Jack Rose Dining Saloon
2007 18th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Jack Rose Dining Saloon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jackrosediningsaloon.com/
- Phone: 2025887388x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sun-Wed:5:00pm - 10:00pm Thurs-Sat: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Reservations are only accepted for full dinner service in our first floor dining room.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Russell P. Jones
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Reservations are only accepted for full dinner service in our first floor dining room.
- Entertainment: Reservations are only accepted for full dinner service in our first floor dining room.
- Special Events: Jack Rose Dining Saloon has several beautiful private and semi-private spaces that are perfect for your next private or corporate event. Our Balcony Room features its own private bar and balcony, as well as a wood burning fireplace, and can accommodate up to 20 guests for a seated dinner, or up to 40 for a reception. Our Open Aired Terrace can accommodate a reception of up to 170 guests. Looking for something a bit smaller? Our outdoor Tiki Bar is the perfect place for a festive reception of 25 guests. Need more space? Our downstairs Saloon can accommodate a group of up to 160 guests. A full restaurant buy-out is available and can accommodate up to 300 guests.
- Cross Street: Florida Ave. NW
- Public Transit: Metro Accessible via Red Line. Located between to Dupont Circle Metro and Adams Morgan/ Woodley Park. Bus Lines 42 and 90
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Park at Adams Morgan is a convenient parking garage located on the southern edge of Adams Morgan at 1711 Florida Ave., NW, one block east of the intersection of 18th Street and California Street.
Reservations are only excepted for full dinner service in our first floor dining room.
A word from Jack Rose Dining Saloon
At Jack Rose Dining Saloon one can experience over 1700 bottles of hand-selected scotches, bourbons & whiskey, uniquely hand-crafted cocktails, wines from around the world, and over 20 beers on draft. The cuisine boasts a contemporary narrative of classic American flavors. Our menu is sourced from the best purveyors of the east coast region bringing you the freshest meat, game, seafood and produce. At Jack Rose Dining Saloon, one can sense the ties and tributes between the region, and the long history of the spirits that line the shelves. Reservations are only excepted for full dinner service in our first floor dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Jack Rose Dining Saloon - Best Restaurants in Adams Morgan ›
Jack Rose Dining Saloon reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (37)neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (23)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (21)good for groups (13)late-night find (13)romantic (7)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Too Noisy!!Foodie4LifeVIPDined on 8/21/2014I dined with one of my friends last week. We had to basically shout over the two person table! The layout is best for a vibrant bar scene but definitely not a quiet dinner. The food was good but the menu does not have a large variety of choices. Service was great and staff are attentive.Special Features:
- ImpressiveWinning25VIPDined on 8/19/2014I have been to Jack Rose several times and each time it has been a fantastic dining experience. From the attentive and friendly wait staff, to the bourbon master that brings your bourbon to your table, and finally the amazing food - this is a must dine experience. The restaurant features nice ambiance in their main dining area and also features an upstairs rooftop bar for apps and drinks.Special Features:
- Who knew there were so many...erikeguardDined on 8/14/2014Scotches, Whiskeys, Bourbons, Ryes, etc...over 1500. Being new to those drinks I ventured out of my comfort zone and tried a tasting flight. The Scotch-sommelier came over and helped put together a tasting for newbie like me based on the flavor profiles I enjoy. Quite the experience and I found an appreciation for that barley liquor. The restaurant is great, love the booths, the brick exposed shelving hosting the array of liquors. And the food was really enjoyable, don't forget to order the cornbread with the bacon jam. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Whiskey, Batman.LoopDined on 8/14/2014The most whiskeys in the Western hemisphere or so they claim. After looking at their list, I don't doubt it. Nahim Simon does a wonderful job beverage directing. The menu is relatively concise but very thoughtfully executed. Service was just OK. My father and I had a great time on our most recent visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whisky forever!RickVIPDined on 8/12/2014The food menu here is somewhat limited, although what I had (roast chicken) was excellent. But the selection of Scotch and other whiskies by far exceeds anything else I've ever seen, in Scotland or anywhere else. If you like Scotch, Bourbon, or any other kind of whisky, this is the place. Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Great meal - missed the terraceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Had a great meal in the dining room. would have really preferred the terrace but i couldnt bring my 19 year old daughter up with me on a friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food matches the spiritsCuriousCarnivoreDined on 8/6/2014Great to see the food catch up with the selection of fine spirits. If you are a whisky fan, this is the place to be, although it can become an expensive evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- epic for drinksMarkVIPDined on 8/1/2014One sign that you are in a place that knows its way around booze: 2,000 bottles lining the walls of the downstairs dining room. Jack Rose is mostly known as a bar, but the food shouldn't be overlooked. On a recent visit my group of 3 shared a variety of apps with 2 of us ordering cocktails and the other ordering wine. The food was well-prepared with a certain creative flair. Each of the 3 bars in the house offers different cocktails. You can go with standard bar booze or easily find something that will cost several hundred dollars for a taste. The bartenders take their business seriously but are also friendly (as they should be). The upstairs bars are energetic and allow cigar smoking.Special Features:
- A little disappointing...HS61Dined on 7/30/2014We were promptly ushered to a booth upon arrival and allowed to settle. The server welcomed us in what seemed to be an appropriate time. Great choice of beer and interesting menu. After placing our orders, the food came within what seemed to be an appropriate interval. The green tomato gazpacho was excellent. However, the rest was disappointing. Corn bread was nicely presented in a cast iron skillet, but was too sweet, and the butter (or blend?) was too salty.The two did not go well together.Fried oysters were fresh but batter was tasteless. The bed of sauce was too sweet and not complementary. The shrimp cocktail was fresh, but you can't mess that up! So all in all, if it weren't for the lovely service and soup, not worth returning to.Special Features:
- First time, great timeClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is the place if you enjoy varying your cocktail and enjoying the whole bourbon experience. Excellent folks explaining it all. Food was really good with great sides to compliment dinner. A Must as I will be Back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDinnerandDrinksGirlDined on 7/25/2014The drinks were creative and unique for this area. The food was truly amazing. Southern cook with great recipes you don't see in DC often. Very much enjoyed the whisky list and ability to try anything I could think of.Special Features:
- Great night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The service was the best we've had in years. The rooftop bar was great, definitely will go back!Special Features:
- Whiskey Galore!ToddinDCVIPDined on 7/10/2014This is a great place to enjoy whiskey, and every possible whiskey you could imagine. Our waitress was very knowledgable and helped us navigate the vast menu. As a result, I tried new whiskey I would normally not consider! This is a great place to relax and enjoy your evening.Special Features:
- Great food, too loud to converse.CsnativeDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed Ribeye and a great chocolate desert, but we could hear each other during dinner. We couldn't wait to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bourbon, scotch, whiskey, and beerKyBeDined on 7/5/2014Dining room is a spectacle of bottles! The vibe is rustic and well-worn, like a toasted barrel of any of the spirits they serve. Impressive beer list too. Food was tasty and interesting - experiment with the small plates and sides over the entrees. Pecan pie was eh. Knowledgeable and friendly staff, great atmosphere for evening with friends. Roof bar was an ideal start on a warm night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Selectionddhmi88Dined on 7/5/2014Was traveling around DC for the fourth, and had found this place on a "Best Whiskey Bars in the US" list. I have a great fondness of whiskey and was quite eager to visit. My girlfriend and I made an early reservation, and enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant when it was pretty empty. The wait staff was great, but the real service came from the Chris the Whiskey Advisor. His comprehensive knowledge and enthusiasm was impressive, along with his ability to communicate made for a delightful experience. I'd certainly recommend this establishment to anyone with an appreciation for Scotch and Whiskey and amazing food.Special Features:
- A great find.RocketsGuyVIPDined on 7/4/2014Apart from the restaurant running out of its featured entrée, which we wanted to order, our experience was top-notch. Bourbon selection was phenomenal, as was the "bourbon advisor". Food was quite good; the new chef is doing great things. The Asst. GM is also doing a great job pulling the entire restaurant/experience together. We will certainly go back.Special Features:
- Not just for Whiskey loversOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014While they boast a collection of whiskey and scotch that is out of this world, I drank a lovely white wine and had a fabulous piece of fish. My scotch loving friends from out of town absolutely adored this place. Other than our waitress asking us every 60 seconds if we were ready to order, we had a great evening and enjoyed the food very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite places in DC!acoffingVIPDined on 6/27/2014Gracious service from every person on staff: the hostesses, to our fantastic server Nafis, to the gentleman bartender up in the corner Tiki bar, to Trevor and Justin in Dram & Green. Special mention to Nafis. I have met very few servers who are as passionate and knowledgable as he is, but still maintains a friendly and professional demeanor. Each of the dishes we ordered from start to finish were delectable and memorable. The rooftop bar is casual, but the service is as upscale as it is downstairs. The speakeasy is roomier than most I've been to, and the drinks are strong. And although there is a time limit, we never felt rushed. The overall ambiance of the establishment is cool without trying too hard. I cannot wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScotchMike28aVIPDined on 6/12/2014Scotch, Scotch, Scotch, Scotch. Bourbon. Rye. The food is a nice companion to the spirits at Jack Rose. The room is lively and the bottles lining the walls tell you all that you really need to know. Go to Jack Rose to learn about Scotch and other national whiskys.Special Features:
- mcasDined on 6/9/2014We enjoyed a Monday girls night out. Food was very good. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PressuredOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2014The food was fantastic and the whiskey expert was very helpful when it came to selecting a whiskey that fit our palate, but our waiter was overly pushy when it came to selecting food choices. He was training a new server and she seemed very timid under his overbearing presentation of the menu. While he was extremely knowledgeable, I would have appreciated him taking his enthusiasm down a few notches so that we didn't feel so pressured to impress him with our choices.Special Features:
- The food has gone downhillDCDinerVIPDined on 5/24/2014I used to love the food at Jack Rose, but recently everything seems over-salted. I went with a party of 4, we had 8 dishes between us and 7 of them were too salty. The risotto was so salty I gave up after a few bites and waited for my entree. Unfortunately, that was also salty and lacked any other seasoning. I still love the ambiance and cocktails, but the food needs serious improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacemfostDined on 5/23/2014My girlfriend and I discovered this place from an article we saw online about this being one of the best whiskey bars in the nation. We went here because their dinner menu also sounded very appealing and we were not let down. The food was excellent, however the rib eye we ordered was relatively small, but cooked perfectly and packed with flavor. They were very friendly and we even got to speak with their in house whiskey guy who was able to recommend us to try some new scotches we haven't had. He was very knowledgeable on everything they had. The rest of the staff was very friendly and welcoming. I will definitely be going here again.Special Features:
- The Library of WhiskiesPhudeeDined on 5/15/2014Pros: The restaurant has an excellent layout, great lighting, visually striking as you are surrounded by a wall of whiskies, good noise level. In short, atmospherically the place is excellent. The menu is well rounded and very good. Cons: Although the wait staff was very professional during dinner, I found the bartender prior to dining rude and pretentious. No reason to slander him by name in a public review, but have added a note to the restaurant. One example, he mentioned that a particular beer was out, I inquired what it was like (it's popular, I might try it at a later point in time). He said "It doesn't matter. It's out." In short, a very unimpressive bartender who should be engaging clientele rather than dismissing them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pilgrimage for DC Whiskey DrinkerspmcelroyjrDined on 5/13/2014Jack Rose Dining Saloon was everything I could have hoped for. Not only was the selection of whiskey beyond my wildest dreams, their bar tenders (read sommeliers for whiskey and bourbon) and servers were incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. I came for their Pappy Van Winkle, but I will return because of their staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started off just fineBlackbrdsingingDined on 5/9/2014We arrived at five pm and the place was empty. No one at the tables downstairs and maybe two couples at the bar. Out waiter was attentive and kind. We spoke to the whisky specialist, but decided to wait until after dinner to browse their extensive list. The food was GREAT and came out fast and hot. Here came the trouble. Once people started arriving, the staff became totally indifferent to us. They sat the next couple that came in RIGHT next to us and it was awkwardly close. It took fifteen minutes to get the waiter to clear our plates and by then we were on a time crunch. When the whisky guy suggested a bottle for my boyfriend, it took fifteen more to realize it wasn't in stock. He DID give us a great scotch, but made us late to our show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than bourbon and scotchworlddinerDined on 5/8/2014Jack Rose is well known for its huge selection of spirits. My wife and I had been there once before and had found the food ok, but this time it was really outstanding - from very fresh, seasonal ingredients. It's now on our list as a place to return to for a great meal, not just for an impossible to find elsewhere bourbon.Special Features:
- Food great but service needs a kickrestaurantagogoDined on 5/6/2014The food was outstanding although the menu is very short. Our service was not great. We waited forever to get drinks!Special Features:
- The following 181 reviews are from the Jack Rose Dining Saloon reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014My friend and I enjoyed a drink on Jack Rose’s roof-top bar one Saturday afternoon about 18 months ago. We enjoyed ourselves, and on the way out, took a look at the dining room and the menu. We decided both fit our tastes. I wish we would have followed up more quickly because we both enjoyed ourselves. The food was excellent, and you couldn’t ask for better service. We’ll certainly return.Special Features:
- Unbelievable Whisky SelectionBourbonGuyVIPDined on 4/19/2014For my friends birthday, I happened upon Jack Rose and couldn't have been happier with the food or beverage selection. They have the largest selection of bourbons and whiskys that I've ever seen, and have some truly rare offerings that I've never seen in restaurants before in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happydinerVIPDined on 4/18/2014This is the place to go for whiskey. Great selection, great advice, great atmosphere.Special Features:
- amazing single malt scotch coll'n!RollieDined on 4/11/2014The most amazing single malt scotch selection I've ever seen. And Mr. Frye is a wealth of information about them. We'll be returning here for the scotch for a long time to come. But the place isn't just a great bar. Its food is quite good too. Not gourmet, but still far better than what I'd assumed we would get at a place known for its selection liquor. The only significant downside was the noise level. We came on a Friday night at 6 and the place had filled up by 7. After that point, I could barely hear the people at my table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short Menu, big tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/7/2014I was a little confused when they carded me at the door, being as I have never been carded when entering a restaurant. The menu was pretty simple, but the whiskey list was enormous. The service was great, friendly and quick. The fried chicken skins was really tasty but it was probably something that I should have shared, instead of just eating the entire bowl to myself and feeling like a greedy pig. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whisky heavenWillieDVIPDined on 4/5/2014With over 2000 bottles available for purchase of 1oz and 2oz pours, there's literally something different to try every time you dine. The food was unexpectedly delicious! The ale-brined chicken with spaetzl was like thanksgiving without all the hassle. Whether it's pre-prohibition whisky for $88 per 1oz or an easy drinking 10yr scotch for $8, anyone can find something they like. My only complaint is that when they tried to set up a tasting flight, 5 guys were given 1 glass of each pour, without any guidance about how to get more or if the pour was just to nose, or to sample. Confusion for the diner and waiter set in heavily.Special Features:
- Mark as a MUST VisitBigBDined on 3/31/2014Jack Rose is a definite MUST visit if you are in the DC area. Food and service are 5 star. Known for having the most liquid by volume in North America they are sure to have something you wish to drink. Be sure and stop here the next time you are in the DC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Protects Against VampiresKrisDined on 3/30/2014I was visiting DC from the Southwest, and among other things, seeing a friend who lives in the area. Both of us had decided independently that the Jack Rose was a place we wanted to try (we're both scotch drinkers). So we went (on an rainy quiet night) and brought several of our friends. The food was great (not cheap, but for the quality, also not particularly expensive in the big picture of DC), the whisk(e)y book was epic. 48 pages. I tried four whiskies in all, including two from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. Whiskies on that list are unique single barrel bottlings named after judges' descriptions, like "Protects Against Vampires" (a Laphraoig I tried), "Antics of a Prankster," and "A Ballerina in Stilletos." Fun stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the huge selection ofDonnaDined on 3/22/2014Loved the huge selection of scotch they had. Everyone was nice & knowledgeable of what the scotches carried. Food was good too. Would recommend it to any Scotch lover.Special Features:
- Incredible Whiskeyzoo76Dined on 3/15/2014Jack Rose is approximately 50% Bourbon and Rye whiskey, 50% Scotch whiskey, 10% other beverage and 35% food (I know those do not add properly). Despite a succinct menu, this establishment is incredible for foodies; every item is wonderfully prepared and tastes as great as it looks. The whiskey enthusiast will be even happier. With, oh I don't know, about 2000 whiskies on hand, and a fully knowledgeable staff to help with selections, Jack Rose is CERTAIN to please. Do not hesitate, make a reservation today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant Collection of WhiskysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014With over 35 pages of different Whisky/Whiskey/Bourbon to choose from in their "menu" ... it would be impossible not to find a drink that you haven't tried before. Amazing selection ! And with 3 walls of the bar covered (floor to high ceiling) in bottles, it is a feast for the eyes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.