2400 West Coast Highway
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jackshrimp.com/
- Phone: 9496505577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:15pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jack
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Selected menu items available for large parties.
- Private Party Facilities: J Lounge Wine Bar and Upper Outdoor Deck (covered) available for private events. Restaurant Buyout available.
- Private Party Contact: Jack Jasper 9496505577
A word from JACKshrimp
JACKshrimp specializes in authentic Louisiana cuisine featuring such dishes as Jambalaya, Catfish, Gumbo, Cajun Shrimp or Salmon Tacos and our house specialities: JACKshrimp and JACKrice! We also feature several non-spicy dishes, house-made soups, salads, and pastas. We"ve got BBQ Pork Sandwiches, Blackened Prime Rib, Stoganoff Royale, and Cheddar Burgers for the meat lovers. Lighter fare includes: Seared Ahi, Mango Beet Salad, Cajun Chicken Hummus, and the Omega Vega Vegan Tacos to name a few. There's something for everyone!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
JACKshrimp reviews from OpenTable diners
- This place is average. It'sKittysqueakyDined on 3/23/2013This place is average. It's ok if you have a coupon so you don't pay too much. Wouldn't go back otherwise
- Shrimp overcook; Appetizr overpriceAliceVIPDined on 3/23/2013The table we had (for 6) was set up quite awkward, because a table for 2 was setup "right behind" us. The service was a bit slow, maybe because it's a busy Sat evening. The appetizers were a bit overprice. "Jacksause with bread" really is just a bowl of sauce with bread; and "Shrimp stuffed avocado" only has 1/2 avocado; but both cost $8. Entries are better but some shrimps are overcooked.Special Features:
- Inconsistent service, feltOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2013Inconsistent service, felt discriminated against. I will NOT be visiting again.Special Features:
- It took us a bit longer toOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/9/2013It took us a bit longer to get appetizers but our waiter nice enough to comp drinks and appetizers. Our entrees came out on time and it was an overall good dining experience.Special Features:
- Had reservations for 5, arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/3/2013Had reservations for 5, arrived at 10 minutes to 5 and was told we were early. Told a few minutes later that they didn't have a table for us in the restaurant but they could set up tables for us in the bar. We took that option, 1 waitress to service us in addition to all the individuals in the bar therefore service wasn't the best. By the time we received our meals, they were luke warm. We were so ready to leave. This was a first visit to this restaurant and you know that old saying "first impressions", we will never visit again.
- The place is CRAZY. We hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013The place is CRAZY. We had a Travelzoo voucher. When I called to make reservation, I was told that they only take reservations for groups with 6 or more people. When our family of 4 showed up at the restaurant, we were told that there is an one-hour wait. But the hostess told us that we may be able to reserve with OpenTable. Guess what? We were able to make a reservation right there using my iPhone for a time slot just 15 minutes later??!
- Disappointing. B team?jaclynkbVIPDined on 2/17/2013Jack Shrimp is on my regular dining rotation. This night was off. Service was prompt at first but once our orders were placed were hardly saw the server again. A friend who could not join us for the dinner called in, ordered, and paid for a dessert for our table as surprise. It never arrived. Yet she was charged. Usually the food is good. The butternut squash ravioli came overcooked and drowning in cheese and lukewarm. I might give this place another chance, as I do go often, but if this turns out to be a sign of things to come, I will have to finally take Jack Shrimp off my list. I have given it a few second chances already, especially with service. I do want to see this place hit its stride.Special Features:
- we have eaten at jack shrimpOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013we have eaten at jack shrimp since they opened the newport beach location. We have always enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. Our last visit was somewhat different. I had made reservations and we arrived about 10 minutes early. the only table they had available was one right in front of the door that you use to enter the restaurant. This table was definitely an after thought. It was in a separate room with no connection to the restaurant at all. It was like being invited to someones house for dinner and then they put you in their garage. the food was good but my husband was not happy at all, so that put a damper on the evening. If we go ack i will have to request a different table for sure!~
- LOVE this place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013JACKshrimp was delicious as always! The best food, service, and BREAD in Newport Beach. I usually order the Jambalaya (which is the best thing on the menu, in my opinion) but this time decided to switch it up and get the Voodoo Chicken and Pasta, it did not disappont! My BF ordered the Spicy Creole Pasta w/ shrimp, I had a few bites and it was great as usual. We love this place for a dinner date, but we've also had parties in the upstairs area and it is always a crowd pleaser. We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- Food: good, service: good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2013Food: good, service: good, ambience: ok. Restaurant is very dim. Not sure whether we would revisit unless there's another groupon.
- It's like the French QuarterOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/31/2012It's like the French Quarter meets the Pacific. The restaruant has the aumbiance and personality of a French Quarter experience (less the Hurricanes) right on PCH. The menu is simple and straight to the point. A good variety of of flavors for most everyone's liking.Special Features:
- The location of the restaurantRussDined on 12/26/2012The location of the restaurant is across the street from Newport Bay in the downtown Coast Highway area. I always thought J.S. was a fast food seafood place, so we were pleasantly surprised. We stopped by on a cold, winter afternoon, but decided to sit outside because of the wind screens and heat lamps in the patio. Our concern was that the food would be too spicy; however, we found meals that worked well for us. My selection was "Sweet Thing", spaghetti with grilled chicken and shrimp in a garlic, white wine sauce. It was excellent. My wife enjoyed her cajun shrimp tacos; she asked for the sauce on the side. Again, we were pleasantly surprised and will not hesitate to visit again.Special Features:
- We had reservations from OpenStarcruiserVIPDined on 12/21/2012We had reservations from Open Table. We were early so they seated us at a bar area. We ordered drinks on the menu and then were charged $14 instead if the $11 on the menu. Got that fixed by complaining. Then when our reservation time came up, they told us they didn't take reservations for less than six...note I had both the e-mail confirmation and their original verbal confirmation. Finally afyter talking to the manager, we were seated. Took 40 minutes to get served, but the food was excellent. Draw you own conclusions. The food was good and the Manager tried to make things right, but they need to train the staff!
- "The Best"Prof1Dined on 12/2/2012Excellent dinner - the Jack Shrimp is wonderful and a little New Orleans spicy, but yummy - been going to this restaurant for about 15 years and highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Very good. I like they offerChrissieVIPDined on 11/17/2012Very good. I like they offer both lunch & dinner portions on the menu. Shrimp is good enough to be in the name. Good flavorful plates.Special Features:
- This was an EXCELLENT eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2012This was an EXCELLENT evening with the service and food. They allow you to bring in your own bottle of wine and as this was a special occasion, we brought in a bottle of SILVER OAK! What a pleasure!!!Special Features:
- Love the signature "Jack Shrimp"heizebububeVIPDined on 11/9/2012Love the signature "Jack Shrimp" and they have a great rewards program. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- Come here for the Jack Shrimp!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/21/2012Come here for the Jack Shrimp! Kids menu needs to be more kid friendly (mac n cheese needs to be orange)!!
- Shrimp and pasta.....ReddsuzannDined on 10/21/2012outstanding.. as always...love this fantastic restaurant...Special Features:
- Amazing place - incredible food.Bryannb2014Dined on 10/19/2012Amazing place!!! Incredible menu- awesome service. I forgot how great JackShrimp was. I haven't been there in years. My wife and I were blown away. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Our reservation was for 7:15OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012Our reservation was for 7:15 but they didn't seat us until 7:45 there's a lounge to wait in but the restaurant is wine and beer only. We ordered the crab dip appetizer it was very fishy and not what we expected but the waiter was really nice and let us order something else. The jackshrimp was really good
- The food is always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2012The food is always excellent and very flavorful. We are never disappointed when we eat there. Many of the dishes have overly generous portions of meat in them that we often order extra rice or pasta and then wind up with leftovers. You wind up with 2 meals for the price of one. There were new menu items at our last visit, so I tried one and loved it.Special Features:
- Food was somewhat bland includingKittysqueakyDined on 9/25/2012Food was somewhat bland including their specialty the JackShrimp
- disappointedLuvfoodVIPDined on 9/8/2012very disappointed, the food was quite awful actually, sorry we wont be returning
- OK if you're lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/8/2012Food was pretty good. Nothing to get excited about.
- Favorite!Prof1Dined on 9/8/2012Excellent - favorite 'go to' restaurant- casual - the jack shrimp is the best (think New Orleans!!) Also a very varied, yummy menu for anyone in the party who doesn't like a little spicy.Special Features:
- Unfortunately we ran lateGaryDined on 9/3/2012Unfortunately we ran late due to the holiday traffic and several accidents. We arrived 20 minutes late to find out they close for lunch at 2:30pm and our reservation was for 2:15pm.They wouldn't let us in.......
- Gem you go keep going back to...ReddsuzannDined on 9/1/2012If you are in Newport Beach on PCH stop at JACKshrip and get some of the best shrimp and pasta...... Jack the owner is fantastic...... Love our lil place by the bay.Special Features:
- The food was just okay. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2012The food was just okay. My friend and I both ordered the jambalia with shrimp. The shrimp were warm (although overcooked) but the rest of the food was cold.
- Outstanding Jack Shrimp (bringsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2012Outstanding Jack Shrimp (brings back memories of the Killer Shrimp in Marina del Rey)and Banana Rasberry Creme Brulee. Very casual atmosphere, very friendly staff. Easy to find, plenty of offstreet parking in the rear. Odd restaurant layout inside & pretty sad decor.Special Features:
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2012Absolutely the best jambalaya in the world. Tasty tasty. Great serviceSpecial Features:
- Food good. Experience better w OT.jaclynkbVIPDined on 7/6/2012One of my favorite restaurants, mostly because of it's unique (for OC) cajun/creole menu. Service has improved now with OpenTable. Previously, I could never get a reservation, since my group size was typically 4 or under. Commonly, I would find myself sitting outside shuttering in the cold ocean breeze for 40 minutes for a table or, if lucky, inside the top "bar" area that did not really serve drinks or food. After almost 10 years of loyalty, we were about ready to give up on the place that treated up like red-headed stepchildren when it came to getting a table. I am so glad OpenTable could resolve this one problem we had with the place. That said, try the Feta Shrimp, Jack Rice, pasta anything, gumbo, and red beans and rice.Special Features:
- The food and the service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2012The food and the service was very good as was the location. Very casual and yet nice - the only draw-back was the limited wine list but we still had a nice time.Special Features:
- I really like the flavorsFancyDined on 5/13/2012I really like the flavors of shrimp boils and such. But this place didn't really do it for me. We ordered the salmon tacos, the Jackshrimp rice, the Jackshrimp pasta and the Jacksauce appetizer and the ahi tuna entree. I must say that the ahi tuna entree was a bit boring. It came with an 1/8 of a cup of plain, under seasoned brown rice and squirts of wasabi. The cole slaw was nothing special either. I feel that I've tasted all they have to offer and there really wasn't anything memorable EXCEPT for the owners. They were very very very sweet and hospitable. My advice: add some color to your JACKshrimp rice and pasta dishes, find more inventive ways to plate and look for ways to add some pizzazz to the food. Plating is very important.
- Great food, great service.VERYdisappointedDined on 4/11/2012Great food, great service. Good Cajun food is hard to find..but you can get it here!Special Features:
- Truly a neighborhood gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/30/2012Truly a neighborhood gem!! Service is personal and friendly. Food is packed with flavor! We always have a wonderful time at Jack's.Special Features: