2130 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jacksfirehouse.com/
- Phone: 2152329000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jack McDavid
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Jack's Firehouse offers catering services personalized to your needs. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Jack's Firehouse has 2 private rooms. The Chief's Quarters accommodates 8 to 25 guests & the Grand Hall accommodates 20 to 80 guests. The entire Firehouse is available for 100 to 250 guests. We host great parties here - so whether its a private dinner for 40 members of your company or a brunch shower for 60 ladies celebrating the soon to be bride or 200 guests for a fun and different cocktail and dance party - CALL JACK'S FIREHOUSE for details.
- Private Party Contact: Mick Houston 2152329000x
- Entertainment: Call in advance to find out when Jim Smith and the Trailer Park Trio are playing their own version of fantastic 40's and 50's rock-a-billy here at the Firehouse. They always provide a shoe stomping, late night drinking and yelling, fun time for all. Shows ususally start around 10pm as the dinner crowd has made their way to the bar
- Special Events: JACK'S IS CELEBRATING OUR 20 YEAR ANNIVERSARY - CALL ABOUT JOINING US ON APRIL 10, 2010 FOR A GREAT PARTY. PROCEEDS FROM THE NIGHT WILL GO TOWARD HUNGER RELIEF.
A word from Jack's Firehouse
Jack's Firehouse offers Jack McDavid's nationally renowned cuisine serving fish, meats, seafood & vegetarian dishes, a spirited bar with one of Philadelphia's finest Bourbon collection, 60 bottle Wine List, 15 different beers, private rooms or casual elegance in the 120 Year Old Fire House setting... A perfect choice for taking out an important client, favorite relative or special someone.Continued
Jack's Firehouse - Philadelphia's premier American Restaurant.
Jack's Firehouse - Philadelphia's premier American Restaurant.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jack's Firehouse reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)great for outdoor dining (33)great for brunch (20)good for groups (19)great for lunch (19)fit for foodies (11)vibrant bar scene (11)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (9)scenic view (9)hot spot (6)romantic (4)Show More
- Slow service, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014Our drinks arrived fairly quickly, but it took about 45 minutes for the first course at burnch (a salad) to arrive. The BLT Caesar tasted like it had been prepared the day before. The crab cake had more bread than crab in the mix. The French Fries were good.
- So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014Tried JF for the first time in a long while. The space is great, and the service was friendly. Unfortunately the food was so-so at best. I had the crab cake sandwich with hot lava. The sandwich was on a plain bun that (size-wise) way-outmatched the incredibly thin crab cake. The hot lava was anything but hot - just a forgettable bland sauce. My wife asked specifically about the calamari - not wanting something heavily battered and fried. The waitress explained that it was just lightly flash-fried and not battered. Then the calamari came and it was heavily fried in batter. Huge disappointment. Toward the end of the meal we each wanted another drink; but it took so long to have the server come to the table, we just scratched it.
- enjoyable brunchHenryDined on 8/3/2014My son and I had brunch sitting in one of the outside tables with aview of the prison which looks great with the newly grown greenery. weather was pleasant and overall experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak night outFranksfoodfeedbackVIPDined on 7/19/2014My family and I wanted a good steak dinner after a long day looking at colleges, museums and walking around the city...Jack's was very friendly and enjoyed the recommendations from our waiter, Todd! Not only for the food but his college life at Penn! Great Experience!
- Southern1Dined on 7/19/2014In my opinion, an onsite manager is needed to oversee performance of staff. 1. Bartender flinging the “f” word around as normal speech. 2. A fly was in a drink that the bartender didn’t catch. It happens, but not to immediately buy a round of drinks is inexcusable. In an attempt to redeem the situation, shots were brought over? 3. Biscuits tasted of freezer burn. 4. Boxed mash potatoes…seriously?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014This was our second time at Jack's and it wasn't as good as our first visit. Their BBQ dishes are GREAT!! It's the other stuff that's lacking. The catfish sandwich had way too much bread with a very thin piece of fish. The filet mignon benedict-which I fell in love with the first time- had tough filet and the poached eggs were rock hard. The next time, I'll make sure to stick with the BBQ.Special Features:
- SunnyJoanVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was great as always but when the sun started to encroach on our table nobody could hep us. We tried tilting the umbrella and that didn't work. Then they asked if we wanted to move our seats inside. We said yes but then nothing happened. Also my mother ordered a salad and an entree and only received the salad. The entree was removed from the final bill. The food is still good and and we would return again because we have always had a good experience in the past.Special Features:
- Last minuteImaPhillyDined on 6/16/2014It was a late dinner, 10pm. The food, service, and atmosphere were good. We ate outside. No bugs! I would go again.Special Features:
- Impressive diningDining4luvDined on 6/15/2014I really didn't know what to expect but it was actually a nice experience with my husband. I would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerzeesalVIPDined on 6/14/2014We first went to this restaurant 20 years ago when Jack actually owned it. My husband raved about the meal he had there for years, so for his 60th birthday we brought him here again with our family of 10. The service was really great. I love the looks of this place. Most of our party had the steaks, all done to perfection. My daughter had ribs, but thought them a bit on the smoky side for her taste. I had pork loin, and did not care for it.. It was over cooked, the sauce accompanying it was overpowering, and the sweet potatoes were like soup. Still, I would give it another chance based on the reactions of the rest of the family. Regardless, we had a fabulous time there!
- MbgMuseumgoerDined on 6/9/2014I love Jack's. Pulled pork nachos are terrific, as are homemade can muffins and biscuits. Ribs were a bit overlooked, but tasty. Great venue.Special Features:
- Family gatheringBarbinburbsDined on 6/1/2014We met with 7 family members at Jack's on a Sunday afternoon. The wait staff was very attentive but waited until we had all made up our minds on what to order. They were also very accomodating with seating as well, giving us a choice of indoor or outdoor. Everything we ordered was delicious- the pulled pork and brisket sandwiches were outstanding and we loved the spicy French fries with jalepenos. We also devoured the huge plates of biscuits and corn muffins with sour cherries. Would go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/22/2014Our server Stephan was one of the best ever. He delivered tasty and interesting food and was attentive without being intrusive. Servings were ample.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack's Firehouse - Philly TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/22/2014Located across the street from Eastern States Penitentiary (now closed as a prison but open as a fascinating tourist site), Jack's is located in a former firehouse (the pole is still in the ceiling) and has a charm that is unique and distinctive. Two sculls with oars attached hang from the ceiling, the front doors open completely in nice weather and a bar highlights the front area. But the food and service is what you come for. Ample portions, well prepared and served by an enthusiastic and efficient staff. This is our third visit (this time after a visit to the nearby Philadelphia Museum of Art) and the crusted salmon and lip-smacking ribs were wonderful. So too, the black-eyed peas and bacon soup. Just a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014Muffins and sandwiches very good. Disappointed in the cheesesteak omelet, only half full. Fruit was fresh and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/18/2014The service at our brunch for 7 was superior. Server was personable, helpful, non-intrusive but on top of things. Food was excellent for 5 of us, french toast was dry and without taste for the remaining 2 but the accompaniments were very good. Bringing fresh biscuits to the table and cookies with the bill was a very nice touch. All around we agreed we would definitely return. Also, plenty of elbow room, good acoustics and nice layout.Special Features:
- Phantastic Philly!WorthinkedDined on 5/17/2014Jacks has amazing food at reasonable prices. The service was personal, prompt & very accomodating for allergies & diet requests! The menu is small but has delicious options for meat lovers, small appetites & vegetarians. It was a perfect & delicious blend. The homade biscuits were a special treat! Later at night the bar scene picked up and ended the night perfectly. Its also across from the old gothic stone penitentiary which is an incredible view day or night. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, good, and gooder:-)PJD52Dined on 5/17/2014We had a great time. A bunch of us who had not seen each other for years and Jack's turned out to be the perfect place to gather. Oh, did I mention that the food was great, the service was equal to the dining fare, and the atmosphere was fantastic? We are already planning to gather at Jack's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RibsChemFoodieDined on 5/16/2014I am not a big fan of ribs, but after trying out this place I changed my mind. Their ribs are DELICIOUS!!!!! The service was excellent, the food was great and the drinks were strong and good. Great place to eat and have fun with your significant other or a group of friends.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencemapoatsyDined on 5/16/2014My husband and I ate at Jack's Firehouse for the first time after hearing several great reviews from our friends. We were not disappointed. The service was terrific - and the food even better. My husband ordered the ribs and by far were the best ribs we've ever tasted. They literally fell off the bone and melted in your mouth. I had the pork loin and sweet potato mash - and it, too was very tasty. The chop was cooked just a notch more well done than I prefer, but it didn't take away from the overall experience. The dinner was finished with a complimentary cookie for each - a very nice touch. I'd definitely come back again - and probably will.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014Was entertaining out of town relatives this weekend and they were impressed with Jack's great historic interior. The food and service were great as usual. Although we were a little disappointed at the lack of specials on a Friday night. No loss however, with a wonderful dinner complete with fresh biscuits and chocolate chip cookies.Special Features:
- Museum FriendlyMSBNW6Dined on 5/15/2014We made a reservation at this restaurant because of its location close to the Parkway museums. After a stimulating visit to the Barnes Museum we enjoyed a great meal at Jack's Firehouse.Special Features:
- Mothers Day DinnerNeighborhood4Dined on 5/11/2014We went to Jack's for Mothers Day dinner. The food and the service were excellent. I would highly recommend it. It is an interesting theme as it is an old firehouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchJamiDined on 5/11/2014Went to Jack's on mother's day with a group of 6. Everything from the food to the service was on point. It was a great brunch. The calamari was especially delicious. No one had anything but great things to say about their meal and the whole experience. I would highly recommend Jack's for any meal, especially brunch.Special Features:
- Family meetingbbqfanDined on 5/10/2014We choose Jack's for our families to meet and it was perfect. Great food, service dealt with us always being 5 minutes slower than we should because we all were chatting and setting was just right. The owner was even floating around and very welcoming and easy to talk to which is always a plus to see them involved.Special Features:
- The following 552 reviews are from the Jack's Firehouse reviews archive.
- Relaxed easy diningFrequentdinerDined on 4/22/2014A fine place for a leisurely lunch, awesome mushroom soup! Service is polite, attentive and out of the way. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Jack's Is A Classic!scamozzDined on 4/16/2014After years of waiting to hit the Firehouse, we finally did and it was awesome! Amazing food and amazing service!Special Features:
- Great Service and DinnerwilsonDined on 4/14/2014Went for our daughter's birthday. Sat outside and the cute little patio. The server was enthusiastic, friendly and very attentive. He did a great job throughout the entire evening. The food was yummy, especially the biscuits and the goey butter cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Philly's BestMuseumgoerDined on 4/7/2014Excellent food.all we'll prepared. Home baked muffins and biscuits with homemade jam. Catfish sandwich was super. A wide variety of gluten-free options. Excellent service. Love the repurposed building. One of my favorite Philly spots.. Walkable from Barnes museumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairmount Go-toPhillyyuppieVIPDined on 4/5/2014A great spot for dependable, delicious and affordable food in Fairmount. Solid beer and wine list to accompany a vast menu of american comfort food. The bread plate alone would make me come back for brunch. Loved being able to make a reservation and not wait an hour to be seated!Special Features:
- Can Anyone Say Cheers?TheFrauleinDined on 4/3/2014I had been to Jack's for lunch, but on this beautiful evening in early spring we were excited to find the fire house doors wide open to bring in the fresh spring air. There was a bubbly group at the bar, but at 7:30 we seemed to be between seatings. Got a great table with excellent service and outstanding food, but wished for more folks to complete the experience. At the same time we were ecstatic that we could actually hear each other talking! Great, restful atmosphere. Love this place!Special Features:
- Our goal was to celebratekkatDined on 3/30/2014Our goal was to celebrate our Inaugural LOVE Run with a Jack's burger and a great beer. This is definitely the place to come to have great, hearty and delicious food. One of my favorites away from the hubbub of center city dining but being in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clam chowder and other soupsSashimiGigglesVIPDined on 3/25/2014Clam chowder and other soups are always a hit. Ribs & other BBQ so delicious year round! Excellent service. I always feel welcome.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2014We brought our children and grandchildren for brunch on Sunday and everyone enjoyed the experience. Food and service were good and we were happy with the brunch menu. The kitchen even prepared something for one of the kids that was not on the menu. Our server was very interested in helping the kids have whatever made them happy, which was so nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch date with MomBarnesyDined on 3/23/2014Mom and I had a great Sunday brunch date. The food was great and our waiter was very polite and efficient. I would definitely recommend it. And the peach tea cocktail was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for lunchCharDined on 3/22/2014After a visit to the Barnes, this is a great place to relax and discuss art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!!!Comfort4Dined on 3/16/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere!!! You can't ask for anything more...except that the bar menu be available in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Weekend BrunchDonnaVDined on 3/15/2014Took our Temple kids to Jack's for a nice brunch. Love the interior decor, lots of conversation starters. Brunch food was great, with vegan options for our picky eater. Service was good, we were not rushed through our meal. Great time.Special Features:
- Disappointing ribsLeonardDined on 3/8/2014The room is wood paneled with high ceilings, tablecloths help dim the clatter, service was attentive, portions were substantial, prices fare, and most of the food good, cauliflower soup was excellent...but the "signature" ribs were awful, dried out and tough, couldn't cut them with the steak knife provided much less chew the meat
- Always the best!JoanneeDined on 3/1/2014Jack's Firehouse always delivers. Brunch or lunch the selection is wonderful and the service the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.