Jake's Del Mar
1660 Coast Blvd
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Jake's Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jakesdelmar.com/
- Phone: 8587552002x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Duvinh Ta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jake's Del Mar
Jake’s Del Mar brings new American cooking to the edge – to the water’s edge that is. Located right on the beach in Del Mar Chef Duvinh Ta uses fresh, seasonal products as the inspiration for updating classic preparations of fresh fish, shellfish and premium meats. The lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch menus showcase clean, eclectic flavors and local, sustainable products that are complemented by Jake’s jaw dropping location on the sand. The nightly Chef’s Special is a seasonal creation that features the best seafood, meats and produce available and through the Legacy of Aloha program, Jake’s donates a portion the proceeds from the Chef’s Special to the San Diego Food Bank.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Jake's Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Jake's Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
443 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (387)special occasion (276)great for lunch (169)romantic (169)fit for foodies (163)neighborhood gem (141)great for outdoor dining (112)great for brunch (110)hot spot (107)vibrant bar scene (99)good for groups (86)notable wine list (39)kid-friendly (31)late-night find (22)Show More
- Jake's a Winner !MotaVIPDined on 10/27/2014This consistently top notch Del Mar gem is a must visit. The excellent service and good food is only topped by one of the best sunset views in all of Southern California. Ask for waiter Derrick from Hawaii. He's one of their best.Special Features:
- Relaxing atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014All of the staff extremely professional and knowledgable of the menu. Great customer service. Everybody was organized and all staff worked well together.Special Features:
- Can't beat the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014I particularly love Jake's when I can get a window table and feel like I'm at the beach with great food and service, not a picnic lunch. We took a friend for her birthday and it was a wonderful time. I had ceviche which was served molded topped with a sorbet. Different and very refreshing.Special Features:
- Amazing PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Jake's is an institution in Del Mar and has been serving wonderful meals for decades. I love the place. The view is incredible year round. The service is wonderful with so many efficient and friendly servers to wait on you. I highly recommend this restaurant. A bit noisy at times but still a delight to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for our anniversary.EvodineDined on 10/24/2014Love Jakes! Great food, excellent service, unbeatable view. Celebrated our anniversary with beautiful view of the ocean on a sunny afternoon. Couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ViewBroomsDined on 10/22/2014This is one of the best places in Del Mar to impress your date with. The service was great, the food was fantastic and the view is very inpressive. Don't worry about missing it at night either because they have lights outside so you can still see the waves. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raves for JakesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014My friends and I had a wonderful experience at Jake's, beginning with enjoying the sunset on the beach and moving on to tasty cocktails and fabulous food. We try places all over the country and Jake's is one of our new favorites!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!NMWhiteDined on 10/20/2014A top notch, vibrant restaurant right on the ocean. Great menu, friendly staff, delicious food, terrific ambience....and what a view! The place was packed at sunset/happy hour. Best place on the coast to catch the sun go down over the pacific. Patio dining, open air windows...you feel like you're in a tropical locale, not just 20 minutes from home! Wonderful menu choices..varied and delicious. Can't wait to return...Special Features:
- good location for lunchnotlobDined on 10/19/2014Great brunch and lunch menu. Interesting take on classic dishes and always well presented and served. Love the ocean views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbKimbreDined on 10/19/2014Jakes is always consistent with food quality, food service and ambience. What most people don't know is how truly affordable Jakes is for brunch. Average price for entree ranges $11.00 to $16.00. Food portions are just the perfect size and a variety of selections to please everyone's palate.Special Features:
- great as alwaysJosephDined on 10/18/2014We are Jake's regulars. We eat there at least once a month. My wife is a vegetarian and I am a carnivore. We are never disappointed.
- Gem in Del MarEatingwithAdamDined on 10/18/2014Went for our anniversary and had a wonderful experience. Food, service, and view of the sunset was amazing; unforgettable. Go early to get a front row seat along the beach, and stay for dessert to see the sunset from your table. It's also very child friendly with a great kids menu. And there are plenty of gluten free options for those with Celiac disease; our service person was very aware of dietary needs, which was wonderful. Without a doubt, 5 stars.Special Features:
- Memorable birthday lunchJakefanDined on 10/18/2014Just celebrated another birthday at Jakes. I had the ceviche, tuna tartar tacos and the lobster sandwich, all yummy. Cannot beat the views of the ocean and the breeze. Service was fast and very attentive. The staff left a sweet birthday card with 2 sea shells for me which was totally unexpected but very appreciated. They topped this off with a decadent ice cream cake with a candle. I will be back every time I have a chance. We capped off the memory with a walk on the beach.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprise!InSearchOfVIPDined on 10/16/2014We've tried all the area beach-front restaurants and have generally been disappointed by the food quality and lack of culinary concern. Sure, the views are stunning, but the owners seem satisfied to serve up tourist grade menus at best along with generic CA wine lists. This was true about Jake's about two years ago on our last visit there, but we went for dinner this week and were amazed by the remodel, the great menu and the excellent food quality and preparation. We had one of the best filets and lobster tails ever and the brussel sprout appetizer was unique and tasty. We also appreciate the fact there were at least two european white wines on the list. Someone creative and attentive to quality is definitely in the kitchen!Special Features:
- Noisy but great view, food, serviceTolotDined on 10/16/2014Had a great time again at Jake's while being on vacation with my folks. Erin took great care of us. Food was excellent, Hula Pie can be a bit overwhelming though. Sunset was beautiful. Only downside was high noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can never go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The food and service is always phenomenal! I highly recommend this place as a romantic dinner or a semi-casual lunch. Favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seen better daysNYCGourmandVIPDined on 10/14/2014There's no getting around Pacific Ocean waves and unspoiled beaches at sunset so....Jake's location in Del Mar can't be beat. But from all accounts, the food has taken a turn for the worse. Drinks had to be sent back, seafood orders weren't up to snuff, and the only positive thing was a restaurant willing to take the offending item off the bill with what felt like a sincere apology. Chef's night off? Who knows. But what was coming out of the kitchen was pedestrian and just poorly prepared. Our server, Derek, was in top form, gracious and amiable at all times. Be warned: the place is crowded beyond belief....no one seems to care that much about the food....that's how beautiful those waves are!Special Features:
- Spot OnFoodieArt1Dined on 10/14/2014Jake's Del Mar have been in business for a long time and have their act together. Excellent food and service, even though the place was packed during our evening meal. They had a window table waiting per our request via open table. Our server (Erin) was excellent - attentive, but not obtrusive and knew the preparation and taste of all the menu items. One of the best meals we're had in a long time.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchLolaDined on 10/14/2014Delightful afternoon get-away and lunch. Food was great;drinks were great;view was spectacular and our special server, Jack, made it perfect. He is attentive, but does not hover over the table. Hope he gets a sizeable pay increase; he deserves one. See you all soon!Special Features:
- I LUV Jake'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014The Ocean views are out of this world. The lunch menu is amazing as well as the food. Our server Jack provided top shelf server.Special Features:
- Great Lunching Experience at Jake'sJustatasteDined on 10/14/2014the other day. The fish entree was delicious. It's my favorite ocean view place to eat as you're pretty- much eye-level with surfing. Excellent service from waiter Jack. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was Horrid12345VIPDined on 10/13/2014We booked a table at 630 so we could enjoy the sunset. My wife & I arrived at 630PM and knew that our 2 guests were tied up in traffic and would be 20 minutes late. We asked to be seated so we could have a glass of wine and enjoy the sunset while we waited for out guests. We were told in no uncertain terms that we could only be seated when our entire group had arrived. We were told to sit at the bar and wait. There must be new management because this has never happened to us before. BTW, they were not busy, When we finally got to our table the service was unimaginably slow and the food was unappetizing. Something has happened at Jake's. If this was the first time we went there we would never go back.
- WOW FACTOR!PerfectDined on 10/12/2014Invited out of town guests to dinner. They loved the view. The service was perfect. The food was yummy. Jake's was the perfect choice.Special Features:
- lovely viewBrunchingDined on 10/12/2014Great view for Brunch, lunch or dinner. Lovely dessert for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serv, always take our guest!gvdrateDined on 10/12/2014View is beyong romantic, excellent service. Service and friendliness of staff is remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- daiseeDined on 10/11/2014Greeted me with "happy Birthday", which was very nice. Pretty card on table with some shells by it, also very nice. They opened up curtains so everyone could see the sunset. This was very romantic. Very impressed with the small touches!Special Features:
- OutstandingGGLLCDined on 10/11/2014I can't say enough good things about Jake's. Great and personable service from the moment we sat down. One of the few places to experience fresh Opakapaka grilled with a light coconut crust. Tender, flaky and almost melts in your mouth. Topped the meal off with their special version of Tiramisu while watching the sun set over the Pacific Ocean. Need I say more? One of my Top 10 restaurants in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food&service,allergy friendlyrichandmartiDined on 10/10/2014We had such a delicious meal for dinner that we went back for lunch the next day and had an equally terrific experience. We are gluten free because of allergies and the staff was knowledgeable, very accommodating, and eager to please, providing recommendations that would fit our restrictions, and still provided a delicious meal! In addition to having delicious, creative, and meals with incredibly fresh ingredients, we also enjoyed ocean front seating with a spectacular sunset!! We recommend the "fall off the bones" ribs appetizer (we had them without the sauce and they were still delicious!!), the seafood pot, the shrimp scampi, the burger, the celery root puree...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great night!BVdelDined on 10/9/2014The team at Jake's are amazing! They are very attentive and friendly! The food was pretty good too. My friend had the seafood pot, and I ordered the swimming steak? ( filet and two shrimp) my steak was overcooked, so I would not order that again, but the food was ok otherwise! Drinks were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodJBofPowayDined on 10/9/2014An exceptional experience in celebrating any special occasion - we were treated exceptionally well by our server and the food was outstanding. The server and chef both tailored the meal to special food restrictions required, and it turned out great.Special Features:
- Dinner 10/08/2014OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014Jake's was a mid-way meeting spot for us to have dinner with a friend. He suggested Jake's and I have seen it mentioned on other boards. We had a spectacular view of the sunset and a delicious dinner. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- NiceJbeamwineVIPDined on 10/8/2014It's right on the beach, our food was great, our server was excellent and we had a great time!Special Features:
- Waiter & HostesbestplaceDined on 10/8/2014Waiter Jack was super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 The Hostess was very pleasent & seemed to enjoy people. My friends & wife & I have been coming to Jale's for years when in the area (annualy) never had a bad or marginal experience. If you want gerat food service, and unmatched view eat at Jake's Andy & BarbSpecial Features:
- RBJeanneVIPDined on 10/7/2014The food was great, the service prompt but not oppressive, and the view is amazing. However we had a large, noisy group beside our table making conversation very difficult.Special Features:
- graciegracieDined on 10/7/2014Disappointed with the lobster club.....way too expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeVisitorsDined on 10/6/2014Awesome as usual. Exceptional calamari and hula pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- watch the surfersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2014great location and awesome service...we ordered the calamari steak, risotto and scallops and the brussel sprouts...all fabulous...and a huge ice cream desert yummySpecial Features:
- Been going to Jake's for 30 yrs.DMRESVIPDined on 10/5/2014and have never had a bad meal or bad experience. Wait staff are always extremely knowledgeable and friendly. You can't beat the ocean view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014I had my birthday dinner here with my family and we got a table having a great view of ocean and sunset. When my kids told the waiter it's my birthday and he brought out the hula pie with candle at the end of our meal. This is the best dining experience for us. Oh, the food is awesome, great chicken if you don't like seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!luv4food04VIPDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant was so good! We were there to celebrate a birthday. The staff went above and beyond to be kind, courteous and helpful. We received nothing but smiles and Happy Birthday wishes. The food was amazing. Steak and lobster and new york strip. Perfectly cooked! Drinks were good. Dessert was good. The ocean view at sunset was perfect. The restaurant was a bit loud but it was because so many people were happy and enjoying their visit. Many celebrations around the place from anniversaries to birthdays. Have already recommended this place to friends and hope to be back when we visit from AZ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.