Jake's Grill & Oyster House
950 Walker's Line
Burlington, ON L7N 2G2Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
Jake's Grill & Oyster House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jakesgrill.ca/
- Phone: (905) 639-4084
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM;
Dinner: Sunday - Friday: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Saturday: 4:00 PM - 12:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ken Bradt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jake's Grill & Oyster House
Proprietor and Burlington resident Jamie Myers (The Big Oyster!) built & opened this popular restaurant in 1985 and remodeled in 1998 to become Jake’s Grill & Oyster House. As you explore our web site you’ll soon feel the comfortable & nautical ambience our guests have come to enjoy over the last 20 years. The restaurant features market fresh oysters from our two biggest suppliersContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Jake's Grill & Oyster House - Best Restaurants in Burlington ›
Jake's Grill & Oyster House reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (39)neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (25)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (13)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (8)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Awesome!Hungry1Dined on 11/18/2014Awesome food. Swordfish is fantastic. Went on a Tuesday and had the fish fry for 10.99. The ocean perch is really good. My wife had fish tacos which is her go to dish when we go. The service was excellent. Catherine was our server very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timeabcdDined on 11/8/2014First time customer. Excellent in all aspects and a very friendly staffSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014His meal was good, mine mediocre. Small portion of pickerel and overcooked. Very noisy environment
- Nice place but wouldn't returnMomoDined on 11/7/2014Had a reservation on Friday night and our table was ready early which was great. The service was slow (took a while to even get water). I ordered the fish tacos without ailoi and they came with it. The server apologized and they made me the correct order, but my husband was done eating by the time my meal arrived. The tacos weren't that good, but my husband enjoyed the pickerel. It is a nice restaurant, but wouldn't return or recommended. Disappointed the restaurant doesn't provide customers with a forum to provide feedback/comments.Special Features:
- Good Neighbourhood RestaurantEsterDined on 11/7/2014Nice neighbourhood restaurant. good location. Staff very friendly. service good. food was excellent. nice décor. very pleased with our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Served our group well!kulvrDined on 10/29/201415 ladies from the American Women's Club of Oakville can be a handful! Our group goes out to lunch at least once a month, and often the service for our big group is just so-so. I always have a reservation, but it seems these restaurants don't always plan the proper amount of staff to take care of us. Jake's did it right. We had two servers checking on us, so if one was busy there was another one close by. Everyone commented on the good service. I am a big fan of their fish tacos, and I think most everyone was happy with their meals. The crab cakes were just OK, taste factory made and warmed from frozen. But everything else was great...we'll be back!Special Features:
- A noisy crush far beyond vibrant!BuddyLoveDined on 10/25/2014When two large groups dominate the restaurant with loud and boisterous behavior, it's difficult to take pleasure in the hijacked ambiance. While we did not suffer as those seated next to them, I wonder what lessons were learned by management and staff during this evening? On a brighter note, the Malpeque oysters were a delight and the Seared Arctic Char Special a wonderful creation of culinary excellence and paired well with a VQA Riesling! Regrettably desert was a washout with un-served un-cooked creme brulees. We have visited Jake's many times over the years - I think we will visit again when normalcy returns. The Daily specials are always a delight, and the fresh fish is always prepared expertly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysjodihDined on 10/24/2014The food was excellent (mussels as an appetizer, and fish entrees) as was the service. Peanut Butter crème Brule is our new favourite dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent first visitJenyfyrDined on 10/21/2014Impressive wine list, generous portions, delicious food, friendly service. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- waynescottDined on 10/20/2014warm and friendly service, food is always fresh , owner and managers always interact with diners, one of Burlington"s best spots for close to thirty yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night outFood4thotDined on 10/18/2014Great experience at Jake's! From appetizers to mains, nothing to say but delicious. Thumbs up on oysters, scallops, chowder, and crab wontons. Our group of 6 enjoyed everything ordered...Menu offered many choices, you won't be disappointed. Service was prompt and friendly from start to finish. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Jakes - not the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014We had often driven by Jake's Grill and had meant to go but just hadn't gotten around to it until just now. Having said that, I was sorry that we had not visited sooner as we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. It was well presented and very tasty. The service was great and the atmosphere just right. Well done!!Special Features:
- DowntownerDined on 9/27/2014Good service and good food. Slightly pricey. Too dark but good for romantic dinners though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food for a fair priceMachuRobertsDined on 9/23/2014Food was good, it wasn't amazing, it wasn't something i would say will win any awards for fine dining experience or outstanding perfect on every plate...but for 25-30$/plate it was great. At the end of the day, it is an honest local restaurant with great food at a fair price...that's it. I had the Tiliapia (which normally isn't my favorite), which was suggested by the server - it was cooked perfectly and paired nicely with fresh, crisp vegg, and rice My friend had the Yellow Fin Tuna (rare), and said it was wonderful.Special Features:
- great placeeat2liveDined on 9/20/2014the service was quite good. the food was excellent and quite varied. Our friends from the USA liked it a lot too. I definitely would recommend this casual restaurant to my friends ! the seafood is very good. love the flavours they put into the grilled itemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experiencelumpygutsDined on 9/20/2014A group of 6 of us went for a late dinner and we were not disappointed. The waitress was fun and did not rush our meal. She was available whenever we needed something but didn't hover over us. The meals were excellent. We changed our order a couple times...added more oysters and a coupe appetizers when we saw other tables being served. Everything came out as expected and cooked to perfection. It was a busy night with no empty tables and several large groups. Some of our friends that had never been before commented that they will definitely be going back
- Pleasantly surprised4happycampersDined on 9/20/2014We were a party of 4 and were all loved it. I had been here many moons ago but had not gone back. Now we are glad we did because we will be going back many more times. now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood chowderbobfromfloridaDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful service , good solid food including the best chowder I have ever had! Very busy on Wednesday special nights.Special Features:
- senatorVIPDined on 9/5/2014Ordered fish & chips. Presentation poor. A large single piece of fish on top of overdone fries and sent back. Reorder came back with new fries but fish had been kept warm in the process and was now somewhat overdone. Tarter sauce and slaw portions small and not noteworthy. Need to work on plate presentationSpecial Features:
- FoodMartDined on 9/1/2014We were there for the rib special and the ribs were a great flavour , but they were not your fall off the bone ribs. Bit toughSpecial Features:
- Food was filled with flavourWatfordFCDined on 8/30/2014We tried the calamari grilled and fried. Grilled was beautiful, tender and flavorful. Seafood chowder was rich and creamy and filled with seafood goodness. Kids ordered the fish and chips and the fish was cooked to perfection soft and tender with a crispy batter. Loved the oysters...the choice of toppings to enhance the flavour of the oysters were great. Crab cakes were delicious. Overall a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent spot!HardToPleaseGuyDined on 8/27/2014We were a group of 6, and had a wide range of appetizers and mains: fresh oysters, salads, pasta, ribs, grilled calamari (hard to find!), mussels, and tuna. Everyone really enjoyed their meals. Service was friendly, professional, and prompt but not rushed. Our reserved table was waiting for us, right on time. Prices were reasonable. Decor and atmosphere were pleasant. Our only complaint, and a minor one, is that it was a bit noisier than we'd like. This is a really good restaurant, and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Service was bad. Food was bad. Special occasion not even acknowledged. Restaurant was both tired and dirty. Steak was chewy. Overall, a ripoff
- Very Enjoyable.2guestsDined on 8/8/2014Excellent food, more than friendly service....outstanding place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice neighbourhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2014Family friendly atmosphere with lots of specials and happy hour treats to chose from. Oysters seemed to very popular and seafood selection was quite good. Service was average speed but quite friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not-so-greatsanitaVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our second time at Jake's. We enjoyed it to so much the first time, but this time around.. not so much. The server was abrupt and cold. The food was only okay. This time we skipped the oysters (mistake) and ordered the calamari duo- which was very good. Unfortunately the loster and steak combo wasn't. The steak wasn't evenly cooked and very bland. The lobster was good, but similar to what you would get at Red Lobster. We should have stuck with the oysters. We may go try again and hope it's similar to our first experience, which was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 135 reviews are from the Jake's Grill & Oyster House reviews archive.
- Good experienceHappyguestDined on 7/30/2014Very friendly and efficient waitress, food was very good except for filet overlooked but taken off the bill. Lobster and crab were excellent.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014We have been here before and enjoyed the appetizers but not this time. We were at a table in the bar area and ordered a variety of appetizers but it seemed to take a very long time before anything was brought out- then it all arrived at the same time - which would have been okay but some of the items ie grilled calamari seared tuna and brushetta were barely warm. Likely it was not served until everything was ready. Overall Disappointed - not sure who's fault as the food is delivered by others but just not up to pay.
- AVERAGE FOOD AND EXTREMELY NOISY!FoodieQueenDined on 7/23/2014Tried this place for Taste of Burlington but ordered from the regular menu b/c only 1 of 4 entree choices on the ToB menu were seafood. Odd, since they're known to be more of a seafood restaurant and interior is nautical decor. It was impossible to talk to someone across the table without shouting. I'll get this out of the way - I have no complaints about the service - she was good. But the food... it was average at best. Seared tuna nicoise salad - the plating was lovely. But $17 for 3 very small pieces of tuna - and they presented this as an entree size salad. Grilled calamari was fine. Fried calamari was meh. Fried perch was flavorless as was the tartar sauce. Fries were overcooked. One of the rare times I regret a meal.Special Features:
- JohnBurlRes1Dined on 7/15/2014Service personnel were friendly and atmosphere was lively but not loud. Main course was good however 1.5 hour wait from sit down to serving of main course was too long. One of our party had to leave 2 hours into the experience. Chowder was luke warm, oysters and other appetizers were very good but....again delays in getting the food to table. Have eaten here 6 times over the last year, last 2 times with relatively similar experience. Would recommend Jakes because of the overall food quality, friendly staff and location....but at $70 a person, food should be served on time and all dishes should be served hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinnerTinaDined on 7/12/2014It was all about the seafood for my group...mussels, crab wontons, Lake Erie pickerel and lobster tails...absolutely everything was perfect...a real treat, and wonderful service to boot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs workKeithDined on 7/5/2014Stake was nothing special, wine was good, price was ok, staff was reasonably good. I just didn't find anything special about itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014We thought that the vegetables where a little salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014was a little disappointing..$200 dinner for 3 people and the food was over cooked. we ordered oysters, ahi tuna for appetizers and that was great. the main courses included lobster (great) & steak (asked for.med eare, got well done), Pickeral and Halibut dinners were tasty.Special Features:
- Fantastic place to eat.FoodluvDined on 6/15/2014We really enjoyed Jake's for Father's Day. We were a group of 7 and all the food was delicious. We will be back again soon. Man can this place cook fish and seafood perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BurlingtonFoodie81Dined on 6/13/2014My husband and I love this place. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is cozy. The happy hour specials are worth coming early for. Great for a Friday night dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable go-to placeAlCathVIPDined on 6/13/2014Jake's isn't a place for candlelight and hand-holding; it's where you go for well-prepared food, good portions, nice wine and plenty of hustle and bustle swirling around you. Service is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scotty88Dined on 6/13/2014went for my daughters 40th birthday....calamari,lobster all superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Jakes!YummersDined on 6/10/2014Great food! Good portion sizes! Everything is amazing :) Will go back again and again. Lots more to try off the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most recent visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014We had a very disappointing experience this past Sat. evening. We were behind several large groups. This led to an extremely long wait for both our appetizers, and entrees. no offer of anything complimentary while we were waiting. No visit from the manager. If you cannot handle large crowds without huge backups in the kitchen, perhaps you should tell your guests that you are full and not take so many reservations. We did appreciate the fact that when it came time to pay our bill, the glass of wine was removed.Special Features: