Jaleo - Bethesda
7271 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Jaleo - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: 3019130003x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: We open daily at 11:30am*
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm*
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: till 10:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: till 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: till Midnight
Sunday: till 10:00pm
* We are open daily throughout the day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andrés; Head Chef James Gee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level
José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Entertainment: Jaleo Hour
Sunday - Friday: 4:30 - 7 PM
Saturday: 10:00PM - midnight
Available at the bar only
- Special Events: Our events team will be happy to assist you in choosing a menu from our events package and planning your special event whether a birthday celebration, corporate meeting, or office get together.
A word from Jaleo - Bethesda
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Jaleo - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Jaleo - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)good for groups (79)neighborhood gem (75)great for outdoor dining (66)special occasion (62)great for lunch (56)hot spot (50)vibrant bar scene (37)romantic (35)notable wine list (35)late-night find (28)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (6)Show More
- closeneighborDined on 9/20/2014Terrific meal as usual Tapas perfect and the best in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous. Do the tasting menuDavidDined on 9/15/2014We had a great dinner. Party of five for the "Jose" tasting menu. Everything was delicious and interesting. The chef came out to discuss our particular interests and likes/dislikes and customized the dinner. Service was attentive and friendly. Not at all pretentious. My wife and I had previously ordered a few dishes a la carte on another night which I realize now is the wrong approach. Surrender yourself! Let the chef decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent locations for TapasWrightDined on 9/13/2014Great food at this location. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Sangria and paellaVega12Dined on 9/8/2014What a great restaurant to share ethnic food with good friends. The menu is conducive to sharing and comparing. A carafe of sangria disappears quickly!Special Features:
- Dinner at JaleonicksimDined on 9/8/2014We arrived early, about 5 pm. We were promptly seated. We started with a cheese selection and wine, followed by a number of Tapas dishes. The waitress was very helpful in explaining the dishes to us. All in all, it was fun, delicious, and innovative.Special Features:
- Consistently Jose's WayGoVegVIPDined on 9/7/2014One of the reasons we continue to go back to Jaleo is that the menu is always updated and the food is always reliable (and very, very good)Special Features:
- Order the Jumbo Lump Crab saladTwentythre3Dined on 9/6/2014You'll thank yourself later. The salmon carpaccio is heaven and the gambas are a little heavy but the spice makes up for it on the back end. There's a grilled chicken with cream spinach and salsa verde thatch good but a little too on the char side but still pretty good. The drinks are amazing. The Jose Andres Gin & Tonic is so strong you may not need a second cocktail. Their Dark & Stormy is the best I've had in recent memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I used to be a regular of Jaleo-Bethesda but havent been in about 2 years. The food has gone downhill in my opinion. The menu options are still great, but I wasnt "wowed". The staple of tapas- Gambas al ajillo (Garlic shrimp) was subpar at best. The white sangria (you have to purchase a whole caraffe as they open a bottle of cava for it- was SO DISAPPOINTING. There was no fruit in the caraffe, and maybe 2-3 pieces of fruit in each of our cups. They used to have amazing white sangria so needless to say, this wasnt it, and at $40, it should be better. Needless to say, I wont be going back.
- foodieDined on 9/5/2014We read about Jose Andreas and his background as a chef. We were disappointed in the food. The food was mass produced, so the delicate flavors that come with the dishes are missing.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014I have been a faithful customer of jaleo since I moved to DC 18 years ago... I visit the restaurant 6-7 times a year...My favorite has always been the one downtown .. However, the other night I had a great experience at the restaurant in Bethesda. We tried four dishes from their tomate menu.. Great. The octopus was tender and perfectly cooked and beautifully presented.. The risotto con setas (mushrooms) delicious and al Dente. The peppers stuffed with goat cheese are Still my Favorite ! Last but not least worth to mention.. The service. The waitress was cortoueus, funny and above all very well prepared ... Lovely!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for FoodiesPsychwarriorDined on 8/28/2014We loved Jaleo! The service was wonderful, the food great and the ambience outstanding. Nice neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but slow servicerebelrebsDined on 8/22/2014We were a group of five including 5 kids. We had reservations but they seated us right next to busing station so we had servers virtually knocking over one of us every 5 minutes. The food was very good. We had a variety of about 10 different tapas and all were excellent. The desserts were amazing! The manager was really friendly. He came to interact with the kids several times. Our server didn't feel like being there. He wasn't unfriendly but not particularly friendly either. The bus boy was outright nasty. I still recommend Jaleo because I have been there many times and I know that the service isn't always this way.Special Features:
- Tapas with a twistManolinDined on 8/19/2014We had dinner for 4 at 6 PM on a weekday. The staff was very knowledgeable of the wines and recommended wines that paired perfectly with the dishes we selected. As frequent visitors to Spain, we enjoyed the balance of unaduterated authentic dishes and modern versions of classics. Sthe portions are modest but the depth of flavors more than makes up for that. If you eat slowly as intended, you will not leave hungry. Starting with Jamon bellota thru garlic shrimp and cheese ice cream, it all made sense and delighted us once again. Our favourite tapas bar is Nou Manolin in Alicante and this measures up in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Minute portionsMillsVIPDined on 8/19/2014I know this is a tapas restaurant, but the portions were miniscule for the prices charged. What there was, was delicious. At lunch, it is quiet enough to talk. However, the service was slow, although pleasant. Considering the plethora of restaurants in that area of Bethesda, I'm not sure this would be my first choice again.Special Features:
- Successful group dinnerotberburVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our group of six had a successful dinner at Jaleo. The food quality was very good overall, but some dishes out shined others. My most successful dish involved the least cooking: Serrano ham wrapped around thin slices of cantaloupe, with what tasted like tiny bacon bits sprinkled on top. By contrast, rabbit confit with apricot sauce was tougher than it should have been and didn't much resemble a confit. Very popular at our table was a dish not particularly Spanish -- sliders. Meal was lengthy and oddly paced; this may have been due to the fact we did not order off the Restaurant Week menu.Special Features:
- Excellent tapasJefe587Dined on 8/16/2014We've been a number of times, the tapas are amazing. Nice outdoor seating, appropriate but not outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go againCTfamilyDined on 8/16/2014Not a bad experience, but as a family of 6 it was too expensive and not great for kids/young adults, especially my boys who needed more food. Food was brought out little by little, which, if sharing the tapas, can work, but we had each ordered our own separate things, so it was uncomfortable. Fun and pretty atmosphere.Special Features:
- great food!newbiesDined on 8/14/2014I went with a group who had never tried tapas before and everyone loved it. The food was excellent and our service was just as great. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BretonDined on 8/13/2014As always Jaleo is an incredibly great bargain for those who enjoy unique, well-crafted food at affordable prices.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014Superb staff and ambiance with very good food....a Bethesda favorite!Special Features:
- I love JaleoluvsredmeatDined on 8/11/2014We came here for restaurant week, again, and it was great. I recommend the sangria. :) My favorite course from the restaurant week menu is the bacon wrapped dates - they are outstanding. The chicken breast had terrific char broiled flavor, the salmon was delicious and the shrimp were perfect too. For dessert I had the chocolate mousse, which was incredible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/11/2014As always, the food was amazing. The spinach and pine nuts were perfect, as was the salmon salad. The fried bacon-wrapped dates were interesting. they were good, but found there were too many for the serving, as the taste is very intense. The flan was perfect, and the trio of ice creams/sorbet were rich and delightful. Our server was perfect in every way, attentive but knew when to give us time and space. Thoughtful and provided spectacular service. This matters in the dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Wine + Servicefoodie4lifeDined on 8/9/2014We were excited to see that a Jaleo exists in Bethesda after recently discovering the gem in DC. We were not at all disappointed. Our highlights beyond the food was the extremely friendly staff- in particular the fabulous manager on duty last Saturday night and our incredibly outgoing and lovely server, Irene. We were welcomed promptly and took our seat on their patio with our golden retriever Oliver. The staff was accommodating for both us, and puppy. we can't wait to return for fantastic tapas + wine.Special Features:
- Food was good, service was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014Food and service were both good. The food is overpriced, but we went for lunch and the $16 lunch special is not bad.Special Features:
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/5/2014THe food was delicious and well presented. Having never eaten here before I was very happy with the whole dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!JP2013VIPDined on 8/1/2014My family and I went to Jaleo for dinner and had an amazing experience! The wait staff were friendly, the food came out quickly, and the food was absolutely delicious! We were seated in a corner of the restaurant, so we were able to hear each other well. We were also at a round table, which was perfect for a group conversation. My favorite dish was the manzanas con manchego, but everything was delicious! We ordered sangria and dessert as well, and everything was really good. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Good food, not so good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We were happy with our tapas choices. Like always fantastic food! However, we were disappointed with the service. Early in the meal, I had to ask the waiter three times before he brought lemon wedges. Thankfully, nothing went wrong with our tapas so our server was not needed. At dessert, we received our dessert before our coffee, which is normally not a problem. However, half way through dessert our waiter finally brings the coffee. I am not sure if he was making a fresh pot or he was too busy with other tables. At cash out, our waiter was missing in action. The host at the front noticed the long delay and took our payment. This was the first time we received bad service at Jaleo. We will try it again another day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/23/2014The canteloupe and proscuitto was amazing, ribbons of canteloupe! Everything is delicious and they have original wines by the glass. Server was amazing.Special Features:
- delectable seafood tapasOHBoyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Don't care about their sausage dishes, but all the seafood plates, secret sauces (shrimp & scallop), creative combination (crab meat salad w ittsy bittsy cauliflower tips), fresh mussels (I order this in all nicer restaurants) with not a single one spoiled, tenderly fried calamari, OH, will visit again!Special Features:
- Jaleo1marylandDined on 7/21/2014Always enjoy coming here. The huge variety of small plates means that everyone can find something they like.Special Features:
- My most favorite in the worldsussVIPDined on 7/21/2014Take note that I travel weekly. Jaleo is like our homing pigeon. I know I am back after a paella meal from Chef James. Recently went to Madrid and followed the Michelin guide from 1-9...ounce per ounce, our Jaleo was far better. The only difference was they served Marconi almonds and green olives with the apperetifs. Jose Andres and Chef James...I bow to your formidable talents!Special Features:
- JaleoRoosterDined on 7/19/2014Great Food and Service...tapas were on point and the Paella was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- SuperbOwaisTDined on 7/19/2014Great character and choices of tapas. the outdoor seating area was vibrant. Our server Kevin was exceptional and he recommended Lobster Paella.Special Features:
- tapas to sharetapasDined on 7/19/2014Great way to sample many foods with friends. We enjoyed the outdoor sitting and variety of foods. some were better for us then others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BethesdaDinerVIPDined on 7/18/2014The liquid olives can't be beat. They are highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- BCS1Dined on 7/18/2014Loud music on top of a noisy nvironment made the otherwise good dinner unpleasant. We arrived early (6:30), before a movie. The average age where we were seated (not in the bar area) was probably 55, yet the noise level was what you'd expect at 9:00 at the bar. Three od us had to shout to converse. Nearby diners complained about the racket as well. We won't go back for at dinner time, much as we like the food.
- Great food but sloppy serviceStraightscoopdcDined on 7/16/2014This is one of my daughter's favorite restaurants and she specifically requested it for a birthday dinner. The food was, as always, great. But our server apparently left halfway through our meal -- she was not feeling well. So, it kind of left is without a server for more than half a meal with long breaks between ordering additional food and getting water glasses refilled. In the end, we had to go to the seating hostesses station for the dessert menus and the check. So, just left on kind of down note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friend's birthday lunch celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014Jaleo is always fun; tapas are a very "sociable" food, inviting sharing, and I took a friend there for her birthday lunch on an uncharacteristically temperate July day, so we enjoyed the scene from an outdoor table, where most diners seemed to prefer sitting that day. Management quickly set up a table in the unused part of the outdoor dining area, and that filled quickly. Food, wine, service all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite place!NICODined on 7/13/2014Everytime my family and I dine at Jaleo we enjoy great food, excellent service and a warm atmosphere. It feels like home!Special Features:
- A great dinnerTapperDined on 7/12/2014Dinner we great! We where a party of six which made it fun to pick many tapas to share. They were all delicious, the only item that I would pass on in the future is the paella. My personal fav was the scallops. I'd give Jaleo 4.5 stars if I could. I'd recommend it for group dinners for sure. Go,have fun and keep the sangria flowing..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.