JA Nugget - Gilleys
1100 Nugget Ave
Sparks, NV 89431Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
JA Nugget - Gilleys
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://janugget.com/
- Phone: 8006481177x
- Hours of Operation:
Open: Wednesday - Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Michael Norton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access
A word from JA Nugget - Gilleys
Gilley's is proud to feature a wide selection of bar-b-que menu items including our award winning barbecue spit roasted items from the rotisserie. Our meats are dry rub marinated prior to smoking or spit roasting and cooked throughout the day. Our three signature sauces feature flavor profiles from the best barbecue regions in the country, Sweet Carolina Mustard, Jack Daniel's Barbecue Sauce and Mesquite Texas Style Sauce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
JA Nugget - Gilleys - Best Restaurants in Sparks ›
JA Nugget - Gilleys reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (18)good for groups (14)late-night find (10)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (4)romantic (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Real Texas BBQ in Reno, NV.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Relocated to Reno recently, we enjoyed or evening out at Gilley's and give an A for effort on the grub. Great smoked Beef Ribs and Turkey. From what we have found it's the closet thing to Real Texas Bar-B-Que we have found in the area. Liked to have seen some sausage on the menu and a chopped baker 'all the way' Now That's Texas Bar-B-Que! Still searching for the real deal on some low and slow Brisket, mine was average, the portions were generous and the entire staff and service was excellent and the gals working the floor, need I say more?
- Tastey Place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Very good Texas style food with a real Bar-B-Que flavor. Service was very quick, my wife and I were treated very wellSpecial Features:
- Went for my birthdaybtimmonsDined on 9/20/2014We went to Gilleys for my birthday. I ordered the Cowboy Way burger well done. When I got it it was raw, I sent it back and the second one I got was also raw! The waiter asked if I would like him to send it back once again, I declined because by that point I was angry and everyone else in our party was almost done with their plates! I wasnt charged for my burger as i didnt eat it! Everyone elses food was very good they said. Personally I had a bad experience on a special day but seems like an ok place. Just kinda ruined it for me! :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to step it up someMrwhohaDined on 9/20/2014The look and feel of the Bar and Restaurant was great. Looks like a fun spot to party. That being said the food and service were not great. BBQ was mediocre at best. While I saw some employees interacting with the customers (mostly in the bar area) our server was very cold and did not seem happy to be there. They need to step it up or this place just becomes another so so place in a casino.Special Features:
- Dee QuedFLAPSDined on 9/13/2014I read reviews on Reno Gilley's, my wife and I weren't sure we'd go. But we went Sunday even at the busiest hour to see for ourselves. I would agree with a few who say the food isn't "truly BBQ" but is made the smell that way with liquid smoke. BUT -- On the other hand, I would say the meal was very tasty, and the price was impressively low. We had a girl who really knew what quality service was all about, and although they don't allow the Gilley's show girls to serve tables, the eye candy walking around was most pleasurable for my and the wife -- yes my wife can seriously appreciate a good female body when she sees one. I would recommend the place to friends and plan to bring our group from the races there next year.Special Features:
- What a Great timeOur38thDined on 9/12/2014It was the wife and I 38th anniversary and we had a Great time She rode the Bull and we enjoyed the music,service. We had dinner reservations at 7pm they took us right in ,no waiting and the menu had a lot of options, you won't go away hungry. Such a Great atmosphere we didn't leave until 11:00 pm. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ribs were fatty no meatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Would not recommend eating here. Food was not hot. The only saving grace was the beans. Wife's pulled pork salad was greasy and way too much dressing. With only two other tables in use we got stuck by the kitchen. We moved to another table on our own.
- Great Night OutRenoReviewerDined on 8/23/2014Went to check out the new Gilley's in Sparks with a few friends. I knew it would be a fun atmosphere, but I had no idea the food would be so good. Special props on the burgers. Look forward to going there again soon. Reasonable prices on the menu too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffDined on 8/23/2014I been to several Gilleys in the past and have had very good BBQ. The Gilleys in JA Nugget was not one of those places. I ordered the St Louis ribs, the rub was good but the meat was tough and very fatty, to say the least I had to RIP the meat off the bone. Others that were with me had a mixture of a brisket sandwiches and all stated that the meat tasted good but was tough, fatty and not moist. This will be my only visit to this Gilleys unless they change their meat selections and cooking ways.Special Features:
- Bad waiterNewlyweds2dineDined on 8/22/2014Our waiter was either too busy or just really bad at his job because he was horrible. He took awhile to take our drink orders then took our food order but at anytime during the night he never refilled our drinks. It took awhile for the food to arrive and he brought it then we never saw he again for like 20 mins when he asked if we wanted dessert. My steak was undercooked so I had to eat only the edges and I wanted steak sauce but he wasn't around to ask or tell. He continued this bad service during dessert as well my husband had to get from our table and find him to ask for my iced tea refill.
- I love this barthomasDined on 8/21/2014Had a great time in dining area, food (barbecue) was very tasty, service was great and price was real moderate. Mossied into bar, bull riding was quite entertaining as guest participated, live country music (great) and dance was really a lot of fun.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014There were two children running around trying to stab people with forks. Although the mother who was ignoring them should have been the one to stop this, I feel the management should have stepped in because there were several blind people walking around who could have been injured due to these out of control children. The servers were just looking at them and smiling indulgently. We will never come back to Gilley's.
- Plain menuMenuDined on 8/15/2014No specials. The food on the menu was very cliche. Nothing memorable.Special Features:
- RichDined on 8/15/2014Really enjoyed. Wish more variety on food list . Would like to have restaurant face bar so adults with kids can feel like they are part of all the fun! All tasteful, the girls were great. Love the bull!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time hereMichkeiDined on 8/15/2014We were staying at the Nugget and went for my birthday. We love bbq~~and I myself love ribs. But these ribs werent as good as I like, they had too much of a smokey flavor. The baked beans were good and the green bean casserole was good. I was disappointed in the ribs myself. My adult kids love mac n cheese, but werent a fan of this mac n cheese. Maybe because it was white cheddar. The prices are great and I will go back and try something else. Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!FoodsRmeDined on 8/14/2014As this is fairly new, I still expected there might be some issues, but I was pleasantly surprised. Prices were better than expected. Where else could you get a nice, ice cold draft 16 ox beer Budweiser) for $3? We didn't order any appetizers as we are generally light eaters. Wife & I both had a the 'build your own' combo, which is great to try different items. Substitutions were made easily and without question. The beef brisket was the best I ever had and the St' Louis ribs just fell off the bone. I have been to Lucille's and this was far better than any food I had there. From the Hostess to the end, it was a great food experience. Plenty of screens playing country music. The night we went, there was also live country music. Great value.Special Features:
- BBQ and funyehhawDined on 8/9/2014We made reservations because it was Saturday night so we used open table. the hotel gave us a dining credit so we went. I was apprehensive because of the scantily glad waitresses but they were only in the bar. Menu was well rounded and lots of options. Our food was served promptly and service was good. The fries were room temp and seemed a bit stale. but portions were huge and price was reasonable 8.95 for club sandwich with fries and it was giant. Drinks served in mason jars love it and tvs through-out our restaurant where you could be amused at people riding the mechanical bull. There were lots of families but no kids menu don't really think its a kid place.Special Features:
- Bad Family ReunionIwantedmoreDined on 8/3/2014Ours was a party of seven. We called ahead for a reservation and were seated immediately. A busman brought us water within a few minutes but it took our waitress (Sally) forever (twenty minutes) to get around to taking our order. The meal was delivered in a timely manner with very few errors. The corn side dish was so smoky that it tasted like it was sautéed in diesel. The corn bread was a hit. The turkey was too smoky to eat. Both steaks faired better. Our biggest disappointment was that Sally completely disappeared. There was no one in our section and no one to take care of the poor food. Not the best outing.
- The worst wait staff everLanderlinarezDined on 7/23/2014Worst wait staff acted like we bothered them for a refill one bus boy was better then all waitresses I waited 30 min to get our check after finishing and asking for it. It was my sisters 50 birthday all she wanted was to go there. Food ok but we were so distracted by not getting our drinks butter dessert that it ruined her birthday. She was mad that I left a tip. We moved to bar. Group of 6 20 min no one would ask us for drinks finally I stopped a gal promised I'd tip good if she kept the drinks coming finally we had a good cocktail waitress after that. She was great. Music Kenny Frye Band was Perfect great voice good songs he worked his crowed and I stayed way longer because I enjoyed his voice. Only would come again if music was right.Special Features:
- Latest fineBillinFernleyDined on 7/23/2014A very good steak house with great attending waitresses. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and pricesTsmickeymouseDined on 7/18/2014I'm amazed at how cheap the meals are and how fantastic everything tastes!! This was our second time and loved it just as much as the first time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedeasygoingDined on 7/18/20141) Many open tables yet get seated against a huge pole in front of the server station. heavy traffic and noisy. 2) Took 14 minutes for server then expected us to order everything at once (i.e, drinks, appetizer and dinner) 3) Server made no suggestions (Drink sizes, specials, recommended food items). Just stood there. 4) The combo appetizer was pretty good. The western egg rolls were the best item of the night next to the jalapenos cornbread. Rib sampler with pork (pretty dry and hard to get off bone) and beef (tasted good but nearly 20% fat). Also a steak medium (received very rare). 5)Be ready for a 10% “Entertainment Tax.” I guess due to the eye candy (a.k.a bar waitresses) walking around and the big screens playing music videos.
- Dinner Monday NightLupster1950Dined on 7/14/2014It took over 10-15 minutes for a server to take our beverage order. I had to go to the hostess station to ask for service and even then it took a few minutes. Food quality was pretty good but i was quite disappointed in the taste of the BBQ and Mustard sauces. Additionally they were out of about 4 beers listed on the menu. There appeared to be quite a few servers milling around so i don't understand the delay, plus there were only about 25% of the tables occupied. I will for sure give Gilley's another chance as i realize they have recently opened and may not have their staff situated fully.Special Features:
- Great BBQTanks6315Dined on 7/11/2014The food was great. Best BBQ in town. The staff was attentive. The noise level was way too loud. Talking was almost impossible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food; Too Loud in Dining AreaGreatGrubLessLoudnessDined on 7/11/2014Food and service (from Star) were great! Noise level in restaurant was over the top, even painful to ears and definitely a detractor to a pleasant dining experience. We couldn't carry on a conversation within our group without a lot of effort trying to hear and be heard over all the outside noise and people at other tables trying to talk above the noise level. Need soundproofing and some booths for more private dining. Man on the mic coulda turned it down some too! I don't think diners needed or cared to hear what was going on outside the dining area. Everyone in our group agreed that our meal was excellent, but it was too loud to have a decent conversation. If the noise level were reduced, it would be an ideal dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dontgoDined on 7/8/2014apps were good but meal was sub par ribs over smoked and the sauce was burnt mac and cheese taste like milk brisket had no flavor
- DisappointingdacoolDined on 7/6/2014Maybe it is too new and the staff are learning. It was my daughter's 13th bday. I called in advance to ensure she could ride the mechanical bull. The person answering said 13 should be okay so we booked it. After arriving at the Nugget there were no signs indicating Gilley's. Again, perhaps too new. Eventually found it. While being seated I asked the hostess about the bull and she said it was for 21+. I mentioned my earlier call and she said she would see what she could do. We never heard from her again. Some response should have been expected. I put "birthday" information in the special event box in the OpenTable form. Never any mention from the staff. Not that we "needed" the staff singing a song but the lack of any mention was telling.
- Great BBQJr98110Dined on 7/4/2014Some of the best St Louis style ribs I've ever had! The beef ribs are fall off the bone tender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2014The food was excellent. The beef ribs were delicious - very large and meaty. The brisket was tender and had a great smoke ring. Unfortunately the service was lacking. In the middle of placing our order the waitress just walked away to another table. No warning. Just disappeared. Our order came out wrong. We were charged an additional amount for requesting fries instead of mashed potatoes. The waitress did correct that and removed the charge. Be aware that there is a 10% entertainment tax if you receive your bill after the band starts playing. Not the restaurant's fault. State law.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTING!!luv2dineDined on 6/27/2014When I got there the front door doesn't have a way to know if you have dinner reservations or not they all think everyone that comes in is for the Saloon. I was seated and promptly greeted by my sever that's where the positive ends! The Server did not know the whole menu, when I asked questions he did not know the answers. when I got my meal and drink , I had the brisket,green bean casserole,mash potatoes & corn bread. the brisket was ok just barely warm the green bean casserole, the beans were raw the corn bread was burnt and mash was served like i was in a five star restaurant not like in a bbq joint that i was i I went to go use the restroom they closed it said there was too many people to have it open then they tried to take my dinnerSpecial Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the JA Nugget - Gilleys reviews archive.