480 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jackson20.com/
- Phone: 7038422790x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11am, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:15pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Monday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Low Country, American
- Executive Chef: Brian McPherson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Brian McPherson brings his seasonally inspired American cuisine, hand crafted cocktails and the best of local waters and farms from Jackson 20 to all our private events located in the stylish Hotel Monaco Alexandria. Beautifully appointed event space, seating 10 – 150, play host to a myriad of events including intimate wine dinners, swank cocktail parties, elegant rehearsal dinners and beautiful weddings. Our brick lined interior courtyard is ideal for receptions or dining, from Jackson 20 cook-outs to garden-style receptions.
- Special Events: Join us in our outdoor courtyard for our pet friendly doggie Happy Hour from 5-8pm Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning in April. Monthly pig roast April-October the second Wednesday of every month. Occasional beer and wine dinners.
A word from Jackson 20
Jackson 20 is a modern American tavern featuring regional American food inspired by traditional recipes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jackson 20 - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Jackson 20 reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (66)great for outdoor dining (58)fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (44)good for groups (41)great for lunch (31)vibrant bar scene (29)hot spot (23)notable wine list (18)romantic (17)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (9)scenic view (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014All was excellent except the desert which was only fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable good service - great fooddacjfhDined on 9/14/2014never disappointing - sometime too noisy - but this Sunday brunch was just great and the wait staff catered to our guest's special requestsSpecial Features:
- Gem!!!!lambpeteyDined on 9/7/2014Excellent ambiance, food and service. Will definitely be going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TanariogoDined on 9/7/2014This place was great! The service staff was on point, and we had several conversations with the manager, about the restaraunt and life in general. These guys know their stuff and were very freindly. They also made us feel very welcome with our 1 year old son.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unremarkable Sunday BrunchSundayNightDinerDined on 9/7/2014Had brunch on Sunday September 7 with a 12:15pm reservation. A table was available. Noise level was so high that we had to shout to converse with our guests across the table. Could work with the noise level but the food was pedestrian. French toast good. Eggs benedict--bland. Three eggs w/ hash browns--hash browns were tasteless and had the consistency of cardboard. Have had very good evening meals when the noise level and quality of food was much better in each case. Would not recommend nor return for brunch.
- so-so breakfastContentVIPDined on 9/6/2014having been to the bar several times and having had dinner once, I had confidence I could entertain several old friends for breakfast at Jackson 20. I was disappointed from the minute coffee was served, and the cream was curdled, all the way through to finish. The presentation was poor and the food was so-so. One of my friends ordered poached eggs and was served fried over hard. They joked that next time they would select the breakfast place.
- Very DisappointingrespecttableDined on 9/4/2014After reading the reviews we decided to try it again because past experiences were disappointing. Started with the tomato salad and it was terrible. It could have fed a party of 3 and while a good idea with red pepper jelly - their seemed to be half a jar of it on my plate. Bigger is not better - the chef should go for delicate and subtle. My husband ordered the goat - but the ravioli that came with it was uneatable. The service was great - but the food miserable - we will never return. Looks like that is the feeling from many as the place was not even half full when we arrived and even emptier when we left.
- Love coming heresusanismVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great salmon dish..love the menu concept. Good service.....a place to keep coming back to enjoySpecial Features:
- Great service!RachelLDined on 8/31/2014The servers and bartenders always have a smile on their face, and that makes me smile! I've been here a few times and I've never been disappointed in their food. The squash blossoms are my absolute favorite. Great mixed drinks too.Special Features:
- Not too impressedCman923Dined on 8/31/2014Went to this resteraunt for a special occasion dinner with my girlfriend. I was hoping to go somewhere fancy for a special weekend. First impression was that it was warm there especially for us since we were in dress clothes. The hostess was very nice but spoke softly and was hard to understand. We got there almost an hour before our reservation but they took is in early anyways. Once we got seated our waiter came out to take our order and was also very quiet and hard to understand. He was foreign and did not show much personality at all. I ordered the Amish chicken which was great but the steak my sig other got was unimpressive and very fatty. Overall I think it was overpriced for the entire experience, but not completely awful.Special Features:
- Middle of the roadNayfromLADined on 8/29/2014The waiter was not very enthusiastic. We sat outside. He did not offer all the menus to us, did not mention happy hour deals and only came to our table when we called to him. We had to ask other waiters to help us. We saw food items on tables that were not on the menu. He told us they were on the bar menu......silence. UH, may we order them too? Yes......silence. 'May we have a bar menu? 'Ok'. You get the picture. Food was good. Drinks were potent! Loved eating outside on the street people watching. Dogs were everywhere at the tables outside. The greeter kept them happy with dog biscuits and water bowls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunchkathulahDined on 8/24/2014Best brunch, with indoor and outdoor options. .................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a great morningusedtorecommendJ20Dined on 8/24/2014Made resevations early in the week, waited for our table, was sat in the back by the kitchen and bathrooms, traffic central made the morning seem like we were in an alley way, corn fritters, gummy,grits expensive and zero flavor other than water,everyone was afraid to say how bad it was from the past. the saving grace was the endless mamosas boy did we need them that morning, which are not in the meus anymore Will not recommend again
- Yum Yum YumjustbeckyDined on 8/21/2014Came here for dinner the other night and service was absolutely amazing! My friends and I could not get enough of the Tomato Salad with the creamy cheese, spicy jam and sweet candied onions... yum! We will be back for sure, maybe we will do one of the private pig parties before the weather gets too cold.Special Features:
- Great food, even better serviceMamaJRHDined on 8/20/2014First time going here--and we will be back--went for restaurant week and even though I stayed with the normal menu, it was fantastic. The service was wonderful and when the manager did a table check and told us about pickled fried okra that was not on the menu--we gasped!! It was only on the bar menu...some showed up at our table a bit later---it was amazing. Also a great place to sit at the bar and have some of their fabulous appetizers. The charcuterie plate is not to miss--chefs in house made special! I am from New Orleans and this food made this southern girl smile--i will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/20/2014Good seating outdoors. Service was exceptional -- special kudo to Hector. Deviled eggs a particular joy and the potato salad was delicious.Special Features:
- Probably won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014I hadn't been to Jackson20 in probably 5 yrs. We chose this place for its outdoor seating. We went during restaurant week and ordered off of special 3 course menu. The appetizers and entrees were slow to arrive and it was mediocre at best. The cod lacked seasoning and the risotto seemed undercooked. The waitress never cracked a smile, and she seemed like either she was a very unhappy person or having a terrible day. She had tables both indoors and outdoors (which seems odd) so we didn't see her very much. We asked for some more ice but she never brought it to us, so I went to the bar to get some and she never said anything. Given our check was over $60/pp, you would think that we'd get a much better meal.Special Features:
- Good, but loud.SteveDined on 8/17/2014Good but not extensive brunch menu. Quite loud. Reminded us of some New York restaurant/pubs.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodTheWakoKidDined on 8/16/2014Visited for restaurant week. The prix fixe menu offered excellent choices. Ham & Corn fritters could have used a bit more ham, but were delicious nonetheless. Gazpacho was amazing. All entrees (kielbasa & pierogies, chicken, and cod) were delicious and cooked to near perfection. I particularly liked the pierogies (w/kielbasa) and the risotto & tomato marmalade (w/cod). Sometimes the sides outshine the focal point of the dish here, but I think that reflects their efforts to create well-balanced dishes and promote sides beyond afterthoughts. It works. The service was excellent per usual. Jackson 20 offers pretty good value any time, but particularly during restaurant week.Special Features:
- Wait stAffOldtownfoodieDined on 8/16/2014Consistently has best in class wait staff. Variety and quality of good is stand own. Great chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing for a KimptonOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014Walked out of Jackson 20 truly disappointed. A colleague recommended the place and as a rule, we enjoy Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants. Not this one! Server really didn't have a grasp of the menu or offerings. Multiple courses arrived simultaneously, food brought out w/no utensils on the table, pierogies were over fried and tough, appetizers were bland, nothing really veg friendly, and we waited a bit longer than we should have to place an order or for our courses to arrive. Only one of the four of us finished our meal. Only stand out dish was the vanilla gelato (the only gelato we were told they had in the alleged "assortment of gelatos" on the menu).
- Did not honor Restaurant Week deal.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I came here for the D.C. Restaurant Week promotion. Only to find out they only honor that promotion Monday through Friday. I was not informed of this stipulation at all. My only option was to order from the menu, the brunch menu. On Saturday! Brunch on Saturday? Also, I did not receive the appetizer I ordered until after the main course was served. I will never visit Jackson 20 again. There are too many better options available.
- try the ribsnicknamedDined on 8/14/2014Remember Col. Elmer Ellsworth, the first Union officer killed in the Civil War, at the location of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome for brunch w/ girlfriends!Cita13Dined on 8/10/2014Went to this spot on Sunday and we had an amazing and yummy time! I highly recommend the $14 all you can drink mimosa deal!Special Features:
- Good Food-Slow ServiceOuting4GroupsDined on 8/5/2014We made reservations during the week for a group of 10. We adjusted the reservation twice the day of and they were very helpful and accommodating. When we arrived the table was ready and we sat immediately. Unfortunately we just sat. The service was extremely slow (both at the bar and at the table). There were only another 6 or 7 tables being used in the entire restaurant and more than one waiter/waitress. It took over 2 hours for our group of 10 to get our food and drinks. Luckily we were not in a hurry, but it was a bit annoying looking for the wait staff every time we ran out of something or needed something additional. The food was very good and we would go back for the food. Just be aware the service could take a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seen Better DaysSouthernComfortDined on 8/4/2014I really was excited to visit Jackson 20 on my college visit trip in the DC-Virginia area. I was looking forward to a few days of southern comfort food indulgence. The food was decent, but the environment and ambiance were a bit off.
- Fantastic creative foodMattDined on 8/2/2014The house-cured prosciutto with super thin sliced melon, ramps and blackberries was a fantastic intro to our meal. THe Goat with sweet potato ravioli was perfectly cooked and fantastic. You don't see goat on a menu very often and glad this was executed perfectly. Without question, I'll be dining here againSpecial Features:
- Great FoodDavidBDined on 8/2/2014We have a fantastic meal, food was very good and service excellentSpecial Features:
- Interesting entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Great food. Bison hangar steak, goat - highly flavorful, enticing. Service impeccable. A must try. Active bar scene makes it a little noisy.Special Features:
- Pretty good!Motherof3Dined on 8/1/2014The food was pretty good. I got the special with the beef brisket served on sour doe bread with mash potatoes and collars greens for the sides. The brisket was very tender and was very good with the bbq sauce. They mash potatoes where very bland but the collards were good. I didn't think the food was worth the cost but I guess the cost just comes with it being a tourist spot. The $20 bottle of Moscato was a nice deal and compliment to our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmingpguy55VIPDined on 7/27/2014Hostess was great. Although we arrived 15 minutes late for our brunch reservation, she was able to get us another table right away. Waitstaff not so great. After sitting ignored for 15 minutes I had to ask another table's waiter for service. Our waiter told my wife that the milk steamer for cappuccino was broken. Halfway through our meal we saw another table served a cappuccino. Food was OK, but nothing memorable. Tables were much too close together. Dining room was also very hot. Another underwhelming experience in Old Town.
- Good discovery!2fromArlDined on 7/26/2014We went because we got a postcard offering a discount, were looking for a new-to-us spot - and the photo of the crispy squash blossom looked yummy. It was! Met friends and we all agree we'll go back even w/out the dining discount. Bar service was quick, quirky and fun. table service was excellent. Only quibble would be having our reserved table be located next to the kitchen when there appeared to be other spots available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CairnsNHDined on 7/26/2014The location and ambiance was nice. Our window table let us watch the folks strolling Kin Street. The squash blossoms and charcuterie were great, but we found our entrees lacking. Consensus of our group was that our hopes weren't met.Special Features:
- OK= business lunch, service lackingRickVIPDined on 7/24/2014My meal was good. I had the steak salad and it comes w/ 3 interesting small sides. Everyone at my table liked our meals. The restaurant was quiet and worked well for a business lunch. Our server was friendly but never came by once our meals were served to see if we needed anything and never refilled our water/drinks. The server also never asked if we wanted coffee or desert (which I know at least 1 of us would have) and she just dropped the check off after they took our plates. If our server would have been more attentive I would have given this 4 stars but service was not good.Special Features:
- Great staff and foodTimmDined on 7/20/2014This is a place that we can go with our dog, get a friendly greeting, and not have to sacrifice on food quality or service. The hostess is wonderful and greeted our dog by name on the second visit. All of the servers are great and some even beyond great. We loved the fritters as a appetizer and the banana pudding was worth the extra calories. We were staying in the attached hotel, so we had several meals here. The Eggs Benedict for breakfast was very good.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerBetsyDined on 7/19/2014Excellent Saturday night dinner. Server (Justin) was excellent. Food very good. More than two large tables made our entrees slow to come to the table but a bread basket helped mitigate the delay. Mixed drink very good. The restaurant is very loud and the tables are close enough together that this is not a romantic or private dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AllergiesAbebabeVIPDined on 7/19/2014Accommodated allergies and early arrival. Food preparation was slow and out of ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nuyokaDined on 7/19/2014Excellent location for Saturday breakfast or brunch before or after visiting the great Alexandria Market just one block away. Free parking til 12:30PM on Saturday at the city lot under the market. Good selection of menu items at the restaurant. Worth exiting through the Hotel Monaco lobby.Special Features:
- SurlydinerDined on 7/12/2014Came to old town for dinner without realizing that there were fireworks scheduled, made a quick reservation at Jackson 20 and was pleased with the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor food & serviceDCBadgerVIPDined on 7/12/2014The server highly recommended the goat. I usually love goat, but this was dry and stringy and lacked flavor. The ravioli that it came with actually tasted like it was filled with nacho cheese from the football stadium. The whole thing was terrible and the server never really checked on us so I just didn't eat dinner. The drinks are good--stick with the bar.Special Features: