and above average. Will be back!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceenjoyfoodDined on 11/3/2014Most of the food at Jaleo was excellent. We enjoyed four dishes: onions w/ blue cheese & pine nuts; crab salad; stuffed peppers; small potatoes w/ pesto & another sauce. The other two we chose were mistakes: shrimp paella (small plate menu) & daily special of fried baby shrimp w/ egg. Without the egg it was too salty & bland; we didn't finish it. The shrimp paella had just a couple of small shrimp w/ garlic sauce. The garlic sauce was tasty but not enough of it; the small noodles were dry and bland, no flavor; should be taken off the menu; two other tables left most of the dish too. Given the high quality and flavor of the four other dishes we were greatly disappointed in these two. But the other dishes were high quality and delicious!Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food and service were outstanding. The wine list was excellent! Our waiter did a great job staging our courses. The food was creative and imaginative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place - fun foodWestonerVIPDined on 11/1/2014Tapas are always fun. And the food at Jaleo isn't any different. They have a great selection of small plates (fish, meat, and vegetarian) and they have a number of entree items. Their sangria is awesome; both the white and the red (although their white is better).Special Features:
- GoodJuliaDined on 10/29/2014Even though I couldn't understand the menu well... the food is really good. I really suggest the salty baby potatoes.Special Features:
- Perfect!MelindaVIPDined on 10/26/2014You can always count on Jaleo for delicious food and great service. I highly recommend this restaurant for a fun, casual dinner. It's wonderful for hanging out and catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceFitFoodieDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I had a great experience here. Our service was phenomenal, and the food was delicious. We chose to do a beverage pairing with our tasting menu, and the selections the beverage manager chose could not have been a better complement to the great meal we ate. The food was a little salty, but I think that is traditional to Spanish cuisine. We will definitely make a point to go back here in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for tapasFranksDined on 10/23/2014Booked at last minute for meeting a friend from old college days, on their recommendation. Good food, if a bit skimpy on quantity for the price (yes, I get the concept of tapas). Noise level makes conversation tough, but no worse than other tapas barsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!!JimZDined on 10/17/2014The waiter made us feel right at home, entertaining us with his descriptions of the menu items. The dishes were brought to our table with the pace that we have come to expect at Jaleo! All of the food was devoured, with the exception of the frittata, which we felt was too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Jaleo!Katdog21Dined on 10/16/2014This place is on my all-time top-5 list! Love the liquid olives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great FunDinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014We went to Jaleo for our 25th wedding anniversary. We were warmly greeted and offered a glass of sparking rose. We then ordered from the pre-set tapas menu. We ordered the Chef Experience which consisted of 25 tapas treats. Each was absolutely delicious. The wait staff was excellent and fully explained each item and answered all our questions. This was a fabulous way to celebrate. The food was so good that my wife and I ate way more than we should have. Of course, I'd do it all again!Special Features:
- Hot spot in Crystal CityKimber2660Dined on 10/14/2014A beautiful, large space that's perfect for dining. But the food is really the standout. Went for the first time the other night with three friends from work. Our whole experience was wonderful - the food was delicious, the atmosphere was vibrant and the waiter was attentive. There were many dishes from which to choose, and since the restaurant serves small plates, we sampled several without feeling too full. We had the stuffed peppers (flavorful), fried cod and potato fritter (delicious), fried bacon-wrapped dates, patatas bravas, hanger steak (very tender), sesame-crusted tuna - all were delicious with the tuna being the only "miss". I definitely would return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014The two ladies at the entrance were very nice. The server was nice too but he looked stressed or annoyed and did not ask what we wanted to drink but at least we had water at the table. I felt the service was rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Our whole experience was fabulous - the food was delicious, the atmosphere was vibrant and the waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo 10/12/14BronxYankeeVIPDined on 10/12/2014I have been here before, and I like the restaurant very much. The food is authentic and awesome, and the service is great.Special Features:
- California GirlCaliforniagirlDined on 10/11/2014Jaleo is another one of Jose Andres restaurants, and like most of his places it didn't disappoint. The atmosphere is fun, the staff is inviting and attentive, and the food is great. There is a lot to choose from, and since they serve small plates, you can have a lot and not walk away feeling too full. We had the stuffed peppers, apple and leek salad, mini burgers, croquettes and one of the speciality hams - all were delicious. This place isn't fancy, with the food being served on glass plates and boards, but so worth it for night a fun and good food!Special Features:
- Food good, but too loudStardantzerDined on 10/10/2014Overall, it was so loud that it was hard to have a conversation - not idea on a first date. Although our server was nice, he seemed distracted and wasn't really refilling/clearing things from our table. The food was good, but unfortunately not good enough to overcome the volume in the room. The shining star of the evening was the wine which I grabbed from the Wine Shop over the bar prior to my meal. For a fruity red, the salesman recommended the 2012 Adrás. It was superb, and at $46/btl was a phenomenal deal - besting many French or Napa reds I've had at over $100/btl.
- Always goodgrtrxVIPDined on 10/10/2014Had a very good meal as I always do at Jaleo. Wish the paella came in smaller portions, but that is a minor twist to things. Wine list really worthy of deep exploration, not all Spanish wine is as you expect it to be. Waitstaff attentive, friendly but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Great PlaceMitchVIPDined on 10/8/2014The service was outstanding. The waiter was knowledgable, friendly and knew the menu well. He was very helpful and friendly. The food was tasty and outstanding. It was a great evening out and we enjoyed the restaurant. A great place to have dinner.Special Features:
- Great happy hour!!globeschlepperVIPDined on 10/5/2014Went for happy hour. Wines offered were good Spanish. Great assortment of tapas - enough to make a great dinner. Bill was extremely reasonable. Space was very open and modern. Good crowd for a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaleo Brunch!JimCVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have been to Jaleo several times in the evening and enjoy their very wide selection of excellent tapas. We decided to take a group of folks celebrating birthdays to their brunch which features all you can eat paella (limited selection - none of the seafood paellas -- but very good assortment of 3 or 4 different paellas to chose from). Also includes a choice of salads, cold gazpacho soup, and excellent flan for dessert. Priced well at $20 per person. We had Spanish wines and a ginger beer to drink. The paella was excellent and they kept bring it -- we tried at least one platter of each type. Recommend as a nice alternative to the typical brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!catholicmamaDined on 10/1/2014We've been to Jaleo twice so far, and the food is excellent. The service seems a little pushy at times, but they really worked to fix anything that went wrong (brought three cokes before we got one that tasted normal), AND they remembered we were celebrating a birthday and brought us a free dessert. I think we've only eaten one thing we didn't love... just be prepared to spend a bit. Without ordering wine, we were up over $90. For us, it's worth it for a special occasion :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousWendyDined on 9/28/2014I live in the neighborhood and love Jaleos. The Sunday night Paella special is fantastic and the food is fantastic! The outside dining area is always in great demand - sitting right out on Crystal Drive where all the action is the most fun - lots of people traffic. And it is busy on Sunday night. My friends and I dine here monthly because everything is just so perfect!Special Features:
- Pretty good tapasMarcelaDined on 9/28/2014Jaleo has a very good assortment of tapas, as their menu is pretty extensive. We tried some classics, like patatas bravas, pan con tomate, gambas al ajillo, flautas con jamón ibérico, and quail. All the tapas were very well done, if a tad overpriced, especially for lunch. Still, a pretty nice food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatdawmusicmanumitDined on 9/27/2014The service would have been perfect had it been a leisurely afternoon. I don't want to fault them too much. We didn't make it clear that we were in as much of a hurry as we were. The consensus seems to be that Jaleo is still good, but not as good as it was in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group dinner!LoansumgirlDined on 9/23/2014Brought a group of 9 people to Jaleo in Crystal City from a business conference. The communal atmosphere of ordering many small plates and sharing and passing food around was a great experience. The menu is extensive and authenic, reminding me of late nights in Madrid! Ordered two different paellas which were portioned and served by the wait staff. Ideal for picky eaters, adventurous eaters, dieters (as the protions are small) and those looking for a good wine experience. Highly recommended. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Great waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Our waiter was extremely helpful and we followed all his suggestions for which tapas to choose.Special Features: