Jaleo Crystal City
2250 A Crystal Drive
Arlington, VA 22202Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Jaleo Crystal City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: 7034138181
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30 AM - 10:00 PM Friday & Saturday: 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM Sunday: 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM Jaleo Hour: Monday - Sunday: 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM, bar only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andrés; Head Chef, Drew Terp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The authentic cuisine,delectable flavors and creative touches of celebrated chef Jose Andres are now available for your party. Impress your guests with catering on a new level. Visit www.joseandrescatering.com or call 202.638.0202 for more information.
- Special Events: Jaleo Hour: Mon-Sun, 4:30-7:00 PM in our bar, $4 tapas, half-priced wines, $4 draft beers, and sangria.
- Cross Street: 23rd Street
- Public Transit: We are a 5 minute walk from the Crystal City Metro Station, located on the Yellow and Blue Lines. To reach us, exit the Metro, go left on 18th Street, right on Crystal Drive, and walk 5 blocks to 23rd Street, finding us on the right. Or come halfway up the escalator, left into the Shops, and proceed to 23rd Street, turning left to Crystal Drive.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two garages, one around the corner on 23rd, and one immediately north on Crystal Drive. Parking is complimentary after 4 pm weekdays and all weekend. We offer one hour validation for our daytime guests at the garage on Crystal Drive.
A word from Jaleo Crystal City
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo Crystal City - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Jaleo Crystal City reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)good for groups (101)neighborhood gem (79)special occasion (78)great for outdoor dining (70)hot spot (55)great for lunch (52)notable wine list (49)romantic (39)great for brunch (39)vibrant bar scene (36)kid-friendly (29)late-night find (23)scenic view (4)Show More
- Good but not for me.KyDaDined on 9/19/2014This was our second time going to Jaleo. We wanted to give it a second chance since it gets so much hype. The food is good, but the whole tapas thing is not my speed. Servers don't stop by enough to order not tapas so you could be waiting 30 mins or so in between for you next 3-4 tapas. This could just be the experience on a Friday night, the place was extremely busy. I would go back if a friend wanted to go. I don't think I would chose the place on my own though. I want to like it, but it's just not my speed, even as a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely try the tasting menuAnonymousVIPDined on 9/19/2014There are 2 tasting menus: classic tapas at $60 per person, and Jaleo experience for $70 per person. I recommend going all out and getting the experience. The server asked us if there was anything we didn't like. The dishes kept coming until we told the server we were ready for dessert! Do be careful though as we told the server we didn't want certain things and sure enough, we had dishes with both items! When we told the server and the manager they substituted other dishes and took the 'offending' dishes away. I can't believe how much food we got! It was certainly worth the cost. I think we got twice the amount of food than if we had ordered the dishes a la carte. I think everyone should try the tasting menu at least once!Special Features:
- Wonderful food!Traveler14VIPDined on 9/15/2014The menu is quite large and takes some time to read and get thru which slows down the service a bit (nothing wrong with the servers, it just takes so long to get thru the menu to decide!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here, will come back !NussbobVIPDined on 9/12/2014I had heard mixed reviews from friends about Jaleo, so I was not sure what to expect. I took my cousin who was visiting from out of town and I wanted a place close to his Hotel in Crystal City. It was either Morton's for a straight-forward steak, or Jaleo to try something new. My cousin let me know he was willing to try something different, so we went. The service was outstanding, very attentive, great recommendations. The food was exceptional. We shared the chicken/mushroom Paella and it was delicious. We ended up taking half home because there was so much. The shrimp sauteed with garlic tapas had an amazing sauce that we sopped up with the bread. All in all, I will go back.Special Features:
- Very disappointedmandaleebeeDined on 9/12/2014My friends and I came to Jaleo for dinner and drinks before a comedy show later in Arlington. The food was outrageously overpriced (example: $8 for ONE slider) and nothing was so to-die-for to make it seem worth the excessive cost. On top of that, our service was sub-par. It was not an enjoyable dining experience and we all felt the restaurant had been very over-hyped. We won't be returning.
- Great atmosphereJYSPDined on 9/8/2014The restaurant is spacious and beautiful. The food was ok. Not the best, not awful. Everything was a bit too salty for my taste. Wine was good.
- Chef's MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014What a treat. We had four adults and did the $60 chef's menu. WELL worth it. Every dish was explained by our amazing waitress and we had more than enough to eat. Each tasting was excellent - the rabbit was exquisite and unexpected!Special Features:
- Not such a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/31/2014This Jaleo outpost has service that is brisk and businesslike, but feels somewhat disjointed. We went for the paella Valenciana, which we had enjoyed at the downtown Jaleo previously. It was not available, a shame. The chicken and mushroom paella was barely a step above Rice a Roni in flavor, although the rice was properly al dente. Our two drinks arrived separately; the one ordered first came last. The appetizer was a nicely balanced gazpacho. Our salads arrived 5 minutes apart. When (frustrated) we mentioned to the waiter our anniversary, they started to make an effort to provide thoughtful service. We ended up with a complimentary dessert and cava. It did not quite make up for a confused, disappointing evening.Special Features:
- SarahsamplesVIPDined on 8/30/2014Service was wonderful as always. The tomato and flank steak special was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fanfriggintastic!!!!MattDined on 8/29/2014I love this place. I love that we don't have to choose because it's small plates. The wait staff is cuteous, knows the menu and prep, and offered great suggestions. Did I mention I love this place?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.FoodieAnnDined on 8/22/2014Nothing memorable or delicious here We used the 2014 restaurant week menu. Salad with beets was large with many beets, but some had inedible and unsavory tops. Fried dates sounded great but were dry. Shrimp with garlic quite good; mushroom risotto under-seasoned and mushrooms weren't cut up. so they were hard to eat (they provided no knife). Salmon and pork plates good- it was amazing that protein sliced to 1/2-inch thickness weren't dry. Overall, food was mediocre Service was inconsistent-we had to ask several times for our beer and Coke--but generally acceptable. This is a large and noisy restaurant, but it was not very crowded so we were able to have a conversation without much problem. It was an OK experience; we wouldn't go back.
- Another Fantastic Evening at JaleoKathieDined on 8/22/2014This was our third time to dine at Jaleo Crystal City and the food was again, spectacular. Our table of 4 shared a few tapas to include the spinach salad w/raisins and pine nuts and salad w/watermelon before the Mediterranean Paella. The Paella was fantastic and after a few tapas, we had trouble finishing the dish.Special Features:
- Great PlaceYayFoodDined on 8/18/2014We love this place. I highly recommend it. It was restaurant week and with a table of four, we ordered everything on the special restaurant week menu.Special Features:
- Great food. Great servicegrtrxVIPDined on 8/16/2014As always service was very good despite a slow start with server having a bunch of tables closing as we arrived. Wine selection is astounding and very Spanish. Good always good. Server offered some off the menu items like Padron peppers and croquettes of blood sausage. Very tasty! Love the good and service. Wish the owners would refresh things like worn menus and restrooms that show a lot of use.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must for Restaurant WeekPaperPillsDined on 8/16/2014Jaleo never disappoints. My boyfriend and I enjoyed a visit during DC's August 2014 Restaurant Week. Each portion is the perfect size and prepared with attention to every detail. The service was a little slow but very attentive, and the serving staff is very knowledgeable. I recommend Jaleo any time, but especially during Restaurant Week when you can sample so many delicious dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly FillinggmustargazerDined on 8/16/2014We went here for restaurant week and at first, we were worried that we weren't going to hardly any food for the amount of money we paid. We were pleasantly surprised by how delicious and filling the meal was. However - I think it would've been better to forgo the restaurant week menu and order whatever we wanted since the "deal" probably didn't save us any money.Special Features:
- Tapas SpectacularBlumGourmandDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful assortment of Tapas and desserts. Chicken fritters, bacon-wrapped dates, and pear sorbet was amazing. Vibrant atmosphere and great service. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal.threelions66Dined on 8/13/2014For the quality of tapas provided, very affordable and delicious. I would absolutely recommend it!Special Features:
- baileyDined on 8/13/2014Tapas are fun and a nice change from the usual date. Great was the calamari with rice and squid ink, chicken pieces, garlic shrimp, and goat cheese with quince jam toasts. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Restaurant WeekThe3CsDined on 8/11/2014We ordered off the Restaurant Week menu, and despite the limited number of choices for each course had trouble deciding on the dishes. Among the standouts were new versions of two old classics, lomo de cerdo and gambas al ajillo. The lomo de cerdo was served on a large caramelized onion, excellently done, and a large portion. The gambas now comes with a sauce that includes some fire, and was excellent. The only dish that was less than stellar was the new potato chips with cabrales cheese sauce. It was worth ordering once for the novelty, but we wouldn't go there again. The restaurant is noisy, but the tables are more spread out at the moment because some are moved out onto the sidewalk for street-side dining. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!WendyDined on 8/10/2014Everything about Jaleo Crystal City is wonderful - the food is great, the staff is excellent and very knowledgeable - even the bathrooms are superb!Special Features:
- DisappointingTXgirlfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014I have been to Jaleo in DC several times, and have always had great experiences. We ended up at the location in Crystal City this weekend, and I expected nothing less than a wonderful meal. Well, it was truly disappointing. The food wasn't that great. Our shrimp dish was so salty that we had to send it back. Other dishes lacked flavor. Our waiter was polite, but he was busy with other tables, so we didnt see him much. I will not be back to this location.Special Features:
- Great Go To Spot!!DjembefolaDined on 8/7/2014Jaleo is always consistant and a fun place to break bread. The atmosphere and service was perfect for a great night with a great lady friend.Special Features:
- Pretty goodSMfoodreviewDined on 8/4/2014Waiter was excellent and very informative. Had some interesting selections and overall was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely NOT gluten freebusinessluncherDined on 8/3/2014We selected Jaleo for our family celebration largely because of its gluten free options. One of our party has celiac disease and so he ordered from the gluten free menu. He received a substantial dose of gluten and was quite ill afterwards. I phoned the restaurant the following day to alert them to the problem, to alert the restaurant to their problem and save other diners this experience. the low level manager I spoke with was sympathetic, appropriately apologetic and kind. Her supervisor unfortunately has not deigned to return my call one week later. I can only say that I am sorely disappointed not only in the error clearly made in providing gluten to a diner with celiac, but also in failing to follow up. I expected so much better.Special Features:
- Remains a favoritegrtrxVIPDined on 8/1/2014I never thought I would say "make sure you try the ice cream" about Jaleo, but then I had the strawberry ice cream... WOW! The padron peppers are outstanding too... very good service, exceptional food, great wine.Special Features:
- Authentic Spanish tapasCokerGuy29Dined on 7/28/2014Made me feel like I was back in Spain. Many dishes I haven't seen outside of Spain. Great food, great sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed for first timeleebles73VIPDined on 7/25/2014We've been here several times, and this was the first time we were disappointed with our tapas. Of the 8 dishes we ordered, we each only genuinely enjoyed 3 of them. The others were just flat or not satisfying. It won't stop us from returning, we just know which dishes to avoid.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!MeritaVIPDined on 7/23/2014The combo of great food, great wine and informed wait staff always makes this restaurant a great choice. Also love how much Chef Andres cares for his community.Special Features:
- Wonderful From Beginning To End!JNK0721Dined on 7/21/2014My wife and I were trying to decide on a place to dine for our four-year anniversary. We had talked a couple of weeks prior how tapas fit our lifestyle better now (no big leftover boxes to take home and remember to take for lunch, etc), so I suggested that we go to a tapas restaurant. We have both only had tapas once each prior to this, at separate establishments. After perusing menus and ratings of several top-rated tapas restaurants in the area, we chose Jaleos for our special night. We were NOT disappointed! From the moment we walked in we were treated to excellent service, a great atmosphere, delicious food and just a wonderful evening over all. I will highly recommend Jaleos to all of my friends and co-workers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanks so muchDD20VIPDined on 7/21/2014I arrived early but was treated very well. Thanks for an amazing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as always!CGArlDined on 7/20/2014We love taking family from out of town her for special occasions - it has never disappointed! So many opportunities to try and taste and share. Whatever else you get, DO NOT miss the cauliflower!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2014We really love the Jaleo downtown, so when we had guests from out of town and could not get in to that branch, we decided to give the Crystal City location a try. Overall, it was a disappointing experience. The food was not bad, but it definitely was a step below the food at the downtown branch. However, the service was the main problem. Despite asking for replacement napkins after a spill, it took a reminder to bring them. In addition, it took asking for knives and serving spoons before they were brought-needs were not anticipated. However, the most annoying part of the service was the aggressive clearing of plates. The bus staff hovered and repeatedly cleared plates without asking before we were done. In summary-we will not return.Special Features:
- A true gem in Crystal Citydms11VIPDined on 7/18/2014What a joy to have Jaleo in Crystal City. We have been here several times and I am pretty sure there is not a bad choice on the menu. It's a tapas place, so ideally everyone orders 1-2 dishes and shares. We found that 5 items plus dessert was plenty for 3 people. And there are some reasonably priced good wines as well. The end result was a wonderful dinner for 3 with wine for less than $200, including tip & taxes. Our dishes included Torta Pascualete (sheep's milk cheese and toast), Butifarra (pork sausage), Conejo (rabbit) and mini-burger sliders. These are not necessarily recommendations...only samples of the many goodies the menu has to offer. You really can't go wrong here. Great service, too, and outdoor tables (weather permitting).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!RoniDined on 7/16/2014Jaleo never dissapoints. It's my "go to" restaurant for special ocassions or just because. The food is always delicious and the service is wonderful!.Special Features:
- Good!greattapasDined on 7/15/2014tapas are fantastic. Mojitos are delicious. had chicken paella - was incredibleSpecial Features:
- Great Spanish FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/14/2014Paella was great! also had several of the small plates...FAB! :)Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantGreatfoodBUTDined on 7/13/2014My recent experience - to watch the World Cup final - was not so good in that the feed to the TV screen was poor and kept cutting off. Definitely a disappointment to watch a sports final that happens every four years and have a tv that doesn't work properly. Plus we couldn't hear the commentary. Still, no complaints about the food, which is our family's favorite in the Washington area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectPeebsDined on 7/13/2014So I have been to the Jaleo DC location many times, and at the Crystal City location I have had about the same experience. Great food, great ambiance. The servers at Crystal City are perhaps less consistent with their service so its necessary to order a bit more at first versus at the DC location, but it's still an amazing place. 3.9/5 stars, for sure.Special Features:
- Great Tapas & Service!foody1Dined on 7/12/2014My husband & I were in DC for museum-going & specifically stayed in Crystal City because Jaleo CC was the only one of Jose Andres' restaurants with a reservation available at the time we wanted. We had previously eaten at one of the restaurants close to Verizon Center downtown. The service was exceptional (TUM) & all the food & wine terrific. We will definitely try other restaurants in Andres' group.Special Features: