Jack's Oyster Bar & Fish House
336 Water Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Jack's Oyster Bar & Fish House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jacksoakland.com/
- Phone: (510) 271-7952
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -5:00pm Saturday-Sunday 11am-5pm
Happy Hour 3:00pm-6:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Peter Villegas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Matt Detert 5104335059x
A word from Jack's Oyster Bar & Fish House
East Coast meets East Bay at this Jack London Square Restaurant overlooking the harbor. Focusing on sustainable seafood, an impressive raw bar, traditional & modern global influenced dishes. Handcrafted cocktails, Beer & Wine on tap & Champagne available by the bottle. We take reservations at Lunch and seat on a Walk In basis for Dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Jack's Oyster Bar & Fish House - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Jack's Oyster Bar & Fish House reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (76)fit for foodies (53)scenic view (46)good for groups (40)neighborhood gem (31)hot spot (31)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (23)special occasion (19)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (15)romantic (13)notable wine list (8)late-night find (8)Show More
- Portions Too SMall For PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014little portions may be in fashion these days but other than the charred octopus, we found the dishes to be too small, especially the appetizers, relative to the price. But maybe Oakland is trying to become an upscale restaurant scene.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014we enjoyed our trip to Jacks...went on a rainy thursday night and had a great time. Service was excellent really enjoyed all the food we ordered. standouts were the clam chowder and the grilled bread. Also had the lobter dish and the octopus all was excellent. Would come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much for the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2014I ordered the Fish and Chips for $21.00. What a rip off, 3 tiny pieces of fish and approximately 12 fries. I will never dine here again. Your better off going anywhere else.
- lobster sliders THE BESTeclecticDined on 11/19/2014The lobster sliders are wonderful. I was lucky because I also had the clam chowder (very good too) and then when I got the sliders I was pretty full, so was able to take one home and have it for supper!!!!! yippeeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2014the scallop & pork belly should be called small plate; don't order it as entree if you are hungry; the sandwich is more like an entree portion !!!!
- Amazing!IanEatsVIPDined on 11/15/2014One of the best new restaurants in Oakland! The food is delicious. We've been several times and have enjoyed the Poki, Seafood Bucket, steak and cioppino. We've also had the scallops and clam chowder. The steak was enormous but cooked to perfection and the cioppino couldn't have been better. The Poki is wonderful and the cracker provided is bursting with flavor. A perfect compliment to the fresh fish. The Seafood Bucket is pricey but filled with delicious seafood that makes the price worth it. I don't believe we've had a bad bite. Everything is fresh and flavorful. For awhile the had a tasty cucumber salad but it's recently disappeared. We hope they bring it back; it was perfect. Light but packed with flavor! They offer a great oyster Happy Hour before 6pm. The oyster selection is great and they donate to The Watershed Project. The Martinis are delicious and they have different kinds. I recommend the Greek. The interior dining room is clean and modern with plenty of seating for different sized groups. Outside is smaller but the views are spectacular. They are very accommodating for different size parties. Although the tables are communal they don't crowd you too close to their other patrons and typically seat guests with spacing until more people arrive. You'll also enjoy the hustle and bustle of folks enjoying Jack London Square. You can also eat at the bar or just meet a friend for a cocktail. The staff is solid. They are all friendly and don't mind answering questions about the menu. Also, they have a nice wine list by the glass or bottle that compliments any of their dishes. The recommendations have always helped us enjoy our meal. With so many additional options and the amazing views it's a great place for a date or to take out of town guests. You'll feel safe and most people end up falling in love with Jack London Square. Overall I give Jack's a five and highly recommend it for groups, out of town family and friends, date night or just a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noose level impossibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014when we got there at 5pm there was a reasonale noise level. at 5:45 we wanted to leave. at 6:15, after finnaly managing to pay our check, we got to leave. fish & chips were very good and the mussels also. chipono was wsy off.
- Jack's Oyster Bar & Fish HouseGenerallyNotPickyDined on 11/12/2014Great Location, nice view, great food but the service was very polite and accommodating but slow. This was fine because we weren't in a hurry. I also thought that a $22 corkage fee was a bit high as most restaurant s are usually in the $15 range. Some waive the fee altogether or charge a minimal fee and donate it to charity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Location with PotentialOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/10/2014The food was good, seafood was fresh and well prepared. The cocktail list was interesting and solid. There was also a nice selection of wine and beer. However the server was not very attentive and was very slow, which was unfortunate since that the restaurant was busy. I had to place my drink order at the bar even though I had been seated at a table for more than 20 minutes, because the server just rarely checked in. The restaurant also advertises validated parking however, the parking was not validated. You only receive get a $0.75 discount on parking, which you don't discover until you try to check out of the parking garage. Not sure if I would return, if it meant I would have to deal with such slow and inattentive service.Special Features:
- Some kinks to work outRonRDined on 11/9/2014This place is new and a welcome addition to JLS. Some dishes work better than others. The tuna poke was not nearly packed with the flavor of a native Hawaiian poke. The bay shrimp cocktail was socked with a chunky cocktail sauce that made it difficult to discern the small shrimp. The cioppino was delicious, the broth full of seafood flavors and accompanied by grilled garlic bread. The worst part of the night was the irritating host, who, immediately after he said hello to us - turned his attention to a waiter and engaged him in an extended conversation. After finally seating us he left us with one menu. He promised to return with another but we never saw him again. This place has potential once they fix their service issues.Special Features:
- RedClayKidDined on 11/9/2014Lots of oysters! And always some bargain prices at certain hours. The steak was great. too, and the staff is cheerful, although they could have been a little faster. Definitely will come back!Special Features:
- MouseVIPDined on 11/8/2014Loved the food and the service: very helpful. All three courses were delicious! Anxious to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingJJJJDined on 11/7/2014One of our party was late, so we weren't all there at the time of our reservation--she was half an hour late. Even though it was a Saturday night and they were packed, the owner went out of his way to accommodating us. The food is fresh and the preparation is creative. The service is friendly. The timing of the food delivery is a little idiosyncratic due to the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish are food, not friends...PhoodiePhatDined on 11/3/2014We're from the Northeast and this place is definitely reminiscent of a NE fish place...with a west-coast twist. Great Oysters, sardines and other fish specialties. We'll definintely be going backSpecial Features:
- Seafood, Fun, and More!!!jessx333Dined on 11/3/2014Jack's was SO great. I went for Monday lunch with a friend (and my dog), and we were all treated superbly--even my pooch was provided water and liver snacks. The service was prompt, our waiter provided us with great recommendations, and the cocktails were AMAZING! I had the Dill-icious and my friend had the Lavender cocktail. The oysters were fresh (and big), and the lobster sliders were delectable. We enjoyed the cinnamon-flavored croissant bread pudding with butterscotch ice cream for dessert. We were pleased with our entire experience. I guess my only wish would be that either the portions be a little bigger or that they offer a lunch special--it's pricey, so I'll probably only go back on a special occasion. I'm a Jack's fan for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CBOakDined on 11/2/2014The service was friendly and attentive. I got the lobster roll which was good, but the sauce overpowered the lobster flavor. The coleslaw was not good; I left it on my plate. My companion got the oyster sandwich and asked for it with no onions. It came covered with onions which she had to pick off. She felt the sandwich was trying too much and that the pork belly didn't enhance the oysters. I'd go again but hope that they restaurant fine-tunes their food. It's close to being really good, but isn't quite there yet.Special Features:
- Expectations Not MetDisappointedDined on 10/28/2014Food quality inconsistent. Charred octopus very good, oysters good (not great), cioppino very poor, croissant pudding good taste (part of it was warm and inside was cold). There was a spill on the wooden table, none of the staff ever bothered to clean it up. Service was excruciatingly slow -- dinner took 2 hours even though it was not very busy during the second hour there. Setting nice.Special Features:
- Disappointing GumbomarilyngVIPDined on 10/28/2014We had a nice table outside, and my fellow diners enjoyed their food - a lobster roll (very messy but good - had to eat with a knife and fork) and clam chowder. I had very strange gumbo - the okra was practically raw and it was loaded with octopus, which is not my favorite. It was more like a seafood stew than a gumbo. Good corn bread muffins. We enjoyed being outside on a nice sunny day, and the server was good but a little overloaded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh oysters and amazing octopusHansDined on 10/25/2014My first time in Jack London Square and at this restaurant. The oysters were fresh and delicious and the charred octopus (& octopus salad) were very yummy. Loved the draft beer selectionSpecial Features:
- Happy Hour OysteroysterloverDined on 10/21/2014Half price oysters before 6pm. $1-2 discount for drinks, too.Special Features:
- Oakland!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Fantastic, friendly, knowledgable and helpful staff. They did a great job of recommending and promoting Oakland activities and night life. A very social and lively atmosphere, but relaxing. The food and drinks were awesome. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long overdueSpartangirlDined on 10/18/2014Finally, a real oyster bar at Jack London Square. Had a great time on our first visit. Couldn't believe how busy Jack London Square was. That is so nice to see. We had a reservation, and we were immediately seated, and water was brought right to the table. Our waitperson was very busy, but came by the table to say hi and tell us she would be right with us. I think restaurants/servers forget how important that is to do. The oyster selection was very good and our waitperson did a good job steering us to the types of oysters we like. You have to order the Charred Octopus, we got it as an appetizer instead of a main course and shared. The plate was licked clean. Two other stand outs are the fish and chips and the Caesar salad. The coating/breading on the fish and chips was perfect, and you could actually taste the fish. The anchovies on the Caesar salad were very nice, and in the center of the salad was a round, crouton like bread with a poached egg inside. Nice touch, and yummy. Can't wait to return to try some of the other menu items. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- good oysters!sfdinerDined on 10/18/2014the ambiance was lively, service was friendly and entrees were okay. oysters, drinks and salad were great - i would go again and just stick with those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KenRVIPDined on 10/18/2014Excellent Find. Whole Jack London Square area has a buzz that I have not seen in the 20 years that I have lived in the bay area. All items ordered were very good. Outside Patio along with Boconava next door outstanding.Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/18/2014I went with a couple of friends and we enjoyed a lovely lunch outside. Between us we had the sunchoke soup, the lobster poutine, the lobster sliders and the tuna poke; it was all very good. The service was efficient and very friendly. It's definitely a place I'd come back to.
- Still getting it togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014The best part of the lunch was the clam chowder. It had a stock with cream in it but was NOT thick and pasty like some chowders. It featured cubed smoked potato, wonderful thick-cut bacon cubes, sliced celery and loads of small clams. I also had the wedge salad that was nice. My friends had the chiopino and said that it was "fair". The menu features lots of raw seafood which is not my preference. Also, their small corn bread muffins are great.Special Features:
- Awesome service, great foodcharmzDined on 10/14/2014They were about to close and usually people give you faces when they are about to close and you walk in they didn't they were happy I was thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting food, great foodJJJJDined on 10/5/2014I particularly recommend the seafood salad (which is all seafood), the cucumber salad, and the octopus. The crab cake was a bit of a disappointment (bland, heavy crust), but everything else we tried was very good to excellent. The outdoor dining has a great view of Oakland's attractive harbor. My only complaint is that the food came out slowly in somewhat random order (e.g., the side dishes arrived first).Special Features:
- tng1VIPDined on 9/30/2014Limited menu and beer/wine options. Good happy hour deal on oysters. Nice place to dine outdoors by the water. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- OaktownieVIPDined on 9/30/2014The food is fine, though Jack's continues to tinker with its menu so that what you ordered last time, such as the tuna poke, is differently seasoned and accompanied this time, say with a tiny egg and less sesame; it was so good, that no problem with the variation; out of soft-shell crab (a seasonal choice) and its fantastic charred octopus, so menu lotto. Tried the soup special: vegan tomato soup. Wonderfully spicy, deeply flavored, great. Baked sardines, perfect. Bao very good -- perfectly fired oyster, smoky crisp bacon -- with an underflavored cole slaw better, but next time will try with cucumber salad (needs a pickled, crisp veg to go over the top). Excellent cocktails! Service slowed by food prep, but quite friendly.Special Features:
- very popular with younger crowdfarpointdiveVIPDined on 9/27/2014The crowd is raucous with TV going in the background and lots of drinking and young children screaming and running around. Definitely not an ambiance for fine dining. There was one dish that was totally inedible (seafood salad) and the cocktails were pricey and meager.Special Features:
- Good AdditionmrRnbrhdDined on 9/27/2014More al fresco dining at Jack London Square with a seafood centric menu. Lovely oysters were presented with a microscopic portion of mignonette. Lobster roll was tasty, but not a usual presentation. Served warm in little brioche like rolls in a beurre blanc sauce it was tasty, but needs a clearer explanation for those expecting the usual presentation. The fish stew had a great broth, but suffered a little as not all of the mussels were opened and the shrimp needed major peeling. Perhaps a bib or finger bowl should be provided with this? Will see how the acoustics are when the weather forces dining inside the attractive interior. All in all a nice if slightly pricey addition to the Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omg!keanaDDined on 9/26/2014The taste of the food was heaven every bite, one could only dream of a taste pallette this satisfying. I and my family left satisfied and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014We came recently for my husband's grandmother's 94th birthday and had a lovely experience. The outdoor patio seating is lovely, but unfortunately during our visit it was a bit on the windy side and we ended up moving inside. They were very accommodating with our request to move inside after having already been seated outside. The hostess and waitresses were polite and attentive. Do your taste buds a favor and order the lobster rolls! They're on house made pretzel buns and are quite possibly some of the tastiest treats I've had. We were hesitant to come based on some negative reviews, but I am very glad we went anyway!Special Features:
- Mixed bucketconstantcraveVIPDined on 9/23/2014I'd say Jack's is fine, but for the price, I'd think twice about going back. When working with an oyster bar, you value crispness and freshness, and there were edges that seemed a little loose. For some reason, we were told that if we sat at a table, the service would be slow, so we sat at the counter, and our server was indeed attentive. Only it took ages to get our oysters, and while tasty, they would have been better had they been colder. We ordered a bunch of plates to share, and then the all arrived at once, which cluttered the counter and made it more difficult to savor each dish. Most were fine, but none stellar. I wished it were better. I'd go back for a drink and snack, but think twice about another full meal.Special Features:
- Your cocktail charges.KahunapeteVIPDined on 9/16/2014I, and several of my friends, had lunch at Jack's earlier this week. Oysters were great but the food was just O.K. What really made us angry were martini's we ordered at the $11.00 menu price were actually $13.00 when we paid the bill. We asked our waiter and he said "that's the way it is." I've never experienced this before. Granted $2.00 isn't going to make or break me but I doubt we'll be coming back. I'll get my oysters elsewhere.
- Great startDianeVIPDined on 9/15/2014Glad to have tried this new spot. Our favor it was the ciopinno. Outstanding.Special Features:
- OystersthedoctorDined on 9/9/2014Just went for the oyster deal, but the menu looked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ridiculously good seafood!!!!Lobo28Dined on 9/8/2014This restaurant definitely exceeded my expectations! All of the seafood was fresh and perfectly cooked. The service staff were also very friendly as well as accommodating.Special Features:
- service needs practiceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/7/2014Still early days -- great food but service quite off.