903 E. Morris Street
Hammond, LA 70401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jacmelinn.com/
- Phone: (985) 542-0043
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Doyle Orlando
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Jacmel Inn will cater any event within a 50-mile radius of Hammond anytime. We will custom design a menu to fit the customer's budget, food preferences or creative requests. We specialize in wedding events.
- Private Party Facilities: Jacmel Inn is available for private parties events using part of the property or the entire restaurant. Film companies have used Jacmel Inn for their movies and TV shows. The upstairs dining area can seat up to 50 people. The side porch area can seat up to 20 people. The bar dining area can seat up to 30 people. With a brick privacy wall, the patio would make a great location for a private party if weather permits. Other features of the patio are a covered pavilion, umbrellas, fountain, and bar area that has music. The features create an ambiance found somewhere in Europe.
- Private Party Contact: Chanc Kinchen 9855420043
- Entertainment: Blended stereo background music is always available. Three TV screens located in the bar and adjacent dining area quenches the thirst of Louisiana sports fans.
- Cross Street: U. S. Highway 190
- Public Transit: Currently Hammond, Louisiana does not have a public transit system.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: All parking is on the property with the main parking in front and adjacent to the restaurant on Morris St. (Hwy 190). A circular drive allows drop off and our lot can handle motor coach vehicles. The rear parking lot off of Thomas St. (Hwy 190) can handle 30 cars and customers can access the front door via a brick walkway through the cane landscaping.
A word from Jacmel Inn
Jacmel Inn began service in June 1977 after six months renovation to the former residence that was built in 1888. This historic 2-story property sits on 2.2 acres and 9 blocks for the center of historic downtown Hammond. The lush landscaping, new patio, and the ample parking help make Jacmel Inn a culinary oasis worthy of a 60 miles drive from New Orleans. The menu has evolved over the years while always using fresh Louisiana Seafood, cooking techniques and dishes derived from traditional Louisiana culture and for 31 year serving great steaks from Iowa corn fed beef. Our executive Chef Doyle Orlando creates our menu, which evolves seasonally. Our dinner with a winemaker series is very popular with our customers for the past 20 years. Our ambiance is a blend of Caribbean, nautical and New England Inn. Guests will feel comfortable dressed casually or dressed to attend a symphony.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Jacmel Inn - Best Restaurants in Hammond ›
Jacmel Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (19)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (6)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- 1travelingfoodieDined on 11/16/2014excellent food , atmosphere , drinks and service. highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy and Romantic DiningDrewDined on 10/18/2014I just took my wife to Jacmel Inn for our one-year wedding anniversary, and it was fantastic! It was a really slow night for them, which is rare, but that made things very quiet for us which was perfect. The food was amazing, and the service was really quick, polite, and well worth a great tip. I HIGHLY recommend going to Jacmel Inn for any romantic night, or special occasion. Just please help keep it this classy. ;-)Special Features:
- pretty priceyLoveNewFoodJointsDined on 9/21/2014The food was good, the service was great. Thought too pricey for a restaurant where the employees dress so casually, which tends to downscale the place. Also, there is a back entrance, but if you park back there beware of the stinky dumpster with trash all over the ground.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I selected Jacmel after reading a number of reviews online. Having never dined in Hammond, LA before I was a bit nervous about it as I had really no one to "talk" to prior to arriving. I was there for a date and arrived a little early. The staff was more than accommodating and let me know they had a table with some privacy already selected for us. I sat in the bar area and talked with several staff members while I waited. To say the staff was incredible would be and understatement. I literally walked away from the bar area when my date arrived and felt like I was an old family member catching up. Completely relaxed the environment. The food was absolutely amazing. Cooked to perfection. I will DEFINITELY be back.Special Features:
- A Gem in HammondPeterBDined on 9/20/2014We've been to Jacmel Inn a number of times, for both dinner and brunch. It has a great atmosphere with small intimate rooms, and an open area dining room by the bar overlooking the patio. This our favorite spot. Food is always good, but on Saturday evening, we ordered from the nightly specials and were very pleased: Pacific marlin, veal chop. Both entrees were outstanding in flavor and presentation. The regular menu has some great selections as well. Paul Murphy always has an interesting wine list which is reasonably priced, and we shared an Oregon Pinot Noir from a 90 case bottling. Delightful. We were totally pleased with our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming old home turned restaurantJRPonchyDined on 9/10/2014Atmosphere, service & food always great! Staff is exceptionally nice, helpfull and inviting. Great place for special occasion or business meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abcdDined on 8/27/2014Consistently good food and fresh fish. Good wine list. Quiet enough to have a conversation. Nice comfortable old home….and the patio is great when the weather is pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Nightfoodiecouple1Dined on 8/26/2014We visited for the first time and found that it is extremely over priced. I ordered a seafood pasta and it was very small and seemed old. Defiantly not a good experience or worth what we paid and will not return or recommend this place. If a meal is going to be $30 and least serve it fresh or enough to fill 1 person.Special Features:
- ElephantDined on 8/15/2014wonderful gem. we ate on a friday night at 6:30 and found it odd that due to the large size of the establishement we were seated next to the only other 2 occupied tables in the enitre resturant. Even though in August, I brought a sweater, glad I did because extremely cold due to vents blowing air out of the floor next to our table. We play in a couples golf tournament every August in McComb MS and it is about an hours drive but well worth the trip. Will do it every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long time dinerBglaDined on 8/10/2014Have been frequenting this establishment for 30 plus years, always good food and service with an evolving menu - old standards and new choices. Quiet and relaxing with good service.Special Features:
- localdinerDined on 8/9/2014I like the ambience at Jacmel's.. it's warm, comfortable and romantic. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining200yearsinNOLADined on 8/8/2014We just found out about this gem of a restaurant a month ago from our neighbors! Since then we have brought other friends and never had a bad meal. By southern standards, the quantity of food is small but it was awesome! Even the bread was the best ever. Dessert were great a well.Special Features:
- JacMel - Still as good as alwaysLizStelzDined on 8/3/2014We had brunch at JacMel on Sunday August 3rd. The service was outstanding. The food good was very good with the only exception being the turtle soup with was tasteless and watery. However, the waiter, most graciously, returned that soup to the kitchen and came out with a substitution -- a roasted eggplant and brie (?) soup which was outstanding. I'm almost glad we had to send the turtle soup back because we would have missed out on the eggplant soup! We started with the lamb meatballs and then finished with the brisket - both were very good. I would highly recommend JacMel. It's been consistently excellent for years and I've never had a bad experience.Special Features:
- The following 254 reviews are from the Jacmel Inn reviews archive.
- Wonderful experiencePatrickDined on 7/26/2014One of my best dining experiences. Attentive, courteous staff, delicious entrees, comfortable ambiance. We met Paul Murphy, Owner who inquired about our dining experience, which spoke volumes. Great place...Can't wait to go back this fall and enjoy the beautiful patio areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive for the experience.SmoothOperatorDined on 7/25/2014Food was excellent but overpriced. Portions were small. Service was lacking. Took more than 5 minutes before our server even showed up to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuaintBritDined on 7/25/2014Nice quaint restaurant, with a good atmosphere. Food was good and there is a nice selection of wine. Most of staff pleasant but our waitress did not have much personality and seemed a bit overwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining4flunDined on 7/19/2014We recently took a visiting guest to dinner at Jacmel. As usual, the food was very good and the service excellent. Although fish is usually a favorite, our guest's fish was extremely salty. I tasted it and was surprised that it was so salty. The dinner was very enjoyable except for the fact that it was very, very cold in the restaurant. Despite these minor issues, we will continue to frequent Jacmel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againInkySquidDined on 7/13/2014We went to Sunday brunch. Upon arriving, there was no host. What greeted us was a amplified-guitarist who strummed and wailed songs that were loud and irritating (more like a 60s coffee house). We asked for a table away from his music---it hardly solved the problem. I had baked crab cakes, which were tasteless. My wife had grillades and grits; the grits were like a bland polenta, the grillades were chunks of pork with sausage added. I suppose this is the chef's interpretation of a classic creole dish. The white bean soup was very good--we should have stopped there. Jacmel has very limited wine selection, which is strange for an upscale place. The wait staff was very good. I've been to Jacmel several times before, but this was my last.
- Our standby Favorite!CajunGourmandDined on 7/11/2014This is by far the nicest and best restaurant in town. Perhaps the most romantic place in Louisiana. The food is almost always very good at times superb. Our service and meal Friday night was excellent. I had the fish special with the house salad. It was cooked perfectly and the sauce was complimentary and not overpowering or too heavy. We had the new amazing Basil, cucumber, lime martini. It is a perfect refreshing summer cocktail. Very highly crafted and a generous portion. It is a bargain for the prices they charge. Every entree comes with a side vegetable and a choice of salad or soup. That is a deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedhobbit5051Dined on 6/26/2014my wife had scallops and they were great. I had turtle soup that was very good but the filet had no texture at all. I suspect that it had been thawed and refrozen...not what I expect for a $36 piece of beef.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundBrennaBARZDined on 6/21/2014Jacmel Inn is a special place -- great food, cozy ambience, and exemplary service. We always leave completely satisfied and truly amazed at the level of quality this restaurant offers in our small town of Hammond.Special Features:
- hoped for morejustonceDined on 6/21/2014the food was ok, not worth the price IMO. the service was ok, just seemed slow. the tables are small and bunched, everyone's conversations just blend into others. not kid friendly. tried it, won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014This restaurant and others like it would be my restaurant of choice when dining out. The grounds, the interior and the food quality are all first class. Hammond truly has a gem. The food was delicious, as always, however, I was disappointed when I told our server that we needed to eat "heart healthy" and she said "good luck". I thought that she should have at least checked with the chef to see if we could be somewhat accommodated. We ordered the lesser of all the evils, the amberjack, but grilled vegetables instead of a potato cake would have been much better. Because of this, I am not sure I will be returningSpecial Features:
- Small restaurant feelCruisinmanDined on 6/14/2014Beautiful old time building with huge bar and very friendly staff. Attentive wait staff and food was served fresh and hot. Comfortable place with no pretension. Easy parking. Handicapped friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just amazing!TiffmooreDined on 5/23/2014Can't wait to go back again. Perfect for my 40th birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining1stladytuckerDined on 5/16/2014That was my first time dining there. It was recommended by a coworker who frequently dines there. I made reservations online stating in was my husband's birthday and they seated us in a very cozy little section of the restaurant. From the beginning of our arrival the staff took care of us. We will be dining there again very soon. Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- treat myselfQUINCYDined on 4/30/2014I DRIVE TO HAMMOND FROM BATON ROUGE JUST TO EAT HERE. EVERYTHING IS GREAT AND A-1 EXCEPT THE STAIRS AND RESTROOMS.THEY ARE A LAWSUIT WAITING TO HAPPEN. I WROTE ABOUT THIS BACK IN FEBRUARY. THE STAIR RAIL IS RICKETY!!!! THERE IS ALMOST NO LIGHTING AT THE LANDING AND LITTLE LIGHTING IN THE REST ROOMS. IT IS ALMOST LIKE TWO DIFFERENT PLACES. I LOVE THIS PLACE AND HAVE BEEN COMING HERE FROM BATON ROUGE FOR 20 YEARS. HOWWEVER; IT APPEARS THAT IT IS BEING NEGLECTED.Special Features:
- Great, romantic placeTmule777VIPDined on 4/29/2014The food was excellent. The menu could have been more extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up TimeTravel4funDined on 4/20/2014We were a table that grew and grew the restaurant was still able to accommodate us and was gracious about it . The wait staff was very good and so things went smoothly we were 14 at table. the food was very good and well presented. I have been coming here for over 30 years and the restaurant has had it's ups and downs I am very pleased to report that we are in an up time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foot was good. Staff was friendlyDonacondaDined on 3/22/2014Foot was good. Staff was friendly and accomadatingSpecial Features:
- food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/20/2014The food was good. Service was very attentive so I give it a five star rating. Plan to visit again when I am in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to prior experiencefoodie1Dined on 3/15/2014Food was OK, but not what I would categorize as delicious. We asked our waiter and bus boy on 3 different occasions to turn the AC down as there was a vent located underneath our table. No one ever acknowledged our request so I would rate this as unresponsive to our needs.Special Features:
- Always specialJacksonsDined on 3/14/2014We have always thought of Jacmel's as our 'special occasion' place to go. Very nice ambiance, but did not feel like there were very many appealing choices for luncheon on their menu the day we were there. Restaurant was very slow, and unfortunately, so was the service. Food was good, but not great. We still enjoyed our visit, but mostly because of our history with dining there for the last 35 years or so. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jacmel is not what it used to beKenTDined on 3/9/2014Went for Sunday brunch. There was only one other table occupied when we arrived. Yet, it took an extremely long time for the entrees to come out. Eggs Benedict had Hollandaise sauce that was so thin you almost could not see it. Good thing, too, because it tasted like almost straight lemon juice. Wife's crab cakes were half the size of the ones from our last visit a couple of years ago. Lack of seasoning, too. This used to be one of our favorite restaurants in Hammond. We started dining here in 1996, and went at least twice a month for 10-12 years. But the last 3-4 years the place just is not the same. We consistently get bad food. We leave unhappy, wait a year or two, and try again. Nothing changes for the better. :(
- Too Good to MissDoctorJVIPDined on 3/7/2014This great restaurant is just a short drive from the Mandeville-Covington area, and well worth the trip. If you have a special request or want a different combination of entre and sides, it's no problem for this team. We always leave the Jacmel Inn with smiles on our faces.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014We ate here to celebrate our wedding anniversary . It was nice and quiet, elegant and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another Relaxed night at Jacmel InnKManDined on 2/18/2014Always a comfortable and inviting spot, tucked away in the custom bamboo hedges, Jacmel Inn provides the ambience of peaceful dining with the excitement of never knowing who you might bump into from the local scene. Great food, drink, atmosphere and service always prompt and willing to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!BeProDined on 2/13/2014My husband and I had an early Valentine's Day dinner there. Service was good ( server checked with us often, but did not hover), food was excellent! A definite go-to for special occasions! I wish they had a piano bar to make it perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch.MaryannDined on 2/11/2014This was one of the best dining experiences ever. From the fireplace and ambiance to the excellent service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceKianaDined on 2/11/2014As alway we had a lovely dinner at Jacmel's. The service was impeccable and the food was amazing. We always request to be by the fireplace in the winter, which makes for a very romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.