Jake's Del Mar
1660 Coast Blvd
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Jake's Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jakesdelmar.com/
- Phone: (858) 755-2002
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Duvinh Ta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jake's Del Mar
Jake’s Del Mar brings new American cooking to the edge – to the water’s edge that is. Located right on the beach in Del Mar Chef Duvinh Ta uses fresh, seasonal products as the inspiration for updating classic preparations of fresh fish, shellfish and premium meats. The lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch menus showcase clean, eclectic flavors and local, sustainable products that are complemented by Jake’s jaw dropping location on the sand. The nightly Chef’s Special is a seasonal creation that features the best seafood, meats and produce available and through the Legacy of Aloha program, Jake’s donates a portion the proceeds from the Chef’s Special to the San Diego Food Bank.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Jake's Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Jake's Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
432 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (377)special occasion (262)romantic (178)great for lunch (173)fit for foodies (163)neighborhood gem (143)hot spot (120)great for outdoor dining (109)vibrant bar scene (108)great for brunch (106)good for groups (88)notable wine list (44)kid-friendly (32)late-night find (26)Show More
- Always a lovely beach dining experiencenotlobDined on 11/23/2014Sunday Brunch menu is a lovely mix of breakfast and lunch dishes. Egg dishes are very elegant and really good. Lunch dishes are always excellent whatever day of the week. Service is first class and, of course, the scenic beach location is one of the best in SoCal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantYzmamaDined on 11/22/2014We have been coming here for years and have always had outstanding service and amazing food. I have been bringing my daughter here since she was a baby, and they have great food for kids as well. Check out the beach when you are done with dinner there is a boardwalk right out to it and it is all lit up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Jake'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We have been coming to Jake's for years to celebrate special occations. My husband grew up here and had prom dinner there. We still come every year to celebrate birthdays and other special occations. The view is amazing where you can sit an watch the waves while you eat. We have watched dolphins playing in the surf. The food is alway fabulous. Parking is easy with affordable valet parking. We love Jake's and plan to continue coming for many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014requested deep fried scallops. always got them before. chef declined order. two guests ordered short ribs, said taste was bland. ordered 4 cappacinos. three arrived hot, one cold. requested a hot one. waiter hinted we were doing something suspicious, but brought a hot one.Special Features:
- Apple PayCChang92067Dined on 11/21/2014I am a frequent visitor of Jakes Del Mar. Recently, I discovered that the reservation can be done via OpenTable, it saves me a phone call. In the last 2 visits through OpenTable, I do wish Jakes can make ApplePay available. It will make future visits even more convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here many times....jeubsDined on 11/16/2014Always great food and great times. The food this time just wasn't up to the usual greatness that we have come to expect and enjoy. Wasn't bad, just wasn't great. The Brussels Sprouts can be taken off the menu, very disappointing. Our waiter was quite good. He knew his job, however tried to get us to up our wine selection, by recommending something $15 more. I like to hear recommendations, but the $$ should be of a comparable value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner after the races...JmoneyDined on 11/15/2014Beautiful view of the ocean! Food was outstanding! Kobe burger amazing. Ahi was like a marshmallow.... Highly recommend Jakes! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, great service, great food!KathyTDined on 11/14/2014This has to be one of our favorite restaurants in the world! We arrived early to request a window table at sunset. Those prime tables are first come first served regardless of whether you have a reservation. So incredibly beautiful, watching the last of the surfers, people strolling on the beach and the beautiful waves that are softly lit while enjoying a glass of wine and appetizer. The service here is second to none, and the food as well. Our party of four all had seafood. The shrimp scampi was excellent! We also had salmon and mahi mahi. All very good. This place is never a disappointment! Pricy but not ridiculous. Well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veterans daysurfhapakVIPDined on 11/11/2014we love the surf n turf! received a free hula pie for my birthday.....yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud for comfort..............divin1Dined on 11/10/2014Having dined at Jake's before for lunch, we were looking forward to dinner there. Although our food was good, unfortunately our service was a bit slow and the noise level was so loud that we could not hear each other talking at our own table. If it had not been for the noise, I believe we would have enjoyed our experience more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014Jake's was a wonderful experience. The food was so good. Our server was very personable and efficient. Overall , it was a 10!Special Features:
- second timebequest33Dined on 11/9/2014this was the second time coming here and I did it for my birthday. The first time I went the service was bad but the food was good. Well this time the service was excellent and the food was ok. I had the turf and surf. The Lobster was ok but I thought the filet was alittle small and over cooked. I looked the mash potatoes and the veggies were excellent. Other people in my group liked there food and we all shared a beet salad, which was good. I would recommend this place but you need to come right before your reservation. The bar is nice but alittle small.Special Features:
- Avoid the RushJimmyVIPDined on 11/9/2014Went to Jake's following the Horse Races at Del Mar.....Avoid the Rush...leave the races early and enjoy a nice reserved table with an ocean view..otherwise...only pickpockets like the crowds you will encounter...menu selections were limited....view is not...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerfoodienatDined on 11/9/2014I requested a table for 8 people for a bday dinner with a window table if possible. They were great and totally accommodated my request. It was a great dinner with my family. Food was great as always. Service was a little slow, but the restaurant was very busy. I was extremely grateful for the wonderful evening, and will continue to eat at Jake's as we have for years. You can't beat the view also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating on the beachVisitiBostonDined on 11/7/2014Eating at Jakes is as good as you can imagine in having a great meal on the beach. Wonderful view, great food and great service.Special Features:
- jakes and open tableMEGANDined on 11/7/2014Jakes was fine but this web site did absolutely nothing for me. We arrived and no reservation was acknowledged nor any request honored. we ended up at a not so great table and had I known, I would have introduced new San Diegan to another restaurant where reservations matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SeafoodHappyDinerVIPDined on 11/5/2014Dinner at Jake's on a Wednesday night was another wonderful experience. I had the barramundi special and the fish was perfectly cooked, moist, flavorful, and delicious. My companion had the seared ahi and was also very satisfied with his meal. Our server was helpful and attentive, the water view was romantic, and the wine list was full of great selections. I am looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wife and I loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014We went on 11/5/14 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We loved it. Great food, great service, great view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jscmejscmeDined on 11/2/2014We had a reservation but it took a bit to seat us even though there were open tables. After alerting the hostess again, we were seated. Very friendly and kind staff. Love the remodel in that it allows for a much improved view of the ocean. Our food looked amazing on the menu but was very salty. I will try it again based on the other reviews and the convenience/beauty of location -- otherwise I would not give it another shot based on the food. Valet service was efficient and pleasant as well.Special Features:
- always a treatKonaBoundDined on 11/1/2014Fabulous ocean view, excellent food and wine, and the server was professional yet friendly and personable. It's our 2nd time there for an anniversary, and won't be our last. And the hula pie is great too. All thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014We had a great Haloween evening. The service was fabulous as well as the food. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/31/2014Food was good but not as good as before. Had a burger and fries. The burger was good but not great. The meat was so-so and the fries were staleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharon's comments..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Amazing scallops, outrageous lemon drop martini, and the best steak my colleague ever had. Our waiter was so great, we invited him to sit down with us-too bad he didn't...;(love this restaurant and make it a destination must when were in San Diego for business....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014The atmosphere was very friendly and beautiful. Our waiter Danny had such great customer service with a twist of honesty and humor. The Mary Chicken and Artistian Romaine was great, I had a big smile once my dish arrived. My only complaint was the noise but that's normal in a very popular place. I recommended this place for anyone who wants to take that special person out but save up first...lol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJaredDined on 10/29/2014Awesome view and even better food! The service was very professional and the staff is very polite. Highly recommend this place for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don12Dined on 10/29/2014Ocean front with a great view. Food was okay. We had twin lobster tails, but they tasted a little old. Won't rule it out based on the lobster, that happen once in awhile. Had a great meal with the same view next door at the Poseidon the night before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, butMaggieDined on 10/29/2014We loved our table and our waiter/etc. Service was great. The fish sandwich was "awful," said my sister. I loved my turkey sandwich. I think my friend liked her pork tacos. No other complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jake's a Winner !MotaVIPDined on 10/27/2014This consistently top notch Del Mar gem is a must visit. The excellent service and good food is only topped by one of the best sunset views in all of Southern California. Ask for waiter Derrick from Hawaii. He's one of their best.Special Features:
- Relaxing atmosphereJ9luvlyDined on 10/27/2014All of the staff extremely professional and knowledgable of the menu. Great customer service. Everybody was organized and all staff worked well together.Special Features:
- kingkongzillaDined on 10/26/2014I felt I got taken. The waiter told of us of specials not on menu, we ordered two New York steak dinners not on menu. Failed to get price on these dinners, only to receive a bill for 84.00 for two New York steak dinners. Believe I could of had Prime Rib cheaper. It was our 36th anniversary all and all a beautiful time, just a negative on the ordering and pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jakes is great for anytime.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014With the view that Jake's has, it is a great place for lunch or dinner. Great service and great food!Special Features:
- Can't beat the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014I particularly love Jake's when I can get a window table and feel like I'm at the beach with great food and service, not a picnic lunch. We took a friend for her birthday and it was a wonderful time. I had ceviche which was served molded topped with a sorbet. Different and very refreshing.Special Features:
- Amazing PlaceLadyDeeDinerDined on 10/25/2014Jake's is an institution in Del Mar and has been serving wonderful meals for decades. I love the place. The view is incredible year round. The service is wonderful with so many efficient and friendly servers to wait on you. I highly recommend this restaurant. A bit noisy at times but still a delight to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for our anniversary.EvodineDined on 10/24/2014Love Jakes! Great food, excellent service, unbeatable view. Celebrated our anniversary with beautiful view of the ocean on a sunny afternoon. Couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ViewBroomsDined on 10/22/2014This is one of the best places in Del Mar to impress your date with. The service was great, the food was fantastic and the view is very inpressive. Don't worry about missing it at night either because they have lights outside so you can still see the waves. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raves for JakesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014My friends and I had a wonderful experience at Jake's, beginning with enjoying the sunset on the beach and moving on to tasty cocktails and fabulous food. We try places all over the country and Jake's is one of our new favorites!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!NMWhiteDined on 10/20/2014A top notch, vibrant restaurant right on the ocean. Great menu, friendly staff, delicious food, terrific ambience....and what a view! The place was packed at sunset/happy hour. Best place on the coast to catch the sun go down over the pacific. Patio dining, open air windows...you feel like you're in a tropical locale, not just 20 minutes from home! Wonderful menu choices..varied and delicious. Can't wait to return...Special Features:
- good location for lunchnotlobDined on 10/19/2014Great brunch and lunch menu. Interesting take on classic dishes and always well presented and served. Love the ocean views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbKimbreDined on 10/19/2014Jakes is always consistent with food quality, food service and ambience. What most people don't know is how truly affordable Jakes is for brunch. Average price for entree ranges $11.00 to $16.00. Food portions are just the perfect size and a variety of selections to please everyone's palate.Special Features:
- great as alwaysJosephDined on 10/18/2014We are Jake's regulars. We eat there at least once a month. My wife is a vegetarian and I am a carnivore. We are never disappointed.