Jacks - Portola Hotel & Spa
Two Portola Plaza
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Jacks - Portola Hotel & Spa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jacksrestaurantlounge.com/
- Phone: 8316492698
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 10:30am
Saturday & Sunday: 6:00am - 11:00am
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am-2:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jason Giles
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our wine room-inspired private dining room provides a secluded yet elegant space for your party of up to 22. Order from Jacks menu, or work with our chef to customize your own.
- Private Party Contact: Christian Ross 8316474805
- Entertainment: Live music in Jacks Lounge from 6:00pm - 8:00pm every Friday night.
- Special Events: Portola Hotel & Spa is the perfect place to host your special occasion. A birthday, bridal luncheon, rehearsal dinner or big group, Jacks private dining room is the perfect intimate atmosphere for your special event. Our tasting room-inspired private dining room provides a secluded yet elegant space for your party of up to 22. Order from Jack’s menu, or work with our chef to customize your own.
- Cross Street: Alvarado & Del Monte
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Complete a relaxing dining experience with our complimentary valet parking for hybrid vehicles, available just steps from Jacks at the Portola Hotel and Spa entrance. Or park in our garage & get a complimentary stamp for three hours.
A word from Jacks - Portola Hotel & Spa
Ideal for any occasion, Jacks Restaurant offers the finest local cuisine the Central Coast has to offer. Sit down for breakfast featuring a European breakfast buffet, lunch with the best salad bar in town, and dinner for a great steak or seafood on our outdoor patio or indoors in our comfortable fireside dining room.Pair your meal with a selection from our extensive wine list that highlights Monterey County's diverse viticulture tradition, or complement your selection with Fair Trade organic coffee or tea from Peerless Coffee, a proud family-owned business that has been a Northern California tradition for 86 years. At Jacks Restaurant, you'll find a deliciously unique Monterey flavor and a cozy coastal locale, all in historic downtown. Come visit us soon – we look forward to sharing our passion for sustainable dining with you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jacks - Portola Hotel & Spa - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Jacks - Portola Hotel & Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (23)special occasion (22)romantic (16)great for brunch (12)fit for foodies (11)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- BruceVIPDined on 10/23/2014Jack's is my "go to" restaurant for business meetings. It is fantastic in all respects!
- Dinner at Jack'sAplebeDined on 10/13/2014Like to go to Jack's for a special occasion or a nice dinner out. The wine list, the food preparation and presentation, the service, the deserts, the environment, and ambiance all very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our breakfast favoriteKaraki6Dined on 10/12/2014We likes to go to Jacks for breakfast with family and friends, always been good, food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet!PVQueenDined on 10/10/2014So cool that we didn't have to drive anywhere as were stayed at the Hotel as well. Drank wine and it was all good. We had Prime Rib and The sand dabs. Both were excellent! Crème Brule was our dessert choice and it was spot on! Live music, fire pits, and over sized booths all added to the entertaining server, wonderful chef, and bountiful wine list with local choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!zoeyspalDined on 9/20/2014This is our second visit to Jacks. Each time, we were not disappointed. Excellent food, and great customer service! We will definitely be back next time we are in Monterey!Special Features:
- Good service and even better foodThisisdankDined on 9/16/2014Whenever we go to jacks it seems to be a slower night but it's still a great place to eat dinner because the food is fabulous. The servers are always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014Service was great if not outstanding food tast was just so so not the best by far and presentation of the food was badSpecial Features:
- Perfect omeletshelDined on 9/7/2014We had a locals party of 7, including 2 young children, for Sunday brunch and were seated at a perfect big round table. Everyone enjoyed the meal, which was a nice assortment of breakfast traditions with some creative flair. The best part was the omelet chef, a woman whose name I didn't think to observe, but she was the quintessential professional at the omelet bar, preparing individually perfect omelets while engaging each customer in warm conversation. We'll be back - just to have another of her wonderful concoctions.Special Features:
- DecentDesdeVIPDined on 8/31/2014I've been to Jack's for dinner and it was a completely different scene for brunch. There weren't many food options, but what they had was good, especially for the price. It was the basics: french toast, omelet bar, sausage, bacon, potatoes, fruit, yogurt and pastries. Nothing to write home about really. What I did not like was the attitude the wait staff and omelet bar chef had. They seemed unhappy to be at work at and not eager to be serving you. The "bottomless" mimosas had to be hunted down. I don't think I saw anyone smile. Made our brunch experience a little awkward.Special Features:
- Fabulous Brunch Spot!MontereyDogMomDined on 8/31/2014We had brunch at Jacks for the first time last Sunday, and it was a real treat! Made to order omelets, Eggs Benedict (if you ask), loads of fresh fruits and cheeses, cold cuts, pancakes, French toast, lox and bagels, pastries -- in particular the most divine scones imaginable, and I believe all the mimosas you can drink. The food was all delicious and abundant (no limit on trips to the food stations), and the servers were very helpful and polite. I consciously had to refrain from trying everything that appealed to me as I knew that my stomach would pay the price later. Rather, we will definitely make a return trip to Jacks brunch to taste the offerings I missed on my first visit. Would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys brunch!Special Features:
- Business meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/27/2014Kindly held us a table in the back corner, very quiet. Good food, attentive service.
- first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/19/2014Was introduced to Jack's by Travelzoo when we were visiting Monterey for a little getaway. Great ambience> Food was tasty. Price was right and an extra bottle of wine was fabulous with the deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for CelebrationsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014We are local and the restaurant is great for celebrations (birthdays, etc.) Couple of big round tables that can comfortable seat 8-9 so everyone can see everyone. Close parking and they validate your parking. Easy access for elderly and handicapped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerSnizzlefritzDined on 7/31/2014Great food, quiet, superb service! Had a wonderful, memorable time together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack VisitJerryDined on 7/22/2014As return customers we anticipated another wonderful evening. Everything was excellent except that our waitperson was less than average. We had to resquest several items and I had to go find him to do so even though there were only three othesr small groups diningSpecial Features:
- GreatKrisDined on 7/17/2014We love Jack's. The food is great!!! The service is very good. The location is great, walking distance to the pier.Special Features:
- HorribleCurtDined on 7/13/2014We ordered the Cioppino and the Ribeye for dinner. Both meals were horrible. The Cioppino rue was oily and did not taste fresh. As for the steak, we requested medium rare and it was prepared well. A total disappointment. I asked the waiter if they could take it off but he said there was no manager on Sunday to void the transaction but gave a small discount. Additionally, he also said that the chef knows that the rue for the Cioppino runs low on Sunday but they don't stop serving it when the order is requested. If I go on, I would just totally keep bashing this place. The negative reviews are correct...Don't go there.
- The following 236 reviews are from the Jacks - Portola Hotel & Spa reviews archive.
- Great Food and ServiceMontereyGemDined on 6/22/2014We recently celebrated my wife's birthday at Jack's, an elegant and well-appointed restaurant within walking distance of the Monterey wharf. My wife was very impressed with seeing Happy Birthday Rose on her menu. The food and service were excellent. I would highly recommend this establishment for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014Filet over cooked, baby carrots almost raw, so not a very happy customer. On the plus side the server was very gracious and comped the steak. Breakfast the next day was much better, buffet style and one of the better ones I have tried.
- Very WelcomingSebastianDined on 6/14/2014The entire staff was very welcoming and friendly. We stayed at your hotel as our son's choice for his 7th Birthday. Our entire stay was very relaxed and the kid's enjoyed the hotel. We will return soon. Many Blessing's to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreathiedeDined on 6/9/2014We had the 'local special' at Jack's which consisted of a salad, choice of meat/fish/chicken and a dessert. The food was fine. The service was a bit lacking as we waited quite awhile in between courses for our waiter. And it wasn't too busy. He was very cordial when he did come. I doubt we would return except perhaps to the bar area for a glass of wine.Special Features:
- Highly recommendednotafoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014It was a great surprise to find that a hotel restaurant had such great food! Everything we ordered was delicious, the service was excellent, and we would definitely return on our next trip to Monterey. The interior design is very traditional and made the fresh, innovative menu all that more surprising.Special Features:
- Like we were the only ones thereSFJohnVIPDined on 5/28/2014We were in Monterey for the day, and I just did a random search for places to eat. After looking at the menu, we decided to stop in, and I have to say that we were not disappointed. There were very few diners in the place, but that had to do with the fact that our reservation was for 6pm; other patrons started coming in around 6:30, and the dining room was filling up. My companion had the salmon, and he was in heaven. I have the rib-eye, and I was quite satisfied; it was cooked as requested. Our server (alas, I do not recall her name) was absolutely pleasant; she talk to me about Goth music from the 80's! We both loved her. I will definitely return here.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service & AmbienceMurrayVIPDined on 5/21/2014This continues to be one of the best spots in Monterey whether you are staying at the Portola Plaza or a local. A quality setting with good food and great service! On top of that, the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Meal ... Great ServiceLoveOpenTableVIPDined on 5/12/2014The food, the wine the ambiance ... all were delightful. Plus, Art was an impeccable server!Special Features:
- Bad Mother's Day LunchJayemesDined on 5/11/2014My reservation was in the first 2 hours of the 'brunch', odd that they chose to call it brunch with no breakfast items. It took a trip to the front counter to get a waiter for drinks more than 10 minutes after being seated. The PDF advertising the lunch listed two types of salmon, the second was just lox for bagels. The chicken was extremely dry on the inside. On the whole I have had better service and food at their regular M-F lunch at Jack's.Special Features:
- Average at best.FloridaFoodDivaVIPDined on 4/28/2014Average at best. Convenient if you are staying in the hotel but that is it.
- Fish without guilt!AssemblageDined on 4/26/2014My wife & I were celebrating out anniversary by going to Monterey. One of our favourite places to go is the fabulous aquarium; due to this, we know about what fish are Green Light worthy. When we looked around for a place to have dinner, my wife had two criteria -- it must serve fish and it must be acceptable to the folks at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Jack's fulfilled this when we looked at their website, so we books a reservation. The staff there was friendly without being pushy, attentive without being in the way. The food was simply amazing, with that true-fish flavour you really want, not overly hidden by sauces. We had a lovely and charming evening there and look forward to returning when we are in the area next!Special Features:
- Do not go for buffetFlowerDined on 4/20/2014We went for Easter buffet. One of the most disipointing buffets ever. Minimal food no variety. One chicken, one fish, one pasta dish and about 4 premade salads. Could have got better food at a restaurant on the WARF.
- GOOD FOOD, NICE AMBIANCEGoddessOfDarkChocolateDined on 4/19/2014We stayed at the Portola Hotel for Easter weekend while visiting friends & family... Jack's is their elegant dining room, and was perfect for some peace & quiet with light snacks of appetizers after full days of celebrating elsewhere... Everything was artistic, and beautifully presented... During our two visits my husband & I had onion soup, pea soup, mussels, crab cakes, fried risotto cakes, and a mixed salad with loads of pecans (I forgot what they named it)... During our second visit, my husband even saved room for a beautiful tart of apples & blueberries with an unusual (and delicious) crust... The staff was always friendly, cheerful, and very attentive... We will definitely be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jacks is always a favoriteDMarie309Dined on 4/18/2014We look forward to eating at Jack's every time we come to Monterey. It is consistently good and the ambiance is perfect. It's not annoyingly loud and the decor is beautiful. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO much improved with theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/8/2014SO much improved with the new chef! He has hit the spot with his organic, sustainable offerings.Special Features:
- Will go againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014My friends and I were looking for a brunch buffet with bottomless mimosas and we came across jacks. The food was delicious and the server made sure our glasses were full. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bumbling BlundersMargotVIPDined on 3/29/2014Service was completely disorganized & dysfunctional: We had to find wait staff to show us the special, local menu of the eve, as well as a wine list; I had to ask for the wine I ordered be brought before the entree; a salad never arrived; & my husband's sand dabs was 80% coating. He will never return.
- Best Brunch Ever!!AlanaDined on 3/29/2014My friends and I went here for a pre-bachelorette party brunch, and we LOVED it! Our waiter was very attentive the whole time, and the food was delicious. The restaurant wasn't too crowded, but it wasn't empty. The made-to-order french toast and pancakes were very good, and we didn't feel like we had to rush to finish. We sat and enjoyed our mimosas for a while after finishing our food, and the waiter was great about keeping them filled. Apparently there is some rule that you can't have more than four an hour, but he made no mention of that. I will definitely be bringing our families back here during our wedding week! Amazing restaurant! Can't believe I've been here for over a year and didn't know about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monterey great timeLeapinleotusDined on 3/24/2014Great restaurant with good food. Wine list somewhat limited. Quiet dining with very good service. Would go again. Good special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Jacksluv2dineDined on 3/14/2014The dinner was excellent! Best filet mignon I've ever had in my life. We had cheesecake for dessert. It was excellent and the portion size was perfect.Special Features:
- Solid traditional hotel restaurantUkaricanFoodieVIPDined on 3/7/2014Good food, well presented, generous portions. My scallops were exquisitely done;I've never had pureed califlower that smooth before. The pork osso bucco was a big portion, a little heavy on the salt. Nice California local wine list as well at reasonable prices. The bar has a great happy hour deal of half price wines by the glass and half price cheese board.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for a relaxing lunchRickzVIPDined on 2/24/2014Second time we have been there and once again the service was excellent. The seafood special (salmon) was perfectly done. The chicken sandwich was very tasty and moist and came with a very nice side salad. The prices are quite reasonable. Also, if you use the parking garage the restaurant validates for 3 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DInerEstarDined on 2/23/2014Beautiful Dining area.. roomy and private if you want. Made for the romantics to enjoy the privacy to the gathering event of a large group, Now the food was excellent.. Appitizers are good portions, I had crap cakes with the best sauce ever.. My daughter had the Muscles and the Chorizo blend, now that was a great creation.. Hats off to the talented Chef and staff. My filet Migon was cut with a fork only.. that should tell anyone the quality of the meats and the way it was prepared.. I would love to plan an event and use this restaurant. I was so pleased with the experience that it is on my list of Fine Dining. I have frequent many restaurants in Carmel, Monterey and Pacific Grove.. I am a great cook and very hard to please. I was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.