Jaleo - Bethesda
7271 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Jaleo - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jaleo.com/
- Phone: (301) 913-0003
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: We open daily at 11:30am*
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm*
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: till 10:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: till 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: till Midnight
Sunday: till 10:00pm
* We are open daily throughout the day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: José Andrés; Head Chef James Gee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level
José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Entertainment: Jaleo Hour
Sunday - Friday: 4:30 - 7 PM
Saturday: 10:00PM - midnight
Available at the bar only
- Special Events: Our events team will be happy to assist you in choosing a menu from our events package and planning your special event whether a birthday celebration, corporate meeting, or office get together.
A word from Jaleo - Bethesda
Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Jaleo - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Jaleo - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
230 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (150)good for groups (87)neighborhood gem (71)special occasion (64)hot spot (51)great for lunch (46)great for outdoor dining (37)notable wine list (34)vibrant bar scene (32)romantic (30)kid-friendly (23)late-night find (19)great for brunch (17)scenic view (3)Show More
- JaleosushiVIPDined on 11/22/2014The food came out too quickly and was so so nothing really stood out other than the sausage .Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant!Tosca123Dined on 11/19/2014Both the food and ambiance at Jaleo are top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for a first dateOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/17/2014Jaleo - Bethesda was a good choice for a first date. The waiter was kind, gracious, and, if it bothered him that we were chatting more than selecting from the menu, he certainly didn't let it show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time around was great!JoJoDined on 11/15/2014The host and hostess seated us in a nice table. It was ready when we were. Our waitress, Michele, was great. She was very attentive but always at the right times. She asked the manager to give us some information about the Spanish wines on the wine list. He was very helpful and we ended up with a winner. The tapas were great. We tried several from the Specials list and several from the main menu. All of them were great, including the spicey shrimp dish and the ensalada con congrejo. The pear salad was a great dessert a la European fare. The pacing was nice and the atmosphere was as it should be for a Saturday night-vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariDined on 11/15/2014I went to celebrate my first date with my husband 6 years ago and we had a memorable night. Service was excellent, very attentive to details! Food came out fast, though the restaurant was full and it was great. Ambience was perfect and we had a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wayyyyy too expensive.MarilynDined on 11/15/2014I loved the atmosphere and everything about the restaurant. The food tasted good, the waitress was amazing, everything else was exceptional EXCEPT the pricing of the food. Like. What is up with that?! Way too overpriced - didn't even fit your entire plate. Disappointing to say the least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fanT171Dined on 11/14/2014Loved Oyamel in DC, thought this sister property was a disappointment. Service was offhand and impersonal, the opposite of Oyamel. Tapas were expensive and not worth it. Looked like something you would find in a touristy area like Scottsdale.Special Features:
- Evening outTW13Dined on 11/11/2014We met friends and the four of us had fun sharing tapas and stories. It was a lovely evening in fun stetting. The food was tasty and enjoyable including amazing desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodMCatsVIPDined on 11/8/2014Tapas are still good. We especially like the datiles, pulpo, cauliflower with dates and olives (really delicious!), and butifarra (very tasty). Tried the liquid olives -- very good, but one is enough. Some tapas, like gambas al ajillo and croquettas, are better at another restaurant. Service was good and informed. Decor has changed within the past 6-7 months. To my taste, I do not like it as much.Special Features:
- Nice findCruzmandesignDined on 11/7/2014Rich flavors, many choices, not enough money in my pocket to try them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ Tapas ExperiencekevinatfmsDined on 11/2/2014Went on a Sunday evening for my wife's birthday. Arrived a little late due to her getting ready but they seated us right away at one of the booths behind the bar. Wife started off with a glass of sangria which she absolutely loved(i went with a ginger ale). Ordered some chicken croquetas(spelling?) which were fantastic. Crispy with a ton of flavor. Also ordered the endives and while my wife loved them, i wasnt a huge fan(not into stuff like that) but still enjoyed them to an extent. For our main dinner we each chose a few different dishes. The grilled chicken with the parsley puree was fantastic and the puree had some kick to it. Very delicious. Also had their signature shrimp dish which was great.Special Features:
- Not as great as it used to be butdinerDined on 11/1/2014...still a nice place for a special occasion. We went for our daughters 24th birthday- it's a tradition. Service was good, host crew wasn't very friendly because I think they were overwhelmed. They made very little eye contact. We waited 15 minutes despite having a reservation and being on time. Menu is same with all of out favorites. It may be time for Mr. Andres to look at freshening up the menu. Our server was friendly, but also seemed overwhelmed. All in all though we had a good time, just not as great as in past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brazilDined on 11/1/2014Excellent food; great service. Vibrant restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfriendly hostesesNotniceDined on 10/30/2014I made a reservation for two for 5:30, came on time, asked for a window table or a nice place, telling it was my companion' birthday. The two hostesses seemed to be annoyed by my request and claiming all of the window tables were reserved (they were, like most of the restaurant, free) , tried to sit us in between two loud parties. Finally after puffing and giving us unpleasant looks, they gave us an "aisle" seat. The servers were OK, the manager charming, food OK, Margaritas much too sweet, Mojito good. I much more prefer Jaleo Cristal City.
- Excellent RestaurantJessDined on 10/26/2014We had a pleasant dinner all nicely done. The food and service was excellent. Our waiter was so nice and he entertained us quite well. I give it a thumbs up. It's a good place to try a variety of foods!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too dimSpnzDined on 10/25/2014Fun place. service was excellent. The food was good. But the place was too dim - could not read the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FinedyneVIPDined on 10/24/2014Server was curt, abrasive and rushed but the food was great, especially the chickpea and spinach stew--very flavorful for a vegetarian optionI would recommend this to a friend.
- GillGillDined on 10/12/2014Good food, great atmosphere. Had a lovely night with friends here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The reservation didn't really workAntonioDined on 10/11/2014We booked a table for 4 at 7pm And were sitting by 7:30I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid and parent friendly!EatswithkidsDined on 10/11/2014Always looking for restaurants that I feel comfortable bringing my two kids under three but also has food beyond your typical kid friendly cuisine (diners, pizza and pasta). My kids loved the tapas. Tortilla espanol was a hit, as were the croquettes. And then we got to enjoy real food and drink! All in all an awesome family experience. We've always loved jaleo but now with greater appreciation. Thanks, jaleo for your patience and kindness! See you again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salty soupy paelladine7497Dined on 10/10/2014Dined there on Friday and had a paella that was simply rice and uncooked green beans, scant pieces of cod in a ghastly salty broth. It was inedible. It wasn't described as a soup but we didn't send it back as we both assumed we had made a mistake ordering until I checked the menu later. I wrote to the manger but received no reply. Very very disappointed - we are frequent diners there and like to bring our guests there. Not rushing back.Special Features:
- consistently goodcookieVIPDined on 10/10/2014We dine at Jaleo Bethesda once a week for an after-movie dinner, and every time the food and service are excellent. Although we always have one or two of our old favorites like the beet salad and the ham on flatbread, we enjoy trying new tapas, and the servers recommendations have been 100% reliable. Recent new finds include the braised lamb with potatoes and garlic and the pork sausage with white beans. The atmosphere at Jaleo is casual and relaxed. We have discovered that Open Table reservations are a must.Special Features:
- Jose's Way...the only way!sussVIPDined on 10/9/2014Head Chef James Gee prepared our tasting menu and we had the best meal ever! The pièce de résistance was the Lobster Calderoso (soupy Paella") and it took us back to Spain! We had several variations with Iberico pork, Mediterrean prawns, fresh anchovies, and more and more! For all the Jaleo fans out there...Jose's Way is a must!
- Excellent!CandLonthetownVIPDined on 10/9/2014We dined early evening and it was very quiet. Ordered multiple small plates and each of them were wonderful! My favorite was the Hanger Steak, it was unbelievably tender. The Flan with Orange Cream was spectacular. Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSpanishDined on 10/8/2014I think is the best Spanish restaurant out of Spain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas!!OneyearanniversaryDined on 10/4/2014Yummy Yummy! We took my cousin to this restaurant who is from San Francisco and she loved this place. Great selection of all kinds of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dininghappydinerDined on 10/3/2014This was the perfect place for a Friday night date. The chicken, shrimp, and steak were cooked to perfection and were quite tasty! Reserve ahead of time as Jaleos is very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassySuzy1VIPDined on 9/28/2014We've been to all three Jaleos and they are all favs ! Jose Andres is a marvel.Special Features:
- boothbayVIPDined on 9/28/2014Jaleo is our favorite tapas restaurant outside of Spain!! Whenever we are near DC or Baltimore, we go out of our way to eat here. On this trip we enjoyed shrimp, cod fritters with an amazing dipping sauce, anchovies (2 orders!), olives, cheese, and of course, Iberico ham. It was definitely worth the trip from Baltimore before heading home to NY. While many restaurants now advertise small plates, Jaleo is unique in that it is really Spanish tapas and our visits there always bring back wonderful memories of out visit to Compostela de Santiago and its tapas restaurants in Spain.Special Features:
- CarlosDined on 9/27/2014Great restaurant good environment, Very good service and above all excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantNB41VIPDined on 9/27/2014Jaleo experience this time seemed even better than other dinners there over the past 5 years. Service was quite attentive and food was extremely tasty, well-prepared and creative. We were there early on a weekend eve, before going to a movie, so noise level was moderate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/26/2014A disappointment indeed. We walked in to an almost empty restaurant and asked for a table by the window and were told that they had just sat another party in that section and couldn't put us by the window because the server would be overwhelmed. We sat down at the table offered, and I looked over and they were just seating another couple at the table I had requested. The service was slow, the food was mediocre, yet when we asked for the check, BINGO, we got that in no time flat. You may want to ask that the water server, stop coming over every 3 to 4 minutes and slopping the water into your glass as well! Very annoying. The NOISE LEVEL is TOO LOUD!!!
- Better than Jaleo in Penn Quarter21vekaVIPDined on 9/26/2014More relaxed atmosphere than the one in Penn Quarter - easier to get a reservation and not being rushed. Food very good. Service very attentive. Will definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Some of the best tapas I've eatenKathleeninTampaDined on 9/22/2014Jaleo was recommended by a "foodie" and it was a great recommendation. Definitely some of the best tapas I've had. We loved every dish we ordered. It's a bit on the expensive side, as I feel tapas often is. We ordered I believe 7 small plates (and they are pretty small!) for 3 of us, and it was $30 each, without any alcohol. I was hungry again by about 11 pm. I would have probably needed to order at least 1 more dish for myself alone to feel more satisfied. But the quality and flavor of the food was excellent!Special Features:
- closeneighborDined on 9/20/2014Terrific meal as usual Tapas perfect and the best in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as usualManolinDined on 9/20/2014This is our fifth visit to this restaurant, so while we are admittedly biased towards this type of cuisine, we also keep going back because the quality and service is very consistent and very good. This time was no exception, although the place was full the service was smooth and attentive, the wine recommendations spot on and the meal was once again very good. While we have tried some of Jose Andres' other ventures in Washington DC, this one remains our favorite for the total authenticity of cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all menu items hit a home run!sussVIPDined on 9/20/2014We tried something different this time. We tried more tapas and did not go for the paella. Some items should be removed as it does not stand up to the same quality as the others on the menu... The Bikini Jamon is way, way too greasy you head will spin. The Sea Urchin was too rich with butter - but the sea urchins themeselves were awesome. The Ensalada Capmera needed something to make it less dry as it came with no dressing. It should have an infused extra virgin oil as the tuna and hard boiled eggs combined make it very dry.Special Features:
- Always goodEwoharDined on 9/19/2014Though this restaurant can be a bit crowded and noisy, the service is always good and the food is exceptional. Where else can you get grilled artichoke hearts with an anchovy paste. Spent about $160 for dinner for two which included Four sangrias, a gran manier, a espresso and a chochalate mouse desert. Not cheap but worth itSpecial Features:
- Really Good Food in a Different Waybigeater587Dined on 9/18/2014The place was a not very crowded later on Thursday evening so we could all hear each other talk. The menu is vast, so we picked a few things and then listened to our waiter who had made excellent suggestions. The Coliflor salteada con aceitunas y dátiles (Sautéed cauliflower with dates and olives) was a big favorite, but everything was just delicious.Special Features:
- Fabulous. Do the tasting menuDavidDined on 9/15/2014We had a great dinner. Party of five for the "Jose" tasting menu. Everything was delicious and interesting. The chef came out to discuss our particular interests and likes/dislikes and customized the dinner. Service was attentive and friendly. Not at all pretentious. My wife and I had previously ordered a few dishes a la carte on another night which I realize now is the wrong approach. Surrender yourself! Let the chef decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.