Jake's Grill & Oyster House
950 Walker's Line
Burlington, ON L7N 2G2Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
Jake's Grill & Oyster House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jakesgrill.ca/
- Phone: 9056394084
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM;
Dinner: Sunday - Friday: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Saturday: 4:00 PM - 12:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ken Bradt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jake's Grill & Oyster House
Proprietor and Burlington resident Jamie Myers (The Big Oyster!) built & opened this popular restaurant in 1985 and remodeled in 1998 to become Jake’s Grill & Oyster House. As you explore our web site you’ll soon feel the comfortable & nautical ambience our guests have come to enjoy over the last 20 years. The restaurant features market fresh oysters from our two biggest suppliersContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Jake's Grill & Oyster House - Best Restaurants in Burlington ›
Jake's Grill & Oyster House reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (24)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (15)fit for foodies (14)hot spot (12)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Best seafood chowderbobfromfloridaDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful service , good solid food including the best chowder I have ever had! Very busy on Wednesday special nights.Special Features:
- senatorVIPDined on 9/5/2014Ordered fish & chips. Presentation poor. A large single piece of fish on top of overdone fries and sent back. Reorder came back with new fries but fish had been kept warm in the process and was now somewhat overdone. Tarter sauce and slaw portions small and not noteworthy. Need to work on plate presentationSpecial Features:
- FoodMartDined on 9/1/2014We were there for the rib special and the ribs were a great flavour , but they were not your fall off the bone ribs. Bit toughSpecial Features:
- Food was filled with flavourWatfordFCDined on 8/30/2014We tried the calamari grilled and fried. Grilled was beautiful, tender and flavorful. Seafood chowder was rich and creamy and filled with seafood goodness. Kids ordered the fish and chips and the fish was cooked to perfection soft and tender with a crispy batter. Loved the oysters...the choice of toppings to enhance the flavour of the oysters were great. Crab cakes were delicious. Overall a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent spot!HardToPleaseGuyDined on 8/27/2014We were a group of 6, and had a wide range of appetizers and mains: fresh oysters, salads, pasta, ribs, grilled calamari (hard to find!), mussels, and tuna. Everyone really enjoyed their meals. Service was friendly, professional, and prompt but not rushed. Our reserved table was waiting for us, right on time. Prices were reasonable. Decor and atmosphere were pleasant. Our only complaint, and a minor one, is that it was a bit noisier than we'd like. This is a really good restaurant, and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Service was bad. Food was bad. Special occasion not even acknowledged. Restaurant was both tired and dirty. Steak was chewy. Overall, a ripoff
- Very Enjoyable.2guestsDined on 8/8/2014Excellent food, more than friendly service....outstanding place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice neighbourhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014Family friendly atmosphere with lots of specials and happy hour treats to chose from. Oysters seemed to very popular and seafood selection was quite good. Service was average speed but quite friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not-so-greatsanitaVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our second time at Jake's. We enjoyed it to so much the first time, but this time around.. not so much. The server was abrupt and cold. The food was only okay. This time we skipped the oysters (mistake) and ordered the calamari duo- which was very good. Unfortunately the loster and steak combo wasn't. The steak wasn't evenly cooked and very bland. The lobster was good, but similar to what you would get at Red Lobster. We should have stuck with the oysters. We may go try again and hope it's similar to our first experience, which was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceHappyguestDined on 7/30/2014Very friendly and efficient waitress, food was very good except for filet overlooked but taken off the bill. Lobster and crab were excellent.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014We have been here before and enjoyed the appetizers but not this time. We were at a table in the bar area and ordered a variety of appetizers but it seemed to take a very long time before anything was brought out- then it all arrived at the same time - which would have been okay but some of the items ie grilled calamari seared tuna and brushetta were barely warm. Likely it was not served until everything was ready. Overall Disappointed - not sure who's fault as the food is delivered by others but just not up to pay.
- AVERAGE FOOD AND EXTREMELY NOISY!FoodieQueenDined on 7/23/2014Tried this place for Taste of Burlington but ordered from the regular menu b/c only 1 of 4 entree choices on the ToB menu were seafood. Odd, since they're known to be more of a seafood restaurant and interior is nautical decor. It was impossible to talk to someone across the table without shouting. I'll get this out of the way - I have no complaints about the service - she was good. But the food... it was average at best. Seared tuna nicoise salad - the plating was lovely. But $17 for 3 very small pieces of tuna - and they presented this as an entree size salad. Grilled calamari was fine. Fried calamari was meh. Fried perch was flavorless as was the tartar sauce. Fries were overcooked. One of the rare times I regret a meal.Special Features:
- JohnBurlRes1Dined on 7/15/2014Service personnel were friendly and atmosphere was lively but not loud. Main course was good however 1.5 hour wait from sit down to serving of main course was too long. One of our party had to leave 2 hours into the experience. Chowder was luke warm, oysters and other appetizers were very good but....again delays in getting the food to table. Have eaten here 6 times over the last year, last 2 times with relatively similar experience. Would recommend Jakes because of the overall food quality, friendly staff and location....but at $70 a person, food should be served on time and all dishes should be served hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinnerTinaDined on 7/12/2014It was all about the seafood for my group...mussels, crab wontons, Lake Erie pickerel and lobster tails...absolutely everything was perfect...a real treat, and wonderful service to boot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs workKeithDined on 7/5/2014Stake was nothing special, wine was good, price was ok, staff was reasonably good. I just didn't find anything special about itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014We thought that the vegetables where a little salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014was a little disappointing..$200 dinner for 3 people and the food was over cooked. we ordered oysters, ahi tuna for appetizers and that was great. the main courses included lobster (great) & steak (asked for.med eare, got well done), Pickeral and Halibut dinners were tasty.Special Features:
- Fantastic place to eat.FoodluvDined on 6/15/2014We really enjoyed Jake's for Father's Day. We were a group of 7 and all the food was delicious. We will be back again soon. Man can this place cook fish and seafood perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BurlingtonFoodie81Dined on 6/13/2014My husband and I love this place. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is cozy. The happy hour specials are worth coming early for. Great for a Friday night dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable go-to placeAlCathVIPDined on 6/13/2014Jake's isn't a place for candlelight and hand-holding; it's where you go for well-prepared food, good portions, nice wine and plenty of hustle and bustle swirling around you. Service is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scotty88Dined on 6/13/2014went for my daughters 40th birthday....calamari,lobster all superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Jakes!YummersDined on 6/10/2014Great food! Good portion sizes! Everything is amazing :) Will go back again and again. Lots more to try off the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most recent visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014We had a very disappointing experience this past Sat. evening. We were behind several large groups. This led to an extremely long wait for both our appetizers, and entrees. no offer of anything complimentary while we were waiting. No visit from the manager. If you cannot handle large crowds without huge backups in the kitchen, perhaps you should tell your guests that you are full and not take so many reservations. We did appreciate the fact that when it came time to pay our bill, the glass of wine was removed.Special Features:
- Mmmm LobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/7/2014Again, we had a great meal at Jake's. They have a special Lobster dinner right now. It was fantastic! Our kids really enjoyed it too. The kids menu has a great selection.Special Features:
- FabulousjojoDined on 5/31/2014The food is outstanding, tasty, presentation is great, lots of variety and portions are generous. Overall no compliants ...everything from food to ambiance and comfort is fantastic.I do think a suggestion can be made with seating, some of the 2 seater are very awkwardly placedSpecial Features:
- Nice food, a bit noisyljgkDined on 5/28/2014Met the wife and daughter for a nice dinner. Picked the restaurant based on reviews and was not disappointed. Food was great. Good selection for both seafood and non-seafood lovers. The service was good considering the place was packed. I don't get to Burlington often but would visit again if I was in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014My boyfriend had the halibut and it was delicious. I had the seafood linguine, awesome, although I have had better mussels. We split the scallop appetizer, the flavors were good but the scallops were way, way, way overcooked. For a place that prides itself on being a seafood house I don't think that's acceptable. Good wine list and great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMegatdDined on 5/23/2014Chose this place based on other reviews and we were not disappointed. A laid back atmosphere, great food, and great service. Two days later and we are still talking about how much we enjoyed that meal! See you again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceSusabenDined on 5/22/2014We are never disappointed with the food or the service at Jake's. My husband had the ribs, which are the best in town in our opinion and I had the mussels and fries, which were the special that night. I also started with a delicious beet salad. It was just the right size for a first course. Service was prompt without making us feel rushed. The staff worked together to ensure that we didn't have to wait for our food, even though there was a large group in our area and the restaurant was fairly full. It was a relaxing, enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDaniilDined on 5/21/2014Great place to visit. It was my first time since I had been recommended this place years back. The food was excellent, and the service was quite good. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 114 reviews are from the Jake's Grill & Oyster House reviews archive.
- EnjoyedElleDined on 5/17/2014Jake's is in an unlikely spot attached to a Quality Inn. Would likely not have gone in if not for hearing great reviews. But this is a spot not to be missed. Really good oysters. Nice wine selection (lots of California but not much Ontario wine - a shame). We had good food and good service and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Oysters were great. The food was good but small portions for such a heafty price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belated Mother's DayBYSBYDDined on 5/12/2014My wife and I, her Mom and our 2 adult children enjoyed a great belated Mother's Day dinner. Our server was outstanding and caught wind it it was also our son's birthday and addressed with a surprise dessert complete with a sparkler! Food quality was very good (as always) and the overall ambiance was perfect.Special Features:
- Excellent food and quaility pricingloveatingout99Dined on 5/9/2014I had the best dinner there, in the last 3 years of dinning out. Excellent rib eye, great apps, good service, will definatly be coming back there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinefriendsDined on 4/26/2014Food was fantastic. Seafood chowder was the best I've ever tasted! All 4 of us were extremely happy with our meal.
- Good food; but noisey.JuniorDined on 4/25/2014The food was terrific. There a lot of children and the noise level was high.
- Great fishPeterDined on 4/25/2014We had the halibut and the haddock with fries. Both were very good.Special Features:
- Fish and Chips - YUMLatkaDined on 4/22/2014Wanted to try Tuesday Fish Fry and it did not disappoint. Shared a seafood chowder to start which was as good as the last time. Fish was really good and fresh and the fries were great. Glad we went. Staff was great.Special Features:
- Very RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014We booked our table online for a 4:30 sitting. We arrived on time only to be told our reserved table was not ready and had to wait. We were surprised at this as that is why we made reservations. We were led to our table and as we were being seated we were told that we had to be done by 6 as they had another reservation for that table!!! So, seated late then told we had to leave by a certain time, we felt very rushed to order and eat our meals to be out in time for the next round. Not too thrilled and not sure if we will go back!!
- Great foodRestaurateursDined on 4/18/2014Fish Fry specials were great and very reasonably priced for families celebrating Good Friday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.