Jake's on the Lake
780 North Lake Boulevard
Tahoe City, CA 96145Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Jake's on the Lake
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jakestahoe.com/
- Phone: 5305830188
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30-3:30 Dinner Nightly: 5:00-9:00 Special Events: Alpenglow Dinners: Daily 5:00-6:00 3 course dinner for $29 Late Night Happy Hour: Sun.-Thurs. 9:00pm-11:00pm **Happy Hour and Alpenglow Dinner offers are seasonal, holiday periods excluded.**
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Scott Yorkey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Jake's on the Lake offers party platters to-go featuring appetizers from our menu. Off-site catering is also available for your private party needs. Please contact us for availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Jake's on the Lake offers two dining rooms available for private parties. The lakeroom provides seating for up to 55 guests and a spectacular view of Lake Tahoe. The fireplace room provides an intimate atmosphere for your party of up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Danielle McCord 5305830188
- Entertainment: Jake's on the Lake offers live music every Friday night (and Saturdays during peak seasons).
A word from Jake's on the Lake
Since 1978, Jake's on the Lake has embodied a carefree Tahoe spirit in a "Classic Waterfront Grill" offering superb service, a friendly and casual atmosphere and the finest and freshest food. Located on the waterfront in the heart of Tahoe City, Jake's boasts sweeping views of Lake Tahoe's crystalline water and stunning mountain vistas. The restaurant's classic waterfront grill menu showcases Californian Cuisine with infused flavors, innovative ingredients and exciting presentations. The menu features an impressive selection of fresh fish and seafood including exotic Hawaiian fish, shellfish, and steaks. In addition, Jake's seafood bar is a popular favorite with locals and visitors alike. Overlooking the largest marina on the northwest shore of Lake Tahoe, Jake's is in the center of Tahoe's summer activities and just minutes away from winter skiing at Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows. Please feel free to contact us if you are having difficulty making an online reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jake's on the Lake reviews from OpenTable diners
- Fab 50 celebration!KSHRDined on 10/12/2013From beginning to end, the experience at this restaurant was top notch. Our server bent over backwards to accommodate us, and the food was an absolute taste sensation! All of our guests raved about how great everything was. Our only disappointment was that we called well ahead of time and said that we wanted a table with a window view of the lake. our reservation was for 5:30 (pretty early!) but we got a very "partial view", set back into the restaurant. We got over it, and the food certainly is enough to draw people in, but this celebration was for my husband's 50th birthday, and I truly wished we could have had a table with a full lake view (as they did exist).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchMinBitDined on 9/21/2013Had not been there in almost 20 years. Service, food, ambience still delivers today.Special Features:
- avoid the saladslilypetalsDined on 9/18/2013great starter of pork cheeks/polenta, terrific halibut special of the night; Brooke is a great waiter--both personable and professional. Quinoa kale salad soggily disappointing, as was the Cesaer--uninspired. Location, location and location is what Jake's is all about.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2013Food was very good and almost excellent and as I am very hard to please I would definitely recommend this restaurant! The service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome sport in beautiful setting!LBStLouisVIPDined on 9/7/2013Amazing food, beautifully prepared and presented. Noting beat the service. Our wait staff was so exceptional. Our favorite restaurant of our entire honeymoon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views of Lake TahoeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2013Great views of Lake Tahoe - summer is great for sitting outside on the deck, even closer to the water. Great happy hour bar menu with very reasonably priced quality items (Filet Bites are a favorite). Very good wine and beer selection. Pretty easy parking once you get down toward the building. The bar area is good for up to 4 people to sit together - more than that becomes a challenge. The traditional seating is great, and very quiet. Very enjoyable every time we go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a dozen best-deck diningCLfromCCDined on 8/31/2013One of a dozen best-deck dining options at Lake Tahoe. Menu changes seasonally; the beet-heirloom tomato tart was a work of art! Menu choices decided us on Jake's over several other options...food was great. Lighting on the deck could have been better after sundown; I know we're not young, but even the under-40-somethings were having to peer at the checks to see what to tip!Special Features:
- Great views, excellent foodTBADGERDined on 8/27/2013Great views of LakeTahoe. Better than expected food for a "tourist " restuarant. Very fresh fish (trout and halibut), prepared well with subtle sauces. Hula Pie for desert is to die for, but one piece could satisfy 3-4 people. Prices pretty expensive but typical for Tahoe. Definitely worth trying for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7 for lunchJillDined on 8/21/2013Had a nice lunch. We were at an outside table, but it started to rain prior to our getting our food, and they had a large table ready for us inside. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great value, excellentmag1113VIPDined on 8/15/2013great food, great value, excellent service! Drop dead ambiance.Special Features:
- It's all about the view - food tooPVjenDined on 8/13/2013Jake's is a Tahoe City staple. It's lakeside location provides constant diversion and the opportunity for al fresco dining. The food is consistently good and the presentation imaginative. The menu is extensive offering something for every palate. Staff are attentive and energetic and anxious to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Great ViewAnPannDined on 8/12/2013Jake's has great food and excellent atmosphere and view.The service is inconsistent from one visit to the next. This time it was great maybe because it was a Monday. I had the center cut filet. The sauce was excellent. My wife and daughter shared the torn eau (spelling??) steak which they liked. Also had the pork appetizer ( 2 pieces) .. would have liked to have more.. Dinner roll was nice and warm. Kids menu is limited and not good for my 11 year old daughter who is too old for a cheese burger but too young for a main dish.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2013Service was slow, we didn't receive bread until we asked for it, and the chowder was lukewarm.
- AwesomeTahoefunDined on 8/8/2013Awesome view of the lake and mountains. Food and drinks were great and the prices reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on the DeckrenocyclistDined on 8/7/2013Our reservation was for 6pm, so with a table on the deck, we had views of the sail boats leisurely traversing the lake, later joined with the sunset over the western ridge. It was unseasonably cool, but the outdoor heaters took the edge off the evening chill. We started with clam chowder soup. The soup was tasty with potatoes and of course clams. The soup was good but frankly a bit unremarkable. Three in our party had the Trout. Now that was an amazing dish. The fish was well prepared with a crispy snap, and moist delicious meat. Combined with the shrimp & crab, crab cakes, what a great accompaniment. My wife had the short ribs. How can you go wrong with short ribs, they were nothing short of amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service staff seem tooOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/5/2013The service staff seem too young to handle the etiquette of good service. With a reservation, it took 3 different people countermanding each other to get seated on the deck and this was lunch. I can't imagine how much confusion there is at dinner. The food was marginal and my husband's salad was the size of a side salad for $16.We won't be going back to Jake's.
- Very disappointinglike2eatDined on 8/4/2013For $30+ per entrée, the dinner was very disappointing. The trout was overcooked and the summer squash veggies were limp and lukewarm. The steak was OK - but the garlic mashed potatoes were also lukewarm and flavorless. Everything was bland - salt was a necessity on every item, just to get some flavor. If just one of the 4 meals had been blah, we would have just said "bad menu choice" and move on. But all 4 dinners were equally lackluster. The outdoor marina was nice. Very average/sub par dinner - coupled with the high prices made it poor.
- Wonderful PlaceSpartanVIPDined on 8/4/2013Very good food and excellent service. Awesome setting and view. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Poor Outing at a Usual GemRobarooDined on 8/3/2013The closing dinner of our annual golf buddies trip to the Lake Tahoe area has always been to Jake's on the Lake and this past Saturday was no exception. The exception, however, was the poor experience we had this time. Things started well with wonderful seating on the deck overlooking the lake and the starters (highly recommend the clam chowder and the apple walnut salad) came promptly and were enjoyed by all. Then came an almost hour wait for our entrees, two of which were cold by the time they arrived. From that point on our dinner went into the tank quicker than a triple bogey dooms a golf round. After some haggling management made things right with a dinner bill adjustment. We will try again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lake Tahoe is inspirationallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2013Lake Tahoe is inspirationally beautiful, and Jake's places you right there to see and breathe it in. I highly recommend this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall goodLiamDDined on 8/1/2013Relatively creative menu, wine list decent, wait staff great, however they weren't well supported. Fantastic view of the lake. Would certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jake's is at the top of myNewJerseyCarolDined on 8/1/2013Jake's is at the top of my must do list when I visit California. The calamari so good, we order it before we even look at the menu. Jake's is so accommodating that we could substitute a spicier fresh fish to top my already yummie caesar salad. The chicken sandwich has an incredible sauce on it -- so good! The shrimp and crab melt is something I have order many times and every time it is outstanding. Love you Jake's!Special Features:
- Jake's...A gem on the lakeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2013Jake's is always my favorite spot for dinner in Tahoe City. Outdoor dining right by the shores of Lake Tahoe.about as good an outdoor setting as you could ever get. Staff is friendly and service is good. Food comes out fast, and most dishes are quite nice.....fresh and tasty. Always a great way to end the day at the Lake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful lake viewsCCGODined on 7/29/2013Very beautiful location I had scallops and they were delicious! We were a party of 8 and server was not very attentive. All water glasses empty for example. Besides the attentiveness of our server we all enjoyed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerRichDined on 7/25/2013Fantastic view and enjoyable food. We felt the pricing was a bit highSpecial Features:
- Memorable evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2013It was delightful from beginning to end. All aspects were great.Special Features:
- Dinner at JakesTable12Dined on 7/18/2013Sat on the deck for dinner ... Outstanding views and ambiance. Food was very good. Jakes handled a party of 10 well even on the deck. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lori (Laurie?) our serverGINAVIPDined on 7/6/2013Lori (Laurie?) our server was great! She knew the menu, knew how to moderate for a vegetarian, and was attentive even though the holiday weekend rush had arrived. Bravo Lor!Special Features:
- Great View, Overpriced FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2013I thought the food was good, but definitely over-priced for the serving sizes. I ordered the scallops and I received 3 tiny scallops on skewers and the cost was about $30. $10 per scallop when they were not much bigger around than the size of a 50 cent piece was not what I had in mind. My wife ordered the Ahi and it also was much smaller than the one she just had at Edgewood a couple days earlier. Definitely paying for the location as it is right on the water and overlooks the marina. However, we were seated at an inside table despite the fact I made a special request to be seated at a nicer table since we were celebrating our anniversary. It was the day after the 4th of July though so I wasn't surprised.Special Features:
- We have been going to Jake'sLambsharkDined on 6/23/2013We have been going to Jake's for years. We always feel welcome and the food is always great. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jake's on the Lake rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2013Awesome restaurant. Seafood and short ribs were excellent. Lovely presentation, service, view. Lots of deck and window seating (2 levels) for gazing at Lake Tahoe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Item Not on the MenuKTinSJVIPDined on 6/19/2013Go to Jake's for the freshly baked-to-perfection warm, delicious, light and fluffy rolls. I could have had an entire meal of just rolls they were THAT good!Special Features:
- Everybody goes to Jakes....but WHY?raingirlDined on 6/17/2013Jakes was perfectly fine. Nothing wrong, pleasant service, excellent view -- but the food wasn't memorable and had a decidedly Sysco vibe. Clam chowder was gloopy and salty without other flavor, fried apps were greasy (tasty as we scarfed them down, not so much ten minutes later). The clientele and decor was dated. I kept waiting for Magnum PI to come around the dark wood paneled corner. Hostess was hip and pretty and a little too cool for the place (and us, apparently). It's one of those institutions that was probably a blast in its day. We had a nice evening, our server was nice, and the view of Lake Tahoe was spectacular -- food and decor just felt tired.Special Features:
- Attentive server and excellent foodAlexisDined on 6/9/2013Server was very attentive, the food presentation and taste was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous Lakeview!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/8/2013There's nothing like Jake's on the Lake. Food is good, one great meal, one so-so. But outdoor dining can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ViewBayViewVIPDined on 6/1/2013We love watching sunset from the deck. Tou have to try the Braised Beef Short Ribs and end with a Hula Pie.Special Features:
- This is right on the westSuperbVIPDined on 5/24/2013This is right on the west shore of Lake Tahoe - beautiful setting & we watched the full moon rise! Venison appetizer was excellent. Idaho Lake Trout and Macademia Nut encrusted Halibut were both excellent entrees. And the bottle of wine was an excellent accompaniment.Special Features:
- Excellent diningBecsDined on 5/19/2013Our Server was so friendly and personable. He was so helpful with everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gem!DaveVIPDined on 5/12/2013Wth the view of Lake Tahoe, and good food and service, it is a great place for any occasion.Special Features:
- Good meal. A little pricyportlandvisitVIPDined on 3/31/2013Good meal. A little pricy for the value. Disappointed with the table given what seemed like several tables with a view.Special Features: