Jaiya - UES
1553 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ThaiPrice: $31 to $50
Jaiya - UES
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jaiya.com/
- Phone: (212) 717-8877
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Executive Chef: Wanee Pokpoonpipat
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live DJ every Friday- Saturday Night from 7pm - 12:00 am
- Cross Street: 80th Street & 81st Street
- Public Transit: Subway line 6 to 77th street Subway line 4,5,6,6x to 86th street Bus line M15 to either stop (81 & 82 street / 2nd Ave) or ( 78 & 79 street / 2nd Ave)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Second Avenue Street Parking - 1 hour metered parking, free after 7pm, Sunday free all day
A word from Jaiya - UES
Jaiya New York's menu is inspired by the cuisine of Wanne Pokpoonpipat, who arrived in New York City in the 1970's with dreams of introducing Thai cuisine to west. With her creation of the ﬁrst Jaiya in Elmhurst, Queens, she single handedly changed the Asian Culinary landscape of New York. The dedication and passion she put into Jaiya and its menu, truly expresses the love she has for the art of Thai cuisine. The heavenly herbs and spices transports you directly into the heart of Thailand. Her dedication has not gone unnoticed garnering recognition from the New York Times as well as from Michelin. She oversees the menu at Jaiya Thai-Oriental in Gramercy to this day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Jaiya - UES - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Jaiya - UES reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (15)romantic (13)special occasion (12)hot spot (12)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- yummyperfectDined on 11/15/2014It was fun I went with my girlfriend I had the triple flawed fish it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey ...forMia418VIPDined on 11/1/2014The food is good, I admit, but it wasn't "wow" so amazing that I would call this the best place. The food is good. Insofar as the ambiance, it's really dark in there, that it's hard to read the menu. For the price of Thai food that I have had, this place is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid at all costsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Rude hostess, extraordinarily slow service (despite having a reservation and the place not being full) and awful liquor selection.
- Great MomemtYorodDined on 10/3/2014Excellent evening & service was wonderful. We will definately refer our friends to come to your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Distracted WaiterFoodieGirlVIPDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant itself is amazing insofar as ambiance. Just gorgeous and very much a conversation starter. The food was quite good. The bar service was excellent although at the end, it was slow to get the bill. The dinner waiter was very forgetful and had to ask for our order a number of times and then sent the appetizers and main courses together by mistake - not overly impressed there. Overall good, though. Would try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodmidtownVIPDined on 9/19/2014Not a super star, just a solid up scale Thai. They spice to a Thai palate, so be warned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014I've been here for drinks before but never had the food. I booked a reservation for a date friday night. Service was perfect and the Coconut Tom Kha was amazing! I was very disappointed in the Duck Drunken Man. It's my favorite dish to have and I was disappointed by how dry the duck and noodles were. I work in the food industry and appreciate food prepared well and with detail. I understand it's friday night but that dish really missed it's mark.Special Features:
- Dinning Thay foodManezinhoDined on 9/13/2014The place is full, reservation is obligatory. The menu is difficult to look at because is a dark place. The food was great: red snap fish with marschroon and the shrimp delicious ! The vulcanic icecream was regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant! Delicious treats!gorosieDined on 9/1/2014Surprisingly, tasty, fresh food. Appetizers definitely enjoyable- Wait staff, really attentive; food suggestions on the mark!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Thai FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014I was craving authentic Thai food after my trip to Thailand, and Jaiya is amazing! Everything is great and the atmosphere is really nice too. We came here with a big group, and had a great time.Special Features:
- great thai foodpachiorelleDined on 8/30/2014really delicious and authentic tasting thai food and staff was very accommodating of our group. will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Great spotCourtneyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great dinner. Good service. Disappointed they didnt have the bottle of wine i wanted.Special Features:
- steady and reliablemidtownVIPDined on 8/15/2014maybe not the most exciting, and maybe not the scene, but the food is well prepared and satisfying. note their use of spices is not what most amarican palates are used to - so don't order spicy if you don't like heatSpecial Features:
- The following 67 reviews are from the Jaiya - UES reviews archive.
- Second Avenue surprise!visitorVIPDined on 7/27/2014Jaiya stands apart from the typical Second Avenue restaurants. It is quite nice looking, with a very diverse and interesting menu. And very very tasty food. We look forward to coming back!Special Features:
- Great place for a dateFunPlaces2goDined on 7/26/2014Great place for a date. Dark mood lighting and great ambiance. Food is delicious- curry dishes come in a small wok with a fire underneath with a ladle which makes it an interactive experience and something to talk about. Service was fine. Make sure to make a reservation on thrs/fri/sat nights.Special Features:
- great food! VERY AUTHENTICJamieLee1385Dined on 7/21/2014I've been coming here for over 20 years with my family. Food is amazing and authentic Thai dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super goodRTUESVIPDined on 7/5/2014Made a last minute reservation here. Super good food, super good vibes, great experience, will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- great foodexcellentDined on 7/1/2014This is place awesome, great vibe, great service, a little crowded after 8 but still worthwhile. Food is amazing, try the steamed mussels and desserts are to die for. Panda flan and mango with sticky rice are phenomenal! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was an experience!LocakittyDined on 6/16/2014I have tried Thai food before, but this was outstanding! The flavors burst in your mouth!! Our Waiter Tom was awesome. He discussed the different food choices withus and told us what they would taste like before they came...OUTSTANDING!! **Only downside... the sticky rice came in this little tiny basket ...it was cute... but it sooooo little! MORE STICKY RICE PLEASE!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty ThaiUnnamedDinerNo8Dined on 6/14/2014I really enjoyed my meal at Jaiya. The food was delicious, the portion size was good and the menu was clear. I expecially appreciated the attentive service. We sat close to the door near the bar. It was a little distracting as those at the bar were a bit loud; on the other hand it was nice to see outside. The entryway was very narrow for both servers and new patrons coming to the restaturant. I would go back, next time I would like to sit in the back of the restaurant were it looked like there was a large dining area. The decor and atmosphere had an exotic aisian vibe which was a good match with the Thai food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFoodieDined on 6/13/2014Came here with a party of 7 and the restaurant accommodated us no problem. Ambience and food both fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average ThailookingforspecialmealsVIPDined on 6/7/2014Everything we tried was fresh and uniquely prepared, nothing greasy or heavy. We had the steamed vegetable dumplings, kale and scallop appetizer (the kale was cooked but had a nice crunch), and catch of the day red snapper wok fried with Thai spices. Our waiter was friendly and helpful with the menu. He switched out my husband's beer when he didn't like the one he had suggested, and suggested the flan which was made with a Thai fruit, so lighter than typical flan - perfect. Very quiet at 5:30.
- Great food, spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/5/2014Hostess chastised me for being 7 minutes late for my reservation, yet they were far from full. Tom Yum soup was amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great thai dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/3/2014Tried Jaiya and wasnt dissappointed. Had the coconut shrip and the vegtable dumplings...both were excellent. Also had the Pad tai and the Red curry dishes both werre very good. Overall, service was very attentive and the food was very good.Special Features:
- Great experience and foodGM3131Dined on 5/17/2014This is a great little restaurant that often goes overlooked when walking by. It's unassuming in appearance, but once you're inside it has a moderate-to-vibrant feel with good service and great food. A lot of options for everybody, and they give you a solid choice of spicy vs. not-so-much. Their food tends to run on the hotter side, so if you like less bite, go with the lowest option, which I think is mild. If you go hot, you may want to get a pitcher of water. Overall a great experience and well worth a night out with a small group or if you're attending with another person.Special Features:
- Best Thai Menu AroundKayPDined on 5/13/2014I loved this place because it has such a big range of options, and especially interesting vegetable-based ones -- something that I don't find rings true of other Thai places in the area. The crispy eggplant is a must-try as it was phenomenal. I went with three other women and we ordered three appetizers and three entrees to split among the four of us, which was just perfect. Though I went with wine, the drink menu looked interesting too. The service was consistent and the setting was very attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun thai foodJevittVIPDined on 5/10/2014Jaiya UES is fun local place for Thai. Just wish the prices were a few dollars cheaper.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/6/2014only on weekdays, they don't offer lunch special on weekends like other places in the neighbourhoodSpecial Features:
- Great experiencegoodfoodDined on 4/27/2014The food was great. Just the right portions and bursting with flavor. Clean and delicious thai food! And on a side note they have a very nice bathroom,it was big and clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks and foodPathakpVIPDined on 4/25/2014I went twice in one week. First time w/ my girlfriend was a Thursday night. Quiet and enjoyable. Food was okay but different for a Thai resto so wanted to bring my hubby back w/ some friends. Noisy on a Friday night! They have a DJ- not conducive to conversation !!! My friends liked the food but kept complaining how dark it was! Definitely an upscale Thai resto with a bar menu and food menu to match but with a vibe if u know! I would go back only on a weekday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai in the UESOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2014What a gem! Amazing food - get the grilled Dungeness crab starter and the coconut Tom kha soup with vegetables. Complex flavors, beautiful soup presentation. Drunken noodles are heaven although were hot as h*ll. The whole fish (red snapper) with ginger was beautifully presented, very fresh and had lovely subtle flavors. Charlie, the manager/head waiter, is charming and welcoming. Cool scene, gorgeous food. Our new favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodNehaVIPDined on 4/6/2014We are vegetarian's and they serve amazing food without eggs and fish sauce. I would recommend this restaurant to all vegetarianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of sixPepperJayDined on 3/29/2014Jaiya brings a little bit of downtown uptown. Sultry décor, mouthwatering food, potent cocktails, attentive but unobtrusive service, and all at the right price point. Ideal spot for a date or to wow out-of-town guests. This was the first time I visited with a party of more than four. I'm a big fan of the booths (which seat a maximum of four) but our oversize group was seated at the large table under the buddha waterfall, which worked well too. Everything was top notch, as usual. Our one tiny gripe was that after we'd settled the bill, no one returned to fill our water (despite the fact that we were clearly still chatting). The restaurant was half full so we were neither preventing them from closing nor hogging the table. Overall: <3 JaiyaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai food; clean,wellchasemanDined on 3/14/2014Excellent Thai food; clean,well prepared and pleasant service. Food comes quickly . Noise level after 800pm is very loud due to vibrant bar scence and DJ in the front ( perhaops this is only on Friday and Saturday nights)--so eiteh rgo earlier or aske to be seated in the backSpecial Features:
- Lovely Thai RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014I picked this spot on a whim and it was a great find. Lovely decor, great service, and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, great atmospherehodgeDined on 2/17/2014This place was fantastic! The food was unreal, we started off with their signature salads. My girlfriend had the Pad Thai with Prawns which was phenomenal and I had some type of Curry with stew meats...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is hot!GotMyThaiOnDined on 2/12/2014The service was fantastic. The food was delicious. Atmosphere is dark, quiet, and romantic. Price was about what I expected to pay. Be careful of the spice. My wife and I love spicy food and asked for the spice level of medium. That proved to be a little too spicy for us, although it was still excellent. The beads of sweat rolled down my forehead as I endured the heat. The Chai Tea Creme Brulee (sp) was a great end to a very good experience and it also put out the fire. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great food &beautifully decoratedYackieohVIPDined on 2/8/2014Great food and a find on the Upper East Side. Beautifully decorated, classy but hip. Fantastic dishes, best pad Thai I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaiya is my favorite ThaiJosephVIPDined on 1/31/2014Jaiya is my favorite Thai restaurant in manhattan. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in the upper east sideOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/29/2014You can't go wrong with thai. Here's a note, the level of spicy at Jaiya UES is extremely spicy, so I recommend getting a mild.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.