Jake's Del Mar
1660 Coast Blvd
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Jake's Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jakesdelmar.com/
- Phone: 8587552002x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Duvinh Ta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jake's Del Mar
Jake’s Del Mar brings new American cooking to the edge – to the water’s edge that is. Located right on the beach in Del Mar Chef Duvinh Ta uses fresh, seasonal products as the inspiration for updating classic preparations of fresh fish, shellfish and premium meats. The lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch menus showcase clean, eclectic flavors and local, sustainable products that are complemented by Jake’s jaw dropping location on the sand. The nightly Chef’s Special is a seasonal creation that features the best seafood, meats and produce available and through the Legacy of Aloha program, Jake’s donates a portion the proceeds from the Chef’s Special to the San Diego Food Bank.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Jake's Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Jake's Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
440 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (389)special occasion (258)romantic (179)great for lunch (152)fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (121)great for brunch (111)great for outdoor dining (107)hot spot (104)vibrant bar scene (102)good for groups (79)notable wine list (51)kid-friendly (39)late-night find (22)Show More
- PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014While everything was fantastic, the portion sizes were significantly smaller than I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Fabulous food and absolutely over the top service combined with a fantastic sunset view as well as later with the lights illuminating the waves. Absolutely fabulous for a special occasion - or for that matter - no occasion at all -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014You can't beat the ocean view and the food was varied and delicious. More than just seafood if that's not your thing Our server was fun and engaging and we enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view!ChefDoeDined on 9/19/2014Gorgeously located on a strip of prime beach in downtown Del Mar. Be sure to make a reservation and get a table by their open windows facing the beach. The ambience cannot be replicated. The food is delicious, although I think the flavors are more developed next door at Poseiden. The shaded patio dining at Jakes cannot be beat. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good lunchnotlobDined on 9/19/2014Excellent fish - always love the fish trio. Whale watching a bonus this visit. Love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RubberyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Upon hearing that had my favorite Hawaiian fish, Opakapaka, I was so looking forward to it - but it was rubbery and bland. I wouldn't order it again. The other person I was with did not care for her meal either (duck), so overall it was disappointing and not as good as I remember Jake's to be from past experiences.Special Features:
- When in Del Mar......fork1and1spoonDined on 9/17/2014......go to Jake's; not to be missed for the excellent food, ambience, service and ocean view.Special Features:
- Terrific LunchMaryVIPDined on 9/17/2014We hadn't been to Jake's for a few years and noted that it had been renovated and is much sleeker than it once was -- a more modern look. We had a table right next to the windows so we had a great view of the ocean and all of the people who were boogie boarding and playing in the surf. I ordered an Asian-style pork sandwich and it was terrific. It had unusual flavors that all blended wonderfully. It was served with their own potato chips which were very good. I wasn't sure that cheese-embellished chips were the right combination with the Asian flavors in the sandwich but I ate them anyway. My husband had the burger which was so juicy that he had to eat some with knife and fork. He said it was really excellent. Very enjoyable lunch.Special Features:
- Best food everStaroftemeculaDined on 9/16/2014Beautiful settings and best waiters. Great food and great service. I have never taste the fish so good until I been to Jake's and Kimos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAKE'S DEL MARSANDIEGOFOODIEDined on 9/14/2014TOLD THEM UPON RESERVATION THAT IT WAS OUR ANNIVERSARY AND REQUESTED A NICE OCEAN VIEW. I HAVE BEEN TO JAKE'S MANY TIMES BUT OUR TABLE AND VIEW THIS TIME WERE SUPERB. SERVICE WAS GOOD AND THEY WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE OUR ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION SPECIAL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service!SlowdinnerDined on 9/13/2014The service for providing food was so slow: Waiting for order dishes, serve meals, for order desert, and for requesting a check, each step takes time. Waiting time was much greater than eating. No explanation of dishes.Special Features:
- Wonderful view, food and waiter!DarwinDined on 9/13/2014We had a 7pm sunset dinner reserved for our 11th year anniversary and Jake's did not upset! We had a wonderful ocean view table next to the window with a very kind "Happy Anniversary" card and seashell on our table. it was very romantic. Everyone there was warm and inviting. Most notably, our waiter Derick who was superb in every way possible. He was extrememly polite and knew the Chef's special down to the T. He recommended the 12oz NY cut steak with bacon jam and chimichurri and it was outstanding! Thank you for making our anniversary a thing to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jakes remains excellentCarolDined on 9/13/2014There is a good reason Jakes is always crowded. From the spectacular views to excellent food, it's a place to be counted on. There was a time when the food had fallen to just good but last eek it was back to excellent. The scallops were beautifully done! If you let them know you have a special occasion, they add in a mud pie with pizazz to top off your meal.Special Features:
- Love the new look, menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014We've been to Jake's Del Mar several times over the years. New interior and updated menu are great and the setting sun at dinner is not to be missed. Despite being packed on a Saturday evening, the service and food were great. We'll continue to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staffkn2014Dined on 9/13/2014I was expecting very snooty staff, but they were all very friendly. Great ocean view. Food was fine, but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavetheWaveDined on 9/12/2014Our favorite place to dine. Always great service, food excellent, view superb! Love the happy hour Duke's Mai tai!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over shadowedFridayfoodyDined on 9/12/2014The basic principle of make the seafood the star is lost. Too many things added to the dish when the fish could stand on its ownSpecial Features:
- favorite spotnotlobDined on 9/12/2014Great beach location. Excellent seafood. Live new menu and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food servicePadre12Dined on 9/12/2014It took a very long time to receive our lunch order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous, Great Wait StaffBigElVIPDined on 9/11/2014Terrific dinner with an ocean setting. Our waiter Daniel was fabulous and was a difference maker. Upbeat and knowledgeable. Great neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LinzyDined on 9/11/2014Such an AMAZING view and great service! Perfect location for a dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PSC1Dined on 9/11/2014Great view of beach. Good food. The fish is a little overcook. Very nice and delicious sauce. Overall taste good.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningChicconDined on 9/10/2014Make reservations online, and said"anniversary and window table" Showed up for res, and they were expecting us...position "A" table by the window with ocean breeze, plus a nice card wishing us a Happy Anni, coupled with a great server...Adam. Not too over the top with a forced personality....we like that. My wife is a vegan, and ordered the Quinoa medley...most restaurant's version of vegan usually miss the mark with her, and is hard to please, however Jake's hit the target with her...She loved it...ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular views good foodChrisDined on 9/10/2014Love Jakes however this time we were seated behind a large noisy party of about 25 people - it was so noisy we could not hear each other talking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suzanne's birthdayMartiniDined on 9/10/2014Outstanding service. Very attentive and pleasant. Food was very good to excellent. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Del Mar's Best!SuzyVIPDined on 9/9/2014The place to be which makes any night a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArnieDined on 9/7/2014Dining was fine, three of the menu items were not available at 7PM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another enjoyable returnKennyDVIPDined on 9/7/2014The updated interiors, those stunning beach views and a sunset to swoon for all made this return visit another memorable occasion. Service levels remain very good and the new menu and new wine choices have perked up the dining experience yet again.Special Features:
- Romance for all agesCommanderDined on 9/7/2014We always enjoy Jakes. It has been our favorite date spot for 30 years. It has a vibrant, young feel, yet still wonderful for the older crowd. The food is consistently delicious and well presented. We take our out-of-town guests to Jakes at every opportunity. I would highly recommend this beautiful spot by the ocean. Service is always top notch and friendly.Special Features:
- StuinSDVIPDined on 9/7/2014an excellent dinner... fine service... great view... killer dessertsSpecial Features:
- Not the dish I expectedChrissieVIPDined on 9/7/2014I ordered my all-time favorite of Jake's, Shrimp Scampi. They must have a new chef but it was very different from the old recipe. It was spicy served on some type of squash...couldn't really identify it. It was good but I wouldn't order it again. Never mess with a proven winner like the former recipe! The beet salad and fried calamari were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectLocalvoreDined on 9/7/2014Enjoyed a great time at Jakes recently - wonderful AND FRIENDLY service. Just one or two small issues that could be fixed by avoiding them: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are not good - dry dry dry and the lemon is only in the supersweet curd served on the side. Other diner's entrees looked and smelled wonderful and were much more abundant. Cappucinos arrived at the table without foam and the waiter apologized that he didnt know how to work the machine. At $3.50 per for a small cup, please try to get it right. Otherwise, fantastic - just dont order the Ricotta Pancakes nor the cappucino.Special Features:
- Nice but ....CadoxtonkidDined on 9/6/2014Jake's has been our place for anniversaries for several years. The food selection is very good but you do have to watch out for the occasional disappointment. The cocktail list is very short but the "champagne by the glass" is good quality. Recently, my wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and I chose a scallop entree. I really hoped it would be up to "Hell's Kitchen" standards. I was very disappointed that there were only three (yes, 3) small scallops on the dish and none had been seared on both sides. They were well cooked, soft and cooked right through, but I can't help but think that Gordon would have asked "where's the other two?" Nevertheless, Jake's is definitely one to put on your list.Special Features:
- Mostly GoodDearProfDined on 9/5/2014Very good food and food service; however, it took a long time to get a second draft beer. Apparently our waiter was not also our "beer waiter." The particular beer was gone but no one came to the table to inform us. Too noisy, but that is the case at so many places these days. On the rating sheet I think "Noise Level" should also include "Excessive". "Energetic" sounds positive, which may be for some, not for all.Special Features:
- LolaDined on 9/5/2014Enjoyable lunch. .. Good food, but somewhat surprised at the limited selections on the menu. Great service. .. Jack was our waiter and he could not have been more pleasant.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 9/4/2014Made reservation and when we arrived table not available! Very disappointed as this was a special occasion and we traveled 1 1/2 hours . Even with reservations it is first come first seated at prime front tables. Too bad they do not honor made ahead requests.Special Features:
- Celebrating AnniversarySangriaVIPDined on 9/3/2014We are vacationing from MI and enjoyed a scrumptious dinner at Jake's. Our table had a beautiful view of the ocean, the staff congratulated us on our anniversary, very nice touch, with a personal card awaiting us. I highly recommend the Brussels Sprouts as an appetizer they were delicious. Our entrees were perfect and we enjoyed a complimentary Hula Pie, over the top delicious.Special Features:
- Great timeTracyVIPDined on 9/2/2014Lovely view, phenomenal food and excellent service! Kudos Jakes!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/2/2014Always a pleasure to go to Jakes and this time did not disappoint. Beautiful view, terrific menu, great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Get rec!yummersDined on 9/1/2014My aunt recommended j's and boy I wasn't let down! The drinks and atmosphere was great! The food however I was super impressed - fresh and delicious! The eggplant bruschetta was to die for and I'm obsessed with Ahi tuna so I enjoyed some tacos and a salad. I will say the calamari was a tad bland, but not terrible. Perhaps the sauce was a but too sweet since the calamari wasn't salty...? They were out of some seafood due to the holiday and let us know upfront and apologized, but we still loved it! Danny was a great waiter as well! All the best! Can't wait to travel to one of their other locations! 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.