JA Nugget - Oyster Bar
1100 Nugget Ave
Sparks, NV 89431Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
JA Nugget - Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.janugget.com/
- Phone: 7753563300x
- Hours of Operation:
Open: Thursday - Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Norton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout
A word from JA Nugget - Oyster Bar
A favorite among locals and visitors alike, the Oyster Bar has been serving the freshest seafood, chowder, pan roasts and cioppino since 1959.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
JA Nugget - Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (9)special occasion (6)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great as alwaysDineNvDined on 10/9/2014I have been eating here for over 30 years, and have never had a bad meal. A couple of the servers have been there almost that long and the service today is as good as it was back then. My only complaint is that they are now closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.Special Features:
- Experience ExcellenceExcellenceDined on 9/19/2014John's Oyster Bar is a shining example of what Sparks has to offer. My wife and I are looking to relocate to Reno/Sparks from San Diego, CA and our dining experience at the Oyster Bar sealed the deal. The food was excellent, the wait staff excellent, the time it took to receive the meal from when we ordered it was less than 5 minutes. My wife ordered bouillabaisse which was the "perfect storm" of seafood, clams, lobster, shrimp, fish, crab legs, scallops in an excellent tomato based broth. I went a little lighter fare and ordered shrimp and cod fish. Another excellent dish. I will recommend John's Oyster Bar to everyone I know and to those I do not know... You need to Experience the Excellence for your self!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old standard, still good diningNettieoVIPDined on 9/13/2014The Nugget's Oyster Bar has been around for decades. The decor is VERY nautical - no question where you are - and the menu reflects it. Our selection - prawns scampi-style and a mixed green salad - was reliably good. We asked about a vegetable, seeing no option on the menu, and were told we could get asparagus from the steakhouse next door, but otherwise no, no vegetables. We split the salad and found it a smart move - each half was the size of a regular salad in most restaurants. Our prawn dishes arrived with a LOT of garlic rice & a garnish of lettuce, hard tomato, egg slice and a pickle. Interesting. Wine selections were good and fairly priced. Overall a good meal and attentive waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food quality has gone downhillLousyfoodDined on 8/31/2014This is the first time I have eaten at the Oyster Bar since the new ownership of the Nugget. This is no longer the same place. Service was fine but the food was poor across the board. There were 5 of us and two of us had the fish taco salad and it was TERRIBLE. The pan roasts were of a much lower quality than the previous times I have eaten there. The bread was dried out. None of us are planning to go back to this restaurant ever.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014The food and service, simply put, was nothing short of outstanding. The pan roasted seafood was pure perfection. It was a pleasant surprise to find such exceptional seafood so far away from the coast. Our server Taylor was wonderfully helpful, efficient, and sincerely courteous and friendly.Special Features:
- Best Bar to VisitMarcDined on 8/13/2014I bring my friends here, that are from out off town. We love the pan roast...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Pan Broils!cjm1Dined on 8/11/2014We always stop when we are through Sparks/Reno -- we love the fresh oysters on the half shell and the pan broils -- would not miss a chance to eat here!
- THE BEST PAN RAOST IN THE WORLDSunnySWDined on 8/2/2014John's Oyster Bar is the best, bar none, seafood restaurant in Northern Nevada!! It is known around the country for its' Pan Roasts & they are the BEST IN THE COUNTRY!! Their Gumbo is delicious, as well as their Seafood Louie's!! The bread is fabulous!! The Nugget has the BEST DESSERTS IN THE AREA!! Fabulous Restaurant!! Great Service!! Do Not Miss This One!! A True Gem!!Special Features:
- oyster barRenobatDined on 8/1/2014We went to the oyster bar during Hot August Nights. Glad we went for early dinner and had reservations. Nice place, we plan on going again. The lobster roll was bland, but the shrimp cocktail was very good. Rest of dinner was excellent. We were never offered dessert. But overall it was a decent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Fish-N-Chips!cjinrenoDined on 7/31/2014The oyster bar at the Nugget is always a treat with excellent seafood dishes and a casual and "seaworthy" atmosphere. Thanks Nugget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always come to this restaurantfoodie2Dined on 7/28/2014Great food but if crowded sometimes service can be slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMY!mikestastebudsDined on 7/26/2014Quick service, staff was accommodating. The seafood is very fresh at a very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs Cleaningnz50Dined on 7/1/2014Service was very good, but food is high priced for what you get. Excellent Oysters but mixed seafood cocktail contains very little seafood (lots of celery mix in bottom), for an extreme price. Window trim was covered with dust and food crumbs. I asked for the manager and showed it to her. She was "sorry" only had her position for 2 months. 2 Months, it took only 2 minutes sitting at the table to see the mess. Overall, I would recommend this place if you really want good oysters, deep fried in a light batter and brown just right, but if you are just looking for general seafood, you might want to rethink this unless cost means nothing to you.
- The following 3 reviews are from the JA Nugget - Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- not for date nightstickwithsushiDined on 6/21/2014i would recommend to a friend only because food is great, portion size seems to be smaller from last time i was there years back and all the people in popeye outfits seemed like they were miserable doing their job, still left a 21% tip however it by no means was earnedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodChar2nelDined on 6/20/2014It had been 20 years since we had been to the JA Nugget. Everything was just as good. Great staff who are very friendly. The salmon scampi is excellent and don't forget to try the combo seafood cocktail - very fesh and scrumptious!Special Features:
- Service was the best partLynnaVIPDined on 6/14/2014The service was great and the theme of the restaurant is done "to the nines." I only wish the food was as good. Both the bread and the butter were cold, the chilled seafood cocktail appetizer was just average and the cioppino was almost a puree, and lacked flavor. It was nice to receive the excellent service, but with mediocre food, it isn't likely we will be back.