Jack Dusty Coastal Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails
1111 Ritz-Carlton Drive
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Jack Dusty Coastal Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jackdusty.com/
- Phone: 9413092266
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00am - 11:00pm; Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dwayne Edwards
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Jack Dusty Coastal Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails
Who is Jack Dusty? Jack Dusty, so named for the 18th century short-hand term for the naval store clerk whose responsibility included doling out the daily lot of rum to sailors and maintaining the ship’s inventory of food supplies, offers guests a bevy of dining and drinking options with indoor/outdoor seating and views of sparkling Sarasota Bay and beyond. Jack Dusty features modern classic seafood, offers a lively bar and presents a prominent cocktail program.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Jack Dusty Coastal Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Jack Dusty Coastal Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (42)scenic view (41)special occasion (35)fit for foodies (24)vibrant bar scene (23)romantic (19)late-night find (15)hot spot (14)notable wine list (12)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (9)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Tasteless FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014The food was tasteless. $12 lobster bisque with no taste or flavor at all. Bread was tasteless. Ambiance is wonderful so go for a drink but the food isn't worth the price or the time.Special Features:
- Needs some refinements...DiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Have eaten here multiple times since their opening and given great reviews in the past but a recent visit for my wife's birthday was a little disappointing. Sat outside on the patio where a Jazz Guitarist/entertainer was playing but was it so loud over the speakers we couldn't talk and ended up giving my wife a headache. Typically have had good luck with their wine list but this time was peeved to find too few interesting and affordable bottles. Ended up paying $140 for a mediocre bottle of Stag's Leap. Food seemed much too salty than it really needed to be. Will try again later but SRQ has too many great restaurants in walking distance to stumble too often.Special Features:
- Great spotFamilyMan1Dined on 8/10/2014Jack Dusty did not disappoint. Perfectly fresh wahoo, grilled, delicious, the potatoes were good. My wife's crab cake was made with big chunks of crab, tasty. Our out of town guest was very pleased. Our server was very pleasant and relaxed. The view is great. The location is ideal. It's one of my favorite Sarasota restaurants.Special Features:
- enigmaDined on 8/9/2014This is a remarkable location, Ritz ambience. Extraordinary vistas seated inside or out. The food is very good with unique presentation. Every Ritz representative is forthcoming and prepared to serve you from parking to reception to management. When you enter the restaurant something changes. The restaurant service is adequate! Something is missing in the interaction with customers at bar and tableside. Nevertheless , I love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks to Karl and AndrewMeeeVIPDined on 8/7/2014My wife and had dinner, served by Karl, and breakfast, served by Andrew. Both experiences were simply first class! Karl and Andrew continued to provide that pampered, attentive service that we felt throughout our stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota. We'll certainly remember the meals and will definitely come back. Thanks again to Karl and Andrew!Special Features:
- it was our 21st month anniversarycavcandoDined on 7/26/2014And ad usual Lyle treated us wonderfully! Even brought us a dessert plate with H A written on it. He is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cindiVIPDined on 7/21/2014I can't say enough good things about Jack Dusty. The food and service were beyond excellent with attention to every detail. Our server, Liddy, went way beyond superlative and made our experience perfect in everyway.
- ImpressedRingRingDined on 7/21/2014All the staff very up-beat smiling and complimentary. Our service pet was welcomed and complimented on her well behavior. Our service dog was very relaxed which speaks very highly for the environment and the staff.Special Features:
- Perfect Night4thYesDined on 7/7/2014We were staying at the Ritz and had reservations off property as well, but decide to stay at the hotel and enjoy Jack Dusty's. It was a great decision, we had a wonderful table, outside with the sun setting behind the pool across the bay. We had made mention that it was our anniversary in the reservation, and the staff made a point to congratulate us a couple of times and I don't think it hurt in terms of the table we were given. We had a couple of expensive crafted cocktails, but not so expensive that we didn't order more of them. Our means were wonderful, and we would expect to go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014The restaurant has a great look and feel. Friendly hostess. Great menue. Food average to a little above average. Service was friendly however poor. Drinks from the bar not re ordered, water empty not refilled, dishes not cleared from the table. We will try again, maybe just an off night.Special Features:
- Great service, lousy receptionTMKPVBVIPDined on 7/4/2014Once again great table service but hostess/reception needs better training..food is tasty and well presented....
- breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Service and food was outstanding. Eggs Benedict are a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousFoodieExtraordinaireDined on 6/25/2014this was such a great find....great NEW food choices, great service, great décor, great flavors.... we loved it and can't wait to bring our friends. The whole snapper and the grits and shrimp...OUTSTANDING!!!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceoperanerdDined on 6/24/2014During a four-day stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota, my wife and I ate dinner at Jack Dusty twice---and it was not simply because of the location. Neither of our meals could have been better; furthermore the servers were attentive, helpful, and polite. We recommend any of the crafted cocktails (especially the retooled old-fashioned) and the mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so-soBDinSRQDined on 6/22/2014Went there for a birthday dinner. Had a lovely view and sat outside. Was quite noisy as there was a large party going on in an adjacent area. The server was very nice, but very slow. Took 20+ minutes to get us our drinks. Had the lobster bisque, was not worth the $12. Had the pear salad, which was good, but quite expensive for a salad at $18 (I think). Had the grouper etouffee, nothing like I've had in New Orleans, the red beans weren't cooked, the greens were very salty, and the grouper was tasty but overcooked. The cioppino was good. I know they have revamped the restaurant to be more casual, but I expected more from a Ritz. wait-staff in sneakers, servers in denim aprons, paper placemats, etc. Not worth $200 for dinner.Special Features:
- Jack Dusty - A Jacked-Up ExperienceTheSeriousFoodieDotNetVIPDined on 6/21/2014The Serious Foodie & Company (www.thesesriousfoodie.net) paid our first visit to Jack Dusty last weekend - and it won't be our last. We decided on the Ritz Carlton venue because of the outstanding al fresco dining, and the reviews of the innovative cocktails. We certainly were delighted with both the drinks and the view, but we were more than pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, and the service. They were close to getting 5 stars from us - probably more like 4.5 stars - but we loved the way everything was prepared, from their version of fried green tomatoes, to the fish special (a wonderful triple tail) and a comfortable version of New Orleans styled blackened grouper. The team of Lori and Carl was knowledgeable and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lylecavcandoDined on 6/9/2014Our server is the best! You can tell he has years of experience and knows how to read and treat his guests! We won't have any other server....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful19yearsstrongDined on 6/5/2014We had late lunch which lasted for 2 hours and were never made to feel rushed. The food was wonderful in its presentation and taste, and the waiter and servers were attentive and not intrusive. I would return again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for drinksDineoutdivaDined on 5/23/2014Service was very poor and slow. We had to ask for everything. Noise level very high. Frustrating experience. Would not go again.
- mixed bagsearchingDined on 5/21/2014I had grouper etoufee, smallish piece of grouper with large amount of crawfish, rice, beans, just not memorable. Husband very happy with his scallop special and crab cake appetizer. My mozzarella/tomato salad was not that well seasoned, needed some basil or balsamic or something? The key lime pie we shared was vey good. The bread they serve was an odd choice with the menu, a brown molasses bread, on the sweet side, baked in a can, reminded me of the seventies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, food mixedwineguyDined on 5/20/2014Very nice modern ambiance, good service for Sarasota, good menu and OK wine list, but food preparat6ion is mixed. We love the variety of vegetables included, which were well-prepared and the crab cakes were good. But, for the second time in a row, the fish of the day was WAY overcooked. Part of it was burnt and inedible. The server and manager were understanding and removed the offending dish from the bill, but it ruined an otherwise enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dusty LunchthisartofwineDined on 5/19/2014Pricey, pretty, adequate. Friendly but often absent server.
- Not what we hoped it would besmay655Dined on 5/16/2014Jack Dusty was our anniversary. We ate at the Ritz/Sarasota a few years ago at main dining room that has been replaced by JD. We were surprised by a more casual atmosphere than in the past. That's fine, though we had gotten dressed up for the occasion. Menu choices didn't impress. For the pricing we knew to expect we thought there would be more intriguing options. I get it that this is coastal cuisine ala New Orleans, or Charleston, SC low country. But.....serving dinner bread out of a tin can? Serving desserts out of Mason jars? Cute - but not what I expect from the Ritz Carlton. Can go elsewhere at a fraction of the cost for a more fitting ambiance for that type of cuisine.Special Features:
- Expensive and lovely & disappontingNiteoutDined on 5/14/2014A sophisticated ambiance, tranquil views ,excellent service with an interesting menu that disappointsSpecial Features:
- Good, but not greatDonCDined on 5/11/2014Our server was a little less than polished and not at the typical Ritz level of professionalism. My seafood dish was excellent, but my wife's filet was overcooked and the replacement filet took some 20 minutes to arrive....while my dish got cold. The experience was a bit of a letdown as we expected more from the Ritz and the rather high price for the experience.Special Features:
- Food was outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Great food. Had the cobia, one of the best tasting fish I have had in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findRichardDined on 5/11/2014We took mother out for her day. Everything Was extraordinary. In addition, my wife was impressed with glassware, plates etc. Food delicious, service impeccable. Very Lovely waterfront view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreativeChrissyVIPDined on 5/10/2014The Ritz does not disappoint in creating in an interesting ambiance. Service was excellent. More choices for non-seafood eaters would be helpful. The brown bread was so good!!Special Features:
- Elegant but not SnootylldincDined on 5/9/2014Excellent food and service. Unparalled view of Sarasota Bay. Make reservations well in advance and ask for table near windows or outside.Special Features:
- Encore performancezgalVIPDined on 5/8/2014We dined twice here during our stay at the Ritz because we enjoyed it so much the first time. This time we enjoyed some oysters, a green salad and two fish specials, including a 3-tail. The Butter Chardonnay is a must, so hope that it stays on the menu. Our server, Jeremy, was knowledgeable and friendly. Can't wait to return to Sarasota and to Jack Dusty's.Special Features:
- PerfectzgalVIPDined on 5/6/2014Our evening started off with the Butter Chardonnay, which was exceptional. We ordered the Burrata salad, oysters and the fish special. All were outstanding, and our server, Jeff, couldn't have been more courteous and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ritz-Hosted eventLatte2oliveDined on 5/4/2014-An astounding environment, chic and elegant place to have a glass of wine at sunset, enjoy the coastal view, and a hoppin' evening energy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/3/2014Waited 45 minutes for my oysters to come out and then waited another 50 minutes for our meals. We had to threaten to walk out in order to be served. We will not be back. Very disappointing.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Jack Dusty Coastal Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails reviews archive.
- DisappointedPUptonDined on 4/27/2014When the first two people in our party arrived exactly on time for the 11:45am lunch reservation they were told it would be a few minutes before the table was ready. A few minutes later they were escorted to the far end of the terrace - there was only ONE other table occupied at the time! A man took their drink order and said he was not their server. The rest of us arrived and no one came to take a drink order for 10 minutes - then another man brought bread and said he was not the server. After 20 minutes, I asked someone who appeared to be a manager if we could please get waited on. In all, six different people ultimately brought food and drinks. No one seemed to be in charge. Horrible service. Expensive food, not worth it.
- Easter Lunch/dinnerthomasDined on 4/20/2014We did not request an outdoor table reservation but they accommodated, once we saw that availability. From that point on, it continued to be a great experience: from the service to the meal, we could have been more pleased. The Ritz certainly knows about top level customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion event!!SealegDined on 4/15/2014We were given a lovely corner table for our group of four. The food was inventive and very well prepared. Luis, our server, was a standout and made our evening exceptionally enjoyable. Lots of buzz in the air and we will certainly return. The free valet parking was a great idea!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchSteveDined on 4/15/2014Wonderful service per usual. Lynette is a gem. Craft cocktails are more adventurous than food items. Both are impeccably executed. I would like to see the food items expanded with more risky and unique choices. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muy bueno!FernandoDined on 4/15/2014Great atmosphere for business or pleasure, food was so good, same the service.Special Features:
- Great food and they accommodatedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2014Great food and they accommodated special requests for 1/2 order of oysters and when I asked about a cocktail their bar man made me something unique which was terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again didn't disappointFamilyMan1Dined on 4/4/2014Nice welcome, attentive staff. I made a last minute reservation and was escorted to a table I didn't particularly like, they kindly moved me to a preferred spot. The food was very good, ordered the blistered peppers which remind Spanish tapas, the bread which is too sweet for my taste (it's more like a dessert) so our server brought us a toasted baguette which was perfect. My wife had a delicious beef brisket with cauliflower and I had the grouper étouffée perfectly prepared. One thing I did't like was that the dishes were not piping hot… we decided not to make a big deal about this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.