Jack's Oyster House
42-44 State Street
Albany, NY 12207Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Jack's Oyster House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jacksoysterhouse.com/
- Phone: (518) 465-8854
- Hours of Operation:
Open 365 days a year, Sunday Thru Saturday 11:30am - 10:00pm!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Luc Pasquier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a wide range of options for parties of all sizes.
- Private Party Contact: Marisa Trepaso 5184658854
- Special Events: We have a wide range of options for parties of all sizes.
A word from Jack's Oyster House
For nearly a century, Jack’s has been an integral part of Albany’s landscape. Long considered the hot spot for politicians and the famous, Jack’s ambiance is reminiscent of the clubby New York style restaurants so in vogue today. Opened in 1913 by Jack Rosenstein, the restaurant has been continuously operated by the same family and is now under the direction of grandson, Brad. In his pursuit of excellence, Brad persuaded French Certified Master Chef Luc Pasquier, one of only 52 in the United States, to combine their talents to create the ultimate dining experience. In their dedication to the tradition of Jack’s, they have developed a menu to satisfy their faithful clientele as well as delight a new generation of Jack’s customers. Chef Pasquier's exciting and unique cooking style, along with our staffs' warmth and hospitality, will make for many memorable dining moments.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Jack's Oyster House - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Jack's Oyster House reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (22)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Old School with a high priceJDMJRDined on 11/14/2014The service was excellent and the space is nice, but if you're looking to spend a lot of money for great food, Jack Oyster's is past its prime. The food was nothing to write home about. The seafood tower was very small and mostly raw. My party each had a steak - my filet was over cooked, the other filet was really rare and the delmonico was about medium rare which all three had requested. The mashed potatos were dry and missing flavor. We were celebrating birthdays and two very nice deserts were given on the house. The bill was just shy of $300 - at $100 a person, i could have found much better food. The service was excellent - warm welcoming when walking in and table service was fantastic. Time to upgrade the food!
- Great Dinner even better servicetroyfoodieDined on 11/9/2014The service is amazing at Jacks and the food is excellent as well. The staff go above and beyond and actually seem happy to be there, unlike some restaurants I have been to in Albany lately.Special Features:
- Good, but could be betterCourtneyDined on 10/25/2014The food was good, but it could have been better for what they charged. My steak was over cooked.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantBnapDined on 10/25/2014Jack's is a very nice Steak and Seafood House. Much like the great ones in New York City. The Food was excellent and the Service was excellent. We had the Extravagant Seafood Towe and the Oysters for Appetizers. All were very good. For dinner we had the Filet Dinner, with Crab Cakes and the 2 1/2 pound Lobster and they were both excellent. If you want to go to a Great Steak house and don't want to go into New York, try Jack's. Ample parking and a nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Old World JemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Loved the atmosphere which takes you back 100 years. Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbDined on 10/20/2014The food was awesome, wait staff wonderful, no complaint from my party of six and that amazing in itself, great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Great food great service great historic spot in AlbanySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic 1st Class experienceWjaCDined on 10/16/2014Delicious, classic steak-seafood establishment. Food and service are above the norm. There is obviously a true chef in this kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you for great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I have been to Jack's Oyster house before but October 10 was a my sons 16th birthday so it was special meal. Though the food was excellent the waitstaff was outstanding. They made the dining experience very special indeed. We will return, very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicejerriVIPDined on 10/10/2014Food was pretty good....service was excellent! Amazing..Special Features:
- Leon our waiter was greatVineyardDined on 10/10/2014Great service. Ambiance was good for a Friday night before an event meal. The steak was good but not melt in your mouth what I was expecting for the high end price and reputation.I will give Jack's another try..Special Features:
- 100 years and staying strongDanDDined on 10/6/2014Jacks opened in 1913 and if you eat there you will know why they have flourished for all this time. The room, the food, the service and the presentation make Jack's a must experience if you are in the Albany a weekSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodYummy2014Dined on 10/4/2014We started off with a half dozen oysters and ended up getting another platter---that's how incredible they were! Our entrees were delicious--from steaks to sole, all so good...where our dining experience lacked was service...our waitress was quite friendly but not attentive...she didn't know the specials, sides and neglected to refill water and coffee...brought wrong vegetables...disappointing---but the ambiance and food both exceeded expectations:)Special Features:
- Nice Location before Seeing ShowPinotPeopleDined on 10/2/2014Location, ambiance, service...fantastic. Very nice place for wine and light eats. I will return and recommend to others.Special Features:
- KPSMAS1954Dined on 10/1/2014I PARTICULARLY ENJOYED THE AMBIANCE AND QUIET ATMOSPHERE, NOT TO MENTION THE WONDERFUL SERVICE! OUR WAITER WAS EXCELLENT AND MADE OUR DINING EXPERIENCE VERY ENJOYABLE!Special Features:
- Jack's old gloryQuickNicDined on 9/29/2014One says: "soldiers do not die, they just vade away". That is waht is the case with Jack's Oyster House. The restaurant thrives on former successes. It has not evolved since. Do you get bad food: no. Do you get bad service: no. It is just not inspiring. So if you want decent food and service, and has no specific expectations go to Jack'sSpecial Features:
- AlbanyvisitorDined on 9/28/2014Great food and ambiance! Try their award-winning seafood soup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentically old schoolCaptainRDined on 9/24/2014This is,an institution. One of the few restaurants still true to its roots serving excellent food with outstanding swrvice. Never disappoints. No tricks, no glitz no fads ... just plain GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food/service...BillDined on 9/22/2014Awesome food, great service. Scant heart healthy option...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSeasonedDined on 9/20/2014I took my oldest son to Jack's oyster house to celebrate his 24th birthday and receiving his MBA from Union College. Unfortunately, some of our appetizers-specifically the steam clams were not fresh! Although I am formed the waiter his offer of a second course was not acceptable and we all suffered from eating clams with a very bad aftertaste. The steak I ordered was not as tender as I can cook on my own barbecue, however the remainder of the meal was outstanding and we had a wonderful time nonetheless.Special Features:
- Outstanding As AlwaysMeggieDined on 9/19/2014Jack's Oyster House is and has always been my favorite restaurant in the Capital District. Not many like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Upscale DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Jack's is a great place for fine dining. Food and service are outstanding. You might need to open your piggy bank before going, though. Good special occasion dinner venue.Special Features:
- Grandsons first visitHelenDined on 9/14/2014Our grandson turned 20 and requested to be taken to Jacks. His first expierence with dining in a fine high quality restaurant . Oh ,the Cowboy Steak and the oysters were a delight. Our waiter was equisite and made our evening very special. We all can't wait to come back. Every meal was cooked exactly as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to end a week at the SpaCvilleguyVIPDined on 9/1/2014What a great find, although from the other reviews on Open Table, it was only a "find" for us. First, I need to commend John, our waiter. He was so superb and made our visit special. As it was Monday of Labor Day week end they were out of many seafood choices but they put together a really great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacularfoodie333Dined on 8/28/2014Absolutely fabulous food and a wonderful experience all together I will definitely dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 33rd AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation for the impeccable service, attention to the fine details and overal experience that is missing in more "modern' establishments. Upon entering, we were transported to a place that is most like many of the fine bistros and restaurants I frequent while on business in Europe. We will definitely come again! Thanks for reading.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the flight!MNDinerDined on 8/23/2014I'd dined at Jack's Oyster House six years ago, I loved it so much I wanted my husband to experience it. We live in Minnesota and I also wanted my husband to see the Adirondacks. We had a great week seeing the beautiful scenery and topped off our trip with my other reason for going to NY - Jack's! It was so worth it! The food is fantastic, the service is professional yet personal and it was just the best evening! A true dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't expect a seafood restaurantDisapointedDined on 8/13/2014We had an early dinner and loved that the place was quiet. We went expecting a fish restaurant and were disappointed. There was not much in the way of fish or shellfish on the menu. Three of us ordered the salmon which was OK but not outstanding. One of us had the seafood tower as an entree and said that she was very disappointed by the quality of the shellfish. The wait staff was outstanding as was the wine list. Prices are too high given the quality. Will not return.Special Features:
- Simply Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The only own side was there were garbage bags sitting on the from sidewalk as We entered. The food and service were A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Jack's Oyster HouseJBodenDined on 8/9/2014This is our go-to restaurant in the City when we want a very nice meal. We always start at the bar because it is friendly, drinks are phenomenal, and it is a great place to meet people. For dining, we are always happy with our table, and the food and service are always superb!Special Features:
- Always greatMartyTVIPDined on 8/7/2014Always dependable classic restaurant. We love it here. Food is outstanding and It's always nice to hear "welcome home" from Brad R.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Jack's is classic restaurant that is great for any occasion The food was terrific and the service also greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceLuv2dineDined on 8/4/2014We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Jack's. We had the red carpet treatment. Service was personable. The food incredible. We received a special dessert in honor of our big day and a photo to capture the moment. Highly recommend dinning here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impeccable serviceEulerDined on 8/2/2014Service at Jack's is attentive without being intrusive. Each item on our plates was a delight for our eyes as well as our palates. This has been true visit after visit after visit.Special Features:
- Excellent diningNewYorker1Dined on 8/1/2014This a solid old school restaurant with dark wood paneling, waiters in vests, white table cloths , booths, excellent service and fare. Hot rolls and butter came to the table immediately. My malpaque oysters were fresh and delicious. The sole dish in lobster sauce over homemade pasta was unusual and very tasty. Our waiter was knowledgeable, polite, personable and did not rush us. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Prices are at the level of high caliber restaurants. Only criticism would be the martini glass was too small. A very enjoyable dining experience if you are looking for this type of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack's Age old treasureDonaldoDined on 7/31/2014I have been coming to Jack's for almost 30 years with my family - first with wife and 4 sons, now introducing a close friend to the restaurant. He was much impressed and the dinner lived up to my expectations. Years ago my wife and I attended the special evening when the original wall photographic art of Albany was auctioned off and I had the good fortune to buy one. Best wishes for your 100th year. Donald E. Red MDSpecial Features:
- Nice for a special eventtheesnomanDined on 7/31/2014The service was excellent. Everybody made an genuine effort to make our dinner special. Our dinners were very good but I cannot rate them outstanding. Portions and preparation were very good but given the prices the meal should have been a real treat. My expectations were high based on everything I have heard but I left feeling a bit shortchanged. It was a nice evening and a great place for a special event but if it is a truly outstanding meal you are looking for there are better options.Special Features:
- The following 885 reviews are from the Jack's Oyster House reviews archive.
- Still the BestGuyGuilderlandDined on 7/26/2014My family and I love going here. Anyone who thinks Prime in Albany is the tops needs to come down to reality. Jack's is still the classiest and best. Best steak in the area. Great to bring the kids. Makes you feel right at home.Special Features:
- Dave ZKnowMyFoodDined on 7/26/2014Dining started with the wrong drink being made, then Chef wouldn't make sauce w/o butter, then cowboy steak came out overdone and chef copped an attitude when I sent it back. It was clearly medium when I ordered rare. Chef cut in half and sent server back out with it to tell me it was indeed rare. At least the oysters were goodSpecial Features:
- A classicnoneDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant was a throwback to the sixties - in a good way. Menu was a good mix of steak and seafood. Staff was friendly and attentive, as well as knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.