Jake's Del Mar
1660 Coast Blvd
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Jake's Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jakesdelmar.com/
- Phone: 8587552002x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Duvinh Ta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jake's Del Mar
Jake’s Del Mar brings new American cooking to the edge – to the water’s edge that is. Located right on the beach in Del Mar Chef Duvinh Ta uses fresh, seasonal products as the inspiration for updating classic preparations of fresh fish, shellfish and premium meats. The lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch menus showcase clean, eclectic flavors and local, sustainable products that are complemented by Jake’s jaw dropping location on the sand. The nightly Chef’s Special is a seasonal creation that features the best seafood, meats and produce available and through the Legacy of Aloha program, Jake’s donates a portion the proceeds from the Chef’s Special to the San Diego Food Bank.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Jake's Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Jake's Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
458 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (405)special occasion (273)romantic (185)great for lunch (161)fit for foodies (141)neighborhood gem (127)great for brunch (112)great for outdoor dining (110)vibrant bar scene (105)hot spot (103)good for groups (84)notable wine list (48)kid-friendly (37)late-night find (21)Show More
- ShaunshaunDined on 9/28/2014Over-priced and food was just fair. They overcooked my lobster the first time.Special Features:
- Sublime SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Warm and friendly staff, remarkable setting, beautiful interior design. West coast casual dining at it's best. Delicious fresh seafood and wonderful steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Perfection!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful experience! It was such a perfect day and we were seated near the windows for a beautiful ocean experience. Food was excellent and our server Derek was a treat-very personable and on top of the service! Thank you for an amazing lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okFriendsVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great setting. Attractive menu. Portions small. Service was good. Best part of meal was the signature hula pie. Portion on the pie was ridiculously large. 10 years ago the food was much better. Hope it . Just an off day this visitSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014I was really happy with everything. The bar only had one bartender though which seemed odd for a packed place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible view. small portions.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Love Jake's. Casual, competent and amazing ocean setting. Had salmon at lunch. Very small portion and very little accompanying the salmon. Hate to use bread as a means of not walking away hungry but that is what was required this time. Won't keep me away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.DMichaelDined on 9/25/2014Great food,excellent service.Will definetly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small saladItalianDined on 9/25/2014The hostesses at the front desk were excellent, given all the people milling about--this was Restaurant Week. The food was good, though my first-course salad was the smallest I've ever had (or seen!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jakes is always awesome !!CotoQVIPDined on 9/25/2014We had lunch at Jakes on Thursday and as always the experience was phenomenal....a warm greeting from the hostess who guided us to a beachfront table promptly and introduced us to our server Gavin, who could not have been more courteous and attentive throughout our meal ! I had the grilled fish sandwich which was perfect and my wife had the seafood trio and, as always, we marveled at how perfectly the kitchen creates the best food anywhere...Jakes is a must try and if the food doesn't get you, the spectacular view of the Pacific will !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, even better service!AvidDinerDined on 9/25/2014We went to Jake's Del Mar for the view but were most impressed by the service. We arrived at 11:30 when they opened, and we were seated at the window with an amazing view. Our server asked about us as she lead us to our table, found out we were celebrating 2 birthdays, and surprised us with their signature Hula Pie for dessert. Both entrees were delicious. We were not rushed at all, and the server waited for us to request the check, which I liked. Bottom line: they appreciated our business and it showed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view - great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014Great view - great food and at reasonable prices. Get a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014Everything is always wonderful and today was no exception. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OCEAN VIEWFoodietrulyDined on 9/24/2014Went for Restaurant Week & returned another day with 3 friends. Calamari is perfect! Thickly sliced, lightly breaded and cooked to perfection. No over fried tasteless calamari strips here. Our group had: the burger, excellent. Fish tacos, lackluster. Shrimp salad, good with 5 large shrimp. Needed more dressing which they brought. Ahi salad good, also needed more dressing. The Trio seafood selection on the main menu was outstanding! The seasonal soup with heirloom tomato's & white beans was delicious. With rsv, you still have to wait for a patio table with ocean view. Worth the wait! Parking is terrible. Valet parking $4, filled up. We parked across the street in a lot. $15 for 2 hours. That was ridiculous!!! 4 not 5 stars due to parking.Special Features:
- Jake's is very busy!SequimbayDined on 9/23/2014Jake's is very busy, because they put out a great product. However, the parking there is crazy limited! Don't bring a car and no problem. The parking lot was plugged full, and valet had no where to put any more cars, and this was on a Tuesday night! We ended up parking across the street in the City of Del Mar's parking lot for the outrageous fee of $5 an hour. Good food, good people, we'll be back!Special Features:
- Scenery is great, food is terribleFluffyDogDined on 9/23/2014I took my wife there for her birthday, we had not been there in about 7 years. I forgot why we never went until we received our food. I had the filet Mignon and my wife had the bean vegetarian dish. I am in no way a foodie or even really that picky, but my filet was so over salted and over peppered it was nearly inedible. My wife is not picky or a foodie either and she was very disappointed in her dish which was heavily oiled down with old oil with a very strange flavor. Given that Jake's in a part of town that is a stronghold for senior citizens with a LOT of money, it is no surprise that the chefs have fallen into the habit of over flavoring food. Unfortunately, the same could be said for COCOs. The service was great!Special Features:
- Great sunset dining!BiondaDined on 9/23/2014You can't beat the view at Jake's, especially if you make your reservation around sunset. Very romantic spot, even great for groups. Very vibrant bar scene. Excellent service, consistent food. Try the seafood pot, one of my favorites!Special Features:
- Great evening...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014We enjoyed an evening out at Jake's Del Mar. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was excellent, and the view is incredible!Special Features:
- Love going to Jake's Del Mar!ShutterbugmomVIPDined on 9/23/2014It's wonderful sitting by the open window looking at and listening to the ocean waves! The food is crazy good! We love Jake's Del Mar!! If you go to Maui, you really need to visit their sister restaurants! they are amazing as well! <3Special Features:
- I love Jake'siluvfoodDined on 9/23/2014I have been a patron of Jake's for many years. Typically I take my wife and friends for dinner which I have never been disappointed. This week I went for lunch and as it was restaurant week we got a great deal on food. It was a great time to meet with some old friends share the great view and partake in the fantastic food that Jake's always provides. Don't miss going there for any occasion lunch, dinner or just a drink at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014very good service and reasonably priced entrees for restaurant week; although the lunch entrees selections weren't as good as the previous years. Overall very nice ambiance and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the viewkrelinDined on 9/21/2014And the food is pretty good too! It's not the best in San Diego, but it is a well conceived and well executed menu. The view is amazing and the recently renovated space is very nice. Our server disappeared for long intervals during the meal, which was disappointing. Overall, it was a nice evening out.Special Features:
- tries to be gourmet, but...foodcynicDined on 9/21/2014...doesn't really get it right. Our Ahi appetizer mini tacos were sauced too sweet and difficult to eat... breaking up with the first bite. The fish salad with Opah was just OK. Too salty and the salad was just chopped romaine, the dressing too spicy for the fish. The eggs benedict were really ordinary...not as good as most everyday breakfast coffee shops. Since the poached eggs are a big feature on the brunch menu they need to be actually properly poached, not just steamed in an cup like a home cook does. Send them to school to see how it's done. The complimentary wedge of "hula pie" is so yesterday! The sound level wouldn't pass OSHA standards for a workplace.Special Features:
- CEOOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Waitress was fabulous I'm beyond words to express how fabulous food was great five starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014While everything was fantastic, the portion sizes were significantly smaller than I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtheplaceDined on 9/19/2014Fabulous food and absolutely over the top service combined with a fantastic sunset view as well as later with the lights illuminating the waves. Absolutely fabulous for a special occasion - or for that matter - no occasion at all -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visit!oremomDined on 9/19/2014You can't beat the ocean view and the food was varied and delicious. More than just seafood if that's not your thing Our server was fun and engaging and we enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view!ChefDoeDined on 9/19/2014Gorgeously located on a strip of prime beach in downtown Del Mar. Be sure to make a reservation and get a table by their open windows facing the beach. The ambience cannot be replicated. The food is delicious, although I think the flavors are more developed next door at Poseiden. The shaded patio dining at Jakes cannot be beat. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good lunchnotlobDined on 9/19/2014Excellent fish - always love the fish trio. Whale watching a bonus this visit. Love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RubberyNanKDined on 9/18/2014Upon hearing that had my favorite Hawaiian fish, Opakapaka, I was so looking forward to it - but it was rubbery and bland. I wouldn't order it again. The other person I was with did not care for her meal either (duck), so overall it was disappointing and not as good as I remember Jake's to be from past experiences.Special Features:
- Rebecca of OceansideRebecca22Dined on 9/18/2014We love bringing out of town friends to Jake's for lunch. They always rave about it. Fabulous choice of meal, thanks to a tip from our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in Del Mar......fork1and1spoonDined on 9/17/2014......go to Jake's; not to be missed for the excellent food, ambience, service and ocean view.Special Features:
- Terrific LunchMaryVIPDined on 9/17/2014We hadn't been to Jake's for a few years and noted that it had been renovated and is much sleeker than it once was -- a more modern look. We had a table right next to the windows so we had a great view of the ocean and all of the people who were boogie boarding and playing in the surf. I ordered an Asian-style pork sandwich and it was terrific. It had unusual flavors that all blended wonderfully. It was served with their own potato chips which were very good. I wasn't sure that cheese-embellished chips were the right combination with the Asian flavors in the sandwich but I ate them anyway. My husband had the burger which was so juicy that he had to eat some with knife and fork. He said it was really excellent. Very enjoyable lunch.Special Features:
- Best food everStaroftemeculaDined on 9/16/2014Beautiful settings and best waiters. Great food and great service. I have never taste the fish so good until I been to Jake's and Kimos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAKE'S DEL MARSANDIEGOFOODIEDined on 9/14/2014TOLD THEM UPON RESERVATION THAT IT WAS OUR ANNIVERSARY AND REQUESTED A NICE OCEAN VIEW. I HAVE BEEN TO JAKE'S MANY TIMES BUT OUR TABLE AND VIEW THIS TIME WERE SUPERB. SERVICE WAS GOOD AND THEY WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE OUR ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION SPECIAL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a night at JakespuzinatorDined on 9/13/2014I've been wanting to go to Jakes for a long time. We finally went on my birthday, and I was underwhelmed. It was fine. The service was good, the menu was good, but the food was very average. The prices were really high considering the mediocrity of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service!SlowdinnerDined on 9/13/2014The service for providing food was so slow: Waiting for order dishes, serve meals, for order desert, and for requesting a check, each step takes time. Waiting time was much greater than eating. No explanation of dishes.Special Features:
- Wonderful view, food and waiter!DarwinDined on 9/13/2014We had a 7pm sunset dinner reserved for our 11th year anniversary and Jake's did not upset! We had a wonderful ocean view table next to the window with a very kind "Happy Anniversary" card and seashell on our table. it was very romantic. Everyone there was warm and inviting. Most notably, our waiter Derick who was superb in every way possible. He was extrememly polite and knew the Chef's special down to the T. He recommended the 12oz NY cut steak with bacon jam and chimichurri and it was outstanding! Thank you for making our anniversary a thing to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jakes remains excellentCarolDined on 9/13/2014There is a good reason Jakes is always crowded. From the spectacular views to excellent food, it's a place to be counted on. There was a time when the food had fallen to just good but last eek it was back to excellent. The scallops were beautifully done! If you let them know you have a special occasion, they add in a mud pie with pizazz to top off your meal.Special Features:
- Love the new look, menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014We've been to Jake's Del Mar several times over the years. New interior and updated menu are great and the setting sun at dinner is not to be missed. Despite being packed on a Saturday evening, the service and food were great. We'll continue to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staffkn2014Dined on 9/13/2014I was expecting very snooty staff, but they were all very friendly. Great ocean view. Food was fine, but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.