Jack & Giulio's Italian Restaurant
2391 San Diego Ave
San Diego, CA 92110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Jack & Giulio's Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jackandgiulios.com/
- Phone: (619) 294-2074
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giulio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Our balcony is available for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Jack 6192942074
A word from Jack & Giulio's Italian Restaurant
Jack and Giulio's Italian restaurant has remained a favorite of San Diegans for many years. This popular restaurant, formerly known as Giulio's of Pacific Beach, has proudly served the "Best Scampi" since 1961. In addition to this popular dish, this family-owned and operated restaurant offers many homemade pastas, veal, poultry, beef, and seafood specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Jack & Giulio's Italian Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Old Town ›
Jack & Giulio's Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (24)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (15)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- EXCELLENTciajoeDined on 11/13/2014Can't say enough good things about food and wine. There were 4 of us, all had something different and each dish was excellent. We've been here before, but it had been way to long since we'd been back. Won't make that mistake again. Service was great. Had the best time, great food made the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodsdtooDined on 11/8/2014we've come to this restaurant a number of times over the years and it is consistently delicious. love the j and g special salad and the scampi alla guilio. great to be able to count on a positive and yummy dining experienceSpecial Features:
- why why whyxedm001Dined on 11/8/2014Why did we go here? Lived in San Diego my whole life and the wife and I decided to here. I had the veal which tasted as if it was microwaved. Breading was a poor excuse. Wife had the overcooked famous shrimp scampi. I do have to say the olives were good. Sorry Jack wont be going back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/30/2014excellent food, service. Owner is especially friendly. Good quiet, neighborhood spotSpecial Features:
- Scampi a la GiulioMissTDined on 10/28/2014There is one signature dish at Jack and Giulio's that has not changed for the past 35 years, and Scampi a la Giulio is what brings us back, because it cannot be found anywhere else. It is perfection. I know someday I will try another item on the menu, because other people at our table have also enjoyed their selection. All the pasta is handmade, and there is a great video on the restaurant's website with chef Giulio demonstrating the Pasta Alfredo! Such elegance-check it out :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrowniesmomVIPDined on 10/25/2014Location was very convenient from our hotel, and service and food were excellent!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerPilgrimDined on 10/24/2014We went recently to celebrate our anniversary with another couple. In addition to the usual excellent meal, they cut and served a special cake brought in by the other couple and brought us complimentary after dinner drinks. A class operation from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RolowalkinDined on 10/22/2014The food was excellent, the service was great, I highly recommend Jack and Giulio's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JACK & GIULIO’SDonFDined on 10/11/2014One of my favorite restaurants in San Diego. I have been coming to this restaurant since the early 1970's when it was located in PB. Its current location in Old Town is even better since it is quite close to where I stay in Mission Hills.. The Scampi alla Giulio is the best ever and I defy anyone to find a better entre when ordering shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a nice business dinnerMsDineDined on 10/3/2014Had a chance to talk since it wasn't noisy. My dish was supposed to have a side of pasta. I asked for gluten free. They only had 'tubes'. Brought me a whole bowl of them along with my chicken Marsala. Had to ask them to put on one dish. Treat yourself to the chocolate mousse. Yum! Booths are a bit tight to put four people at (normal size people).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteEmleyDined on 9/27/2014We met friends at Giulio's and had a perfect corner table where we could see the lovely lit patio. I had the Valdostana di Vitello and my husband had their other specialty Scampi alla Giulio. Both were amazing. The scampi was perfectly cooked and the sauce was light and not overpowering. (I'll order that next time.) Every bite of my Valdostana was delicious. We were going to share our meals, but we each enjoyed them so much there was no passing! For desert we had the ricotta cheesecake which rivaled what we had enjoyed at a hill top town in Italy. Guilio still works in the kitchen insuring each dish is perfect. A very nice man. Extremely enjoyable evening. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!!!!!!TallgirlDined on 9/26/2014I went to this restaurant almost 20 years ago. I was worried because Yelp gave the place a bad review. I was there with my mom and brother. I believe Gabriel was our server. He was excellent and attentive. I came down from Temecula, which was an hour away. We were not disappointed. Even when I called to cage my reservation from 530 to 600, the hostess was very pleasant on the phone. She even told me to drive carefully. Will be going back with hubby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MollyDookerDined on 9/24/2014When I go to an Italian restaurant I try the osso bucco or cioppino in this case I had the cioppino and I must say it is one of the better places to have it. Not too heavy on the tomatoes and enough seafood flavor served over spaghetti al dente. I would recommend this cioppino to anyone. The kicker were the baby lobster tails. I would recommend the valpolicella wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014exceptional food was fantastic service was exemplarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack in da boxYuuuupVIPDined on 8/5/2014Slow sloppy service compliments the sloppy "Italian" dished that are tossed out of this neighborhood restaurant - enjoyed the outdoors but the food should have been so much better.Special Features:
- Remember the customerLizzieB05Dined on 8/5/2014The food was good. The service needs a dose of reality. I have marked this down over that one thing. The menu had a Veal Escaloppe with your choice of pasta or vegetables. I asked to have spaghetti. I was shown a section of print at the bottom saying 'no substitutions allowed' he said it was Rigatoni and as the owner was the chef, there were no exceptions. Then they served Penne, not Rigatoni! LOL. They also brought my husband's starter of bruschetta after the main courses had arrived. Really though, it was arrogant service totally out of place in America where we have been blown away by the service. The chef may be the owner but it is the customer who keeps the restaurant afloat, bills paid and the owner in business.
- The following 269 reviews are from the Jack & Giulio's Italian Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014Food was very good and menu broad. They had gluten free options but do not make other changes to dishes. Service was a bit rushed - they wanted to give us our main courses half way through our appetizers. Authentic Italian feel & the live music was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Bus boy incredibly rudelovegreatfoodDined on 7/26/2014I have always liked Jack & Julio's. However, the service we got from the middle aged busboy (whatever he was) was awful. My chair needed to be wiped off. This man seemed annoyed at my request and made a big fuss of wiping off the chair. The table was next to a large plant which prevented a friend from siting. This waiter/busboy started breaking branches off the plant and throwing them on the ground. Then he decided that our table needed to be moved to allow more room for the waiter. This brought attention to the fact that one of our party was a large person. Our table should have been moved to begin with and this whole uncomfortable episode could have been avoided instead of making my birthday celebration unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/7/2014Great salads and Scampi. Food was excellent and setting is very romantic.Special Features:
- J and G'srish3Dined on 7/1/2014We have been going to Jack and Giulio's since they were in PB. We were thrilled to learn that they moved to Old Town. We have been to J and G's many times and never fail to have a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Great . . . again!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014We took a friend visiting from Arizona. He loved it as much as we do. It's our go-to place for special occasions--and fantastic food!Special Features:
- dinahVIPDined on 6/22/2014The food is fine but not exceptional or special. The service was most attentive.
- Not happyUnhappyDined on 6/13/2014First let me start by saying we have been to Jack and Giulios almost everytime we visit San Diego but we will not be returning. Our server did not interduce herself to start. The food was horrible. This has never been the case when we have visited. The buschetta had no taste to it at all. The chicken fettuccine was bland as well. I had ordered wine for dinner that I was very pleased with but our server never came back to ask if I would like another glass wich I would have decently taken. Before arriving my fiancé and discussed using Jack and Giulios for our wedding rehearsal dinner but unfortantly will not be returning.Special Features:
- Exquisite restaurantKovyDined on 6/7/2014I used to be a regular at this fine restaurant and often brought family and clients there. Business took me away for 8 years. When I came home I very pleased to find that Jack & Julio's had maintained the excellence that I remember. I will be a regular again.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious pastasharethebestVIPDined on 5/31/2014Really enjoyed Jack and Guilio's for a pre-marathon dinner We had a lot of delicious food, i think the best of which was the Angel Hair pasta and the Lasagna…. very fresh and fabulous! Jack the owner was very nice and he made us feel like we were personal guests. The waitress was sweet and meant well, but seemed inexperienced. We sat outside and it was a very nice evening,Special Features:
- Viva ItaliaItalianFanaticDined on 5/28/2014Have visited Jack and Giulio's over past 45 years, and have always been very pleased with the quality of food. I highly recommend the Veal Scalopini Marsala.. The best I have ever had of ANY Italian restaurant. They have a good selection of Wine, to go with any dish served. While pricing of the selections seems a bit higher than many expect for an Italian place, the location demands a higher operating cost, and I do not mind paying the small amount more.Special Features:
- Jack & Guilio's RestaurantLifeIsGoodDined on 5/24/2014We go there for birthday celebrations. The food and service is great -- their shrimp scampi is outstanding. I have also had the veal piccata which is very good.Special Features:
- DinnerontimeDined on 5/16/2014We have been dining at Gluio's since they were down at the beach. Now that we live in Phoenix, we make a trip over at least once a year so that we can get our Scampi Giulio fix. Our daughter's rehearsal dinner was at Jack and Julio's a number of years ago and it was lovely. We'd recommend the intimate, friendly setting, elegant food and great wine list. Patio dining is perfect when the weather permits as the noise level is a bit lower than indoors.Special Features:
- Since I was a kid!kikiDined on 5/11/2014We started going to Giulio's in Pacific Beach when I was a kid. In all these years, the quality has remained consistently outstanding, and it's a family favorite for special occasions. It's my Mom's favorite restaurant, so there's never any doubt about where to take her for Mother's Day!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be in PBOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Scampi was OK. Veal & eggplant parmesan was dry. Minestrone was bland and not Italian.
- OKFoodEvalDined on 4/18/2014I expected much better when I saw that Zagats gave it 27 out of 30 for food. It was OK, and old-line. Very traditional Italian food from restauratns from the 70s and 80s. In fact, I see the place started in the 60s. I had a seafood stew that was good, though a coupld of the tiems we some overcooked. I went to Solare in Point Lomo and liked it much better.
- Yummy pasta & wonderful waitersLovethewineDined on 4/14/2014My daughters and I had a great dinner here. Our waiter was friendly and fun. It was a great place, cute comfortable feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experiencenydadDined on 4/14/2014Although this was our 1st visit, my wife & I were welcomed like old friends. The service was wonderful, the wine recommendation was spot on. The food brought back memories of the meals our mothers served when we were young, the deserts were great. We were visiting San Diego, if we lived in the area this would be a place to go on a regular basis.Special Features:
- STILL ONE OF THE BEST IN SAN DIEGOSteveCVIPDined on 4/13/2014My wife and I have been coming here for several years whenever we are in the area for a visit. We originally found this place by accident and we have never had a bad meal here. The check can be a little pricey if you have drinks and dessert however, everything on the menu is outstanding and the service great. While most would probably describe the menu as gourmet Italian food, I am not a fan of gourmet food in general and yet this place is the best! I highly recommend trying the Tortellini Verdi as it is outstanding.Special Features:
- Scampi to Die ForDVonBDined on 4/11/2014For well over 30 years we have gone to Jack and Giulio's for SCAMPI GIULIO'S. It is so rare that you can continue to get this awesome dish time after time over that long a period and it still pleases every time. I'm not sure that scampi could be done better anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improved MenubigmattVIPDined on 4/9/2014Has been a while since previous visit. Menu has undergone updating, much improved. Additions to our liking; veal & eggplant parmigiana was my choice an dit was very good; will have again next visit. My lady always has the shrimp scampi and did again, she loved it. Wine list has also been revised, most new labels I'm familiar, but reasonably priced. Nice alfresco dining area.Special Features:
- Memorably consistentMaryLizDined on 3/31/2014We have been going to this restaurant for almost 40 years for its signature " Scampi Giulio" and it has NEVER disappointed. The dish itself is outstanding ( giant butterflied shrimp, lightly breaded, in a champagne, mushroom, butter sauce) that you devour and then reach for a piece of bread to slather and capture any remaining sauce. The chef owner, in his 80's , learned to cook from his father in a restaurant in the shadows of the Milan Opera House, and carried his recipes with him to San Diego. It's a treat to share this delight with anyone who comes to our city for a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Town RestaurantJazzLoversVIPDined on 3/23/2014This restaurant has a very relaxed atmosphere. The sauce used on the spaghetti was exceptional. It had a very rich, deep flavor. The Caesar salad portion is plenty to split between a couple. Our waiter was very attentive, making sure to keep our wine glasses filled. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for something other than Mexican while in Old Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!ParentsWeekendYr2Dined on 3/22/2014Hostess, bartender & our waiter were all very friendly! The food was "average" at best! Although restaurant is located in Old Town, we were hopeful this restaurant would surprise us. It didn't! We will not return..
- Food was good! really likedNannokDined on 3/22/2014Food was good! really liked the Scampi , which is their speciality. ...This restaurant was recommended by a friend.and didn't disappoint ! Service was a different story. ...waitress was surly with us ans was already getting her tip since we were a large party.....hire some friendly staff. .Special Features: