Ja' Grill Restaurant & Lounge
1008 West Armitage
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
JamaicanPrice: $30 and under
Ja' Grill Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jagrill.com/
- Phone: 7739295375
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Wed 5pm-10pm (dinner only) Thu 5pm-11pm (dinner only) Fri-Sat 11am-11pm (lunch/dinner) Sun 11am-3pm (brunch/lunch), Sun 3pm-10pm (lunch/dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Jamaican
- Executive Chef: Herbert "Errol" Gallimore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Contact: email@example.com
- Special Events: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Ja' Grill Restaurant & Lounge
Ja’ Grill Restaurant & Lounge invites you to experience the Islands right here in Chicago. Serving "authentic Jamaican cuisine." If you like spicy, we have it! If you like plenty of flavors, we have them too. Jerk Chicken, Curry Goat, Ox Tails, Red Snapper (Escoveitch), Rice and Peas, Cabbage and Carrots, Plantains, and Beef/Chicken/Veggie Patties to name a few signature dishes. Or perhaps sip on a Red Stripe, a Cozy Island Cocktail, or signature “Ja’ Rum Punch,” while listening to Jamaican/Caribbean beats upstairs while dining, or downstairs in the lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ja' Grill Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)romantic (5)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not badUnforgettable81Dined on 8/1/2014This place is very small but overall a nice place for dinner. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time !ShopalotDined on 7/26/2014The service was great and the good was fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great!YanidaynaDined on 7/12/2014Good food. Very authentic, you can tell from the chefs rice and pease that this place is legitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than AverageYummersDined on 7/11/2014I enjoyed the food, drinks and atmosphere. Our server was helpful but not very attentive. It was a good experience overall.Special Features:
- Not Good...MzNeauxlaDined on 7/11/2014We had a reservation for 8:30PM, but we were told we had to wait 20 minutes. We were sent to wait in a dark, dank, "lounge" that had a bar with no bartender. We had to wait 45 minutes for a table, past our reservation time! We got upstairs and things didn't get any better. The food was terrible. Cold cabbage, watery oxtails, and soft plantains. My friend who is from Jamaica said it was the worse he ever had. The chef came to speak with him, but only defended his food saying it was the best in Chicago, NOT! They brought him out a plate of beans & chicken, but still made him pay $18 for the meal. They didn't even offer to have it removed from the bill even though he was clearly dissatisfied. I was disappointed in the food & service.Special Features:
- Authentic diningnikg81Dined on 7/3/2014Great service, authentic dining experience particularly if you've visited Jamaica and are a fan of the local cuisine. Always a great experience here, with food, service, and drinks.Special Features:
- birthday reservationjennDined on 6/21/2014I was only approach once during the whole time I was there to ask if i need it anything. After that I had to keep calling the waitress myself. Was ignored twice. When my friends and I finished eating they pick up the plates of the table. Gave us our tab we were still consuming our Alcohol. We each had 1 drink. We felt that was there way of kicking us out the place. I wouldn't go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food bad serviceThenaDined on 6/21/2014I made reservations so they had a table reserved for me which is awesome! Food was great, drinks were great, and music was even better! But the waitress barely came to our table even though she was really sweet! It took almost 45 minutes to receive our food and about 15 minutes to receive drinks. The waitress was no where to be found when the check came which was a definite bummer when you're ready to goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Experience...QD4U2Dined on 6/16/2014This was not my first time/experience at Ja Grill. I can honestly say it's gone from a choice to non-factor. Made reservation because last time it was packed. "Not this time" in fact the server was the host, server, DJ and bartender. To make matters worse it wasn't busy but we waited a long time for everything. App. -(1) beef patty and jerk wings with honey sauce gross and sticky. Then dinner was another 20-30min wait and the food wasn't even hot. The multi staff/employee wasn't even cool. I'm sure tired or maybe all the shots she had from the neighborhood buddy. Overall horrible experience and my cousins 1st and last time going. Oh and the only reason we stayed is because we already paid $15.00 for parking.
- would not go back -OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014ordered a jerk chicken salad - that looked like it was iceberg lettuce poured from a bag - with 2 cucumber slices and one tomatoe on it and a couple of pieces of chicken cut up - looked and tasted bad. Disappointment. Server was nice.
- Freindly EnviornmentSullyDined on 6/6/2014The staff is very friendly and the food is great! I chose a bad day to visit, because there was another party that had a lot of people attending and we weren't able to hang out in the lounge area. However, the wait staff was very accomodating to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 172 reviews are from the Ja' Grill Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- Take a trip to Jamaica in ChicagoMsWendy68Dined on 5/30/2014Attentive service, fantastic food. We had the jerk catfish and the curried goat. Portion sizes are just right. You get a lot of food for the money. The rum punch is NOT watered down! (bonus points for the bartender!) Save room for dessert. We tried the bread pudding and the rum cake, and were not disappointed. It IS a small place, though, so if you have a thing about sitting close to other diners, you might want to go elsewhere. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- I loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014I really enjoyed myself. I would recommend the restaurant to everyone I know. Can't wait to come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch of Jamaica in ChicagoNEJKEDined on 5/11/2014Our dining experience was awesome!! My four sons took me to Jah Grill for mother's day, and I had a grand time. We all ordered the Brown-stewed Fish, which was served whole. It was full of flavor (not too spicy) and very tasty (not fishy). The rice/ red beans was perfect. I had this in Jamaica, and it felt like we were in Negril. The food, music, staff and the atmosphere was a 5 starr. On of my sons, sho is a DJ, will be mentioning Jah Grill on his showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay...PhillyChiGirlDined on 4/26/2014I love curry chicken, so naturally I ordered curry chicken. The curry sauce was very bland and left much to be desired. We ordered the jerk catfish as an appetizer and it would have been perfect if we didn't have to pick the bone out of each bite we took. The waitress took our order and left to submit it. 40 minutes later she came back to our table to ask us again what we ordered because our order slip was misplaced. It wasn't that busy when we first arrived so I do not understand how or why our slip was misplaced. Overall, I don't think the first impression was good enough for me to return.Special Features:
- Awesome!!nikkiDined on 4/23/2014All was great!! It had been my 3rd time there, food is excellent along with the rum punch :) and the service. I will defiantly be going back and have already told others about it! I'm a realtor and if I'm impressed with a place I share with everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experience overallexperienceDined on 4/18/2014Food was great service was great as well. However $80 for dinner for two people is ridiculas I most likely won't return.Special Features:
- awesome food!JonathanDined on 4/13/2014The food was awesome! I was here for brunch, which has a great selection of dishes including fruit as well. You definitely cannot pass up the drink menu, especially the rum punch! There were also sports games on tv which is just what I needed to see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchMonkeyFuDined on 3/30/2014Ja Grill is the go to brunch spot for my friends and I. Great food and the all you can eat is a fabulous value for the kind of great food you are getting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Jamaican FoodFlowerDined on 3/29/2014Excellent Jamaican food, great service and clean - will definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Ideal for winter bluesHIChgoDined on 3/21/2014Hate the long winter? Warm up at Ja'Grill. Loved and savory flavors! I've been here twice and will be back a lot more. It may not feel like spring in Chicago, but the punch and background music made for a spring break feel. The shrimp curry and all the jerk dishes don't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food AWESOME Drinks!BettyDined on 3/19/2014I've been to this restaurant quite a few times and it never dissapoints . The food is delicious and the drinks are AMAZING. Food took a little long but it was a very busy day so I suggest to make reservations ahead of time just in case.Special Features:
- Excellent food and worth theTraceeDined on 3/16/2014Excellent food and worth the drawbacks....crowded, make reservations and noisy....not bad things...just not the best for a first date or large groups...but the food is unbelievably good!!!!!!! Worth every penny....service is fair...
- If it wasn't for the food,...jlo773Dined on 3/15/2014Food: The food there is fantastic. Love the jerk and curried meat dishes, rice an' peas (red beans and rice), plantains, and flavorful veggies. Service isn't great. Checking in is awkward as there is very little room and you find yourself huddled in the doorway. Don't call the restaurant (you'll get put on hold indefinitely) just make your reservations on OpenTable, show up on-time, and don't bring extra people (you will be turned away w/ a larger group than what you have reserved). Not the friendliest of staff, but at the end of the day it's all about what's going on in the kitchen and everything coming out of the kitchen is great. Turn a blind eye to the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014This I was my first time attending the restaurant food is good but the service was horrible ! I waitied a whole 45min. For service waitress was all over the place and lack focus when it came to customers . And wait another 25 min for drinks . The waitress made this experience not a great one.Special Features:
- Love it!CheersDined on 3/14/2014Always enjoy our outings to Ja Grill. Great food, great drinks...over all great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have visited Ja Grill Many TimesSandiDined on 3/11/2014We have visited Ja Grill Many Times in the past. It appears they have new wait staff who were'nt as friendly as those in the past. We had the brown stewed chicken inwhich I thought would be like home but it was nothing like it. Our favorite part of dinner was dessart " apple bread pudding with a shot of rum" 'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodYoYoDined on 3/9/2014The flavors and quality of food has been very good and consistent on each of my visits. I appreciate consistent quality.Special Features:
- After theater dining experiencepjonesDined on 3/9/2014This restaurant was absolutely perfect for after-theater matinee dinner. The food was spot on, our server was knowledgeable and quite friendly. If I had a complaint it would be the restrooms which need attention. Would recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Place with Good Drinks....Shar81Dined on 3/8/2014First off, the place is smaller than I thought it was Thank God I reserved a table. Drinks.. Purple Rain and Rum Punch. RP was too strong for me but everyone else liked. I am a wine drinker so I should have known better than to order it. Appetizers we ordered- Honey Wings. Niether of us liked it. Its an acquired taste I guess. Our food took over 45 min. I orderd jerk shrimp dinner with dbl cabbage and he had Ox tail dinner. I tried his they were decent. My shrimp was good but really spicy. I generally love cabbage but this one was not as good. Our table agreed Uncle Joe's food is much better but the ambience here and the drinks are cool so its a good spot for that. Ladies, the bathroom stalls are EXTRA tight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ja Grill, AwesomeMB60657Dined on 3/7/2014Best kept secret in Chicago. Thank you to the staff for making it so welcoming!Special Features:
- Disappointed!bighDined on 3/7/2014My date and I were very cramped and uncomfortable! We were right on top of each other with no privacy or elbow room! The DJ was good for ambiance, but you can't have a conversation because you can't hear over the music! When the restaurant first opened the food was excellent. Now it doesn't even compare to local neighborhood jerk joints! I won't be back!!! It was waaaaay over priced and the food was not good!!! Really!!! I eat out regularly and I enjoy good food! Ja' Grill will be removed from my list!
- Nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014The food is really good. I've thrown a party here once even though the space is very limited the staff is very friendly and the food is GREAT!!!Special Features:
- Great Experiences.MskimberDined on 3/7/2014I have been here several times. Good food & drinks. I even had private party there & all guest thoroughly enjoyed. Great place to experience Jaimaican delicacies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Food is AMAZING and TheOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014The Food is AMAZING and The Drinks are AMAZING... I love going there when I visit ChicagoSpecial Features:
- good timeharrylynwoodDined on 3/5/2014Was very nice wish they had parking live music would be super but I had a goodtimeSpecial Features:
- BdayExqusitetastezDined on 3/1/2014I arrived several hours late, due to weather conditions they were closing and still served my group hot fresh food and never rushed us out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFood4junkieDined on 3/1/2014If you're looking for some great Jamaican cuisine & lounge, this is the place.The food & ambience was great. The DJ was playing some great music which was loud but perfect for still having a conversation. Definitely plan to visit this gem on later dates especially in the spring & summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Jerk dishes & Rum Punch!JeffDined on 2/27/2014We have been several times but always order Jerk something. Additionally, we always get the rum punch. We set out to try something new but these are so perfect, it is had to resist. I would also like to mention that the understated "peas and rice" otherwise known as "beans and rice" is exceptional. We tried the jerk pork this time and were also very pleased. Our next trip will press us to try the snapper. We also want to try one of their other rum drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around favorite placeBillDined on 2/15/2014The food here is outstanding and the staff are excellent. It can get a little crowded though and despite (yet another) snow storm the place was packed. There wasn't much room to wait either, but they took care of us with a round of drinks for the wait. I am always very pleased with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.