Jack's Oyster House
42-44 State Street
Albany, NY 12207Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Jack's Oyster House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jacksoysterhouse.com/
- Phone: 5184658854
- Hours of Operation:
Open 365 days a year, Sunday Thru Saturday 11:30am - 10:00pm!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Luc Pasquier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a wide range of options for parties of all sizes.
- Private Party Contact: Marisa Trepaso 5184658854
- Special Events: We have a wide range of options for parties of all sizes.
A word from Jack's Oyster House
For nearly a century, Jack’s has been an integral part of Albany’s landscape. Long considered the hot spot for politicians and the famous, Jack’s ambiance is reminiscent of the clubby New York style restaurants so in vogue today. Opened in 1913 by Jack Rosenstein, the restaurant has been continuously operated by the same family and is now under the direction of grandson, Brad. In his pursuit of excellence, Brad persuaded French Certified Master Chef Luc Pasquier, one of only 52 in the United States, to combine their talents to create the ultimate dining experience. In their dedication to the tradition of Jack’s, they have developed a menu to satisfy their faithful clientele as well as delight a new generation of Jack’s customers. Chef Pasquier's exciting and unique cooking style, along with our staffs' warmth and hospitality, will make for many memorable dining moments.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Jack's Oyster House - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Jack's Oyster House reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (22)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (5)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Outstanding As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Jack's Oyster House is and has always been my favorite restaurant in the Capital District. Not many like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Upscale DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Jack's is a great place for fine dining. Food and service are outstanding. You might need to open your piggy bank before going, though. Good special occasion dinner venue.Special Features:
- Grandsons first visitHelenDined on 9/14/2014Our grandson turned 20 and requested to be taken to Jacks. His first expierence with dining in a fine high quality restaurant . Oh ,the Cowboy Steak and the oysters were a delight. Our waiter was equisite and made our evening very special. We all can't wait to come back. Every meal was cooked exactly as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to end a week at the SpaCvilleguyVIPDined on 9/1/2014What a great find, although from the other reviews on Open Table, it was only a "find" for us. First, I need to commend John, our waiter. He was so superb and made our visit special. As it was Monday of Labor Day week end they were out of many seafood choices but they put together a really great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacularfoodie333Dined on 8/28/2014Absolutely fabulous food and a wonderful experience all together I will definitely dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 33rd AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation for the impeccable service, attention to the fine details and overal experience that is missing in more "modern' establishments. Upon entering, we were transported to a place that is most like many of the fine bistros and restaurants I frequent while on business in Europe. We will definitely come again! Thanks for reading.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the flight!MNDinerDined on 8/23/2014I'd dined at Jack's Oyster House six years ago, I loved it so much I wanted my husband to experience it. We live in Minnesota and I also wanted my husband to see the Adirondacks. We had a great week seeing the beautiful scenery and topped off our trip with my other reason for going to NY - Jack's! It was so worth it! The food is fantastic, the service is professional yet personal and it was just the best evening! A true dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't expect a seafood restaurantDisapointedDined on 8/13/2014We had an early dinner and loved that the place was quiet. We went expecting a fish restaurant and were disappointed. There was not much in the way of fish or shellfish on the menu. Three of us ordered the salmon which was OK but not outstanding. One of us had the seafood tower as an entree and said that she was very disappointed by the quality of the shellfish. The wait staff was outstanding as was the wine list. Prices are too high given the quality. Will not return.Special Features:
- Simply Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The only own side was there were garbage bags sitting on the from sidewalk as We entered. The food and service were A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Jack's Oyster HouseJBodenDined on 8/9/2014This is our go-to restaurant in the City when we want a very nice meal. We always start at the bar because it is friendly, drinks are phenomenal, and it is a great place to meet people. For dining, we are always happy with our table, and the food and service are always superb!Special Features:
- Always greatMartyTVIPDined on 8/7/2014Always dependable classic restaurant. We love it here. Food is outstanding and It's always nice to hear "welcome home" from Brad R.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Jack's is classic restaurant that is great for any occasion The food was terrific and the service also greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceLuv2dineDined on 8/4/2014We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Jack's. We had the red carpet treatment. Service was personable. The food incredible. We received a special dessert in honor of our big day and a photo to capture the moment. Highly recommend dinning here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impeccable serviceEulerDined on 8/2/2014Service at Jack's is attentive without being intrusive. Each item on our plates was a delight for our eyes as well as our palates. This has been true visit after visit after visit.Special Features:
- Excellent diningNewYorker1Dined on 8/1/2014This a solid old school restaurant with dark wood paneling, waiters in vests, white table cloths , booths, excellent service and fare. Hot rolls and butter came to the table immediately. My malpaque oysters were fresh and delicious. The sole dish in lobster sauce over homemade pasta was unusual and very tasty. Our waiter was knowledgeable, polite, personable and did not rush us. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Prices are at the level of high caliber restaurants. Only criticism would be the martini glass was too small. A very enjoyable dining experience if you are looking for this type of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack's Age old treasureDonaldoDined on 7/31/2014I have been coming to Jack's for almost 30 years with my family - first with wife and 4 sons, now introducing a close friend to the restaurant. He was much impressed and the dinner lived up to my expectations. Years ago my wife and I attended the special evening when the original wall photographic art of Albany was auctioned off and I had the good fortune to buy one. Best wishes for your 100th year. Donald E. Red MDSpecial Features:
- Nice for a special eventtheesnomanDined on 7/31/2014The service was excellent. Everybody made an genuine effort to make our dinner special. Our dinners were very good but I cannot rate them outstanding. Portions and preparation were very good but given the prices the meal should have been a real treat. My expectations were high based on everything I have heard but I left feeling a bit shortchanged. It was a nice evening and a great place for a special event but if it is a truly outstanding meal you are looking for there are better options.Special Features:
- Still the BestGuyGuilderlandDined on 7/26/2014My family and I love going here. Anyone who thinks Prime in Albany is the tops needs to come down to reality. Jack's is still the classiest and best. Best steak in the area. Great to bring the kids. Makes you feel right at home.Special Features:
- Dave ZKnowMyFoodDined on 7/26/2014Dining started with the wrong drink being made, then Chef wouldn't make sauce w/o butter, then cowboy steak came out overdone and chef copped an attitude when I sent it back. It was clearly medium when I ordered rare. Chef cut in half and sent server back out with it to tell me it was indeed rare. At least the oysters were goodSpecial Features:
- A classicnoneDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant was a throwback to the sixties - in a good way. Menu was a good mix of steak and seafood. Staff was friendly and attentive, as well as knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014The food was absolutely fantastic! Best steak I've ever had! Our waiter was wonderful!! I will absolutely be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service ever but great foodInkyjDined on 7/20/2014The service was horrible, we immediately ordered a drink but then didn't get it for 20 minutes and even then it was short a drink. He didn't take our meal order until 45 mins after we arrived. Food was great but overall disappointing. 1:45 min experience that could have easily been done in an hourSpecial Features:
- Poor service, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Extremely slow service. Had to wait 30 minutes after being seated to get a drink. Overall we were there for almost 2-1/2 hours for just an appetizer and main course. Ordered filet and lobster tail (a $73 meal) and the filet came out under cooked and the tail was ice cold. Would not recommend this restaurant.
- I'll never cheat on Angelo againFinezDined on 7/20/2014I felt that the food was satisfactory and service was fine however if they are going to charge high priced food then I would expect the same for their food, service,and cleanliness. Bathrooms were not kept up. I had to dry My hands on wet paper towel roll. Dishes , silver wear , and wine glasses had spots. Waiters jackets are old. Walls and edged full of dust. The host greated us with good to see you again many times and we had never been there. The best part was the fabulous blue point oysters. I will not go back.
- great serviceeurogirlDined on 7/16/2014The service was wonderful. The wine was terrific, and all of our food tasted great with great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and walk to everything.EastUticaCritic1Dined on 7/16/2014We were going to Timberlake concert and stayed at 74 State Hotel so we wanted everything in walking distance. Located Jack's on internet. Menu had something for everyone. My cousin loved the Chicken Lemonardo. My Filet was delicious. The Chicken Riggie ala vodka was just okay. For a chicken dish go with the Lemonardo. Waiter Bill was very nice. The bill for 8 with tip was about $311 plus tip, so a little pricey but we would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner!HubbubbDined on 7/16/2014Service was perfect! Dinner was perfect! Brad was welcoming. Oysters were chilled and fresh. Steak au pouivre cooked perfectly. Jacks is still giving you a full meal for less than the other fine dining places in the City. Dinner includes salad, starch, and vegetable and of course red cabbage! Thank you for not charging $10 for a potato!Special Features:
- There's nothing quite like Jack'sboannDined on 7/8/2014We live 30 miles from Jack's, so we don't get there often. Most recently we visited for my husband's birthday. You go to Jack's for good food, good service and it's unique ambiance. If you've ever been to one of the old, classic restaurants in New Orleans, you'll know what I mean. The decor is spare--no clutter, checkerboard floor, high ceilings, white table cloths. The service, quiet, attentive and unhurried. The food--NE traditional--good, well prepared. We had several orders from the bar--wine was very good, martini was excellent. Yes, it's expensive. We can't go often, but always enjoy it when we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th Wedding Anniversary30YearsPlusDined on 7/7/2014My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary on July 7th with a very romantic dinner at Jack's. The food was fantastic along with the ambiance. But I have to say the waiter, Bill Gard, made the evening even more special. His professionalism and attention to detail were perfect and he should be commended. Brad Rosenstein should be very proud to have such a professional on his staff. Thank you Bill for a perfect meal on our special occasion. Sincerely, Ed & Anne Spath Delmar, NYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience the ambiance of Jack's!4dinegirl2Dined on 7/6/2014Historic Jack's is a long-time favorite and retains it's gracious vibe with stellar service, individual attention and perfectly prepared and delicious food. A wonderful spot in downtown Albany !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Jack's has been a mainstain in downtown Albany for many years. It never dissapoints. They were full because of the Paul McCartney concert, but we had a great dinner and did not feel rushed.Special Features:
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014We had a wonderful time, great service and great food and friendly staff .. would go backSpecial Features:
- horrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2014Went here thinking it was going to be a great oyster place...what a disappointment! The food sucked...no flavor at all. Definitely overpriced for what you get. Went on a weekend that was busy and half the stuff on the menu was taken off. Not to mention our waiter was very slow in bringing our food. Although he was definitely prompt when bringing our check.
- Always the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2014Always the best, elegant, friendly, fast service but never rushed. A beautiful classic décor, spotless, fabulous recipes and presentation, impeccable service.Special Features:
- TraditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Iconic setting in the Capitol District. Very attentive service. Manhattan Clam Chowder very good. My wife loved the chopped salad but wasn't crazy for the spicier than expected sauce that accompanied the crab cakes. I had the Steak Diane/Scallop dinner which was pricier than I thought I read on the menu. I saw $35 and it came in at nearly $48. Cappuccino's and creme brulee were very good. Overall not what I expected of a place that has been there for over 100 years.
- Excellentbklyn989Dined on 7/3/2014Enjoyed throughly, food service and ambiance was all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedeatinginalbanyDined on 7/2/2014The atmosphere at Jack's is lovely - quiet, comfortable, and professional. The service was sublime - our waiter could not have been more attentive (without being intrusive), but overall the food was a disappointment. Two out of three of our entrees were overcooked - not good for steak and fish and not what you'd expect for the price. The accompanying salad was unimaginative. Vegetables were creative and cooked just right - potatoes were dark and dreary looking. The wine was great and the bread was terrific!
- An Excellent a MealTomPDined on 6/28/2014My visit toJack's was very worthwhile. I had the steamed Littleneck clams that were meaty, tender, delicious and the best I've had in the area. Their chopped salad was fresh & tasty. The Riesling was very refreshing. As expected, the prices were not low; but not exorbitant, considering the quality, service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnernightoutDined on 6/27/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary at Jack's and neither of us had ever dined there. We started with crab cakes were delicious and then followed up with our entrees. My girlfriend's chicken dish (ala vodka) was very flavorful and my steak was cooked medium rare, which is just how I requested it. The food was amazing but the service was even better. I can't remember our waiter's name, but he was extremely accommodating and left us with a polaroid to remember the night by, which my girlfriend was a huge fan of. Delicious food and outstanding service, we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- First Poor ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014We've been going to Jack's for years. It is our go-to place for special occasions, or for just a different place to hang. This experience was our first negative. While I had specified the special reason for the meal, it was not noted, as is customary. I asked for a quiet table and we were place next to the banquet door entrance. Our waiter did not ask if we want an appetizer. Did not cover off on sides. Was both overly attentive and extremely inattentive. Will make me think twice before making Jack's my first choice for celebratory dinners.